Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 559

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 117563 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #1770 on: October 23, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »

One time when I was a hot young aspiring actor in Hollywood, I was applying for my job that I got as a limousine driver in Malibu, and I needed to get my driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles in order to show that I had a clean driving record. I walked into the DMV in Hollywood and it was full of people, it was completely crowded, and as soon as I walked in a lady who worked there grabbed me and helped me, I did not have to wait, she kept telling me how handsome I was, and she helped me to get my printout and I was on my way. It pays to be handsome. I had fun being young and handsome in Hollywood, I just wish I could have gotten more acting jobs.

On the issue of acting, a lady on Facebook keeps saying that Roy Rogers and John Wayne and others in Hollywood were involved with the Masons and with the Shriners. Are the Masons and Shriners good groups? Roy was a 33rd degree Mason. I know the Shriners have hospitals for children. They are saying that a lot of people in Hollywood are involved with the Shriners and with the Masons.

For me, I was in Kiwanis International with a lady who was Mayor of Anaheim on 9/11 as Mayor Pro Tem, and the Police Chief of Anaheim was in Kiwanis, we had members of City Hall in Kiwanis, it was a good group, and we just worked to help our neighborhoods and to help the children and to raise money to send the Key Club kids to College, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 23, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »

The Saint Jude Children's Hospital is great. The stars support Saint Jude and it is a great place.

Elizabeth Taylor said that the best use of fame is to help other people, and she spent her whole life helping others, she helped people with AIDS, and she did a lot of good deeds.

And of course Paul Newman with Newman's Own, helping the children. He left behind a great legacy that was made possible by his good looks and fame. That is the best use of being handsome and being a star is to help other people.

I have done service to help other people all of my life, and if I would have succeeded as an actor then I would have been helping the homeless, etc, and I would be helping the orphans, etc.

Here is my student film from USC, I was handsome like Michael Landon and like James Garner...

https://youtu.be/GJ2wBMgs-lQ

I could have helped a lot of people if I succeeded. And that is what success in the Entertainment Industry is all about is helping other people.

The stars can help the poor, and the needy, and the homeless, and the orphans, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 23, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »

Buttermilk Junction

1 day

Today in History, On todays date 125 years ago, Friday, October 22, 1897, famous Italian-American chef Ettore Boiardi (1897 to 1985), better known by the Anglicized version of his name, Hector Boyardee, who was famous for his namesake brand of food products, Chef Boyardee, was born at the city of Piacenza, Italy.

Boiardi was working as an apprentice chef by the age of 11. He later learned more restaurant skills as an immigrant to Paris and London. On May 9, 1914, at the age of 16, he arrived at Ellis Island aboard La Lorraine, a ship of French registration.

Boiardi followed his brother Paolo to the kitchen of the Plaza Hotel in New York City, working his way up to head chef. He supervised the preparation of the homecoming meal served by Woodrow Wilson at the White House for 2,000 returning World War I soldiers. In 1926, he opened his first restaurant, Il Giardino dItalia, The Garden of Italy, in Cleveland, Ohio.

By the late 1920s, the Boiardi brothers had expanded into production of Italian foods that were distributed to grocery stores nation wide. For producing rations supplying Allied troops during World War II, Boiardi was awarded a Gold Star order of excellence from the United States War Department.

----------

Chef Boyardee is the best canned goods to send to the refugees and to the homeless, along with Campbell Soup, and canned sardines. And it is also good food to send to the grocery stores for the poor people in Kentucky.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 07:19:44 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 24, 2022, 01:22:34 PM »

The students have declined in achievement big time with remote learning...

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2022-10-24/pandemic-prompts-historic-decline-in-student-achievement-on-nations-report-card

The students need to be in school in person, with real teachers, and there is also the social aspects, the kids make friends at school. And beyond that, I also support after school activities and sports for the kids.

While remote learning may be cheap and easy, it is not the best way to go for the children, the children need to be in real schools with real teachers.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 24, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »

UCI Health

20 minutes

The Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute has a sparkling new home on the University of California, Irvine campus that will significantly expand its clinical, teaching and research efforts to advance evidence-informed, whole-person care.

The Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute provides team-based, whole-person clinical care, as well as space for innovative student instruction, multidisciplinary and collaborative research, and community education, including classes and lectures.

Learn more at https://bit.ly/3eXIsVK

#UCIHealth #integrativehealth #OrangeCounty

---------------

We have great schools here in California, and UCI is a great Medical School.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1775 on: October 24, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2022-10-24/pandemic-prompts-historic-decline-in-student-achievement-on-nations-report-card

The students need to be in school in person, with real teachers, and there is also the social aspects, the kids make friends at school. And beyond that, I also support after school activities and sports for the kids.

While remote learning may be cheap and easy, it is not the best way to go for the children, the children need to be in real schools with real teachers.

Salute,

Tony V.

Remote learning is not easy or cheap but it was necessary at the time.

Kids are like Petri dishes and while their youth and immune systems may offer more protection what about those who live in multigenerational housing?

People seem to forget over a million people died.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 24, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

This is not year over year. We won't have a real sense of the cost until 2 and 3 years from now.

The results on that test have been declining for years. And another report just out gives a far more mixed result.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: October 24, 2022, 04:47:34 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

Remote learning is not easy or cheap but it was necessary at the time.

Kids are like Petri dishes and while their youth and immune systems may offer more protection what about those who live in multigenerational housing?

People seem to forget over a million people died.

True. You are right. It was a crisis, and a lot of people died. We had to do remote learning at the time. But, as we advance and leave the crisis behind in history, we need to get our children back into real schools with real teachers. Our children are falling way behind, and they have mental health issues, and there is the issue of socializing and having friends, etc. And as we leave the crisis behind we need to expand after school activities for the children, etc, including sports, drama classes, and music lessons.

We had to do what we had to do during the crisis, but we need to move ahead as quickly as possible to get the kids back in school and we need to expand after school programs, etc. We have a lot of kids who are still not going back to school and they are missing out, we need to encourage the children to go to real schools.

Some people are also doing remote learning because of the school shootings, and they do not feel like the schools are safe, we need to expand armed security at the schools and make the schools safe so that the parents feel comfortable sending their children to real schools.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 24, 2022, 06:52:25 PM »

Gonna buy an electric car?
Watcha gonna do when you're parked on the 4th floor of the hospital carpark and you are bamboozled by the tight twists and turns in it and you hit the corner and punch two holes in the tyre sidewall?
There's no spare tyre in most of them.
Roadside assistance?
Can't get a tow truck up 4 floors.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:21:38 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 24, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »

Many newer car have TPMS, and don't supply spares.  The system gives you time to get a repair before it's undrivable and if it doesn't then makers like Tesla provide a 24 hour roadside service with the warranty.  And those vehicles can ascend a parking garage just fine.  Stop getting your news from Rupert Murdoch's used toilet paper.

And in the US, all the major EV makers offer a spare tire option, which is used by many people living in remote geography.
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: October 24, 2022, 10:02:30 PM »

Never, ever argue with anyone who spells it "tyre".
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: October 24, 2022, 10:48:07 PM »

Many newer car have TPMS,
A total waste of money and unreliable, to boot

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 24, 2022, 11:37:47 PM »

That describes all of your favorite things, Red. Fits them all to a T.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 25, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »

Yeah, who needs new technology that's being refined and improved over time?  We should have stuck with telegrams, buggies and rug beaters.  Hope your PMS is better this morning. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: October 25, 2022, 10:27:41 AM »

Yeah, who needs new technology that's being refined and improved over time? 
I prefer the expertise of the makers of the cars I buy.TPMS technology is highly inconsistent.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 559