Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 16701 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Meander Where You May
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »

On the issue of our fighter planes...

They can vector the thrust on the F-104 Starfighter to improve the steering and to help it to pull out of spins, and they can update the technology on the F-104, and they can continue to use the F-104 to help to protect America. The F-104 is way faster than the F-18, and with some modifications then the F-104 can still be of service.

And NASA continues to use the F-104 Starfighter as a chase plane, it is a fast plane, they just need to make some modifications and the plane can still be of service, along with being a chase plane for NASA.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »

My hometown is pretty famous, when I was a child in Oregon we used to receive a Weekly Reader in school with news for children, and my hometown was in the Weekly Reader because of the Space Shuttle Program, and they had photos of the first Space Shuttle Enterprise, etc. It was pretty cool to see my hometown in the Weekly Reader.

And also the top Motorcycle Racer was from Quartz Hill, Bob Hurricane Hannah; I had pictures of Bob Hannah on my bedroom wall as a kid in Oregon.

The Antelope Valley is more famous than people think.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2023, 06:22:05 PM »

Barbara Kingsolver has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize. Which would kill off this discussion if it was not already dead.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2023, 06:31:50 PM »

From the Meander Dictionary:

Kingsolver: v. To raise a topic that kills off all conversation in a forum. The mention of Poisonwood Bible absolutely kingsolvered Meander today.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2023, 07:22:34 PM »

Little quiz of random fun questions.

Fats Domino, famous R&B musician, inspired the stage name of what other musician?

The Canary Islands are named for what animal?   

What is the animal most dangerous to humans? (Aside from fellow humans)

What was the reason to give Easter Island its name?
Chubby Checkerboard, dogs, Hippos, it was discovered on that date.

Two of those combined reminded me of some research I did in about 2005 into dog bites. Between 1995 and 2005, 2 people were mauled to death by Pekingese. That makes me incredibly happy to think about.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2023, 05:38:47 PM »

LMAO!

Hippos is wrong.  It's the mosquito.

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »

SIERRA HOTEL AERONAUTICS

Sadly, on this date in history; May 20th 1971; The Boeing SST 2707 American government-funded contract supersonic swing wing passenger airliner project was cancelled.

Had Boeing continued program development at its facilities in Seattle, Washington, the supersonic transport (SST) design was expected to be capable of reaching cruise speeds of three times the speed of sound (Mach 3), with a load of 250-300 passengers, making her very much larger, and faster than the Franco-British Concorde, and the Soviet Tupolev Tu-144.

By October 1969, there were delivery positions reserved for 122 Boeing SSTs by 26 airlines, including Alitalia, Canadian Pacific Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Iberia, KLM, Northwest Airlines, and World Airways.

It was projected that SSTs would dominate the skies around the world, with inferior subsonic Boeing's 747's being only a passing intermediate fad.

www.Sierrahotel.net

------------

Lockheed in the Antelope Valley of Southern California is working on a new supersonic passenger jet that has a quieter sonic boom so that it can fly over land. We will have supersonic travel soon, and it will be safe to fly over land, so people can travel from New York to Los Angeles in no time.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2023, 11:55:11 AM »

We were looking at odd stories in medicine and science at another website, and I was happy to add a couple to my list.  I know Hairy Lime likes the rectangular wombat poo and the mauling deaths by Pekingese, among others.  Now I've added the man who died from sticking tampons up his nostrils in an attempt to cure snoring, and a 1920s story where a man was allegedly strangled by his own thymus gland.  Life is good!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2023, 01:30:01 PM »

Apparently it keeps the poo from rolling away. Wombats use their poo to mark their territory. Which somehow makes me think of bambu.

Also vaguely science related is that Francis Bacon died of pneumonia conracted while experimenting with ice and snow as a means of preserving meat. Making him the founder of empiricism and its first prominent victim.

My predictive type keeps dropping the g. It has apparently taken up folk singing.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »

I have heard this before, about Bacon, from you, and reserved judgment on its authenticity.   I can't now find any evidence that it is true, and simply going outside in the winter does not cause pneumonia.  Nor did Bacon found empiricism.  Many earlier thinkers going back to Ancient Greece, Arabia, and India espoused empiricist concepts.
In Italy, Giordano Bruno and other thinkers were arguing empiricist views well before Bacon.  There was even a prior Middle Ages Bacon, Roger, who developed empiricist ideas, minus the pheasant stuffing.

Sorry to pour cold water on the anecdote.  Or stuff it with snow.  It could still be defended with a circle of wombat briquettes, if needed.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2023, 03:52:48 PM »

I have heard this before, about Bacon, from you, and reserved judgment on its authenticity.   I can't now find any evidence that it is true, and simply going outside in the winter does not cause pneumonia.  Nor did Bacon found empiricism.  Many earlier thinkers going back to Ancient Greece, Arabia, and India espoused empiricist concepts.
In Italy, Giordano Bruno and other thinkers were arguing empiricist views well before Bacon.  There was even a prior Middle Ages Bacon, Roger, who developed empiricist ideas, minus the pheasant stuffing.

Sorry to pour cold water on the anecdote.  Or stuff it with snow.  It could still be defended with a circle of wombat briquettes, if needed.
It is like Santa Claus punching an Arian heretic in the face at the Council of Nicaea, transubstantiation or the Russian pee tape. I do not care if it true or not. I believe it.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »

Heehee.  I'm not one to criticize, having held beliefs about ghosts, UFOs, cats that contain the spirits of dead relatives, and God being a lab nerd who makes bubble universes.  Believe on, Garth.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2023, 10:15:36 PM »

With Halloween coming, take a tour of the King library in Bangor, Maine.  No one in the King clan can bear to throw away a book. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/interactive/2023/stephen-king-home-library/

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2023, 10:56:01 AM »

In what percentage of cases of people uttering the phrase, "I'm not judging you," is the assertion accurate?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2023, 09:22:50 AM »

Happy 400th Birthday to the greatest work of literature ever published, the First Folio, by William Shakespeare, from Stratford upon Avon. A concluding statement that would have started a huge debate 8n the Old Meander.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11