Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 1853

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1079647 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #3765 on: January 26, 2019, 07:23:23 AM »

Wonder if Mud hurt his shoulder pushing off on someone to get a paint shot off. 

Otherwise, just one month to plan something Big for Jimmer's 30th birthday.  Scola's on his team, and he's coming up on 40 39 in a few months.  Still gooning and chumping fools.  I'm casually glancing at a SH Sharks game and after a made basket, Scola gets the inbounds, lumbers up court and it's 2-on-4 so he shoots a straightaway 3.  Odd.  It kicks around the rim a bunch and drops through.

Sharks also have the very tall Max Zhang who was briefly on some NBA bench.  Xinjiang his Haddadi,  who went for something like 27 & 25.  Like an Iranian Kanter (at least in China).

At least what I'm seeing it's not the same put-the-ball-in- Jimmer's-hands-every-time offense.  Jim Jam also seems rather off in this game (1st half v. Xinjiang).  A somewhat subdued 28 points for JimJam, who hit a key late 3, but then was upset his team never got him another shot in the final 20 secs.

The CBA is really poor hoops though.  Lot of terrible turnover that would have me shaking my head in my regular weekly games.  Dumb fouls.  Lackadaisical D.  Even for the Jimmers, Jamaal Franklins, Pierre Jax, Darius Adams guys who dominate, it's still a proving ground for bad habits on both ends.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:48:23 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

I think more Bigs should emulate Ed Davis.  Just plays a simple smart game.  Set a solid pick and head rimwards.  Find an open spot and camp out ready.  Look for an open line and crash the boards.  He puts pressure on the other team by just getting into the right position.  Really just basic solid old-fashioned PF work.  Mitch could do watching some Ed Davis tape.

I was surprised that POR let him go instead of paying relatively small money.  Apparently he's a terrific teammate too -- there was an article a month back saying how everyone loves him from all his stops, I think he's godfather to a Lillard kid, etc.  I like Napier too, but he's a scorer and non-defender and POR's starting guards are similar.  Both good cheap pickups by BKY.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: January 26, 2019, 11:03:07 AM »

Well, whaddayaknow -- Knix were on Chinese Tv again, so I caught a full game replay in one hour.  And not like those poorly edited, now-move-forward-in-the-action excise job MSG shows. 

Burks and Napier rather similar players.
Knix had trouble with Nape's speed.

Terrible 1st half for Tangelo.  Capped by getting a T from the bench.
Then to start the 3Q looked like he threw a pass to the official.  I wonder about his focus.

I never heard of Pinson, but he had a nice impact.  Kept Nets in it the 1st half.

Datsun looked detached.  Where's the energy?
Why didn't Courtly get all of Datsun's minutes?

Nets had 4 bench players in double figures!

Damn, Ed Davis finished with 17 & 16 (7 O-boards).  Sure pays to make yourself available and in position to get things done.  His FT's looks like he's about to unleash a Noah tornado though.

Knox had a decent 1Q and then disappeared. 

11 3's is way too many for Vonleh.  Nets played off him all game outside.  he could have taken another 8.  But as Clyde likes to say, 'Sometimes you're open for a reason.'

A nothing game from Tim.  And Franc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:15:57 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: January 26, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

Saw part of the game. Grim. Hate to get your ass kicked by the Nets.

Feels like Knicks now spiraling in wrong direction. If there's a right way and a wrong way to lose, this is the latter.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: January 26, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »

A nothing game from Tim.  And Franc.

Actually Franc had a very lovely, glimpse of the future, first quarter.

https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1088965044946255872

https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1088963664877678592

https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1088962682924027904

Disclaimer: I didn't watch anything after the first quarter as I had a birthday party to go to, and I know how these things end.

*** I'm going to say this for the last time. This boy is going to have a fine career, with significant roles on winning teams — no doubt whatsoever — even if the odds keep going down that he's going to have it here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:57:10 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: January 26, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »

Franc had some decent plays here and there, but picked up too many minor fouls, was tentative with his shot (front-rimmed an open 8 footer; clanked a wide-open 3).  He barely played the middle quarters when Burke got burn.  And in the 4Q Franc didn't do much (except minor fouls).

I kind of like Franc, even if I sometimes compare him to Darrell Walker.
But he has to expand his offense significantly.  It's not even necessarily about scoring.  He needs to be able to run the team.  But he can't be afraid to shoot or drive.  And for now, his D is overrated.  He puts in long-armed effort but fouls too much.

Is Franc going to become an NBA starting PG?
Hope so, but I'd guess he's 3 or 4 years away from that.
A definite issue for NYK, and one of the reasons Mudman was brought in.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• View Profile
I forget, was that his 12th or 16th career start at PG? Birdboxers All Over...
« Reply #3771 on: January 26, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »

decent plays here and there.
D'overrated.
lol.

When I checked out, D. Russel who has been on a tear was invisible, and the Knicks were right in it. That's what matters.

He front-rimmed this. He la'la'd that.
Apply the same scrutiny to the 9 Knox clanked. Or the 12 out of 14 Hardaway clanked.

We all know what Frank needs to do.
He's gonna do it.

If we don't have the time or the plan, there are plenty of coaches who are whetting their lips for the opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:04:17 PM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »

so have we watched 30,000 or 40,000 THJ clanks as he "developed"

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: January 26, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »

Is Franc going to become an NBA starting PG?
Hope so, but I'd guess he's 3 or 4 years away from that.

*Shooting - Well below average for a PG
*Driving      - Kinda just average           
*Ball handling - Average at best
*Passing      -Average
*Defense     -Good against rookies and young players. Average vs veterans.

Long way to go to be a starting PG

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

lesterluv

• View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: January 26, 2019, 06:33:33 PM »

It's like you have an ongoing internal battle to outstupid whatever your previous statement was.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Coach
« Reply #3775 on: January 26, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »

It's like you have an ongoing internal battle to outstupid whatever your previous statement was.

I want Les to coach the New York Knicks.

Kam(s)ter could be an assistant IF:
- Moderates his bong use.
- Breaks free of his Recep chains.

C'mon Les, wouldn't you enjoy being Kam(s)ter's boss? After all, he used to like Frank. Lately, it's just too much weed and too much Recep, but there's hope there, I think.

RECEP AND SOME FRIENDS ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:22:26 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: January 26, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »

Noah can still play

Gettin it done in win vs Pacers tonight

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: January 26, 2019, 11:44:03 PM »

Looked like Tangelo wasn't focused at all.
Once Franc put token backcourt pressure on Russell, who responded by dribbling the ball off his foot.  He retrieved the ball and hurried to get across midcourt in time.  Passed to another Net, got the ball back right away and quickly jacked a 3 that barely grazed the rim.  Did I mention when he picked up his dribble near midcourt, turned and passed the ball to the ref?

Tangelo failed to score much because he picked up a few careless fouls that sent him to the bench.  His own lackluster D prevented him form scoring.

Franc's effort on D is usually better than the results.
Also, that was a game where Franc should have gotten lots of minutes, but his own unnecessary fouls limited his minutes.

As for Tim, I try not to be too negative while he's slumping.  Not a player, contract, nor game I like -- but I've probably made that clear enough over the years.  Glad to see the Knix are finally willing to move him.  Probably won't happen, since he's overpaid, his defense is poor, he's erratic even when not slumping, and the SG position has firmed up leaguewide the past few years.  At least after months of subpar play, he's probably due for a hot streak soon.

Knox (like Trier and Mitch) is a rook.  I'll accept inconsistency and admire the flashes.  The NBA schedule is a huge travel-and-play grind against Men.  Overall, I'd like to see Knox's motor rev higher and he needs to clue in on D.  We do have a team with huge playing time flux and no quality PG play, which doesn't help any rooks.  While I like Knox, he's probably earning around a C grade so far this season. (maybe something like 1Q = B+ and D's for the other 3 quarters)

Concerning that Franc's numbers across the board are almost identical to last year.  Actually they're marginally down in every category.
If Knox repeats his rook year in his second season, I'll start getting worried about him too.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: January 27, 2019, 02:16:27 AM »

I can’t remember any NBA player getting over plantar fasciitis while still out there playing. Fortunately the tank and our depth at SG and guard in general mean it’s not hard to at least limit Tim’ minutes going forward. If there was a run to consider, the wise move would have been to shut him down till the condition improved. As it is, he’ll be shooting and defending as he does.

The thing I am most concerned with about Frank is his one or two late clock throw away passes he seems to have every game. Those tend to be momentum killing plays. I’d rather he jack up a prayer in those situations than force the ill advised pass.

The shot making will come. The shot getting has already advanced dramatically in a season and a half.

The big question surrounding all our youth is will the Knicks’ training program succeed building power and stamina on young skinny frames? If so we have the basis for a projectable core. If not, our young guys are a lot closer to their ceilings, at least for these contracts, than I’d like.

Trier, Dot, Mario, Mudiay, and Vonleh have about the right amount of muscle, Frank, Knox, Mitch, and Kornet still need to thicken up. All of them need to up their stamina. KP is his own set of question marks.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: January 27, 2019, 05:35:57 AM »

I'll look for some Tim deals.

I thought DET could use an injection of anything and especially distance shooting.  Only thing bad is that Bullock is contributing exactly what Tim is ... except at just $2.5M.  And better defense.  Bullock must be one of the lowest paid starters in the NBofA.  [dang, Vonleh is just $1.7M!]

Only DET deal I can really find is Leuer ($10M/$9.5M next year) and  Stan Johnson ($4m) for Tim.  Half of Tim's next year salary would go to Leuer, so it's only half-useful at cap clearing.  We would get a look at young defender Stan John.  He'll become an RFA with a $5.3M qualifying offer.  But then you either let him go or pay him and likely lose almost all the cap space savings from Tim. 

Other complication is DET's cap is bad so they'd want to toss in Jose to make the money match, but Knix don't have that may roster spots.  Plus DET would be degrading their defense.  And might not see Tim as much of an improvement over Bullock.  They might as well keep their defenders in place (Bullock starting and Stan John off the bench), and hope that Kennard can come through as their sharp shooter.  Seems a better path than hoping Tim de-erraticizes . . .

Leuer + GRobIII would also work, but then the Knix get very little for Tim and only half the cap space we'd want (open $8M up).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:37:59 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 1853