Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 909440 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #10545 on: January 24, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »

Dame wanted 50.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: Dallas
« Reply #10546 on: January 24, 2020, 01:45:38 AM »

Dallas didn’t get lucky with Luca. They just knew what they were doing. Doncic had been winning everything for Real Madrid for the last 3 years before he entered the draft, as I posted here repeatedly, though we didn’t have a shot at him, and Knicks probably didn’t know it anyway.

Atlanta really messed up 😳

Folks were afraid to pub the white guy as #1 overall.

Not sure ATL was as good a fit for Doncic

I think you’re the only one around here who thinks about basketball in racial terms.

Luca is a good fit on ANY team.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: January 24, 2020, 02:36:08 AM »

No Frank's misses really aren't harmful.  He's a great kid too.   
On another note, all the yoga we must all be doing to have our backs be able to bend this way is crazy, huh?

You have to look at possessions.  In the Lake game, Franc went 0-8, but of his first 5 misses (I only saw/recall 6 of his FG's -- didn't see the 4Q), Knix got the 0-board twice and twice more tipped the ball once or twice and almost resumed possession.

Sometimes a missed shot is like a pass, if you draw a double team, miss a short shot and the unguarded teammate cleans it right up.  That would be a quality miss, a quality possession.  I believe somebody called those Kobe Assists. 

The opposite of that is when you take a terrible shot that leads to your opponents getting an easy fast break bucket.  Like say, Randle launching a contested 3 with LeBJ tattooed on him, the straight-on 3 clanking the backboard first then the rim then landing in Brow's hands and shortly thereafter LBJ's for an easy dunk, as he leaked out immediately after the contest, knowing it was a shit shot.

Unless I have an easy open shot, I'm always cognizant of whether there's a teammate underneath who can rebound.  And some games even when I'm missing 3's, I'll keep shooting them if my guys are getting the rebound (and especially if boarding and scoring).  It's the possessions that matter.

4 of Franc's first 5 misses were almost continued Knick possessions, two were.  It's not like Franc super-compromised the D, but we have good rebounders and guys were down low in position to fight for the carom.  So those turned out to be pretty good possessions despite the Franc misses.  Hell, maybe the Lakes Bigs just weren't expecting Franc to shoot so much.  But we had chances to get a 2nd shot, which is good.

I should add all 5 of those were reasonable shots that didn't go in.
If I'm Frankity-Franc and I miss 5 in a row, but the Knix keep two of those possessions alive, and almost corral two more misses, I'm feeling fine about those possessions and willing to shoot more.  It's a team game.  And if you're teammates can clean up your misses, those are solid possessions.

I didn't go back and analyze the Franc misses to see why we were contesting those rebounds so well.  But we were, and it's possessions that count not shooting % or who's putting the ball int he basket (or how) .  I found Julius' 0-4 on 3's more troubling than Franc's 0-8 FG, because of the context and use of possession.  Lakes did a good job of bottling up Julius, leading to turnovers and a number of last-second passes after he went up in the air or made a spin move to nowhere.

Jr. Smith came in and lost his man on his first defensive assignment, then after a few passes got to his guy and got blown past.  Yikes.  Two different defensive miscues on his very first play.

We need to trade for Alex Caruso, so we can run Robinson-Caruso PnR's ...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:59:38 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: January 24, 2020, 03:15:04 AM »

The Lakers will never give up their “real” all-star.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m ready to see how Tony Wooten fares in an NBA game.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: January 24, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »

Dallas didn’t get lucky with Luca. They just knew what they were doing. Doncic had been winning everything for Real Madrid for the last 3 years before he entered the draft, as I posted here repeatedly, though we didn’t have a shot at him, and Knicks probably didn’t know it anyway.

Folks were afraid to pub the white guy as #1 overall.

Not sure ATL was as good a fit for Doncic
Which "folks"? I want names!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: January 24, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »

Ah, you know how it always goes, darkies keeping the white man down.  Same ol', same ol'.

I think the glamour has long gone off the #1 overall pick, with so many busts and mediocrities getting tabbed.

There were genuine concerns about how Doncic's game would translate to the NBA.  Not to mention his conditioning and the vast amount of slop in his repertoire.  Even while taking the NBofA by storm, he could still use to tighten up his game and get rid of some of the over-razzle.

Ayton of course is a physical specimen and could become a beast on both ends.  A redraft I assume would have Luka first, but most teams would love to Ayton.

I declared Mo Bamba the most likely Top 10 bust of that draft and so far that's holding.  I thanked ORL at the time for pushing a player down into our range.  The jury is still out on Knox and the Twin Bridges, but Shai Guy is the one we let get away. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:14:29 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: January 24, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »

Hmmm no Sacramento with Vlade and Phoenix with Kokoskov were in position to draft Luka and knew him well.

Dallas got lucky they didn't take him.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »

As bo only credits Frank for his good misses i feel compelled to point out that Frank didn't get his own rebound.   So Frank is also a great teammate.  Helping his teammates pad their O-board stats.   So stop criticizing Frank!  He's making those around him better ...  rebounders!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: January 24, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

I try to be objective on Franc.  When he's bad, like the recent PHI game, I noted that.  And I keep pointing out his weak telegraphed passes, his penchant for giving up the ball 30+ feet out, and that he has a lot to work on.  His defense is sometimes oversold, but he has a knack for D and gives good effort.  So you can see the outlines of a very good defender.

He was aggressive v. LAL and his misses weren't as harmful as 0-8 suggests, that's all.  Not a good game, but not a disaster either.

Franc's our pup, and I hope we keep at least one of Franc/Knox long term and get to see them develop.  I'd prefer both.  But I wouldn't object to either being included in a trade.

As for Jr. Smith, I don't even have an opinion,  I've hardly seen him play, and when I have he's mostly been devoid of mojo.  A real enigma.  He has little trade value, so we might as well see if we can't fix him.  We're still paying Fizz, so send him to Fizz's house and see what transpires.  (really, I'd send him to the Gatorade Circuit).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:23:36 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: January 24, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

When we took Tim Jr. #24, the next pick was Reg Bullox. 
two slots after him was Rudy GoBear.

I was on the fence about Trae Young making the all-star team, but definitely feel he's not worthy of starting.  He's terrible on D.  His vaunted 3's go in at a slightly below average 34.5%.  Tons of turnovers.  Yeah, he's exciting, and he has range and passing vision.   He'll improve.  But he's not a starting all-star this year (except he is).

Zach Lowe has some thoughts on the Knix.  Which makes me think he doesn't see the Knix much.  He only looks at NYK Bigs and somehow concludes Randle should play C some, despite tossing out stats showing Randle is a poor interior defender. 

He also thinks Mitch should start at C, seemingly unaware that Mitch is back to foulathon basketball and is having trouble making dunks these days.  Teams have sort of figured out Mitch and he needs to make the next adjustment.  Taj has settled into a nice groove, and only play 15 mins +/- 5 depending on Mitch's play.
He also notes that Mitch/Randle pairing has been poor, but that's what you get if Mitch starts.  As is, they are largely staggered.

As one of the original squatters on Julius Randle Hill, I must note that Randle should spend the second half of the season reorienting his game toward winning -- instead of chasing iso-tastic buckets and ramming into walls of defenders.

He has to pass more, and earlier, and prove he can defend one frontcourt position. He might have a better chance at center, despite size issues. He has shown the ability to switch and provide some rim protection when he really tries.

His lack of feel can be exposed more when he's guarding stretch power forwards

Not a big endorsement to want him to defend C's merely because he's bad at defending PF's.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: January 24, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

Randle quibblers

I would like for you to post when you see him make an excellent offensive play

It's interesting that for a team that has long lacked guys getting to the basket now criticizes Randle for it.  While often lauding Barrett for the same.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
We are best when we play
« Reply #10556 on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »

Portis at C
Randle at PF
Morris at SF

with Barrett and Payton

Any other lineup you trot out will be worse offensively.
Maybe better defensive lineups out there, but if you want to score you play Portis and reap the rewards of spacing.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: January 24, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »

Hell, I even posted last week when Randle made a couple of good 4Q defensive plays.

Ain't quibbles, Randle has flaws.
Turnovers, one-positionality, poor defense, his 3's are clanky.
He also doesn't seem to exude leadership, etc.  And there is also the question of pairing with Mitch.

Julius is a throwback.  A bullish scoring PF.  But with limited versatility. He's not multi-positional, not switchable, doesn't protect the rim, isn't stretching the floor.  Therefore not the easiest guy to build around. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »

Monk lighting up Paris
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: January 24, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »