Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250644 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »

Bosox was here on a daily basis when the Art Briles stuff was going down...Wait

Not really, Bo has never been here on a regular daily basis. He sporadically posts.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180823/gene-frenette-by-slapping-meyer-on-wrist-osu-sacrifices-piece-of-its-soul

Yes, they knew Meyer had to be punished beyond a time-served preseason suspension or women would be staging protests and holding up signs all over campus. OSU couldn’t have those visuals on CNN and every cable news outlet. The administration had to make it look like school leaders cared about domestic abuse while not sabotaging a promising football season.

So president Michael Drake, the Board of Trustees and an investigative team led by former U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White went over 60,000 pages of documents, pored over 10,000 text messages and 40,000 e-mails. And then. . . . they caved.

OSU appeased a football-crazed fan base more than sending a stern message about intolerance for domestic abuse.

Not allowing Meyer to coach the first three games, against outmanned Oregon State and Rutgers at home, then rebuilding TCU in Arlington, Tx., isn’t a massive consequence. A 17-day suspension for athletic director Gene Smith -- for not taking quicker, sufficient action against Zach Smith or reporting it to compliance after knowing of multiple arrests and incidents against his ex-wife, Courtney -- is a joke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Not really, Bo has never been here on a regular daily basis. He sporadically posts.
Yeah.  That was my point. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »

Urban Meyer deleted texts before handing over phone, OSU investigation finds

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-football/news/urban-meyer-deleted-texts-ohio-state-investigation-domestic-abuse-scandal-zach-smith/lsmq66u7w0fr1bs6xzsz66tk9

Ohio State findings: Urban Meyer deleted texts, 'had significant memory issues'

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/08/ohio_state_findings_urban_meye.html

Investigative report: Urban Meyer deleted texts, suffers from memory issues

It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-16 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to info and discussing how to delete messages older than one year."

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »

So tOSU threw the book at Meyer?

He sits for the cupcakes.

that'll teach him.

Apparently the book had Archie and Jughead on the cover.

Nothing against tOSU, but colleges, just like every other organization, generally does a piss poor job of regulating themselves.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

Yeah.  That was my point.

If your point is that Bo doesn't like OSU, well that is hardly something anyone here doesn't already know.

His statements are valid nonetheless.

OSU could have and should have done better here.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »

Well then let Bo say that about other teams as well and we'll know what his standards are.  Otherwise, as usual, it's just simple OSU bashing.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »

Ohio State's Impotent Urban Meyer Decision Another Example Of Major College Athletics' Brokenness

We live in a society where as long as you give people want they want and tell them what they want to hear, they will let you get away with nearly anything.

What difference does it make whether you conduct business like a weasel or spout half-truths and full-blown whoppers to indulge your pathetic ego and phony self-image? Just win, baby.

To be clear, I’m talking about Urban Meyer here. Who did you think I meant?

People in Columbus, Ohio, want to win football games, which is why Urban Meyer is still the head coach at Ohio State. If not for his having won better than 90% of his games as the Buckeyes’ coach, he’d be out on the street for knowingly keeping an accused domestic abuser on his staff for the better part of the last decade.

It says all that you need to know about Meyer that he never apologized to former assistant Zach Smith’s wife Courtney at Wednesday’s press conference that announced his suspension for the season’s first three games. Not the slightest hint of compassion for a woman he apparently believes was repeatedly beaten by her husband.

I say “apparently” because he fired Zach Smith a month ago for some reason, even if nothing in Meyer’s behavior showed empathy for someone he could have helped and never did.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

Well then let Bo say that about other teams as well and we'll know what his standards are.  Otherwise, as usual, it's just simple OSU bashing.

Again, the fact that he doesn't like OSU means very little here. His statements are valid. Nobody can talk about all things at all times. Everyone has priorities, just because his aren't yours makes no difference.

Unless this is a case of, he needs to say what you want him to say when you want him to say it.

If so then okay, cool, I get your point now. Sorry for the confusion.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »

Nobody can talk about all things at all times.

He never talks about anything else BUT Ohio State.  There are plenty of outrages daily in college football and one of the reasons that I don't follow it all that closely. Meyer should likely have been punished worse, Durkin should have been fired yesterday.  Paterno should have been fired immediately.  College football is the classic example of the tail wagging the dog.  Bo ONLY  comes here to talk about whatever sins OSU commits.  This is probably out of some sense that he's really sticking it to ESPN3.  So be it.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:48:31 AM by Yankguy1 »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »

Stewart Mandel’s take on Meyer’s “ slap on the wrist”.

https://theathletic.com/485839/2018/08/23/ohio-state-football-coach-urban-meyer-suspended-investigative-report/

Mandel’s piece includes a link to the 23 page Investigation report which should be read if anyone wants to offer an opinion.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

Nobody can talk about all things at all times.

He never talks about anything else BUT Ohio State.  ... ...  This is probably out of some sense that he's really sticking it to ESPN3.  So be it.

He talks occasionally about Cal and other things.

You seem surprised he said something. Can't imagine why. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2018, 11:09:46 AM »

I'm not surprised.  As I said.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »

Stewart Mandel’s take on Meyer’s “ slap on the wrist”.

https://theathletic.com/485839/2018/08/23/ohio-state-football-coach-urban-meyer-suspended-investigative-report/

Mandel’s piece includes a link to the 23 page Investigation report which should be read if anyone wants to offer an opinion.

Nice two paragraphs.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-suspension-draws-critical-reactions-think-got-off-light-021922789.html

Urban Meyer was “not complete and accurate” at media day. Wow. That’s some rhetorical gymnastics. I’m not sure one can do a limbo dance low enough to see Ohio State’s “high standards.” https://t.co/6saFkJe4Pu

Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) August 23, 2018

Meanwhile, some pointed to the Ohio State situation as a symptom of a larger problem with college sports.

Ohio State fans need to shut up trying to justify this. College football fans need to shut up and sheath their swords

Everyone who's any good at this sport is corrupt and awful. That's how it goes. Accept it and shut up, or stop watching and save us all the moralizing headache

— Joey Gulino (@JGulinoYahoo) August 23, 2018

The above guy probably thinks girls that get raped should do the same thing.

CBS’ Dennis Dodd stopped just short of calling the ordeal a coverup.

"What I just heard in that press conference was description of a borderline coverup."@dennisdoddcbs joins @TheKostos on https://t.co/JB1AAXRNa2 to break down Urban Meyer's three-game suspension pic.twitter.com/WCy3PyY5Jh

— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) August 23, 2018

Yahoo’s Dan Wetzel questioned the priorities of those involved.

Ah, first mention of "Buckeye Nation" in this news conference, which feels flippant considering the core issue here so serious. College administrators can't help themselves though.

— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) August 23, 2018

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 329