Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2601 2602 [2603] 2604 2605 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1640015 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39030 on: June 19, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »

Not wanting anarchy is not wanting fascism.

Not necessarily.

But given your constant drumbeat of how one has to obey the authorities and not challenge them, it's a good fit.

Obey the laws of the land.
Wanna change them, do so legally.

That's what I said. Fascist.

When "legally" is controlled by the folks who don't want that change, to say "do it legally" is to say "do not do it at all."

If laws are corrupt, the only ethical thing to do is to break them, Bambi, but I don't expect you to get that, let alone accept it. We have a defense used but rarely in this realm called the Necessity Defense in which one argues that one must break the law because there is a greater evil being committed.

By that standard, almost any law can be broken, under the law.

What would be an example of one law that could be argued successfully in court where that 'Necessity Defense'' might apply?
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39031 on: June 19, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »

It has scheduled three presidential debates: Sept. 29 at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, Oct. 15 at the University of Michigan, and Oct. 22 at Belmont University in Nashville. A vice presidential debate will be held Oct. 7 at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

Trump puts Rudy in charge of trying to get a 4th debate.

Biden's people might just want to say that debates are dangerous due to Trump's inept mishandling of the virus.  And that they aren't necessary because it's clear that Trump is the worst president ever and needs to be removed.  last year, Trump threatened to skip all debates.  Now that he's losing he wants more.  We feel no need to debate Donald Trump, etc.

Trump knows he’s losing and is flailing.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #39032 on: June 19, 2020, 09:59:53 AM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/republican-governor-nebraska-pete-ricketts-federal-relief-funds-cities-2020-6?fbclid=IwAR1TzZchBsY6vsP-YE-GQgiSutxDkNE1Y2MtpdjKZmep5BYHeCzoN1C3d3w

He's threatening to not release federal COVID money to cities/towns that mandate masks.

What a clown.

My kids,  who live in the cornhusker state,  have been suffering from Ricketts for a while.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39033 on: June 19, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »

Birtherism was a statement of values, a way to express allegiance to a particular notion of American identity, one that became the central theme of the Trump campaign itself: To Make America Great Again, to turn back the clock to an era where white political and cultural hegemony was unthreatened by black people, by immigrants, by people of a different faith. By people like Barack Obama. The calls to disavow birtherism missed the point: Trump’s entire campaign was birtherism.

Trump won the Republican primary, and united the party, in part because his run was focused on the psychic wound of the first black presidency.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/birtherism-and-trump/610978/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39034 on: June 19, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »

Bambi doesn't seem to understand that protesting is a legal (and effective) way to get laws changed.

Burning down America is legal?

Arson and looting are not legal methods of protest and the perps are being identified and arrested. 

Most protesters have been exercising their constitutional rights in a lawful manner.

Much of what you say is stupid and uninformed.  Try to do better
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39035 on: June 19, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »

Bambi doesn't seem to understand that protesting is a legal (and effective) way to get laws changed.

Burning down America is legal?

Arson and looting are not legal methods of protest and the perps are being identified and arrested. 

Most protesters have been exercising their constitutional rights in a lawful manner.

Much of what you say is stupid and uninformed.  Try to do better
Maybe reducing the stupid and uninformed from "All" to "Much" is the best he can do.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39037 on: June 19, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »

My bad for not opening with this -

Happy Juneteenth, all.

Let's have it be a safe one.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Reverse Midas Touch
« Reply #39038 on: June 19, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »

Nobody is a bigger asshole than Trump

Trump says some Americans wear coronavirus masks ‘to signal disapproval of him’

Fucker thinks it's all about him.
Fortunately for this next election it is ...

Trump really has been flailing and turning everything he touches into merde.

Have to believe most Americans realize this Tulsa rally is totally ill-conceived and dangerous.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39039 on: June 19, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »

My bad for not opening with this -

Happy Juneteenth, all.

Let's have it be a safe one.

Yeah, sure...

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1273972301156016130?s=21

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #39040 on: June 19, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »

Ooooooo klahoma, where the wind is spreading CV strain,
And the waitin crowd can sure sound loud
but their guy is goin down the drain

Oooooo klahoma, tonight my honey lamb and I
sit alone and drink and try not to think bout all of Donald's fuckin' lies

You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!

if you don't breathe, OK

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:11:40 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39042 on: June 19, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »

Not wanting anarchy is not wanting fascism.

Not necessarily.

But given your constant drumbeat of how one has to obey the authorities and not challenge them, it's a good fit.

Obey the laws of the land.
Wanna change them, do so legally.

That's what I said. Fascist.

When "legally" is controlled by the folks who don't want that change, to say "do it legally" is to say "do not do it at all."

If laws are corrupt, the only ethical thing to do is to break them, Bambi, but I don't expect you to get that, let alone accept it. We have a defense used but rarely in this realm called the Necessity Defense in which one argues that one must break the law because there is a greater evil being committed.

By that standard, almost any law can be broken, under the law.

What would be an example of one law that could be argued successfully in court where that 'Necessity Defense'' might apply?

I'll give you two:
Breaking and entering a college campus. That was to block a CIA recruitment effort.
Criminal trespass. That was to block construction of a pipeline.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Reverse Midas Touch
« Reply #39043 on: June 19, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »

Nobody is a bigger asshole than Trump

Trump says some Americans wear coronavirus masks ‘to signal disapproval of him’

Fucker thinks it's all about him.
Fortunately for this next election it is ...

Trump really has been flailing and turning everything he touches into merde.

Have to believe most Americans realize this Tulsa rally is totally ill-conceived and dangerous.

Ill-conceived and dangerous, but a rally in the middle of a COVID spike very well could be part of the plan, not incidental.

I don't know what the conditions will be in November, but with the trend line going up in COVID cases and a Federal Government doing nothing about it, not hard to think that COVID transmission will still be a threat.

If that is the projection, is Trump unaware of the political advantage of having followers that will show up at polling places despite the danger in order to show their loyalty to dear leader, while Biden's people send in their votes by mail (where vote-by-mail isn't suppressed?)  I doubt it.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #39044 on: June 19, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »

Birtherism was a statement of values, a way to express allegiance to a particular notion of American identity, one that became the central theme of the Trump campaign itself: To Make America Great Again, to turn back the clock to an era where white political and cultural hegemony was unthreatened by black people, by immigrants, by people of a different faith. By people like Barack Obama. The calls to disavow birtherism missed the point: Trump’s entire campaign was birtherism.

Trump won the Republican primary, and united the party, in part because his run was focused on the psychic wound of the first black presidency.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/birtherism-and-trump/610978/

Excellent piece on how the conservative media latches onto someone's fantasy and then truthifies it by endless repetition.  It's scary how well that psychological technique works.  On adults.  Or what you might once have thought were adults.

Pages: 1 ... 2601 2602 [2603] 2604 2605 ... 4288