Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42367 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

I did self plagiarize one of my favorite movie comments here:

https://oxfraud.com/BC-will
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Holly Martins

« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »

Damn!   Funny stuff.   I liked not only the movie lifts (the Anne Hathaway reference with its built-in Shakespearean resonance) but the footnote regarding all authors named George.   I accept the mystery, especially what may lie under Monsieur Simenon's skirts.
Or JK Rowling's retirement.   

In any case,  you've worked out some technical details of the Rowling theory in a careful way that impedes rational questioning, which is better than a lot of cracked pottery can manage.   It is hoped the brewery truck will arrive before I develop a coherent critique.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2021, 12:10:39 PM »

I like to think that theory exists in a realm far beyond any concept of "rational questioning,"
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2021, 07:11:33 PM »

Like string theory.   

I've now seen all three recent movies titled "Mother, " and found Bong Joon Ho's the best of the trio.   

I'm currently fascinated by the eight part Iceland series,  "Katla. "   Be sure and toggle it to "Original Icelandic,  with subtitles" because the Netflix dubbing is annoying and lacks the expressiveness of the actual actors voices.  The cleverness of the "changeling" trope lies in how it gradually reveals all the characters personal dramas and troubled pasts.   The narrative is bizarre and eerily beautiful. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »

"Latinx" is a gender neutral term to replace Latino or Latina. Because unlike white or Caucasian or black or African American there isn't a gender neutral term already.

Here's a term that's more accurate. LatinIDI or AfroIDI.

Identity Issues.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2021, 03:27:24 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »

"Latinx" is a gender neutral term to replace Latino or Latina. Because unlike white or Caucasian or black or African American there isn't a gender neutral term already.

Identity Issues.
Oh look! A white man decides what minorities should be called! Bigot is as bigot does.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »

All men are created equal. After that you're on your own. STFU and handle it.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »

Try treated instead of created and you get the issue Racist.

Holly Martins

« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »

Pithy reply.   Thumb up.

Binged "Katla" and would agree with OC's comment on how the plot device grapples with character pasts (cue Faulkner quote).   The village cop's dilemma (a healthy sexier version of his invalid wife appears) threads the needle between black comedy and horror.   

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2021, 02:05:22 PM »

Fuck you, Mao.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »

Fuck you, Mao.
Right back at ya, Forrest.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2021, 05:07:59 PM »

Identity Issues.
Oh look! A white man decides what minorities should be called! Bigot is as bigot does.

bozX

Got a question.

According to a by now widely cited study undertaken by the Pew Research Center and published in August, only one in four Latinos are even aware of the term Latinx, and just 3% say they use it to describe themselves.

The results run across demographics: Even though use of the term Latinx is greater among younger Latinos, only 7% of those ages 18 to 29 say they use it; among those 30 and older, that percentage drops to an abysmal 2%.

“The population it’s meant to describe isn’t even aware of it,” says Mark Hugo Lopez, Director of Global Migration and Demography research at the Pew Research Center, and one of the authors of the August 11 study. “It’s a striking finding.”

And it mirrors what we see in the Latin music universe. Although the term “Latinx” can be often found in English-language press releases, especially when pertaining to U.S. born or raised artists, it’s a rarity in Spanish language releases. Most telling, very few (if any in recent memory) Latin artists self-describe as Latinx, even when directly asked what term they prefer to use.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/9514370/latinx-term-latin-community/

If only 3% of the people who the term is meant to describe use the term to describe themselves, what are the dollars to tacos, a white woke social justice warrior at Oberlin, Brandeis or Berkeley, came up with the term?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2021, 05:16:12 PM »

Identity Issues.

bozX

Got a question.

According to a by now widely cited study undertaken by the Pew Research Center and published in August, only one in four Latinos are even aware of the term Latinx, and just 3% say they use it to describe themselves.

The results run across demographics: Even though use of the term Latinx is greater among younger Latinos, only 7% of those ages 18 to 29 say they use it; among those 30 and older, that percentage drops to an abysmal 2%.

“The population it’s meant to describe isn’t even aware of it,” says Mark Hugo Lopez, Director of Global Migration and Demography research at the Pew Research Center, and one of the authors of the August 11 study. “It’s a striking finding.”

And it mirrors what we see in the Latin music universe. Although the term “Latinx” can be often found in English-language press releases, especially when pertaining to U.S. born or raised artists, it’s a rarity in Spanish language releases. Most telling, very few (if any in recent memory) Latin artists self-describe as Latinx, even when directly asked what term they prefer to use.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/9514370/latinx-term-latin-community/

If only 3% of the people who the term is meant to describe use the term to describe themselves, what are the dollars to tacos, a white woke social justice warrior at Oberlin, Brandeis or Berkeley, came up with the term?

Heh

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »

Identity Issues.

bozX

Got a question.

Shit takes time for people to get used to it. And in answer to your final question, zero chance. It came out of the gay community, who did not want the gender identity of Spanish nouns.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48