Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1852

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1020175 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #2310 on: November 27, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »

You never want to make any moves shaman.

But then, I would appear have very little influence over Scott & Steve.

With the Wizards on the verge of holding a fire sale Scott $ Steve are in a position to decide if we want to use next summer's cap space now.  I submit Bradley Beal is worth the squeeze.  That is all.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
The Intersection of Fantasy & Reality
« Reply #2311 on: November 27, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »

You want to contemplate possible deals? 

Fair enough. 

Berman in the POST reports that teams have inquired as to Damyean Dotson's availability. 

I really, really like DD.  Good body at 6'6".  Plays with fire and defensive commitment.  Has a good three point stroke. 

Seems to have fallen out of the rotation again. 

As per Berman's conspiracy theories, his conjecture is that DD represents a last gasp of the Phil Jackson/Clarence Gaines Brain Trust. 

I think that might be something of a stretch. 

Still...

What appears to have happened is that in terms of the starting lineup, where during Knox's absence, DD was getting starts and serious minutes at SF.

Hezonja has taken those minutes, and Knox coming in behind him, as Vonleh has solidified his stature at PF in tandem with Kanter at center. 

As for SG, Timmy is presently a lock, until details of the Beal Trade are finalized, with Mudiay emerging as the starting PG with Burke in rotation behind him. 

As such, when, as is often the case, Fizz goes three-guards, French Frank draws first blood at the 3-spot, and Trier at the 2-spot. 

What Allonzo appears to have going for him in comparison to DD, is his ability to bring the ball up and to create his own shot off the dribble. 

Presently out of the rotation? 

Dotson

Baker

Lee

Clearly, Lee is going to see some daylight at the 2 & 3, both for his veteran leadership, his steadying influence, his three point and FT prowess, and as a showcase for possible trades. 

How will this play out? 

Hint.

We are not getting Fultz.  We are not getting Beal. 

Expiring contracts and/or draft picks would seem more plausible. 

One, two or all three of our excess wings could be going, going, gone...

I believe the Knicks "Brain Trust", if we may be so bold, would like to find some minutes on the big roster for Kornet and to give Trier a big boy contract. 

Meanwhile, John Jenkins has been putting up Burke-like numbers for Westchester. 

"Boss, the plane, the plane..." 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: November 27, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »

The takeaway here is we have assets to move.  Guys who are not in our rotation.  Guys who are.  Guys with ending deals.

We can be in the trade game if we so desire.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: November 27, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »

With the Wizards on the verge of holding a fire sale Scott $ Steve are in a position to decide if we want to use next summer's cap space now.  I submit Bradley Beal is worth the squeeze.  That is all.

See my last post. 

We have a glut of wings. 

Beal is no doubt a genuine talent. 

However...

A) We have a log jam of wings at the 2 & 3

B) We are just starting to get some chemistry going

C) I believe your call, or was it Biz's, was Kanter and Mudiay for Beal

D) This would presuppose us going forward with NO CENTER (loves me some Mitchell, but he ain't ready), and that Beal is our point of the future in a back court with Timmy

That's all...

I apologize for being such a damp dish rag vis a vis trades conjecture...

But I am kind of enjoying the baby steps we have been making, and the palpable improvements we are witnessing on such flawed piece as Enes & Emmanuel. 

This all being chin music in any event, me never wanting to make any moves? 

Mmmmm...more like wanting to commit to building chemistry. 

Be that as it may, you and I are both captive to the machinations of Scott Perry moving forward, such as they are. 

But no, even in the pure realm of pure fantasy, I am not a fan of making moves for the sake of making moves. 

Anyway, vis a vis the machinations of Kam-Facil-Biz-Nagel, I shall attempt to recuse myself from such discussions, given my wet noodle status. 

Let the trading begin...anew. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »

See my last post. 

We have a glut of wings. 

However...

So we could  move some of those wings in our log jam for one of THE best wings in the game.

Wizards might take a Lee or a Hardaway within a larger package.

Give to get.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 27, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »

See my last post. 

We have a glut of wings. 

However...

So we could  move some of those wings in our log jam for one of THE best wings in the game.

Wizards might take a Lee or a Hardaway within a larger package.

Give to get.

Perhaps. 

Would seem a kind of cruel betrayal of Hardaway, as well as he has been playing and as committed as he has been to his coach and team mates. 

Again, spoil sport that I am, I took a similar position vis a vis Butler, also an exemplary player. 

I am, alas, a bit gun shy about changing horses in mid-stream, Kam. 

Beal would likely cost us more than spare parts, least ways, I DO NOT CONSIDER Timmy, Emmanuel, Enes spare parts. 

Hard to imagine us even being in a discussion without including our #1 pick as well. 

True, I am unduly conservative in such matters, and while I am sure we are going to take plenty of lumps going forward, the last three wins were most encouraging, and validated the patience Fizz has shown in our flawed assets, even as he is playing wheel of fortune with personnel. 

I genuinely like the starting lineup that has emerged of Kanter-Vonleh-Hezonja-Hardaway-Mudiay. 

True, all still works in progress, but what did Fizz say about our pups learning how to take a punch, and still come back. 

I re-watched the second half of the Memphis game yesterday, and was very encouraged by how we came back from a deficit in the third quarter and held on against a tough ass team. 

Believe me, I get the allure of a Jimmy Butler and a Bradley Beal. 

And is there a precedent for trading our starting center and starting PG and it working out?

Well, yes actually.

Walt Bellamy & Howard Komives for Dave DeB. 

Willis moved over from PF to C. 

Clyde moved from the bench to starting PG. 

Dave became the starting PF. 

Bradley became the starting SF.  Cazzie the Sixth Man. 

I do not see a similar match chemistry wise in our present roster. 

KP still out. 

Trading Kanter leaves us with NO CENTER. 

Trading Mudiay leaves us with Beal & Hardaway as the starting back court. 

Again, ALL IN THE REALM OF FANTASY. 

But I really like how Kanter and Mudiay have stepped up in recent weeks, and not because it amps up their trade value. 

This Knicks team is not in the same developmental stage we were when we offloaded our starting Center and PG 50 years ago. 

Oh, and just to draw another parallel. 

We made a trade with the Bullets not too long after that, which might give on pause. 

We traded SF Dave Stallworth and SG Mike Riordan for SG Earl Monroe. 

To my way of thinking, Clyde & Earl was a better balance than Timmy and Bradley would be. 

But, hey, what do I know. 

We also traded young Cazzie for veteran Jerry Lucas, when Willis began to break down. 

I am, you see, a little gun shy about SHINY OBJECTS.  The Carmelo Anthony Trade soured me on that concept.  Melo put up some serious numbers for us.  But the only playoff burn we got was with Jason Kidd, and he flamed out by the second round. 

I believe the play is STILL, to construct a sustainable edifice around Porzingis. 

And yes, to create cap space. 

But I still believe that patience is a virtue and rarely have we exercised such restraint in the past. 

I am not frustrated by our conservative bent at the moment, but encouraged. 

CHEMISTRY. 

Hey, even Don Carlos is toying with the notion of signing on as a Positive Pussy. 

Who knows.  Maybe Detroit cleans our clock tonight.  Not sure we have an answer for Blake. 

We shall see. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Jungle Drums
« Reply #2316 on: November 27, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »

Smoke signals from the West floating the idea of Brandon Ingram in some package for Beal. 

Even packaging Ingram and Pope, numbers simply don't work. 

This, by the way, is where salary cap space comes in handy. 

A third team, facilitating such a deal, could perhaps garner a #1 pick for their troubles. 

chipstern

• View Profile
PS
« Reply #2317 on: November 27, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »

Personally, I don't think the Wizards are having a fire sale. 

Butler was pushing for a trade. 

Beal is not. 

They had a rough start. 

Worth remembering that we are all still in NOVEMBER. 

One Quarter of the season gone. 

Knicks are 7-14. 

And actually within hailing distance of the 8th playoff spot. 

Wizards are 8-12. 

Hardly the end of the world. 

Beat Houston last night. 

Rockets are 9-10.  Are they having a fire sale? 

Celtics are 11-10.  WTF?

Meanwhile, Dwayne Casey's Pistons are 10-7. 

Be interesting to see which Knicks team shows up tonight. 

And tomorrow against the Sixers.  YIKES. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: November 27, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

We may never lose another game.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 27, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »

Knix could offer Tim and Mud for Beal.
Would save Wiz money, give them a replacement SG and a backup PG, which they need.

If Wiz liked Tim and were interested, they'd counter with expanding the deal to include a Kanter for Mahinimi swap.  That's an ending deal for a solid offensive player for another $15M year of Mahinmi, who is kind of a stiff.  I guess it covers Chip's No Center worries (sort of).

- WASH saves some good money ($15M) next year, replaces Beal's offense while saving another $8M, improves their bench significantly, hopes the Wall/Beal non-chemistry was the root of their lameness,  while getting a free look at Mud and Kant.

- Knix gain an all-star level SG, upgrading from Tim to Beal, a two-way player and more experienced offender.  Knix cash in Mud and reduce their PG rotation to Franc and Burke.  Taking on the Mahinmi extra year is the price of doing business (and not having to kick in a 1st rounder).  Does add another C to the roster so both he and Mitch can foul everyone in sight.  Mahinmi would be our newest reclamation project.  Basically cashing in the ending deals and play of Mud and Kant to upgrade at SG.

Tricky.  I'd nervously do it.  Got to give to get.
KZ & Beal are 2-way players who can shoot from distance and do a lot besides.   2 all-star level starters for the long-term. 
Menawhile: Burke/Beal for O; Franc/Beal for D.

Knix get the best player in the deal.  Take on salary to do it.
Knix still need to gin up a genuine starting PG, but IND is doing all right the past two years with Collison; ORL this year with Augustine.  Burke/Franc is all right for another year or so until we can seriously upgrade at PG.

Knix:
Burke - Beal - Knox - Vonleh - Mitch
Franc - Trier - Zonja/Dot - (KZ) - Mahinmi

Soon to be:
Burke - Beal - Knox - Vonleh - KZ
Franc - Trier - Datsun - (Zonja) - Mitch

I'd rather grow with that then what we currently have.
Be on the lookout for a starting PG and a solid F.
We'd have a high draft pick coming.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 27, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »

Wiz have the highest payroll and just aren't a contender.
The Wall-Beal-Porter core hasn't cut it.
They've underperformed for years now.

Doesn't help that Ernie G cannot construct a bench.
But easier to trade players than fire yourself.

Last off-season they jettisoned Gortat. 
Wiz played much better as a team when Wall was out last year and Gortat verbalized that getting on Wall's bad side.

WAS needs to move Wall or Porter or Beal.
One of them is gone by trade deadline if WIZ can find a decent deal.

Wall has an insane contract set to kick in and it's hard to replace a starting PG.  (Lonzo/Ingram?).  Porter seriously overpaid for what he provides.  Beal is moveable and desirable.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 27, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »

BTW, on my NYK-WaWiz trade proposal.
If you don't want to do the Mahinmi-Kanter swapola, Knix could counter with this year's 1st rounder (on the theory that there's not a PG to draft Top 8 and we have already a good deal of yute) and maybe one of Dot/Trier.

But really WASH needs the money savings on any WallBealPorter deal.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 27, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »

I'll do Bos trade.  It's a no-brainer for me.  Unless you can guarantee KD will come.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 27, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

Upgrading from Tim to Beal alone is worth playing with Luke Kornet at C for the rest of the year.  But sure, if it saves us our picks i'll take on Mahinmi's deal.  In fact, his deal would have value the following trade deadline to possibly take on another high salaried player who wants out from their team or whose team is willing to deal.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:34:05 PM by Kam »

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 27, 2018, 03:38:03 PM »

we currently sit at #5.  you don't trade that pick.

this is a very good draft.

Dotson is a better player than Super Mario.

why is Dotson open the block instead ?
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1852