Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282300 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3585 on: August 27, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »

The real problem with the Boston Red Sox continues.

The Red Sox didn't hold a team meeting about canceling their game against the Blue Jays in Buffalo as a form of protest. They didn't discuss following the lead of the NBA, which saw its entire slate of playoff games wiped clean, or even the lead of the Celtics, who had made it clear a day earlier that they didn't know if they'd be able to take the floor for Thursday's Game 1 against the Raptors.

Instead, Bradley spoke with manager Ron Roenicke and backup catcher Kevin Plawecki. We only know this because a local reporter criticized the team for not consulting him, and Bradley corrected the record to note the two who did -- which was effectively even more damning. Just the manager and the second-string catcher. No other teammates. No members of the front office? No one in ownership?

Three thousand miles away, a very different scene unfolded. As the Dodgers prepared for batting practice in San Francisco before playing the Giants, Betts told his teammates that he wouldn't play. Rather than leave him on an island, they rallied around him -- Black, White, and Latino -- and reached a decision.

If Mookie's not playing, none of us are.

Betts, unfairly left to shoulder these burdens with just a handful of minority teammates in Boston, sounded legitimately moved.

"I was already tight with everybody in the clubhouse, but now that I know that everybody has my back even more than I already thought, means a lot," he told reporters. "I'll always remember this day. I'll always remember this team just having my back."

Must feel very different for Mr. Betts.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mookie-betts-humbled-dodgers-support-044943620.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: August 27, 2020, 07:09:47 PM »

The real problem with the Red Sox is they suck and have no pitching and are in tank-mode

But they are one team of what looks like 6 teams (3 games) that appear to have been postponed in solidarity with and lend moral support with other US pro athletes protesting racial injustice. It looks like at least 7 MLB games (14 teams) were played so far today.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/scoreboard

But the troll's gotta troll.

SSDD

and fwiw Mookie went 1for-3 in today's first game of a double-header

don't know if he's playing in the night-cap which is scheduled to start shortly.

A more interesting story is the false drama PR stunt that Manfred wanted to fabricate with the Mets about postponing their game

https://www.amny.com/sports/mlb-tried-to-force-mets-marlins-to-play-after-pr-stunt-thursday-night

In a leaked video, New York Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen revealed that MLB commissioner Rob Manfred attempted to pull a public-relations stunt with the Mets and Miami Marlins on Thursday night in response to the growing civil unrest that has mounted since the shooting of Jacob Blake on Sunday.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: August 27, 2020, 09:25:49 PM »

I see you're still pivoting.

Too bad you can't face the reality of the Sox letting their one black player twist in the wind.

Here's more of the true narrative you wish to avoid:
So whenever there are issues about racial injustice that overflow from the national conversation into our sacred world of sports, Bradley has to answer the questions about what it’s like to be playing baseball while Black people are being killed by police officers in the streets.

He’s perfectly adequate at handling the responsibility and would never complain, but most of us in Boston are wondering: where are his teammates? Why can’t one of the white players come out and make a statement, or make himself available to the press to tell Red Sox Nation that the team is upset about the current events and supports Bradley and the other Black players in MLB? Or that they’re engaging Bradley in conversations and trying to learn what they can from him about the rare experience of being a Black big leaguer?

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08/27/jackie-bradley-jr-all-alone-as-red-sox-only-black-player/

Because they don't have to. It's Boston.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: August 27, 2020, 09:52:30 PM »

Still obssessed with Boston and still trolling.

I read last year that African-Americans account for about 8% of MLB players down from around 19% in 1975.

Last year and for several years before that (off the top of my head) the sox employed at least 3 A-A ballplayers, JBJ, Betts and Price (12% of the 25 man roster) or about 50% higher than the MLB average. If I took a look at their 40 man roster I would not be surprsied if I discovered more A-A players.

And as we know the Sox tried for the past two years to sign Betts, first a 8-200 million deal after 2018, and then 10-300 million last year. But it was not to be and they packaged Price (under a long-term contract) and Betts who it appeared would be lost to FA, and traded them to the LADs to max-out their return, and get under the salary cap. Nobody liked the trade.

except of course mindless trolls, who foolishly look at the trade and assign darker motivations to it.

I'd ask you to do better, but we both know you can't.

SSDD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:54:57 PM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: August 27, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »

Pivoting away from the problem doesn't solve it, banks.

You'd rather talk about the Mets than the fact that the Sox abandon minorities on their "team", leaving them on an island of despair and discomfort.

SSDD

Betts left for the cash, pure and simple

No other reason, number one.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: August 27, 2020, 10:24:40 PM »

Because they don't have to. They are paid to play baseball.

FIFY

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: August 28, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »

Pivoting away from the problem doesn't solve it, banks.

You'd rather talk about the Mets than the fact that the Sox abandon minorities on their "team", leaving them on an island of despair and discomfort.

SSDD

Betts left for the cash, pure and simple

No other reason, number one.

Miss the point, much, kid?

They abandoned him by having him face the onslaught of questions by the media regarding the issues surrounding BLM, etc. The posts I put up have nothing to do with Banks's pivot to make it about Betts going to LA.

Read it again. "where are his teammates? Why can’t one of the white players come out and make a statement, or make himself available to the press to tell Red Sox Nation that the team is upset about the current events and supports Bradley and the other Black players in MLB? Or that they’re engaging Bradley in conversations and trying to learn what they can from him about the rare experience of being a Black big leaguer?"

"The Red Sox didn't hold a team meeting about canceling their game against the Blue Jays in Buffalo as a form of protest. They didn't discuss following the lead of the NBA, which saw its entire slate of playoff games wiped clean, or even the lead of the Celtics, who had made it clear a day earlier that they didn't know if they'd be able to take the floor for Thursday's Game 1 against the Raptors.

Instead, Bradley spoke with manager Ron Roenicke and backup catcher Kevin Plawecki. We only know this because a local reporter criticized the team for not consulting him, and Bradley corrected the record to note the two who did -- which was effectively even more damning. Just the manager and the second-string catcher. No other teammates. No members of the front office? No one in ownership?"

Focus, again. Bradley was abandoned by his team, his teammates, and the organization.

Very sad. But not unexpected in Beantown.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: August 28, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »

Bradley went to his manager and told him he did not want to play.

and then his teammates met and agreed to strike and then spoke publcly supporting JBJ

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/27/sports/thursday-red-sox-used-their-voice-stood-with-their-teammate-jackie-bradley-jr/?event=event12

Bradley decided early in the day that he would sit out the game against the Toronto Blue Jays, joining the dozens of baseball, basketball, and soccer players who did that Wednesday night to protest the shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin.

He spoke to manager Ron Roenicke and chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom about his decision and informed his teammates.

But when Bradley took it on again Thursday, his teammates were there to help. Bradley offered them a free pass, saying he’d understand if they went ahead and played. But the Sox met at 4 p.m. and decided to essentially go on strike for a day and add their voices to the movement.

The Blue Jays, who voted to play, quickly lent their support.

Bradley didn’t speak to reporters on Thursday. Teammates Xander Bogaerts, Nate Eovaldi, and Kevin Pillar did. They took on the task of explaining why this is an important issue within baseball and society.

“For us, it’s coming together,” Eovaldi said. “We’re playing a game. We’re on the same team and everything, but we’re a family. I think it comes down to the brotherhood and things like that. I want to be there and support Jackie.”

I imagine scenes similiar to this took place in several MLB clubhouses, where there are just a small handful of black ballplayers (about 8% of 2 players per team).

As usual Utley gets his facts wrong or ignores the facts and constructs a false narrative to feed his gnawing obsession.

As shown, there was no abandonment. But rather 24 other players supported their 1 black teamate and several spoke on his behalf.

Utley intentionally distorts the facts about one of a few teams that supported a black teamate and boycotted last night's game.

SSDD
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:45:03 PM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: August 29, 2020, 10:35:40 AM »

An MLB Forum rises from the ashes

RIP AL Forum

and there is joy in Metville-and it has nothing to do with a double-header sweep of the Ys

Steve Cohen is closing in on buying the Mets

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29762854/alex-rodriguez-group-withdraws-mets-offer-amid-report-steve-cohen-finalizing-deal

Billionaire Steve Cohen has reentered into negotiations to purchase the New York Mets, hoping to salvage a deal for the franchise after a previous agreement to buy the team fell apart, a source familiar with the organization's sale confirmed to ESPN.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: August 29, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »

MLB's trade deadline is Monday at 4 p.m. and Bradley has felt like a candidate to be moved since opening night in July. He's a free agent this fall, he's almost certainly no longer a part of the team's future, and he's probably ready for a change of scenery anyway after eight seasons in Boston.

Objectively, it makes sense to deal him now for something of value before he leaves for nothing this winter, since the Red Sox probably won't make a qualifying offer in these uncertain economic times.

But the last two days have made Bradley the most important member of the Red Sox, and one of the most significant athletes in Boston. As the team's only Black player, he was regrettably left to speak for the entire organization on Wednesday following the decision to play rather than stand in solidarity with NBA players, who had wiped out a night of playoff games with a wildcat strike after yet another incident of police brutality, this time in Wisconsin....

The Red Sox, meanwhile, must continue to reckon with their own dismal history, and not just because they were the last team to integrate. Since 2017 alone, they have found themselves at the center of controversies like Orioles outfielder Adam Jones hearing racist slurs in Fenway Park, a fan earning a lifetime ban for life for saying something similar during the national anthem the very next night, a divisive visit to the White House in 2019, and most players declining to kneel during a moment of unity on opening night in the wake of George Floyd's murder at the hands of a Minnesota police officer.

These things have a way of catching up to an organization.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/can-red-sox-really-trade-jackie-bradley-jr-time-social-injustice

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: August 29, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »

These things have a way of catching up to an organization.

I wonder what explains the Philles historical record of ineptitude, the worst of the original 16 teams?  Was it almost 140 years of bad luck, or poor management, terrible decisions, or perhaps a fan base that is so clueless that management felt all it had to do was put a team on the field to satisfy the moron?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: August 29, 2020, 03:27:13 PM »

According to this article, 20 of 30 MLB teams, boycotted games.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/29/sports/baseball-was-slow-get-board-with-protests/

Baseball doesn’t fit in a bubble. There were 16 games in 11 states and the District of Columbia scheduled on Wednesday. Only three of those games weren’t played.

Baseball caught up a bit on Thursday when seven games were called off. That 20 of the 30 teams felt compelled to act was a historic series of events for the league.

That 10 teams — the Yankees and Cardinals among them — played on is something they’ll have to assess.

Suffice it to say, it can’t be comfortable to be a Black player in any of those organizations.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: August 29, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 469