Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 258649 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1380 on: December 03, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »

The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences.

What I derived from their comment was that they did not see much difference between Georgia and Oklahoma. Therefore they went to the guidance of conference champions and put Oklahoma above Georgia. 
As Mullens explained the “ cluster” was comprised of three, Okla,OSU, and Georgia.
Okla was ahead of OSU going in and both won. Georgia lost a close game. Protocol dictated a one loss Chamion for the 4th Spot. Had Oklahoma lost it would have been OSU.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 03, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »

The Committee thought the three teams had no significant differences.

What I derived from their comment was that they did not see much difference between Georgia and Oklahoma. Therefore they went to the guidance of conference champions and put Oklahoma above Georgia. 
As Mullens explained the “ cluster” was comprised of three, Okla,OSU, and Georgia.
Okla was ahead of OSU going in and both won. Georgia lost a close game. Protocol dictated a one loss Chamion for the 4th Spot. Had Oklahoma lost it would have been OSU.

Old ground already covered. Try and keep up Skip.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 03, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »

We'll have to wait and see how the Tide/Sooner game plays out to put the final chapter to the narrative. That and how Georgia does in their bowl game.
The narrative is over. The Committee did its job by selecting the four best teams for a seeded playoff.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 03, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »

https://n.rivals.com/news/college-football-playoff-why-each-final-four-team-will-won-t-win-it-all

Nice quick read without a lot of fluff.

I still love the rat poison comment.

The first line in the Clemson comment is the big one IMO.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 03, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »

We'll have to wait and see how the Tide/Sooner game plays out to put the final chapter to the narrative. That and how Georgia does in their bowl game.
The narrative is over. The Committee did its job by selecting the four best teams for a seeded playoff.

Yours and their narrative might be over and that's cool for you. And if you want to stop talking about it I'd actually appreciate it.  RRR

Other people's go on however, this is after all a conversation forum. You'll have to deal with that Skip old sock.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 03, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »

Yours and their narrative might be over and that's cool for you. And if you want to stop talking about it I'd actually appreciate it.  RRR

Other people's go on however, this is after all a conversation forum. You'll have to deal with that Skip old sock.
I think you cannot require foreknowledge of the Committee. Whether or not the Committee got the 4 teams right is judged on the regular season, not the bowl results. That information is not in the Committee's knowledge when they make their choice. Even if Georgia crushes in its bowl and OK goes down hard, the Committee choice is not negated, just as they do not get extra credit for including OSU in year 1. And I swear I do not feel this way just because we got absolutely waxed as a 3 seed.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 03, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »

Sure the conversations go on. On two levels. Scouting reports , analysis, etc comparing the teams in the playoff.   And the same for the 76 also-rans trying to win a Bowl Championship.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:50:28 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 03, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »

I think you cannot require foreknowledge of the Committee. Whether or not the Committee got the 4 teams right is judged on the regular season, not the bowl results. That information is not in the Committee's knowledge when they make their choice. Even if Georgia crushes in its bowl and OK goes down hard, the Committee choice is not negated, just as they do not get extra credit for including OSU in year 1. And I swear I do not feel this way just because we got absolutely waxed as a 3 seed.

Of course what you say has merit.

I just don't quite see it that way. If OK gets waxed I will question the decision to place them there. Others will too. It's the nature of the beast. And actually I had to grudgingly give them extra credit for including OSU. That we often see things from diametrically opposed positions is not a bad thing.

If we don't let it get away from us.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 03, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »

Sure the conversations go on about the 40-odd Bowl Championships to be won.
But nothing that happens from now on changes the fact that only four teams compete for the NC.
And it will happen in three games with no talk of rankings, ratings, or protocols. The scoreboard is the only thing that matters.

That you reject the concept that there is a pluralism of perspectives isn't anything new.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 03, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

But nothing that happens from now on changes the fact that only four teams compete for the NC.
And it will happen in three games with no talk of rankings, ratings, or protocols. The scoreboard is the only thing that matters.

That you reject the concept that there is a pluralism of perspectives isn't anything new.
The CFP, like the Supreme Court, is the final arbiting body.
Enjoy the Citrus Bowl.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 03, 2018, 08:09:03 PM »

Enjoy the Citrus Bowl.

At the risk of sounding like Stevo, the epistemology of the situation as a debate isn't restricted nor invalidated by your ontology just because you say so. There are many approaches to which we can choose to understand the CFP as well as debate and rate its correctness or lack thereof.

Enjoy all of the bowls.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 03, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »

Enjoy the Citrus Bowl.

At the risk of sounding like Stevo, the epistemology of the situation as a debate isn't restricted nor invalidated by your ontology just because you say so.
Wasn’t me who said it.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 03, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »

Enjoy the Citrus Bowl.

At the risk of sounding like Stevo, the epistemology of the situation as a debate isn't restricted nor invalidated by your ontology just because you say so.
Wasn’t me who said it.

Split personality issues again Red?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »

CFP Final Rankings
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »

Thanks for the update.

And the debate still goes on, as to reinforce for you the epistemology of the situation as a debate isn't restricted nor invalidated by your ontology just because you say so. And yes you are saying so.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:50:41 PM by CaptainCargo »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 329