Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 917454 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Who Knows?
« Reply #11940 on: May 05, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »

But it used to frustrate me to see the Knicks push the ball up court and then launch a trey with 12-16 seconds remaining on the shot clock, without even the pretense of making a few passes and, PERHAPS, manufacturing an easier shot attempts.

It's today's NBA.  Get open looks from 3 - and over time - that generates the most points.

Why?  When you can post up a guy who shoots it at 60%?  Well.....

1 - when he cant get his shot you end up instead with a shitty one - or a turnover

2 - you don't get as many second chance looks.  3s yield more offensive boards.

All true.

Save that we often had Randle and RJ launching, let alone Peyton and Frank...

Bullock and Knox and Dotson and Portis probably our best 3-point shooters, and all a little streaky. 

Also, missed threes, long rebounds and a scramble to get back on defense. 

Brazdeikis has the range, and hope he gets an opportunity to launch a few if and when we ever get back to hoops. 

As for Halibuton if we move up in the pecking order? 

Good question. 

I suspect given Knicks karma that it's still going to come down to Anthony/Haliburton.  I like the latter, but am inured to the former. 

If we move up? 

One of the bigs, or perhaps a Euro. 

No one jumps out for me, though Ball and Edwards do seem to have upside.

Again, Fran Fraschila was of the opinion that we should not reach, but take the best player....period.

Haliburton is on my radar because of his size, his stroke and [supposedly] better defensive chops. 

Fraschila is not wrong, but we desperately need someone at the point who can command the attention of the defense, penetrate and hit the trey. 

Ball's instincts as a rudder are one thing...Haliburton and Anthony's scoring prowess recommends them. 

Kind of a dicey draft.

Suspect something with upside could be waiting for us with the Clippers' pick.  And Charlotte's second rounder as well. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:35:21 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Slim Pickens
« Reply #11941 on: May 05, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »

Traded Picks

2020 second-round pick: A 2015 draft-day trade sent New York’s 2020 second-round pick away for the rights to Willy Hernangomez. Involvement in other trades now has it to either Philadelphia or the Charlotte Hornets.

2021 second-round pick: To close Phil Jackson‘s liberal movement of second-rounders, he sent the 2021 pick in the same Hernangomez trade. So the Knicks do not have their own second-round choice until 2022.

Acquired Picks

2020 second-round pick: The 2018 Willy Hernangomez trade netted two second-round picks from the Charlotte Hornets. This is the first of them.

2021 first-round pick: Via the Kristaps Porzingis trade, the Knicks will receive the Dallas Mavericks’ unprotected 2021 first-round pick.

2021 second-round pick: This is the other second-round pick the Knicks will acquire from Charlotte in the Hernangomez deal.

2023 first-round pick: The other first-round pick from the Porzingis deal, it will convey four years after Atlanta receives Dallas’ first-round pick. It has protections of 1-10 in 2023, 2024 and 2025. If this pick does not belong to New York by 2025, it will become Dallas’ second-round pick that same year.

PS: We have the Clippers #2 [conveyed from Detroit] in 2021 from the Morris/Harkless Deal. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:42:29 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11942 on: May 05, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

Knix were 27th in 3-Pt%.

And I suspect if you took out MaMo's shooting (as we did at the trade deadline), the Knix would be dead last.

Those early 3's are ugly.  And the team never gets into an offensive flow.  We didn't have knock down guys you wanted taking them.  I tend to think of them as Portis Specials.  But Randle, Knox and others would do it as well.

Knix were also the worst FT shooting team, by quite some margin.  29th FT shooting team was 3.5% better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:46:23 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: May 05, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »

Haliburton at 6.  OK.  I will keep an open mind.

Are you taking Haliburton if we get lucky and move up to 4?

How about 3?

If there's an opportunity to trade down, still get your target, and acquire more assets then by all means do that.   
This isn't a draft with a clear cut Top 3 thus by picking in the top3 you may be reaching on whoever you pick.
Have to hope to find a team that will dance with you.  That's the hard part.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: May 05, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »

Knix were also the worst FT shooting team, by quite some margin.  29th FT shooting team was 3.5% better.

The most frustrating aspect to Ntilikina's game is that he is a very good FT shooter who can't get to the line because he attacks the rim so infrequently.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: May 05, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »

I'd vote for picking up his dribble 30 feet out.  He's cut down on those telegraphed  passes which would often get stolen, and were always ugly.  Third would be letting Randle bring the ball upcourt.  His paucity of FTA's is pretty far down the list really.

And I consider myself a mild Franc supporter ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Randle
« Reply #11946 on: May 05, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »

If we are sticking with Randle I think its a poor use of your primary team building tool (the lottery pick) to draft a PF.    Granted i believe it's very hard to build a team around a low-post PF who turns it over and doesn't like to stretch the floor very often.  So i'd be behind drafting a PF if we had a plan to move Randle.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: May 05, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »

I'd vote for picking up his dribble 30 feet out.

That's not far from what i wrote. If he attacked more it would be because he wasn't giving the ball up near halfcourt.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »

That's not far from what i wrote. If he attacked more it would be because he wasn't giving the ball up near halfcourt.

Frank was beginning to get it the last few games, getting to the FT line. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: May 05, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »

Frank was beginning to get it the last few games, getting to the FT line.

Saw that too.

I’m warming up to the idea of a Frank RJ Paul perimeter unit for the next few years with Mitch at anchor and seeing who else we can develop.

A deep team has 3-4 guards, 2 wings, 2 swings, and 2-3 centers you feel good about playing.

We’re not set at any of that, so BPA sounds good to me.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »

It's all about what Paul would cost.  I love the thought of Paul for 1-2 years mentoring and leading. But if the cost is anything more than a 2nd rd pick i'm not interested in the deal.  We should be getting picks if anything to take on that contract.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »

Ludicrous to think you aren't giving for Paul.  Doesn't matter the contract - he's a unique asset.

Go ahead - pass.  We hear you.  You don't need to keep reposting it.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Randle
« Reply #11952 on: May 05, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »

If we are sticking with Randle I think its a poor use of your primary team building tool (the lottery pick) to draft a PF.    Granted i believe it's very hard to build a team around a low-post PF who turns it over and doesn't like to stretch the floor very often.  So i'd be behind drafting a PF if we had a plan to move Randle.

Most lottery picks these days are not one position guys.

Cant play Toppin with Randle?  Sez who?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: May 05, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »

Haliburton at 6.  OK.  I will keep an open mind.

Are you taking Haliburton if we get lucky and move up to 4?

How about 3?

If there's an opportunity to trade down, still get your target, and acquire more assets then by all means do that.   
This isn't a draft with a clear cut Top 3 thus by picking in the top3 you may be reaching on whoever you pick.
Have to hope to find a team that will dance with you.  That's the hard part.

Why do you quote a question I addressed to someone else - and not even answer it?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: May 05, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »

Re:  moving up

I agree it will be tough moving into the top 3-4.... though I gave 2 good examples.

If not using the second #1 to move up from 6 -

Moving up from 27 may be key.  Maybe get into that 18-20 range.  Plenty to move up for there.  Just waiting and taking the leftovers isnt making the most of that #27.

#27 and a future 1?
#27 and a player
#27 and take on a "bad" contract to move a few slots.....

etc
etc
etc

So many options

Your guy Bey may be a decent target in that range should we move up.  But so many other interesting names.

I had it wrong previously - we actually pick just AFTER, not before Boston.  Sickens me to think they take a guy I like - and Knicks liked - with #26.

Glad we have something to talk about anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1848