Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 580

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 122758 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #5220 on: August 25, 2023, 06:07:45 PM »

Lake Mead is not full. And the water it accumulate does not make Vegas anything like sustainable at its current growth.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: August 25, 2023, 07:02:54 PM »

The fact that farms in that watershed keep drilling deeper into a depleting aquifer (the aquifer is the real measure of any longterm water usage balance) is further evidence of what ecologists have been pointing out for a century.  Deserts are not sustainable for large human populations.  It's fairly sure that buying desalinated seawater from Cali next door will eventually be necessary.  Hopefully from solar-powered plants.

Steinbeck, writing in the forties, (one of my favorite US authors) noted how wet years in the West would induce temporary amnesia about the drought part of the cycle.  He talks about it a fair bit in his masterpiece East of Eden.
Vegas will need a clever Samuel Hamilton (a character based on Steinbeck's own grandfather, of the same name)

Las Vegas... sustainable.

Spit take of the week so far.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: August 25, 2023, 07:36:22 PM »

The fact that farms in that watershed keep drilling deeper into a depleting aquifer (the aquifer is the real measure of any longterm water usage balance) is further evidence of what ecologists have been pointing out for a century.  Deserts are not sustainable for large human populations.  It's fairly sure that buying desalinated seawater from Cali next door will eventually be necessary.  Hopefully from solar-powered plants.

Steinbeck, writing in the forties, (one of my favorite US authors) noted how wet years in the West would induce temporary amnesia about the drought part of the cycle.  He talks about it a fair bit in his masterpiece East of Eden.
Vegas will need a clever Samuel Hamilton (a character based on Steinbeck's own grandfather, of the same name)

This ends the daily information bulletin from Oilcan and his latest  GOOGLE search of
Researched  information only he was never aware of.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: August 25, 2023, 09:44:44 PM »

This ends the daily information bulletin from Oilcan and his latest  GOOGLE search of

Aquifer monitoring was part of an early job, post-college.  It's a big concern in Nebraska, where I was living at the time. I've kept up with the field a little but through a professional network and science forum, not usually google searches. 

I am seriously starting to wonder if you are experiencing early symptoms of dementia, given that you now avoid almost any real discussion of facts, something you were up for a few years ago.  Your increasing paranoia that everyone who disagrees with you is just haphazardly cut/pasting seems to be fed by a general tendency to project your own struggles onto others.  I hope you are getting the help you need.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: August 25, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »

Aquifer monitoring was part of an early job, post-college.  It's a big concern in Nebraska, where I was living at the time. I've kept up with the field a little but through a professional network and science forum, not usually google searches. 

Sure you are, Uh huh.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:59:11 PM by Espnthree »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: August 25, 2023, 10:26:21 PM »

Theodore Roosevelt Lake is a large reservoir formed by Theodore Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River in Arizona as part of the Salt River Project. Located roughly 80 miles northeast of Phoenix in the Salt River Valley, Theodore Roosevelt is the largest lake or reservoir located entirely within the state of Arizona. Wikipedia

-------

Our Forefathers here in the USA were smart men, and they built dams in strategic locations during the Great Depression and then the dams had 100 years to fill up the lakes. Now we have huge lakes to supply us with water for Farming, etc. Arizona is supplying New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Saint Louis, etc, with fresh Winter Vegetables.

The dams that we built 100 years ago went on to serve us well, and we are lucky to have lakes to supply us with water for Winter Vegetables, etc.

Certainly we need to be wise, and we need to look closely at our water supply, but our fore-fathers helped us by building dams, they were smart men.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: August 26, 2023, 03:12:31 AM »

I am seriously starting to wonder if you are experiencing early symptoms of dementia, given that you now avoid almost any real discussion of facts, something you were up for a few years ago.  Your increasing paranoia that everyone who disagrees with you is just haphazardly cut/pasting seems to be fed by a general tendency to project your own struggles onto others.  I hope you are getting the help you need.
Well, you know RedDick. He has no knowledge, information or opinion except what he cuts and pastes from right wing web sites, so he assumes the same of everyone else.

But you do have to admit, it is pretty funny to see someone who claimed to be a 47 year old man who covered an event, as a reporter, that would have occurred 4 years before he was born doubting someone else's back story.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 03:25:53 AM by Hairy Lime »
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: August 26, 2023, 05:20:00 PM »

Southern California's summer of discontent - marked by a series of work stoppages from hotels to Hollywood - has inspired labor-supporting Democrats in the state legislature to try to change the law so striking workers can get unemployment checks while they picket for better pay and working conditions. 2 days ago

-----------

Giving the striking workers unemployment checks is wise, and it will help the workers in their struggle for fair pay and good treatment.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: August 27, 2023, 03:13:09 AM »

Yuma, Arizona, is growing 90% of the Winter Vegetables for the East Coast, and they are getting water from the Colorado River. They are also growing the premium wheat to be exported to Italy for the premium pastas.

https://www.visityuma.com/about-yuma/agritourism/

There is a huge demand for water from the Colorado River.

We can get more water from Lake Theodore Roosevelt for Winter Vegetables.

I hope they have nice fun farming villages, instead of just brutal farm work, I hope they have good times and a sense of community while they work to supply people with food. And they have the United Farm Workers, so they will be treated well. And refugees from our Southern Border can go to Yuma to work as Farm Workers.

Here is a link for a Pickle Company in Arizona, they can help to supply New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc, with pickles.

https://www.kleinspickle.com/

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 04:28:58 AM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: August 27, 2023, 03:54:00 AM »

Sunkist is exporting fruit from California and from Arizona to Vietnam...

https://leisure-travel.vn/leisure-news/sunkist-arrives-in-vietnam-to-deliver-fresh-and-delicious-navel-oranges-from-sunny-california/

I am sure we are also exporting Sunkist products to China.

In 2022, California exported goods with a total value of about 17.7 billion U.S. dollars to China. This figure represents an increase from 2021, which saw a total export value of approximately 16.5 billion U.S. dollars. Jun 8, 2023

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 04:15:00 AM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: August 27, 2023, 04:56:15 AM »

Pepperdine Graduate School of Education and Psychology

Looking to make a difference and drive positive change in the world?

Our MA in Social Entrepreneurship and Change program will equip you with the skills and resources you need to lead and inspire change in new ventures, existing organizations, local communities, and across the globe.

With a degree from one of the most respected and values-based graduate schools in the nation, you'll have the knowledge and expertise to tackle the world's most complex social, economic, and environmental issues with sustainable, market-based solutions.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

"There is a values-based leadership and learning advocated here that cannot be ignored. The moment you enter and throughout your experience here you feel elevated and welcomed." - Ashlee N.

Opportunities upon graduation include, but are not limited to positions in:

✔️ Non-Profits
✔️ Social Enterprises
✔️ For-Profit Corporate Social Responsibility
✔️ Individual Social Enterprises

Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to make a lasting impact. Learn more now!

------------

Pepperdine is teaching the young people how to do charity work, and how to help people, it is a Christian college and they are training people to do service to help the needy and to help to make the world a better place. And business can be used for good, such as the Monks who make Champagne and Cheese with the money going to help the poor. Christians can learn how to start altruistic businesses.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: August 27, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »

Sure you are, Uh huh.

Growing up in Suffolk County our aquifer water was great! We got our water by pumping it up from under our house.

For an 8th grade science project we had my tap water tested by NYS and the report on the chemical composition basically told us to drink from the garden hose.
When I came home from college the Town landfill had leached toxins into the water rendering it un potabpple.l
The Town and County were like it is no big deal just buy bottled water.
So I joined a community organization working to push the county to supply municipal water service.I became a community organizer with the Citizens Alliance as a media coordinator.
Once the spotlight started falling on the county electeds they finally got their shit together and got the Feds to pay for a water system.

Then I got my first paying job as an organizer with New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG).

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: August 27, 2023, 11:06:34 AM »

In a statement released by Edward Waters University, the school said that an unidentified male was on campus on Saturday, and that the person had refused to identify himself to an on-campus security officer and was asked to leave.

The individual returned to their car and left campus without incident, the statement reads, adding that the encounter was reported to the Jacksonville Sheriff

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/27/us/jacksonville-shooting-dollar-general.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: August 27, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »

Here is a link for a Pickle Company in Arizona, they can help to supply New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc, with pickles.

https://www.kleinspickle.com/

Please stop spamming this website.   Ditto your ads for Sunkist, Visit Yuma, and Pepperdine U.  Respect the topics set for forums and the rules against spam, or I will contact the site owner to see about some kind of ban. 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: August 27, 2023, 11:38:59 AM »

In a statement released by Edward Waters University, the school said that an unidentified male was on campus on Saturday, and that the person had refused to identify himself to an on-campus security officer and was asked to leave.

The individual returned to their car and left campus without incident, the statement reads, adding that the encounter was reported to the Jacksonville Sheriff

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/27/us/jacksonville-shooting-dollar-general.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Just catching up with the story.  Did they match that guy to the DG shooter?  A lot more people could have died if he had remained on the campus.  And yet another shooting where the perp is emboldened by wearing body armor - makes me wonder if that would be something bannable.  The Second Amendment doesn't say anything about body armor.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 580