Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2352 2353 [2354] 2355 2356 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1661219 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35295 on: May 27, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »

I liked the moments of wit and humor from both Matt and Toby,  in the Spectator debate,  and I think both had reasonable points regarding the sloppiness of statistics at this stage of the pandemic.   I did find Tony's theory of falsified death certificates (likely this is a serious felony,  and therefore a serious allegation) to garner a government check for the hospital, both specious (evidence?) and quite the insult to the medical professionals who work themselves to exhaustion keeping people alive.   I've seen evidence, from various medical experts,  that the death certificate problem goes in the opposite direction and have posted links here on the matter.  As Bo notes,  many deaths were of untested persons  and logged as pneumonia, heart failure,  kidney failure,  and so on.   This is why,  and this cannot be stressed too strongly, that a different method of statistical capture is needed,  like excess deaths.   

Finally,  Toby rests a lot of his theory (one rejected by epidemiologists) on the notion that lockdowns have no measurable effect,  as if epidemiologists are sorely in need of a parallel universe with no lockdowns or else they have no method of statistical analysis or modeling.   This is not really how epidemiology works,  and Toby should devote more study to how it actually does.   

My own reading is that lockdowns aren't necessary in locations where everyone agrees on honoring social distancing and mutual masking and universal testing and contact tracing is implemented.   What's sad is that we need lockdowns because our culture is so divided and so many distrust scientific common sense that any first year nursing student can grasp.   If we really protected the old and diabetic and medically fragile,  made sure they were placed out of harms way, then sure,  certain forms of recreation and commerce would be far more safely achieved.

What about the ‘essential workers’ who are poor and/or black who are now being extorted into risking their lives?

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35296 on: May 27, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »

Nothing new under the sun...

“I’m losing my breath!”

FUCK YOUR BREATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEhhcgFf5RQ
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35297 on: May 27, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

In any case, the early belief was that many folks weren't able to get tested, were dying at home or in nursing homes, and CV-19 deaths was therefore being undereported.   

Nah - not in this country

If they were late stage (read:  dying) COVID, they were hospitalized.

exception would be a much older person who makes the decision with doctor and family to just stay home and die.  Not many of those.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35298 on: May 27, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »

In any case, the early belief was that many folks weren't able to get tested, were dying at home or in nursing homes, and CV-19 deaths was therefore being undereported.   

exception would be a much older person who makes the decision with doctor and family to just stay home and die.  Not many of those.

No, you're wrong.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35299 on: May 27, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »

It's been awhile since Kid has happily updated us with even Rasmussen's numbers.

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.  He is incapable of getting out of his own way.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:05:47 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35300 on: May 27, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »

Protecting the elderly should have been a high priority.
I was surprised when I read that many/most nursing home staff worked at more than one facility, and frequently 3 or more.  That sounded awfully worrisome.

Also, as much as possible keeping out the disease altogether.
Trump likes to tout his early (but not terribly thorough) China travel ban.  But the disease simply faked left then went right, coming right on in from Euroland. 
Other countries quarantined foreign arrivals, including health monitors checking up on them.

The US had a lot of lead time and failed miserably.
No coordinated national strategy, as Trump abdicated his responsibility and left the states to scramble for supplies and the correct approach.  Limited and botched testing.   Failed leadership from Trump, the CDC, etc.  And Trump helped politicize masks, lockdowns, and reopenings.   Sad
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #35301 on: May 27, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »

As the economy reopens then people need to be creative, like the people in the desert. If something does not exist then you need to create it, and if there are no jobs then you need to create your own job.

Out in the desert, because there was nothing there the people had to create whatever they wanted. If you wanted a roller skating rink so that you could skate, then you and your family opened a skating rink. Whatever it was, people would just open the business themselves. And you could not go looking for jobs, there were no jobs, you had to create your own jobs. And people got excited about things such as a new K-Mart.

My Grandmother opened her own dog kennel to create her own job, and my Grandfather did construction and he built her kennel for her.

My Mother opened her own beauty shop, it was her first job and she owned the company.

That is how you have to think in the desert.

You have to be creative in the desert.

So, it was natural for me to want to start a production company to make my own movies. All that I need is a super wealthy financial backer. I could be making movies right now if I had the money, I have a script all ready to go.

As the economy reopens then we all need to be creative, and we need good financial backers.

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35302 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »

Cassandra Wilson has done a lot of terrific covers of pop/rock songs:

Last Train to Clarksville
Tupelo Honey
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
The Weight
Crazy
Wichita Lineman

All worth checking out.

I was supposed to see Cassandra perform in Shanghai circa 2005, but she canceled (saying her mother was ill).  Disappointing.  I don't get to see many great musicians in SH.  Jessye Norman, Dianne Reeves, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Todd Rundgren, Debbie Harry ... probably a few others I'm forgetting.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35303 on: May 27, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »

I'm also just one super-wealthy backer away from being highly successful ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35304 on: May 27, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

The person wasn't tested.  And people who died in hospitals weren't tested after the fact.  And I imagine not at all unusual for people to die at home without ever having been tested.

Explain the excess mortality.  Or stfu.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35305 on: May 27, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »

Trump likes to tout his early (but not terribly thorough) China travel ban.  But the disease simply faked left then went right, coming right on in from Euroland. 

It wasn't a travel ban.  It was a restriction.  One that brought 40,000 people back to the US all at once, and is credited with actually accelerating the outbreak.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35306 on: May 27, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »

It's been awhile since Kid has happily updated us with even Rasmussen's numbers.

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.  He is incapable of getting out of his own way.

Democrats?

How about white people?

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35307 on: May 27, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »

Democrats?

How about white people?

And close to ten per cent of the brothers

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35308 on: May 27, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »

Democrats?

How about white people?
Do I get to criticize those black folks (by the color of their skins) that are going to vote for Trump?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35309 on: May 27, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.

He is an incumbent.  Of course there is a chance.

Republicans should be embarrassed that he is on the ballot.  In 2016, and now, after they looked the other way from clearly impeachable conduct.
Pages: 1 ... 2352 2353 [2354] 2355 2356 ... 4288