Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 681

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 250520 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #10125 on: September 30, 2024, 11:56:25 AM »

When was the last time a President did that?  And if he stopped the strike, by either nationalizing the industry (dubious legality) or firing the stevedores (unlike the PATCO workers, they're not federal employees) or some other method that certainly wouldn't be giving the strikers what they wanted.  He has no authority to "give the strikers what they want."

You got very poor information from whatever spawned the likes of you.

"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: September 30, 2024, 11:56:57 AM »

First, Israel bombs military targets.

LOL!
I guess you are not as well informed as you let on.

Keep guessing.  Someday you will get one right.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: September 30, 2024, 12:37:43 PM »

Amazing that dockworkers are going on strike during a time when most Americans are reeling from inflation. Pure terrorist blckmail doing it during the election.
To quote the motto of the International Garment Pressers Union, "Strike While the Iron is Hot!"

Which made me turn to Wikipedia to determine that Calvin Trillin is thankfully still alive.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: September 30, 2024, 12:41:57 PM »

And still writing poetry for The Nation! Most recently:

Could anyone invent a racist rumor
As fouls as those put forth by Laura Loomer?
For most, such filth's as welcome as a tumor.
So why does Trump remain its loyal consumer?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 01:06:31 PM by Hairy Lime »
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10129 on: September 30, 2024, 12:42:58 PM »

Amazing that dockworkers are going on strike during a time when most Americans are reeling from inflation. Pure terrorist blckmail doing it during the election.
To quote the motto of the International Garment Pressers Union, "Strike While the Iron is Hot!"

Which made me turn to Wikipedia to determine that Calvin Trillin is thankfully still alive.

Priceless!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: September 30, 2024, 12:49:43 PM »

And now I wonder of D D Guttenanplan is as wily and parsimonious as Victor Navasky was, and if they still pay in the high two figures. Calvin Trillin is a National and national treasure.

I should probably be working. But not before noting that my favorite of his proposed mottos from The Motto Maker's Art was for Akron: "Preferable to Youngstown".
A parrot bit me.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: September 30, 2024, 02:18:43 PM »

DT

"Huge crowd at Sydney mosque to honour slain terror leader".

#####

Immigration...don't ya just love it.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: September 30, 2024, 02:21:41 PM »

And used a different frquency band in a way which could not be monitored.  But don't let facts harsh your ignorant bigotry buzz.

Genius move got his followers blown up. What are you talking about? Were you a follower?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: September 30, 2024, 02:33:49 PM »

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1995/02/08/presidential-intervention/

Ignorant trolls just get on? Yes presidents have intervened,duh.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: September 30, 2024, 02:37:50 PM »

Hey dumbass.  The President has no authority to "give the strikers what they want".  He can beg.  He can plead.  He can cajole.   If you'd like I can provide the meaning of those last three verbs as you're kind of stupid.

If you want to change the meaning of what you what you said, feel free.  But you're still a dumbass.

Duh.

I think it best you ignore me, and I'll do the same for you.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 02:51:09 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: September 30, 2024, 03:16:22 PM »

You can do what you want to do, but it is an important part of the duty of a president to intervene in labor disputes when it affects the national interest. Basic stuff  can't believe you did not know this and are still posting on a political message board.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: September 30, 2024, 03:21:20 PM »

I can't believe that you can't write in complete sentences and still post on a political message board.

Again, you didn't say "intervene", you said the President will "give the strikers what they want".  Again, the President has no authority to do that and with all the "basic stuff" you posted, the President didn't "give" the strikers what they wanted in any of those. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: September 30, 2024, 03:52:03 PM »

Bambu, the Bible tells us to help the poor, and the orphans, and the widows, and the homeless, and the hungry, etc, in Matthew 25; 31-46 and as we do so we will win supporters who love us. And we will win supporters over for Christ.

And you do not need to bring all of the people to Australia, you do not need to allow everyone in like the USA does with our Statue of Liberty, but simply support the Peace Corps globally, and Kiwanis International, etc, and feed the hungry, and build schools, etc, and libraries, etc, and the Peace Corps can teach people about "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, and they can study "On Becoming a Person" by Carl Rogers, etc.

Of note, one safe spot for the Refugees is the Kiwanis Village in Victoria, British Columbia, and the forest of Canada is a nice safe spot for the refugee children and their families.

In the USA we have the area around Route 66 that is a good spot for the homeless from Hong Kong, and from Taiwan, and from China, etc, and there is the Tyson Foods company in Arkansas where people can find jobs, etc. Kentucky needs teachers, and so does Tennessee. And we have the United Farm Workers, and the Teamsters, where the immigrants can find honest jobs, etc.

We need to have a special Good Neighbor Policy for Mexico, and for Canada, and for everyone from the Top of Alaska to the Bottom of Chile.

And Bambu, invite the refugees from Ukraine to live in Australia, they are good Christians.

On the issue of Russia, we have lots of Russians in New York City, and we have the Russian Tea Room in Central Park, the Russian community is very powerful in New York, and can help in Ukraine and in Russia. And we need to send Putin to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and we need to put peaceful allies in charge of Russia.

Salute,

Tony V.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: September 30, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »

I can't believe that you can't write in complete sentences and still post on a political message board.

Again, you didn't say "intervene", you said the President will "give the strikers what they want".  Again, the President has no authority to do that and with all the "basic stuff" you posted, the President didn't "give" the strikers what they wanted in any of those.

Gee, didn

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: September 30, 2024, 05:20:20 PM »

Gee, didn
And here comes Red. Luee must have tagged him. When he gets the tech issue squared away, Red will no doubt send me down for the count.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 05:22:07 PM by Yankguy1 »
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 681