Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1645262 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3615 on: September 29, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »

I think you're wrong. Handle it.

I could be wrong. However, you stepped out and said I was wrong but offered the same ol same ol that has resulted in the GOP controlling all branches of government, whereas the coalition I tout has delivered all the victories in the last decade.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: September 29, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »

http://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=6a52cb6c-112d-4563-b210-700eebd433ad&appid=1165

"I am Chessy Prout’s mother. I know what happens when a 15-year-old sexual assault victim speaks out
"

"As the parent of a child who reported her sexual assault at age 15, I am disgusted by the response to the sexual assault allegations brought forward by Christine Blasey Ford about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: September 29, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: September 29, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: September 29, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »

http://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=6a52cb6c-112d-4563-b210-700eebd433ad&appid=1165

"I am Chessy Prout’s mother. I know what happens when a 15-year-old sexual assault victim speaks out
"

"As the parent of a child who reported her sexual assault at age 15, I am disgusted by the response to the sexual assault allegations brought forward by Christine Blasey Ford about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh."

The RESPONSE has been that he may have done it.

What does she want?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: September 29, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »

"

The RESPONSE has been that he may have done it.

Hey, way to totally ignore the point.

Good job, Kiid!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:19 PM »

President Trump announced that he was giving the FBI free rein to investigate.

What he neglected to say was that they are free to investigate, but only what he permits them to:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

What are they hiding and why?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: September 30, 2018, 12:22:11 AM »

And why should he bother letting them investigate when, to the majority of his party, the outcome doesn't matter!

https://www.newsweek.com/sexual-assault-should-not-disqualify-kavanaugh-proven-majority-republicans-1141877

A majority of Republican Party members in a poll indicated that they do not believe that even if it were proven that he was guilty of sexual assault it should keep him from a seat on the Supreme Court.

All that complaining by folks about Secretary Clinton's calling half of Trump's supporters deplorables and it turns out that she was right the whole time.

Deplorable.

This is the same party that objected to sex between Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Why? Not on moral grounds, but on the grounds that he was a Democratic Party member who was president, so let us drag him down any way we can.

Same reason for endless hearings about Benghazi and emails, but none about Afghanistan, Puerto Rico, or the security problems in the Trump White House.

It is all for show and purely about politics. The same game playing that Kiid loves so much drives the GOP's pretense at morality. And the Evangelicals are eating it up. They love it. (The Catholics, OTOH, seem to have had their fill of this buffoon of a SCOTUS candidate.)

This is the same party in which 57% do not want to see a woman president in their lifetimes - is it any wonder that so many do not see sexual assault as an impediment to becoming a Supreme Court Justice?

And I wonder what banal comment or excuse Redd will come up with to pretend this is nothing.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: September 30, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »

President Trump announced that he was giving the FBI free rein to investigate.

What he neglected to say was that they are free to investigate, but only what he permits them to:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

What are they hiding and why?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:36:25 AM by josh »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: September 30, 2018, 01:47:29 AM »

I didn't know that Kavanaugh's initial fed judge nomination was held up for 3 years, as he was seen (by Dems) as too partisan.  Having been heavily involved with the Starr chamber and writing the Starr report.  (Kav also advised Starr to go after all the sexual details on Clinton/Lewinsky, which of course now turns against him).

I also wasn't aware that Kav married W's personal secretary.
Or that he was involved in the Elian Gonzales case (which was a big right-wing cause for a while).

Obviously the big problem is that the Dems lost the WH to Donald Trump of all people.  But the secondary problem is they never made a concerted case for the need to have a DEM senate.  That derailed Obama's presidency and is allowing Trump to largely do what he wants (fortunately he gets easily distracted and feuds with his own GOP senators at times). 

I really don't recall Hillary discussing the need for Dem senators and a Dem senate to get her agenda through.  I was calling for her to do so.  Using saving and expanding Obamacare as the primary reason.  But also keeping us out of wars (Iran, Syria), making sure companies pay their fair share of taxes, getting infrastructure investment (though Trump also pretended he'd do that), raising the minimum wage, improving job training and access to day care, etc.

For the Dems it always seems one election at a time, each individual candidate, with no overarching message or strategy.
As I've said before the Democrats should always say that they are the party of democracy, and support voter access and voter turnout.  Have all Dem candidates hammer at that.  Have grassroots initiatives to follow up on that.  Cook up some Bill of Voter rights (including ex-convicts can vote) as Gingrich would do).  All of which would counter GOP voter suppression efforts.

Say the Dems are the party of Health Care, health insurance, access to medical treatment.  With the goal of all Americans insured and therefore able to get medical treatment.  Dems want Americans healthy, safe, financially secure.

DEMS = the party of voting and health care.
They are already associated with abortion and social programs.
They should also be the party of middle class and unions.
They really allowed the GOP to undermine unions the past 30 years, which has hurt the Dems in fund-raising, manpower, messaging, in the Rust Belt states, with the shrinking middle class, etc.  Along with the pronounced Dem shift to being a corporate party reliant upon large corporate donations.

Obama kept the Midwest Dem because he saved the auto industry.  That won him Ohio.  But Dem support for NAFTA and China in the WTO and all manner of globalization left Rust Belt support weak, and Trump took advantage of the discontent.  DEms never pivoted to protect jobs that left for Mexico and China and the workers left behind.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: September 30, 2018, 02:20:48 AM »

My memory is different than yours.

While Clinton has taken care to mention fellow Democrats on the campaign trail — she usually starts her rallies by rattling off names of local officials, stealing glances at a list to make sure she doesn’t miss anyone — she recently started fusing her stump speeches with full-throated pitches for her party’s Senate candidates.

The decision represents a new facet of Clinton’s push for the White House as she tries to boost candidates like Murphy, who is attempting to unseat Republican Sen. Marco Rubio. She appears to be looking for ways to plow past the obstructionism that has plagued President Obama, starting with a return to Democratic control of the Senate, and shoring up a base of support on Capitol Hill by helping Democrats get elected.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:59 AM »

Hillary always mentioned the local candidates and local supporters.
She was very good about remembering names and giving brief shout-outs.  But it all seemed rather pro forma at local rallies.

I don't remember her making an issue of the need for a Dem Senate.  This could have bolstered her support.  I don't recall her explaining how this hampered Obama and reduced his effectiveness/impact.  (notice how the article you cite presumes she wants to get past O's troubles with a GOP senate, but doesn't say Clinton said such). 

I don't recall her saying that not only does she need to get elected, but she needs a Dem Senate behind her to get things done.
Maybe she did some of that at local rallies but if there was a national effort or she mentioned this in debates, in major interviews, etc, I certainly missed it.  At the time I was calling for her to do so.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: September 30, 2018, 03:04:14 AM »

she recently started fusing her stump speeches with full-throated pitches for her party’s Senate candidates.
...  The decision represents a new facet of Clinton’s push for the White House

That seems to be from an Oct. 28 LA Times article.
So she started pushing for a DEM senate slightly more than one week before the election.  When it's hard to get new messages through during crunch time, and just when Comey announced they'd look into Hillary's emails some more.   That's pretty much how I remember it.  She made a last minute (/week; weak?) push for a Dem Senate.  Which was barely noticed among the other stuff going on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:11:34 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: September 30, 2018, 10:45:23 AM »

Seems pretty clear that Kav downplayed much of his drinking and high school/college antics.  And I can't imagine anyone actually believing all of his innocent renderings of his high school yearbook entry.  He pretty much lied throughout his explanations of his yearbook entry.

It struck me that I know two people who were in the same Yale class of '87 as Kavanaugh.  One used to be a good friend of mine, who I haven't seen since grad school days.  Wonder if they knew him?

Have to say I was not familiar with the terms Devil's Triangle or boufing. And back in the early/mid-80's anal sex was still a fairly taboo subject, associated with gays and prisons, or famous people such as Marilyn Chambers and DH Lawrence.  Pretty sure the term Hershey Highway was in vogue then.  But anal sex was still a long ways off from going mainstream in the culture. 

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 4288