Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250442 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1095 on: November 18, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »

Les Miles to Kansas.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 18, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »

MY with the epic collapse, I think they pulled a CLEM to resurrect the vanquished nomenclature.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »

Who's MY?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 18, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »

MD

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 18, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

Work with me a little, jeez.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 18, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »

Oh. Maryland didn't "pull a Clemson" yesterday. As you know pulling a Clemson is an inexplicable loss, frequently a blowout one, to a team you were thought to be considerably better than. Actually OSU has become the prime practitioner of pulling a Clemson. Iowa and Purdue.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 18, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »

gutsy call love it,

fuck

the guy was open.

I thought the OSU receiver fumbled the ball before he was down on the one yard line. Ball was out IMO. Should've been Terps ball, game over.

But the officials, and the announcers, thought differently.
Res ipsa loquitor.

Just out of curiosity did you think it was a fumble? Or at least a booth review was warranted?
I thought it was clearly a touchdown, no fumble not even close. But then again, I did not.see it as I was busy in my workshop trying to build us A FUCKING QUARTERBACK.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 18, 2018, 01:35:36 PM »

The Buckeye defense is what is blowing my mind at times.
Losing Bosa was a big blow. You don’t remove one of the top players in the country without some sort of consequences. As for the over-all defense, it moves the rotations one player lower. With Bosa they were shaping up to have two excellent defensive ends. Now they have just one, as nobody has stepped up to make any sort of significant contributions in place of Bosa. With Bosa they were shaping up to have two excellent defensive ends and one real good D tackle….which would have left them only one tackle position to fill with someone who could make some big contributions. So in essence, losing Bosa has left them with half of a championship caliber defensive line.
They also seem to be notably weak at the linebacker position. OSU usually has at least one star linebacker, supported by at least one other backer who is really good. This year they have one supporting linebacker who is just alright (at times). All three seem to be fairly slow and out of position a lot (hence all these long runs popping through for touchdowns.
They have some decent young defensive backs who should develop for the future.
It all ads up to, instead of a defensive unit that I thought might come together as the season progressed to just a bad defense, something that not many people in Columbus can remember.
A reasonable expectation for this season might be to win the Big 10 title and then to go to the Rose Bowl. God forbid that some teams ahead of them crap out and they are elevated to to be one of the top four. Alabama or Clemson would murder them.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 18, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »

First and foremost keep this in mind Driver my brother. 'When' you play your creampufffs' doesn't matter to a computer algorithm that measures SOS.
Cap:
My complaint about Alabama playing the Citadel at this time has nothing to do with SOS. Bama is so universally worshiped now that they could probably play a whole schedule of creampuffs yet they would not be too diminished in many peoples eyes. As far as that team is concerned there are only 3 games that really matter. The SEC championship to get them into the playoffs, the semifinal game in the playoffs and then the championship game. Until someone can take them out in one of those games nothing else seems to matter. I just thought it might be better for the playoffs if they played someone who had a chance of beating them so as to make the jockeying for position in the top four more interesting. Clemson has nearly stumbled their way out of the playoffs the last couple years by nearly losing to, well, let’s not call them creampuffs, but let’s just call them not highly regarded teams. Playing the Citadel at this time of the year is just a plain waste of a Saturday which might be put to better use by playing against a team with some potential. Hell, the Tide might even get ultra-bold and schedule a decent opponent and go on the road to play them. Maybe travel to California…..certainly would be a ratings winner out west.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 18, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »

First and foremost keep this in mind Driver my brother. 'When' you play your creampufffs' doesn't matter to a computer algorithm that measures SOS.
Cap:
My complaint about Alabama playing the Citadel at this time has nothing to do with SOS. Bama is so universally worshiped now that they could probably play a whole schedule of creampuffs yet they would not be too diminished in many peoples eyes. As far as that team is concerned there are only 3 games that really matter. The SEC championship to get them into the playoffs, the semifinal game in the playoffs and then the championship game. Until someone can take them out in one of those games nothing else seems to matter. I just thought it might be better for the playoffs if they played someone who had a chance of beating them so as to make the jockeying for position in the top four more interesting. Clemson has nearly stumbled their way out of the playoffs the last couple years by nearly losing to, well, let’s not call them creampuffs, but let’s just call them not highly regarded teams. Playing the Citadel at this time of the year is just a plain waste of a Saturday which might be put to better use by playing against a team with some potential. Hell, the Tide might even get ultra-bold and schedule a decent opponent and go on the road to play them. Maybe travel to California…..certainly would be a ratings winner out west.

When you put it that way I agree with you.

Besides if I were to fault Nicky for scheduling a creampuff game at this time I wouldn't schedule a bunch of cut blocking bassids like those guys. Too much of a chance to get some of your starters effed up. Because if I did schedule a game that it would be to rest up and heal up. Seems counterproductive to play those guys to achieve that end.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:14:55 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 18, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »

Hey. I know what the score is and what’s happening in college football these days. There really isn’t any reason for Bama to go on the road and take on someone decent at this point. The idea is to get to that national championship game, get that trophy, rake in the riches that come along with that, get all the best recruits, etc. etc. etc. But sometimes you can do some things that really help college football on the way.
I was thinking of a long ago Southern Cal team which traveled to Alabama to play the Tide. By the time Sam ‘Bam’ Cunningham and friends were done with them the folks at Alabama knew that they finally had to get themselves some of those ’Negroes’ on their team or their time as a national powerhouse was over.
OSU scheduled a home and away with Oklahoma the past two years that worked out wonderfully for both schools and college football in particular. OSU went there and beat the Sooners on their home field and accrued much national standing from that, despite early worries from some that there was no good which could come from an out of conference game against a national powerhouse. Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield returned the favor the next year in Columbus. All great stuff, and great for the game. Stack that up against an Alabama vs. Citadel game, which is a waste of everybody’s time, regardless of what it does or does not do for someones strength of schedule.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »

It wasn't just Alabama. Other teams in the SEC had late season out-of-conference games yesterday. The SEC has been doing that  for years.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 18, 2018, 11:34:39 PM »

It wasn't just Alabama. Other teams in the SEC had late season out-of-conference games yesterday. The SEC has been doing that  for years.
It wasn’t a late-season out of conference game I objected to. It was a late season OOC game against a dog of an opponent. All that should be part of the early season schedule, and by this point everyone should be getting down to serious business.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2018, 06:24:03 AM »

Check out the other dogs the SEC teams played. Not just Alabama. It's an SEC thing.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »

Hey. I know what the score is and what’s happening in college football these days. There really isn’t any reason for Bama to go on the road and take on someone decent at this point. The idea is to get to that national championship game, get that trophy, rake in the riches that come along with that, get all the best recruits, etc. etc. etc. But sometimes you can do some things that really help college football on the way.
I was thinking of a long ago Southern Cal team which traveled to Alabama to play the Tide. By the time Sam ‘Bam’ Cunningham and friends were done with them the folks at Alabama knew that they finally had to get themselves some of those ’Negroes’ on their team or their time as a national powerhouse was over.
OSU scheduled a home and away with Oklahoma the past two years that worked out wonderfully for both schools and college football in particular. OSU went there and beat the Sooners on their home field and accrued much national standing from that, despite early worries from some that there was no good which could come from an out of conference game against a national powerhouse. Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield returned the favor the next year in Columbus. All great stuff, and great for the game. Stack that up against an Alabama vs. Citadel game, which is a waste of everybody’s time, regardless of what it does or does not do for someones strength of schedule.

Like I said I hear what you're saying. I can't fault Nicky quite as much as you because at this point of the year Bama playing an OOC powerhouse is something basically nobody does. This is basically an SEC thing where they are using this method of healing up before rivalry week. Personally I can see their point from where they are sitting and I can see your point more as a fan of the overall game of college football. But I think the game has gotten to the point of what is good for college football means to different people.

To the folks that run BIG TIME college football they care about money. They want the stars to be there and shine during 'Rivalry Week'. Much like all of these so-called new 'safety rules' have as much to do with money as with safety. QB's, RB, and WRs are 'money' players. Don't touch them. This motto rings even truer in Pro-Football. The way I see it the powers that be might just as well put red vests on them and stop all the fucking pretending.

A running back, wide receiver, TE and QB can lower their head and deliver a crown of the helmet blow any fucking time they feel like it. They can stick their hands into a defenders face mask(stiff arm) any fucking time they feel like it. What kind of two faced bullshit is that?

Offensive pussies.

Addendum: The SEC is smarter than other conferences in this scheduling regard. So one would expect at least a modicum cry of foul talk by other conference members and fans that don't do it.

So while I can fault them as a fan I can't fault them for their intelligence in doing so. Smart savvy move really if you think about it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:39:42 AM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 329