Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1655507 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Trump Administration
« Reply #50160 on: September 12, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »

This isn't a firsmet amendment laboratory. It's a small message board. I've got no issues with deleting posts and banning posters when it's clear the post or poster is a mere troll.

When did you firstmet?

Seriously, that's a fine point, but I was asking Kam a question, not taking a position per se.

I get the concept of people deciding that one is a troll, too, merely because they are not among the majority.

That is its only particular kind of bias.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50161 on: September 12, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »

YORK, Pa. — Former Vice President Joe Biden stopped at the Shanksville Volunteer Fire Company on Friday to pay his respects and to deliver on a promise he had made about eight years ago.

He came by the fire company on the anniversary of 9/11 after visiting the Flight 93 National Memorial nearby in Stonycreek Township, where he paid tribute to the 40 passengers and crew members who died when their plane crashed after a battle with terrorists. He did so after the mid-morning ceremony with dignitaries, including President Donald Trump, was complete and the gates to the park were open to the public.

He and his wife, Jill Biden, arrived at the fire hall in a black SUV at about 1:30 p.m. Jill Biden carried two boxes of doughnuts and a bundt cake wrapped in a red, white and blue ribbon for people at the station. Joe Biden brought out six-packs of beer.

He told the first responders on his last visit, in 2011, that he owed them a beer the next time he came to town.

“I keep my promises,” he said to the group around him — and joined in the laughter.

The Democratic presidential nominee did not discuss the campaign. Instead he discussed how first responders saved his life and how important they are to their local communities.

“I was impressed that he kept his promise about the beer,” said Jennifer Kimmel, of Jennerstown, who has family both in the fire department and in the area.

I liked that he talked about something that we can relate to in a small town,” she said. “What he said, it was from the heart.”

https://news.yahoo.com/bidens-bring-beer-baked-goods-211306373.html

Because he has a heart. Which is what the USA needs.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #50162 on: September 12, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »

I think we can all recognize a troll and trolling when we see it. You weren't here at the time, but there used to be a poster here who was usually a moderate or even liberal on racial issues, but whenever Larry would post something on racial matters that poster would respond in a way that would make tears of joy roll from David Duke's eyes. Now that was trolling.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #50163 on: September 12, 2020, 11:44:40 AM »

I'm a web admin,  so perhaps this might be of use.   The rule of thumb is that matters of opinion can be protected as free speech,  whereas practical information on making explosives,  3D printing weapons,  how to groom children for pedophilia, release of personal information on members,  etc is not protected because it threatens the rights and safety of others.   

However,  not ALL opinions may be protected,  especially on a private website (i.e. privately owned).  This board,  like many,  is subject to rules not unlike those encountered on entering a private residence.   IOW, you are expected to obey house rules, follow a certain etiquette, or you will be asked to leave.   Personal attacks,  even though they may be opinions,  may not be allowed.   And,  as in a private home or a club,  there may be other rules, such as requiring some support for statements presented as resting on fact.   

One common misunderstanding is when a member cries foul because they think their message board is a public platform,  like a soapbox in a public park or square.  B-but,
FREE SPEECH!
Then it has to be explained:  You are on a private website.   You are essentially a guest in someone's home.   You can't walk on our carpets in your muddy boots,  you are not completely free here.

Point being, if you value intelligent discourse more than the cacophony of the ranters in the park, then there have to be restrictions on your speech.   Otherwise everything is dominated by the loud and stupid.   C'est la vie.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50164 on: September 12, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »

I'm not sure if kid was implying he had an IQ of 150, but that Trump did.

Has Trump ever claimed an IQ of 150, or just that he was a " very stable genius"?

He may have downplayed his genuis.

And fwiw, since when had "downplay" been a substitute for "lieing his ass off"?

Lex Luthor's IQ is estimated to be 225... Batman's? 192...

So what you're saying is that Trump is not as smart as comic book characters.

I can see that.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50165 on: September 12, 2020, 11:55:35 AM »

I'm a web admin,  so perhaps this might be of use.   The rule of thumb is that matters of opinion can be protected as free speech,  whereas practical information on making explosives,  3D printing weapons,  how to groom children for pedophilia, release of personal information on members,  etc is not protected because it threatens the rights and safety of others.   

However,  not ALL opinions may be protected,  especially on a private website (i.e. privately owned).  This board,  like many,  is subject to rules not unlike those encountered on entering a private residence.   IOW, you are expected to obey house rules, follow a certain etiquette, or you will be asked to leave.   Personal attacks,  even though they may be opinions,  may not be allowed.   And,  as in a private home or a club,  there may be other rules, such as requiring some support for statements presented as resting on fact.   

One common misunderstanding is when a member cries foul because they think their message board is a public platform,  like a soapbox in a public park or square.  B-but,
FREE SPEECH!
Then it has to be explained:  You are on a private website.   You are essentially a guest in someone's home.   You can't walk on our carpets in your muddy boots,  you are not completely free here.

Point being, if you value intelligent discourse more than the cacophony of the ranters in the park, then there have to be restrictions on your speech.   Otherwise everything is dominated by the loud and stupid.   C'est la vie.

Bart-Thumbs up thingy on this, if I knew how to do a thumbs up thingy.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #50166 on: September 12, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »

FREE SPEECH!

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50167 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »

This isn't a firsmet amendment laboratory. It's a small message board. I've got no issues with deleting posts and banning posters when it's clear the post or poster is a mere troll.

I get the concept of people deciding that one is a troll, too, merely because they are not among the majority.

That's a concept, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

When a poster has declared that they post inflammatory things for the primary purpose of getting a rise out of other posters, that is trolling. We have had two people make that overt declaration in my time paying attention here. I believe both of them and they have demonstrated it repeatedly.

When a poster seldom, if ever, answers questions, while continually asking them and then offering "judgments" on others who do not answer their questions, that, too, is trolling.

There are other forms, as well.

Personal attacks or threats are not in my list for trolling. They have their own category.

And comments that suggest that others are due fewer rights than they themselves enjoy in the world are threats.

"Difference of opinion" is about whether Tampa Bay will win the Super Bowl this year or whether Joe Montana is the greatest quarterback.

"Poor people deserve what they get" is not a matter of opinion. "Jews are trying to take over the world" is not a matter of opinion. Etc.

These are matters of life and death.

And one can tell me that "that's your opinion, Josh," and I will tell you that I don't give a fuck whether you think that or not, in terms of how I manage this message board, to the very limited extent that I manage it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50169 on: September 12, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/10/trump-michigan-rally-auto-claims/5768672002/

"Trump makes wild claims about revitalizing auto industry at Michigan rally."

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #50170 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »

I'm not sure if kid was implying he had an IQ of 150, but that Trump did.

Has Trump ever claimed an IQ of 150, or just that he was a " very stable genius"?

He may have downplayed his genuis.

And fwiw, since when had "downplay" been a substitute for "lieing his ass off"?

Lex Luthor's IQ is estimated to be 225... Batman's? 192...Albert Einstein? Between 160 and 180.

Don't tell Trump.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #50171 on: September 12, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

Wait. It's Trump that you believe has a 150 IQ?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #50172 on: September 12, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/12/us/freedom-black-cooperative-toomsboro/index.html

"It's impossible to have anything exclusively Black because our families are integrated," says Scott. "We are an integrated, tolerant and diverse community even as Black people, so we don't intend for it to be exclusively Black, but we do intend for it to be pro Black in every way."

What could possibly go wrong?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #50173 on: September 12, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »

Wait. It's Trump that you believe has a 150 IQ?

I didnt say anyone does

I asked you if you did.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:34:34 PM by kiidcarter8 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #50174 on: September 12, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »

This isn't a first amendment laboratory.
 It's a small message board. I've got no issues with deleting posts and banning posters when it's clear the post or poster is a mere troll.
Under those thoughts YankGuy will be the only one left in here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:41:27 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 4288