Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 09:07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be the next US President?
Bob Barr
John McCain
Ralph Nader
Barack Obama

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 690
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign Trail  (Read 53892 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:00:01 PM »

Which candidates are best positioned to win their respective primary?
ngc321

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »

Peter Franklin Paul, in a civil fraud suit filed against Bill and Hillary Clinton, claims the former president destroyed his entertainment company to get out of a $17 million deal in which Clinton promised to promote the firm in exchange for stock, cash options and massive contributions to his wife's 2000 campaign. Paul contends he was directed by the Clintons and Democratic Party leaders to foot the bill for a lavish Hollywood gala and fund-raiser prior to the 2000 election that eventually cost him nearly $2 million.

Sen. Clinton has claimed through her spokesman Howard Wolfson that Paul gave no money to her campaign, and her supporters have denied she had any anything to do with coordinating the August 2000 event or soliciting contributions directly from donors.

But videotape, with clear audio of Sen. Clinton, documents her direct knowledge and involvement with Paul in producing the Hollywood fund-raiser and indicates she participated in the solicitation of the entertainers, whose in-kind contributions of their services would also constitute illegal contributions exceeding $25,000.

Sen. Clinton's actions violated not only the $2,000 limit but Title 2 section 437 of the U.S. federal code, which states: "Any person who knowingly and willfully commits a violation of any provision of this act which involves the making, receiving, or reporting of any contribution, donation, or expenditure aggregating $25,000 or more during a calendar year shall be fined under Title 18, or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both."
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »

While I am no fan of Hillary, I suggest that the value of the entertainers was probably overstated.
samiinh

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »

WorldNutDaily is not considered a reliable source.  It is a republican propaganda rag.
ngc321

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »

Typical liberal responses---someone comes up with a video-tape WITH audio of someone breaking the law (hillary) and since that person breaking the law IS a liberal, liberals will poo-poo the source and the accusation---w/o even assessing the merit of the evidence. Quite pathetic. If the accused was a republican, the response would be obviously different. Liberals pull the wool over the eyes of no-one with a grain of brain. If, for example, the video was of a republican castrating his principles with abramoff, I would be calling for his incarceration---providing the evidence was valid. In the case of a video with audio, it IS quite compelling---regardless of political affiliation. Unless, of course, one IS a liberal attempting to protect and defend another liberal.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »

If you say, it is compelling because it has audio. So be it. If the law says the value of a donation must be in excess of $25,000 and the "crime" was that the value of the entertainers is assumed to be $25,000, then it is VERY appropriate to question whether there was an actual crime committed.

The point that YOU overlooked is that I could not care less if Hillary did or did not ask some guy to stage a "gala" fund collector for her 2000 campaign. She represents the people of New York. It is an issue for New Yorkers. I do not live or vote in New York, so it makes no difference to me.

What does concern me, is that Bush stole the vote away from Floridians and through his and his brothers political maneuvering, stole the election from the candidate favored by most of the people. That sticks in my craw, and makes me not trust republicans. During my early years in Virginia, it was the democrats, under the leadership of Harry Byrd whose "machine" illegally tampered with voting. During those years, I voted for republicans.
samiinh

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:59:28 AM »

If you say, it is compelling because it has audio. So be it. If the law says the value of a donation must be in excess of $25,000 and the "crime" was that the value of the entertainers is assumed to be $25,000, then it is VERY appropriate to question whether there was an actual crime committed.

The point that YOU overlooked is that I could not care less if Hillary did or did not ask some guy to stage a "gala" fund collector for her 2000 campaign. She represents the people of New York. It is an issue for New Yorkers. I do not live or vote in New York, so it makes no difference to me.

What does concern me, is that Bush stole the vote away from Floridians and through his and his brothers political maneuvering, stole the election from the candidate favored by most of the people. That sticks in my craw, and makes me not trust republicans. During my early years in Virginia, it was the democrats, under the leadership of Harry Byrd whose "machine" illegally tampered with voting. During those years, I voted for republicans.

I have voted for republicans once upon a time.  Republicans once were quite normal.  They weren't control by extremists, fascists, or christianists.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »

In the present era, Republicans seem to stand for excessive spending, running up the national deficit, and trying to break the power of the unions. They also seem to be war-mongers, perhaps to kill off the young who are in need of jobs. When I was a teenager, I was of the opinion that wars were a "necessary evil" to help in population control. As a senior, I am no longer convinced that war is necessary, just an evil.
samiinh

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »

In the present era, Republicans seem to stand for excessive spending, running up the national deficit, and trying to break the power of the unions. They also seem to be war-mongers, perhaps to kill off the young who are in need of jobs. When I was a teenager, I was of the opinion that wars were a "necessary evil" to help in population control. As a senior, I am no longer convinced that war is necessary, just an evil.

I believe that this is all part of the neocon agenda.  Bankrupt the country, destroy the public schools, and live with perpetual war.
ngc321

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »

Front-running Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's favorable rating is slipping at home and New York voters aren't quite as sure they prefer her over Republican Rudy Giuliani, a statewide poll reported Monday.

The latest poll from Siena College's Research Institute had Clinton leading Giuliani, the former New York City mayor, 48 percent to 43 percent, down from the 51 percent to 39 percent lead she enjoyed in a March poll from the Albany-area college.

Clinton's favorable rating among New York voters was at 50 percent in the latest poll, down from 56 percent last month.

Fabulous---anyone or anything but hillary.
samiinh

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »

Front-running Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's favorable rating is slipping at home and New York voters aren't quite as sure they prefer her over Republican Rudy Giuliani, a statewide poll reported Monday.

The latest poll from Siena College's Research Institute had Clinton leading Giuliani, the former New York City mayor, 48 percent to 43 percent, down from the 51 percent to 39 percent lead she enjoyed in a March poll from the Albany-area college.

Clinton's favorable rating among New York voters was at 50 percent in the latest poll, down from 56 percent last month.

Fabulous---anyone or anything but hillary.

It's a horse race and polls will change from week to week and day to day.  They are meaningless at this point in the campaign.
ngc321

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »

What does concern me, is that Bush stole the vote away from Floridians and through his and his brothers political maneuvering, stole the election from the candidate favored by most of the people. That sticks in my craw, and makes me not trust republicans.

Truly, truly pathetic. I cannot say it strongly enough. Pathetic.

You mean the votes that Nader got in Florida (Several THOUSAND, if memory serves) had nothing to do with Gore losing? (Perot did it for clinton, remember?)

You mean the USSC court did not steal the elction for bush? (They followed federal election law) And Florida law was upheld---much to your chagrin.

You mean it wasn't voter intimidations? (Liberals still claim this to this day)

You mean it wasn't the hanging chads? (Liberals still speak of this to this day)

It wasn't the ballots that Flori-duh seniors couldn't figure out? (Liberals still use this as well)

All of these things and it was bush's theft? You are blind as your blinders and beliefs in hatred make you.

A Democrat operative was caught with voting machines in his car!!! And you have the gall to NOT complain about that?? YOU TRUST?? And the interview (I cannot remember with whom it was, and since I have no link, I am lying, right?) with the girl at one polling place in, I believe, Broward county, saying she'd cheat in any way to see gore win?

These bother you not at all??

Elections are not determined by the most people, but by the electoral college. That IS the law of the land, in case you didn't know---or just use as an excuse for complaining. You didn't hear complaints when sick-willie won, did you, with a mere 43% in '92? That IS a mandate?...... Had gore won, you'd be saying "The people have spoken". Your statement on bush stealing the election IS so patently absurd and SICK that it merits no discussion!!
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »

NGC,

You sure wasted a lot of bandwidth on a topic you do not feel worthy of discussion. What liberals say is immaterial. What conservative did, pick up all the votes and throw them out, does. Then the court decided to stop the re-count. Amazing!
samiinh

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »

. Your statement on bush stealing the election IS so patently absurd and SICK that it merits no discussion!!

Then maybe you should just SHUT UP.
ngc321

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 11:11:36 PM »

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and fellow Democrats promised that with their majority in the Senate and House, the new Congress would be the most open and honest in history.

But just one month into the era of the Democratic majority, critics charge, Congressional leadership has taken steps to hide earmarks from public scrutiny.

For 12 years during the Republican congressional majority, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) tracked "pork" or earmark spending. In February, this federal agency discontinued the practice.

The move was made so quietly that many members of Congress were reportedly taken unaware. "CRS will no longer identify earmarks for individual programs, activities, entities, or individuals," whispered a private in-agency Feb. 22 directive from CRS director Daniel Mulhollan.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., sees the hand of the Democratic majority behind the halt in earmark tracking.

This IS not going to help liberals in the next elections.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 690
  Print  

Jump to: