Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1641679 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53520 on: October 16, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »

So you have no idea what super-precedent is? How did you achieve such renown? The kind of renown that allows you to boldly call a U. Of Chicago Law grad a "a constitutional idiot."

Fwiw, I graduated from there. 
A few corrections:

- it's called the U of C, which admittedly take some getting used to.

- you only have to take one constitutional law class 1st year which is mandatory for an accredited law school (it doesn't have to be 1st year, but that's become the standardized approach -- that 1st year has all the mandatory classes)
You get only a basic grounding in constitutional law.
If I had started one year later -- I initially deferred a year, but then changed back -- Obama would likely have been my constitutional law prof.

- the U of C Law School, like most top schools, fails nobody.  Once accepted, a law student can skate through pretty easily just by showing up to classes and doing some of the basic reading.  The school doesn't want its image hurt by having students fail out or receiving low grades.  So once in, you come out with a diploma, no matter how little you learned.  The grading system was 10-15% A's; 70-80% B's; 10-15% C's.  A "B" was the default grade.  If someone super-struggled, they might have a talk with them and suggest they withdraw or take a leave of absence -- possibly dangling a refund of the current semester as incentive -- but that's super-rare.

So really the trick is getting accepted.  You just need to be a good test taker who practices and learns the LSAT.  Have good college grades, in any major.  And it helps to have some kind of extra-curricular activity (play the sousaphone, etc) or somesuch (I had taught in Kenya for a year after college).  Since something like 10% or less get admitted, some luck plays a role as well, since most applicants are fairly similar in GPA, LSAT score and sousaphone ability.

I found that of my 165 strong class, roughly 10 were pretty damned smart folks.  For another 10-15 you wondered just how they got there, as they were decidedly below average.  The majority of the rest were upper-middle-class prep school jerks who were reasonably smart.  The odd thing is that most of the supersmart and the comparative dummies were the nicest people.  I never figured that out.

What's kind of crazy is I had a good friend who went to New York Law School (NYL).  It's a marginal law school, yet they actually grade ruthlessly and fail people out.  The theory seems to be that if you get A's and finish in the top 10% of their class, then you are highly qualified and can get a good law job.  The middle of the pack will become lawyers but never make much money at it.  And the bottom 20% should become janitors. 

Before I entered the process, I would have expected it to be the complete opposite.  That at the top law schools, lots of competition, you'd fight for good grades, danger of failing out if you couldn't cut it, etc.   And that at lower level law schools they would just take your money and everyone would skate through and graduate.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53521 on: October 16, 2020, 02:19:45 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53522 on: October 16, 2020, 02:43:23 AM »

Overturning Roe v Wade:

A number of different strategies can be employed.
I'm sure the ADF that Barrett has ties to and other right wing groups are already searching out cases and plaintiffs.  You appeal cases to the Supreme Court and let the justices select which case and method of undercutting Roe they prefer.

One, they can try finding a case that will allow the justices to just overturn Roe in one swoop. 

Two, a piecemeal approach where you chip away at Roe.
It should be easy to find a late 2nd trimester abortion where the fetus is viable and healthy.  Or a state passes a ban on 2nd trimester abortions in contravention of Roe.  Then the justices can easily say that Roe's medical understanding is out of date and limit abortions to only the first trimester.   A partial victory on the slow road to killing Roe.

Similarly a state that passes a fetal heartbeat law would allow Roe to be massively undercut.  Since a fetal heartbeat can be detected around 6 weeks, often before a woman even knows she is pregnant, allowing a ban on abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected would pretty much end abortion.  Such a case will almost certainly get to the Supreme Court and it's a matter of 4 justices thinking that there will be 5 votes to uphold such a law and bleed Roe out.  Amy will vote for a fetal heartbeat law.  So will Scalito and Thomas.  That's 3 that I would count on.  Not certain on Gorsuch and Kavanaugh who might prefer a different approach or a more go it slow exsaguination.

I think with religious cult Barrett as such a new justice, they'll bide their time for a year or two and then still take a piecemeal approach, first weakening Roe before killing it off within 3-5 years.

Those seem to me the most obvious approaches that religious right lawyers will use: disallowing 2nd trimester abortions which most on the right will see as too weak, a favorite would be getting a fetal heartbeat law upheld, and later overthrowing a badly weakened Roe entirely.

SCOTUS could also uphold various state laws designed to make abortion difficult to obtain.  Such as those laws requiring high level medical facilities at abortion clinics or doctors have to have admitting privileges at hospitals.  The new Amy SCt will be much more inclined to see these as neutral gov't attempts to ensure health and safety.

And states will undoubtedly push things further and pass more laws that restrict abortion access or contradict Roe, allowing for more case challenges.  Most of this is already ongoing.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53523 on: October 16, 2020, 03:01:04 AM »

https://lawschooli.com/law-school-dropout-rates/

NYL is on their list, with around the 30th highest dropout rate.  13.2%
I really feel bad for those who borrow a lot of money and start out at a crappy law school and fail to graduate.  So you're in big debt, your dreams shattered, and you need a new future.  Yikes.  Kind of like attending a Trump seminar or Trump U.

They completely reformulated the LSAT grading system over 20 years ago.
When I took the test, 48 was the maximum score.  With 46 essentially the top score that people actually got.

One scam is instead of taking just the 4 part LSAT (+ writing section), you have to take 6 parts, and two of these are experimental sections that don't count.  So you take 50% more test than necessary in order to help the test company do their job.  A bunch of crapola that.  I bet some of the difficult test sections have messed up some people's concentration and test scores.

The odd thing is lots of LSAT preppers would be willing to take practice tests free online that contain experimental test sections.  So there's no need to jerk around actual test takers and muck with the test taking process.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:12:43 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53524 on: October 16, 2020, 03:19:31 AM »

Trump wouldn’t say whether he had tested negative on the day of his first debate with Biden on Sept. 29, allowing only, “Possibly I did, possibly I didn’t.”

WTF?

Debate rules required that each candidate, using the honor system, had tested negative prior to the Cleveland event, but Trump spoke in circles when asked when he last tested negative.

Asshole.

"I believed that when I entered the White House grounds, that I had entered a safe zone, due to the testing that and I and many others underwent every day. I was wrong. I was wrong to not wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the President and the rest of the team," Christie said

"Every public official, regardless of party or position, should advocate for every American to wear a mask in public, appropriately socially distance and to wash your hands frequently every day," Christie said.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:49:49 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53525 on: October 16, 2020, 05:07:24 AM »

Just voted.  Or at least I mailed my ballot back to NJ.
The Trump China bashing and Virus response has led to China stopping and slowing down mail to the US.  No airmail packages for the time being.
Usually an airmail letter would take 1012 days to the East Coast, but they said it might be more like 17-20 days now.  And I'm just 18 days out.

One interesting thing is my ballot instructions and the NJ law says the ballot needs to be postmarked by election day, but it doesn't specify a US postmark.  So the China postmark it gets today should suffice.  In any case, my ballot should be in the US postal system and get stamped sometime before Nov 3.

The postal clerk wondered about the US return address that pops up in the little window provided, so I explained that it was my US ballot and she quickly responded that November 3 was the voting day. 

The only local race in my hometown is for the Board of Education, which is more important this year due to the Trumpdemic and choices between attending school and remote learning, and really community health and safety.

Researching the 13 candidates (choose 3), I learned the guy with the prime 1st line is a racist who has been video-ed telling Indians to go back to fuckin* India.  And in the next town over he waved a confederate flag at the only black councilman.  31 year old male with a Greek surname, committed to being an asshole.  Kind of sad to see Trump shenanigans invade my little overdeveloped suburban hometown.
Last Board of Ed election 3 years ago there were flyers calling for the deportation of a Chinese and an Indian board member, and decrying the horror of cricket fields.

Almost everyone is against taxes and in favor of reducing budget waste, so its not easy to tell the anti-tax GOPers from the good gov't types.  In high tax NJ, that's always an issue.

At least NJ will almost certainly vote to legalize Maryjane.  Christie kept a lid on medical marijuana for years, where it was legal but restricted.  A first step towards ending drug prohibition one hopes.

Other than that, I'd never even heard of the Republican running against Cory Book.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53526 on: October 16, 2020, 08:31:59 AM »

Another pre-print paper, this time released by WHO prior to publication:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.15.20209817v1.full.pdf

Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19 – interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results

From CNN's article about the study:
The WHO study reviewed remdesivir and three other repurposed drugs: hydroxychloroquine, the HIV combination of lopinavir and ritonavir and interferon. None of them helped patients live any longer or get out of the hospital any sooner, WHO said.

From the paper, to let you see the scale:
"In 405 hospitals in 30 countries 11,266 adults were randomized, with 2750 allocated Remdesivir, 954
Hydroxychloroquine, 1411 Lopinavir, 651 Interferon plus Lopinavir, 1412 only Interferon, and 4088 no study
drug."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53527 on: October 16, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »

BBC News did a whole anti-Remdesevir report last night - saying a study showed no positive effect - but then ended with "of course if the drug is given early on........"

Duh.

How do you do the study on patients far along with COVID, then come out wioth a statement that the drug is imeffective - when you know the key is (from what we have heard from many sources) likely to get the drug early stages of the disease?

Folks at work behind the lines to sully PR on these important treatments?  Sad.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53528 on: October 16, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »

Fool denying science, while pretending it's about politics:

Normal.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53529 on: October 16, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »

A couple factoids on media related to the campaign.

"ABC and NBC were asking for an average cost of $198,000 for a 30-second commercial during Thursday night’s town halls."

Not as much as the NFL, but in line with debate money. And money, nothing else, motivated NBC's decision.

Just when you think all that couldn’t get more controversial, here comes this news: Steve Scully, the C-SPAN political director, has been suspended after he admitted that he lied about his Twitter feed being hacked. Scully was supposed to moderate the second debate.

Why? Because he tweeted out to Scaramucci "should I respond" to being accused of being a "never-Trumper" by the president." He claimed he was hacked to deflect criticism.

A well-earned suspension.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53530 on: October 16, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53531 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »

Separately:
"At the end of Trump's town hall, the NBC News YouTube channel showed 153,660 viewers were watching. ABC News's YouTube channel showed 507,445 viewers at the end of Biden's town hall."

barton

« Reply #53532 on: October 16, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »

I was reassured by Trump's bold and humanitarian stand against pedophilia.   

I thought the GOP comparison of Biden to Mister Rogers was spot on -- somehow,  they don't get that's a plus.   Please,  GOP, keep comparing Joe to a man of impeccable character,  compassion,  intelligence and moral insight whose had one of the longest running shows in tv history!   

barton

« Reply #53533 on: October 16, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »

BBC News did a whole anti-Remdesevir report last night - saying a study showed no positive effect - but then ended with "of course if the drug is given early on........"

Do you have a link so that other forumites may judge for themselves if your take is accurate?   

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #53534 on: October 16, 2020, 09:57:52 AM »

Hey Bo some time ago  I was referred to a Rutgers graduate who was an absolute idiot. Could not believe he passed the law boards. The  opposition attorney seemed to control him. Stated so to her associate in private. I managed to have him sanctioned later but lost my easy to win federal case. He refused to question the qualifications of an opposition witness and refused to allow my witnesses to testify. Friendship is golden seems to have been his theme.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.
Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 4288