Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Theater  (Read 17873 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Theater
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »

American Academy of Dramatic Arts

13h  ·

As Founder’s Day approaches this Saturday, our historical look into The Academy’s archives continues.

The technological innovations of the 20th century gave rise to new avenues of powerful storytelling. As the conventions of theatre were adapted to radio, film, and then television, The Academy readied actors to play roles that would resonate across the airwaves and around the world.

With rigorous preparation in stagecraft that remained rooted in truth, actors at The Academy found themselves equipped to excel in every format. Whether they were working on the backlots of Hollywood or the stages of Broadway, Academy graduates were highly regarded for their professional training and distinguished artistry. As influential alumni such as Cecil B. DeMille, Spencer Tracy, Lauren Bacall, Kirk Douglas, Grace Kelly, and Robert Redford ascended to new heights, The Academy became widely known as the “Cradle to the Stars.”

------------------

Danny DeVito attended the AADA, along with many other greats.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »

We have the USC School of Cinematic Arts and the Dodge College of Film & Media Arts which are both training filmmakers here locally, and we have The American Academy of Dramatic Arts which is training actors and actresses here in Hollywood, we could put them all to work right here in Anaheim if the local business people put their minds to it, Anaheim could have a top of the line modern studio, and television shows and movies could be made here in Anaheim.

As the economy bounces back, then people need to be given business loans, etc, and some people can get together and open a new studio in Anaheim.

We have plenty of talented people right here in Southern California who would love the jobs, and it would be good for the local economy.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 05:46:32 PM »

Is it okay to yell "Theatre!" in a crowded fire hall?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »

New affordable housing is being being built for actors in Hollywood, and they will have space to train and perform, it looks pretty cool. And Annette Bening helped to make it happen.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-02-11/actors-fund-breaks-ground-on-hollywood-affordable-housing-for-performers

I always thought that my apartment complex in Anaheim would be great for people in the entertainment industry if we could have a studio here in this neighborhood, we have industrial space here, we can have industry in this neighborhood. We could have sound stages, and movie equipment rentals, etc, etc, etc. I tried to get the San Manuel Native American Indian Tribe of San Bernardino to invest in a movie studio here in my neighborhood, but they were not interested. A little studio like Occidental in East Hollywood would be perfect here, and Disney and others use Occidental all of the time.

Anyhow, it is great that new housing is being built for struggling actors, and more needs to be done.

We also need to do more to foster local film and television production here in Southern California, and it would be nice to have a movie studio here in Anaheim.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 09:04:02 PM »

"Nothing is funnier than unhappiness. "

-- "Nell, " in Beckett's Endgame

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »

I am using some of my stimulus money to update my equipment, and I was not sure what kind of computer to buy and which programs I would need in order to write books, and movie scripts, and to be able to make movies, etc, so I sent an email to the film schools to find out, and the Dodge film school at Chapman responded. Here is what they said...

Hi Tony,

We suggest Dell laptops with an Nvidia GPU or Apple laptops. 

As far as software applications… for Screenwriting, we use Final Draft; for budgeting and scheduling, Entertainment Partners Movie Magic Budgeting and Scheduling; for editing, Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer and Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve; for Sound Design, Avid Pro Tools.

So, that is what the students are using at Dodge film school.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »

There are a lot of homeless actors, writers, poets, filmmakers, cinematographers, etc, out there on the streets of Southern California mixed in with the homeless people, and so there needs to be apartment complexes for the artists who are homeless.

Such as the Palm View apartments which were set up by the Chase and Royal Bank of Canada and the Actors Fund...

https://actorsfund.org/services-and-programs/palm-view

And the artists can all help each other, they can teach each other, and they can support each other, and they can make movies together, etc. Where one man has a weakness, his neighbor might have a strength. Working together people can achieve much more than any man could alone, and we are social creatures anyway, we love Tribes, etc.

Having apartment complexes for artists makes sense to me, and for instance in this neighborhood, it is an Industrial Neighborhood, people can film movies here, and people can make television shows, and people can make music videos and television commercials, etc.

We can have a studio like Occidental in East Hollywood here in my neighborhood in Anaheim. (Also, the neighborhood by Occcidental in East Hollywood is a good, affordable neighborhood for poor artists.)

https://occidentalentertainment.com/

Here is a link for my complex in Anaheim, it would be perfect for homeless artists, and people could make movies across the street, etc. This is an Industrial Neighborhood.

https://villa-platinum-apartments.business.site/

We have people who have a lot of training, and education, and experience, some have won awards, and they are mixed in with the homeless people, there needs to be special apartment complexes for the homeless artists.

I had a roommate who was a studio executive who ended up homeless. He worked at Paramount, and at Universal. He worked himself to exhaustion, and then ended up homeless. He worked on the show "Family Ties" and he worked on other shows. He was a great person and he had a great life, and at the end he ended up homeless but my friend Lisa helped him, and he ended up as my roommate in a mansion in Anaheim, it was a nice house in a nice neighborhood. 

The neighborhood by Occidental in East Hollywood is a good neighborhood for poor artists. When I was there the neighborhood was full of new immigrants, there were people from El Salvador, and from Colombia, and there was a Catholic Church in the neighborhood that had services in Spanish and in English.

That neighborhood would be perfect for poor artists who wanted to work at the Occidental studio.

And it is close to USC.

The Catholic Church by the Occidental movie studio is the Precious Blood Catholic Church, it is a beautiful church, they have both English, and Spanish, and they feed the needy, etc, it is a good Church.

If you are a starving artist in that neighborhood the Precious Blood Catholic Church will give you food. They feed the needy.

Link...

https://tinyurl.com/yw3svzzm

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:19:27 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »

David Geffen donated one hundred and fifty million dollars to the Yale school of Drama, now it will be named after him, and the students will get free tuition.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2021/06/30/david-geffen-gifts-150-million-to-yale-drama-making-the-school-tuition-free/

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »

Princess Grace Awards is in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.

4 hours  ·

Today, we are proud to unveil a new chapter in Princess Grace's philanthropic legacy. Introducing Grace de Monaco, the world's first purpose-driven luxury brand, inspired by Princess Grace's timeless elegance - where 100% of proceeds go directly toward ensuring young artists can pursue their creative dreams. Grace de Monaco is setting a new standard in luxury for good.

At a very special gathering last night at the Hotel de Paris in Monte-Carlo, H.S.H. Prince Albert II offered an exclusive preview of Grace de Monaco and revealed our first signature fragrance, Promenade Sur Le Roche. Grace de Monaco is your invitation into a world of creative celebration and passionate pursuit. A wondrous dreamscape, bright and beguiling. A luxurious reverie designed for you.

We invite you to explore the world of Grace de Monaco and support this exciting new chapter in Princess Grace's philanthropic legacy at@gracedemonaco_official where you can purchase our signature fragrance.

-----------------

Princess Grace went to the same acting school that I attended, The American Academy of Dramatic Arts, and I had a teacher who was friends with Grace Kelly, Betty Karlen, she still teaches at the Academy. The Academy has some amazing teachers, and they have some wonderful stories.

Grace's son, Prince Albert, and the Princess Grace Awards, are starting a new philanthropic venture, they are going to sell perfume and other products from a new company named Grace de Monaco, and 100% of the proceeds go to the arts, training ballet dancers, etc, etc, etc.

Albert is a cool guy, I plan to meet him someday when I go to Monaco.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:29:20 PM by FlyingVProd »

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 02:50:59 PM »

Real quickly... (as if)

We were going to the city (NYC) on Friday and it was Wednesday night. Igraine perused the avails for scalped Tix for American Utopia. We're both of an age and a wave such that it is attractive. Scalped tix are too high! but the show's site says use "XYX" (sorry) box office for tix. There they were, two of them, for Friday night! At face. What's so unusual about that?

They were Front Row Center! (ok two, maybe 4 off dead center) David Byrne himself leaned over the edge of the stage (A assert that he did a quick pause gasp when he caught sight of us.)

We would not trust that we were going to see the actual show until the curtain went up. How could such seats be available? This is half the reason for this post, is to tell you, that vaccinations work. Nobody un vaccinated was sitting in that theater. I didn't miss them, so if they'd all like to stay out of my way, that'll be ok with me.

The show is great. It starts with DB giving a monolog about where the various processes of our day to day occur within our brains. Meanwhile great curtains of chain links were pulled up to create a space that was void of distractions. DB has his own philosophy about the sparseness of the set. But what this is is really a DB concert, utilizing the technology in a DB way.

Singer, Guitar, Bassist, Backup singing dancers (two) and several many drummers playing specialized carriable drumsets. All electronics are wireless, so the sound can move around the stage and make noise have motion. (I particularly enjoy this break from the norm.)

The song are good. The message is (essentially) Peace. Just let the vibe be a good vibe.

It was a while ago, and I don't recall the set list. I understand it has been on TV in its entirety.

The point was, it was a great time. Not least of why being that I have never been FRC (ish) nor do I expect that I will be later. But I got to because the opportunity is there.

It is worth your time to check for yourself. NYC is opening back, and soon you're not going to get to touch good seats without the scalper in the middle.

I say this not only about Broadway, but the rest of NYC too.

OK now I'm leaving, to talk about Art and Exhibitions.

PLAU
I'M

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »

Is it okay to yell "Theatre!" in a crowded fire hall?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 06:42:54 PM »

American Academy of Dramatic Arts

3 hours

Before we take a break for the Holidays, the Los Angeles Company is finishing their third series with A Piece of My Heart by Shirley Lauro and directed by Betty Karlen.

This is a powerful, true drama of six women who went to Vietnam: five nurses and a country western singer booked by an unscrupulous agent to entertain the troops. The play portrays each young woman before, during, and after her tour in the war-torn nation, their struggle to make sense of a war that irrevocably changed them, a nation that shunned them, and ends as each leaves a personal token at the memorial wall in Washington. A Piece of My Heart is a work with the music and soul of a tumultuous era in our history.

The production runs Thursday, December 16 through Saturday, December 18. All showtimes are at 7:00pm PT.

RSVP at https://www.aada.edu/los-angeles-company

------------

The director of this play, Betty Karlen, is an old New Yorker, she has that New York attitude.

The AADA in Hollywood at the old Charlie Chaplin studio is a great place to see plays, you get to see the stars of the future, and it is a cheap date.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 06:48:57 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 03:38:44 PM »

The Broadway Musical about Roy and Dale has had problems because of the corona crisis, they were going to open the play in Georgia, and then take it to Broadway in New York from what I understand, and then they might make a film of it. But, the crisis has stopped it. What I was thinking, is that when everything opens up again that they might want to open the play at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.

Here is a link for information about the play...

https://royrogers.com/happy-trails-the-musical/

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2022, 12:56:53 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4