Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 250128 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2160 on: June 03, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »

Or just call your argument lane because he cannot handle.to discuss it on the merits and claim victory while.standing in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner, like you.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:37 PM »

I guess you weren't done. As usual your wont to disagree with any opinion I have has aggravated your syndrome. Giving you once more an itch you need to scratch. 

FTR I never claimed victory. That's just your usual BS at work. If you are upset that I said your opinion sucked tough shit. It did.

And, again as always, I suppose I'll have to give you the last word because of your infantile need for it.

Have at it bra.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 03, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »

I guess you weren't done. As usual your wont to disagree with any opinion I have has aggravated your syndrome. Giving you once more an itch you need to scratch. 
I agree.with you more than I disagree. You just personalize disagreements. My speculation is it is some deep seeded inferiority complex that makes you uncomfortable with having to engage in argument. There are other possible explanations.

FTR I never claimed victory. That's just your usual BS at work. If you are upset that I said your opinion sucked tough shit. It did.

And, again as always, I suppose I'll have to give you the last word because of your infantile need for it.
I envision you looking in a mirror while typing this.

Have at it bra.
I had the last word about four posts ago. You never countered my arguments. You just decided to insult instead.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 04, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »

Simple tweak

1) set a deadline for entering the portal. If after that date, then you will sit a year.  No special circumstances
2) Player should lose scholarship immediately (if enrolled, then at end of current semester) upon entering portal
3) School should be granted a scholarship credit when one of their players enters--which they can use to grab someone else out of the portal, or their own player back if both parties decide they can stay...or to use for the next incoming class.

Losing their scholarship immediately will give players pause.  Sort of like leaving early for the draft.  There are no guarantees...and you might be shooting yourself in the foot.   There should be no free tests of the water for the kids.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 04, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

Simple tweak

1) set a deadline for entering the portal. If after that date, then you will sit a year.  No special circumstances
No Coach would buy that.  He could be forced to keep a player he does not want.
2) Player should lose scholarship immediately (if enrolled, then at end of current semester) upon entering portal[
Scholarships belong to the schools and the athletic department has to pay the school the going rate. The NCAA can establish limits, It cannot have a hand in giving them out or taking them back.

he 3) School should be granted a scholarship credit when one of their players enters--which they can use to grab someone else out of the portal, or their own player back if both parties decide they can stay...or to use for the next incoming class.

Losing their scholarship immediately will give players pause.  Sort of like leaving early for the draft.  There are no guarantees...and you might be shooting yourself in the foot.   There should be no free tests of the water for the kids.
You are searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:40:12 PM by Espnthree »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 05, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »

I think what needs to be restricted is tampering and recruiting by schools, not a kid's ability to choose a better path for himself.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »

Simple tweak

2) Player should lose scholarship immediately (if enrolled, then at end of current semester) upon entering portal
3) School should be granted a scholarship credit when one of their players enters--which they can use to grab someone else out of the portal, or their own player back if both parties decide they can stay...or to use for the next incoming class.

I'd stop at number one. And restrict freshmen from using it at all.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 05, 2019, 07:33:14 PM »

I have to wonder why so many West Virginia players are transferring. Something rotten in Morgantown?

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 05, 2019, 07:48:49 PM »

Simple tweak

I'd stop at number one. And restrict freshmen from using it at all.
Somehow, I picture you as the guy with the whip on a Roman trireme. Row, galley slaves! ROW!

Though assuming by "freshmen" you mean during your first football year, as opposed to academic year, your points are valid. I am not sure why some kid who is looking to transfer has to wait until June to look for offers, rather than March. But you can't put in the transfer inquiry because you were fourth string your first game or Coach Saban stepped over your gassed, unconscious body on the practice field your first day to scream at a sophomore.

Actually, I am not sure that concept should not stretch to all years. Once fall practice starts you are locked in.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 05, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »

Once fall practice starts you are locked in.

Ok, we are getting somewhere.   Whatever that date is, we can agree that some sort of milestone date should be observed so it is not throwing a program into chaos and it gives everyone time to adjust.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 05, 2019, 08:27:42 PM »

Now, I'm going to skip to #3 for the moment.

Unless I'm mistaken*, under the current rules, a team can lose several players to the portal after the signing deadline and find itself in pretty desperate shape at a given position.  But, since, they are not granted an extra incoming scholarship, they have no way of filling this position of need that was created by allowing a player to put himself in the portal.  They can't currently even go into the portal to grab someone else.

Hence the clear need for rule change #3. 

* And if I am, I am confident I will receive a snarky reply to let me know.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »

Actually, I am not sure that concept should not stretch to all years. Once fall practice starts you are locked in.

Nitpicking, but I'd set the begin deadline at Jan 10th and the end deadline at July 1st. With grad students able to so as they please.

And FTR I was and am strict. Nothing wrong with discipline when tempered with the appropriate compassion and concern needed, even though the liberals of this world swear otherwise. My father expected honor grades from me in school and he got them. Just as I expected them from my son.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:59 PM »

Now, I'm going to skip to #3 for the moment.

Unless I'm mistaken*, under the current rules, a team can lose several players to the portal after the signing deadline and find itself in pretty desperate shape at a given position.  But, since, they are not granted an extra incoming scholarship, they have no way of filling this position of need that was created by allowing a player to put himself in the portal.  They can't currently even go into the portal to grab someone else.

Hence the clear need for rule change #3.

Okay   You have no support for #1 and #2.
As for # 3 it still is search for aproblem.
If a portal decision in October blindsides a coach then the coach is an idiot and/or on a path to being fired.
Who wouldn't put himself on the Portal?
Apparently no one

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:49:12 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26907087/ex-gator-steele-heading-usc-not-oregon

Ex-Gator Steele heading to USC, not Oregon:

When Steele initially announced the transfer, he said he would be attending Oregon. Steele then visited USC on Monday, according to a source, and decided to change course, landing with the Trojans. Steele is originally from the Los Angeles area and was committed to USC at one point during his recruitment. The change of heart might seem surprising to Oregon fans, but Steele told The Athletic that his flip to USC was to stay closer to his family after his mother was laid off from her job.

"It was going to be a financial hardship for her to be able to come watch me play," Steele told The Athletic. "My mom has never missed one of my games before. Going to Oregon seemed like a really good idea. I still think that if I were to go there, I would do very well."

Steele went on to say that the cost of plane tickets from California to Oregon would have made it impossible for his parents to attend his games and support him in person.

Sooooo, where again is the state of Florida?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 06, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »

Once fall practice starts you are locked in.

Ok, we are getting somewhere.   Whatever that date is, we can agree that some sort of milestone date should be observed so it is not throwing a program into chaos and it gives everyone time to adjust.

I'd still set the cutoff date at Mid-June early July.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 329