Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 247256 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #3135 on: December 01, 2019, 10:49:21 AM »

LSU looked more than just a little impressive against Tex A&M yesterday. Do they hop back above OSU? Michigan was ranked, even though they looked rank in their game.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: December 01, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »

Chaos was nowhere to be found this weekend. Can it be found next weekend?

If not the playoff field will be tOSU, LSU, and Clemson. Add Georgia if it wins the SEC. The only suspense would be the order to be sorted out by game results.

A Georgia loss sets up the fight for the fourth spot.

Utah or Oklahoma? I think the edge is with Utah if both win.

If both lose? Baylor.

So where is the most likely place for Chaos to be lurking?

In Charlotte North Carolina!

In the unlikely event(Chaos!) 9-3 Virginia could upset Clemson it would mean the Tigers are 12-1 without a Conference Championship and a weak  SOS to compare with Utah and Baylor/Oklahoma.

Such a scenario is unprecedented in the history of the CFP.

Maybe Chaos would be shooed away but it would be chuckling for a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:58:16 PM by Espnthree »

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 01, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

If tUSC COCK put 3 on the board vs. *li’l old Clemson*, do you think we are getting off the ROY bus in Charlotte and let *chaos* ensue.

You are making up a scenario but you haven’t really thought it through.

tOSU is infinitely more likely to get *gophered* like Richard Gere, than anything close to what you describe...

I know you are trolling but wigger, please...

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 01, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »

There is no chance of Ohio State getting "Gophered" in Big 10 Championship game.   But being Badgered is a possibility. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 01, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »

Thanks for the correction, I had lesser important things on my mind yesterday...

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 01, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »

The 48 points Auburn scored against Alabama were the most points allowed by a Nick Saban-coached team since 1999. That’s when Drew Brees led Purdue to a 52-28 win against Saban and Michigan State.

The Tide has 101 missed field goals since 2007, the most in the FBS.

Seven different teams have won the ACC Coastal in the past seven years,
That’s every team in the division.

Six teams will play in at least their third consecutive conference championship game. Clemson (2015-19), Georgia (2017-19), Oklahoma (2017-19), Ohio State (2017-19), Boise State (2017-19) and Memphis (2017-19)

Ohio State has defeated four teams that will play in conference championship games.
The Buckeyes beat FAU 45-21, Cincinnati 42-0, Miami (Ohio) 76-5 and Wisconsin 38-7. They’ll have a rematch with the Badgers next week.

Indiana finished with a winning Big Ten record and has eight total wins for the first time since 1993.
The Hoosiers have won at least eight games eight times in school history, and the school-record for wins is nine, last reached in 1967. The Hoosiers will probably get a chance for number 9
In the Pinstripe Bowl against Pittsburgh. 

There are 79 Bowl eligible teams for 78 spots. The likely team without a Bowl? Toledo. The Rockets were 6-6 but lost three MAC games to non-eligible Bowl teams.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:20:33 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 01, 2019, 07:18:59 PM »

Okay, so does Sabin and Alabama have a gripe about that first half FG?

According to the rules he doesn't. Will the rules committee be taking a look at this particular glitch? And do the NFL rules address this sort of thing?

Sabin has no argument,  IMO. The review was necessary to get the time on the clock correct. And He was dead wrong in his comment that "I know it takes three seconds, blah, blah, blah"! It doesn't take three seconds to snap a feetball, period.  The official gives the ready signal, the center snaps the ball, the hold is good, the protection is tight, and the kick is up....the kick is good!

I don't give a shit what the NFL says....but college football must follow their lead so 8 assume they will follow whatever the NFL wants.

When will the college PAT be moved back to NFL distance?
How many players will be suspended for fighting and throwing punches after this week's deplorable
Examples of Sportsmanship?

Well Deej it's a live ball situation, had the clock stopped at 1 second like the ref said there was as it was a first down and then started and they ran up to spike the ball time would have run out. There would then have been no attempt to kick a FG. So in effect the replay gave Auburn a FG try. At least that's how I saw it.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 01, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »

There is no chance of Ohio State getting "Gophered" in Big 10 Championship game.   But being Badgered is a possibility.

I don't think Wisconsin could beat OSU in a couple months of Saturdays. No more than Virginia scores more than 10 points on Clemson through the first three quarters.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 01, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »

The 48 points Auburn scored against Alabama were the most points allowed by a Nick Saban-coached team since 1999. That’s when Drew Brees led Purdue to a 52-28 win against Saban and Michigan State.

The Tide has 101 missed field goals since 2007, the most in the FBS.

Seven different teams have won the ACC Coastal in the past seven years,
That’s every team in the division.

Six teams will play in at least their third consecutive conference championship game. Clemson (2015-19), Georgia (2017-19), Oklahoma (2017-19), Ohio State (2017-19), Boise State (2017-19) and Memphis (2017-19)

Ohio State has defeated four teams that will play in conference championship games.
The Buckeyes beat FAU 45-21, Cincinnati 42-0, Miami (Ohio) 76-5 and Wisconsin 38-7. They’ll have a rematch with the Badgers next week.

Indiana finished with a winning Big Ten record and has eight total wins for the first time since 1993.
The Hoosiers have won at least eight games eight times in school history, and the school-record for wins is nine, last reached in 1967. The Hoosiers will probably get a chance for number 9
In the Pinstripe Bowl against Pittsburgh. 

There are 79 Bowl eligible teams for 78 spots. The likely team without a Bowl? Toledo. The Rockets were 6-6 but lost three MAC games to non-eligible Bowl teams.

All that post needed was a picture of the Ohio State tuba player at the end.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 01, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »

I don't think Wisconsin could beat OSU in a couple months of Saturdays. No more than Virginia scores more than 10 points on Clemson through the first three quarters.
Yeah.  I don't think Wisconsin has much of a chance either.  I picked against Ohio State once this season.  Likely not again. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 01, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »

Am I the only one here who was impressed with the way LSU wiped the field with Texas A&M? Or the only one that remembers the game between the Aggies and Clemson earlier in the year?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 02, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »

I did not get to see the IB this year, but rather than bitching about the refs or a gadget formation, I would focus on the fact that Alabama gave up 48 points to a team quarterbacked by Stevie Nix.  Still, having been on the other end of a pissed off Saban Bama team before, I would not want to face them in a Bowl game.

I also did not get to see any of the LSU/TAMU game either, but what stood out to me in reviewing was the 7.  Not that TAMU has been an offensive juggernaut this year, but limiting a team to 169 yards total offense for anyone is impressive.  The Tiger D has been worse than usual this year, and they will need a performance like that against a team like THE or ClemSIN.  As an aside: Burreaux was a nice touch.

God, we nearly lost to Maryland.

Harbaugh clearly did not like the “talent, preparation, coaching” question.  Probably because it is all three. Even when it looked like Methchicken was working its way back, as with the PSU, it never occurred to me that Methchicken could take the game.  THE could only give it away.  One of the articles I read – not sure which – put it aptly: THE is competing with Alabama and ClemSIN.  Methchicken is competing with Wisconsin.

Mount Union lost in the second round of the DIII tournament this year for the first time since the Clinton Administration.  In fact, the Clinton Administration’s first term: 1994. No current Purple Raider player was alive when that streak began.

Lots of carnage yesterday – Missery, Old Missississippi, BC, South Florida…. But not Clay Helton.  Yet.

RIP Pat Sullivan.  One of the first players I actively remember watching play.

Relevant Conference Championship games in order of confidence:

Virginia 41, ClemSIN 24

Just kidding.  ClemSIN 42, Virginia 7.  ClemSIN went through its slough of despond and has come out of it the team we expected them to be.  I understand why they are not the top seed.  I understand why they are not the second seed.  I still expect them to repeat.  Virginia may get a mercy score, but no more.  I look forward to the matchup against THE.  THE has a great defense, but they have not played against a quarterback anywhere as good as Jennifer Lawrence, or a back as good as Etienne.

THE 38, Wisconsin 7

Teams change, grow, learn.  College football can be weird.  You cannot necessarily use a previous result to predict a future one.  But in this case, I see nothing to indicate that the result of the rematch will be any different.  THE is moving like a tremendous machine.  Secretariat at the Belmont imagery chosen for its aptness.  Dobbins has had his best games against THE’s toughest opponents (and us).  Fields looks a little banged up but still threw for four touchdowns Saturday.  And defensively, they locked down Methchicken in the second half with Young being schemed out most of the game.  Actually, from what I saw, Methchicken’s tackles were quick enough to take his speed rush way outside.  Something to watch for.

Oklahoma 42, Baylor 17

I take the second half of the first game as my guide.  I think Oklahoma has more talent, and it never hurts to rely on that.  See what I did there?

Memphis 35, Cinci 31

Did Cinci learn anything from last week?  Probably.  Will what they learned help them this week?  Maybe.  Have I learned how to spell Cinncinatti without spell check?  Clearly not.  It is tough to beat a closely matched team twice in a short period of time.  Still, I think Memphis can do it, hallway dog pooped La Quinta and all.  Arguably, I have a tough time letting go of irrelevant things.  On to the NY6.

Oregon 24, Utah 21

I have really serious questions about this one.  Primarily, they revolve around Justin Herbert and his ability to play to his talent level.  Utah has been rolling along, offensively and defensively, but they really have not had a big test; the only currently ranked team they played beat them.  A win here puts Oregon in the Rose Bowl.  A loss will put Oregon… in the Rose Bowl.  Lots to play for here….

the Louisiana State 42, Georgia 27

I have no confidence in this pick at all, really.  Last Saturday’s suppression of TAMU may be a one-off, and the same could be said for Georgia’s offensive explosion against GTU.  I am picking this as iff those two games did not exist.  Burrow has the Heisman on lock down, and the defense will do just enough against a sputtering Georgia offense.  But I had Georgia as my #2 at the start of the year, and I am a stubborn, stubborn man. I would not be surprised by a Georgia win.  Which would be a really interesting bit of uncertainty going into the final Committee meeting.  Assuming ClemSIN and THE remain unbeaten and a one loss Georgia as the God’s Conference Champion… Non-champ LSU with a great resume?  Oklahoma with a lesser schedule and a four month lethargy?  Or Utah, if they beat Oregon for their only impressive win of the season?

Irrelevant Conference Championship games:

Central Michigan 31, Miami of OH-IO 21

In the battle for the Players Not Good Enough to Get Recruited by Freaking Indiana Conference Championship game.  If I do the Bowl Pool again this year: I AM PICKING AGAINST EVERY PNGEtGRbFI CONFERENCE TEAM.

Appalachian State 35, Louisiana 27

App State has an outside chance at the NY6, but it would take stumbles by both Memphis and Boise State.  I don’t think either stumbles.

Florida Atlantic 35, UAB 27

Will FAU still have its head coach?  There are a lot of schools out there who are probably willing to make a mistake and go Kiffining, and I expect he would jump at the opportunity, even this week.

Boise State 38, Hawai’I 17

Hey, nice year for the Rainbows.

Wisconsin-Whitewater 28, Mary Hardin, Mary Hardin-Baylor 21

Two traditional D III powers.  UWW is actually, by my count, a total of 5 U’s.  That counts for something in my book.

North Central 49, Delaware Valley 38

Delaware Valley is not even in Delaware.  NC has a pretty cracker jack offense; 699 yards against the Mount.

Muhlenberg 42, Salisbury 27

I’ll steak my reputation on this one.  That reputation being, a guy who will go for a bad joke over accuracy whenever necessary.

Well, it made me sick to see it; and I was sorry for them poor pitiful rascals, it seemed like I couldn't ever feel any hardness against them any more in the world. It was a dreadful thing to see. Human beings CAN be awful cruel to one another.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 02, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

Interesting comparisons pointed out today in the WSJ about how Clemson , Georgia , and LSU stack up in the final rankings. Clemson’s seeding is heavily dependent on the outcome of the LSU/Georgia
SEC CG.
All three had a common opponent; Texas A and M.
Clemson beat the Aggies 24-10.
Georgia beat the Aggies 19-13.
LSU crushed the Aggies by 43 points.
 If the committee is faced with using common opponents to separate equal teams then Clemson and Georgia could be pretty close, but the Tigers would not compare well with LSU.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 02, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »

My expectation:

1. LSU
2. THE
3. ClemSIN
4. Oklahoma
Well, it made me sick to see it; and I was sorry for them poor pitiful rascals, it seemed like I couldn't ever feel any hardness against them any more in the world. It was a dreadful thing to see. Human beings CAN be awful cruel to one another.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 02, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »

I also did not get to see any of the LSU/TAMU game either, but what stood out to me in reviewing was the 7.  Not that TAMU has been an offensive juggernaut this year, but limiting a team to 169 yards total offense for anyone is impressive. 

A and M finished 7-5 with four of its loss to teams ranked in the top 5 before the last week of the regular season: Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU.
No team in the CFP era has faced a “Murderers Row”  schedule like that one. 
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 329