Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43455 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1170 on: May 10, 2022, 11:07:17 PM »

Nahhhh

Nukes could never be right.

To this day Truman is no great international figure.

Putin doesn't give a fuck about Truman.

Either he is going to get what he wants for Russia, geographically and geopolitically, or he has nothing to lose, as his legacy will not exist (in his opinion).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1171 on: May 10, 2022, 11:45:22 PM »

Nahhhh

He is a hero in my book.

When the bombs dropped my Dad was on a Liberty ship in Buckner Bay that was crammed with creosote soaked timbers for dock construction in Japan.

The Invasion of Japan would have been a tsunami of blood and the longer Japan held out the sooner the Russians would have come at them looking for forty years payback.

Truman probably saved a million lives...

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 11, 2022, 03:42:39 AM »

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/10/us-intelligence-russia-ukraine-war-putin-goals

Putin wants more than just eastern Ukraine.

What a surprise. He lied. Huh. Who could have guessed.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 11, 2022, 09:13:00 AM »

Nahhhh

He is a hero in my book.

When the bombs dropped my Dad was on a Liberty ship in Buckner Bay that was crammed with creosote soaked timbers for dock construction in Japan.

The Invasion of Japan would have been a tsunami of blood and the longer Japan held out the sooner the Russians would have come at them looking for forty years payback.

Quite possibly

But he did play God - and some will never agree he had that right.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 11, 2022, 09:17:28 AM »

Putin doesn't give a fuck about Truman.

Heh

I suppose not.

I think he cares about legacy.  And about acting - once again - in concert with what he feels is "right".

Holly Martins

« Reply #1175 on: May 11, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »

Get it through your head, Oilcan - Putin simply cannot - and will not - use his nuclear arsenal.  It is there for show - on everyone's part.  How it should be - and how it IS.

One could make a Herman Kahn argument that the ICBMs are for show, but Vlads 2000 tactical nukes?  No, those are for battlefield use, and Russia has signaled many many times that they are available for limited exchanges if an enemy comes onto Russian soil.  If you want "show," you keep 100 around, as US does at NATO stations in Europe.  2000 is for fighting with. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1176 on: May 11, 2022, 11:26:04 AM »

Nahhhh

He is a hero in my book.

Quite possibly

Well he did not want to throw nukes at weather events. That is playing God for sure.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 11, 2022, 12:30:30 PM »

Nahhhh

He is a hero in my book.

Quite possibly

Every president plays God.

And to choose whether or not to drop the bombs was playing God, whichever decision he made.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 11, 2022, 12:37:13 PM »

Not so much, Simp.

Be good now.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 11, 2022, 02:30:55 PM »

Not so much, Simp.

Be good now.

Biden with Ukraine.
Trump with the climate, plus the children and the border.
Obama with ACA among other things.
GW Bush with Iraq and Afghanistan.

Every president plays God with millions of lives, even the ones in peace time.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 11, 2022, 05:56:44 PM »

Right now the World Bank is worried about some people running out of food because they relied on Ukraine and Russia for food. So, we need for some areas to expand exports to areas where food is needed.

In the USA we have the potential to produce a lot more food, and we can put the homeless people to work growing food, and we can bring in our refugees from our Southern Border to help to grow food.

California produces a lot of food, including in Bakersfield, Merced, Napa, and in other areas. And we have ports in California. We can send food from California to the areas where food is needed.

We also have Mexico which produces a lot of food, and Mexico wants the trade and they want to do the exports, and we need to invest in the ports in Mexico, Mexico can help to feed the areas where food is needed.

And Colombia grows the best coffee, and they can grow other foods, and they want to do business with the world. Along with Argentina, and other nations in Latin America. There are many nations which really want to expand trade who would love to help to produce food for the people who need food.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 11, 2022, 06:02:51 PM »

Not so much, Simp.

Be good now.

Biden with Ukraine.
Trump with the climate, plus the children and the border.
Obama with ACA among other things.
GW Bush with Iraq and Afghanistan.

Every president plays God with millions of lives, even the ones in peace time.

Truman and only Truman to date.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 11, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »

Luv me  Truman. Found the solution to end hostilities against primitives who were willing to die to the last man. Two flashes, broken windows, mass quantities of smoldering body parts and it was over. Japan became an industrial force for peace.

---There are voices which assert that the bomb should never have been used at all. I cannot associate myself with such ideas. ... I am surprised that very worthy people
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1183 on: May 11, 2022, 07:51:21 PM »

Most of the incinerated were civilians. 

Dropping Fat Man on a military installation on an island was an option, for those who believed Japanese lives had equal value to other human lives.  If that was not persuasive, a repetition with Little Boy would have done the job.

There's no way our shit doesn't stink on this decision.  And it wasn't just Truman, it was a decision that was reinforced throughout Pacific command.  And by civilian bombings elsewhere during the war, mostly firebombing and carpet bombing. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 12, 2022, 01:05:06 AM »

Dresden was a blast.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 145