Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 914958 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
WE Deserve A Break Today
« Reply #12180 on: May 28, 2020, 01:36:18 AM »

lol...gotta agree with Kam here 100%...you don't put 400 people at risk if it's not safe for 800. And for an org like the NBA, there is absolutely no logistical difference between 400 and 800, this ain't the Yonkers boy scout troop.

Are uberathletic 20-30 somethings dropping in droves from this virus?  I must have missed it.

Wow

When they were passing out empathy and horse sense, you must have missed the lunch bell, but clearly went back for second helpings of alt-right uber alles conspiracy burgers with a side of Limbaugh Special Sauce. 

I seem to remember an uber athletic 20-something fellow the name of Ernie Davis, who was supposed to team in a dream Syracuse backfield with Jim Brown, succumbing to a virulent cancer back in my boyhood. 

And yes, many uber healthy young people have died of CV-19.  I've even known a few. 

Christ. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:41:05 AM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #12181 on: May 28, 2020, 03:16:33 AM »

lol...gotta agree with Kam here 100%...you don't put 400 people at risk if it's not safe for 800. And for an org like the NBA, there is absolutely no logistical difference between 400 and 800, this ain't the Yonkers boy scout troop.

It's the amount of risk.  You take sensible measures to reduce the risk.  By doubling the NBA population to perhaps 800, you are obviously increasing the risk over having 400 players.  You make it safer for 400, by not having 800 people.  Common sense.

I'd mitigate the perceived acceptable risk by: 1) reducing the field to 16 teams instead of 30, nearly halving the participants; having teams play only series, so there is limited mixing of teams as there would be in a restarted reg season; and reducing teams to 12 players, thus dropping 90 50 unnecessary players.

Some of the logistics will be separating teams from each other off court as much as possible, which will be easier with 16 rather than 30 teams.   Some risk is inherent, risk reduction and mitigation is the goal.  Sensible limitations and restrictions.  Cautious is best.  Though now there's talk of teams being able to bring wives and children.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:58:14 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: WE Deserve A Break Today
« Reply #12182 on: May 28, 2020, 03:57:40 AM »

Are uberathletic 20-30 somethings dropping in droves from this virus?  I must have missed it.

Dumb on many levels.  Early on there was a lot of concern for elderly coaches and announcers and statisticians et al.  Plus there are other support staff.

But you don't want to put your employees at risk, whether they are $10M athletic marvels or lockerroom attendants.  You certainly don't want a big outbreak among NBA players, which would be a PR nightmare, but also dissolve a lot of trust between the NBA execs and the players.  But even asymptomatic players going back to the community and infecting friends, family, community would be terrible. 

Also, the virus has badly harmed or killed some young athletic folks.  Early on there was a high school football player in TX who died.  But often we focus too much on deaths.  Some will have lifelong health issues from the virus, while others will have a miserable and scary few weeks.  They count too.

Also, some NBA players have underlying health issues such as enlarged hearts or connective tissue disorders.  Tauriaf and Jeff Green both had to have open heart surgery for aortic aneurysms; Bosh had to retire due to dangerous thrombosis; a few young guys such as Reg Lewis dropped from heart attacks.  NBA players aren't supermen, and even their bodies can succumb to pneumonia or other pernicious effects of the C-19 virus.  But again, not just them, but family and friends and their grandmamas.  (unless they're going to be quarantined for 2 weeks when their playoffs end -- which I think is unlikely).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: May 28, 2020, 04:50:13 AM »

Kiid would totally send your kids dancing across minefields for his entertainment.

He’s bought into the human stock capital paradigm for thinking about people not himself for decades.

If they do it at all, they should keep it to no more than 16 teams.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: May 28, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

Why is 16 teams/400 players the magic # that would appease your need for safety?  You should want fewer teams/players if the goal is to limit transmission.   Like 8 teams. Or 4 teams. Heck, 2 teams.   16 teams just makes it "a better minefield".  You think you're doing something but you're feeding into a false sense of security. 

The NBA is thinking differently on this one.  Otherwise they would just cancel the season and punt on all playoffs.  I personally would be OK with that.  Just call it off TODAY and start planning for NEXT season.  But the NBA seems to think "we aren't going to EVER go back to how things were... so move forward in this new normal"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:44:50 AM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: May 28, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »

Why is 16 teams/400 players the magic # that would appease your need for safety?

My need?  Weird.

16 teams/400 people is still a fairly large number.
Hopefully they could figure out how to make that reasonably safe.

16 teams allows you to complete a full slate of playoffs. 
And again series are safer than lots of mixed games.

And there's my other idea of having teams currently ranked from 13-28 play-in for the final 4 playoff spots.  A 16 team tourney in place of the rest of the reg season, in which 4 teams get playoff spots.  1st round can be best of 3, best of 5 after that.
Again just 16/400, only series, etc. 

Take a week (quarantine) break and then start the 16 team playoffs.

Obviously if they don't feel that 16/400 (my made up number of total people) is not safe enough and not viable, then they need to look into 12 or 8 teams.  Below 8 seems unlikely/disappointing.

I think the basic idea for now is to have playoffs that are as close to normal as possible.  So I'd either go right to playoffs now as is.  Or go with my 16 teams play-in in lieu of the reg season.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: May 28, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »

There's a 20-team tourney idea floating around.  The top 16 teams + the next four currently out of the action.  Ditching the bottom 10 teams.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-could-resume-group-190042421.html

Some talk Thibs is the Knix top choice, with Miller and Atkinson in the mix.
https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-thibodeau-is-reportedly-knicks-top-choice-for-next-head-coach-to-be-steamrolled-by-james-dolan-193500567.html

If accurate, I think that's pretty very reasonable.  All 3 were Knick assistants, so know NY and Dolan.  Thibs a hard-ass who preaches D and short rotations.  Atkinson a development coach, good with young guys and rebuilding.  Miller the current coach who knows the current players.

I'd go Atkinson; Thibs; Miller.
But fine with any of them.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
common sense
« Reply #12187 on: May 28, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »

If it's too dangerous for 800, it's too dangerous for 400.
To the NBA that's like the difference between a bag of chips and a bag of pretzels.

Saying otherwise, makes no sense.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »

400 is safer than 800.

It's not whether it's too dangerous.
It's the level of risk.  Which you try to mitigate.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Coaches
« Reply #12189 on: May 28, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »

There's a 20-team tourney idea floating around.  The top 16 teams + the next four currently out of the action.  Ditching the bottom 10 teams.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-could-resume-group-190042421.html

Some talk Thibs is the Knix top choice, with Miller and Atkinson in the mix.
https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-thibodeau-is-reportedly-knicks-top-choice-for-next-head-coach-to-be-steamrolled-by-james-dolan-193500567.html

If accurate, I think that's pretty very reasonable.  All 3 were Knick assistants, so know NY and Dolan.  Thibs a hard-ass who preaches D and short rotations.  Atkinson a development coach, good with young guys and rebuilding.  Miller the current coach who knows the current players.

I'd go Atkinson; Thibs; Miller.
But fine with any of them.

I’d go Miller, Atkinson and NO THIBS. Don’t like short rotations as a principle, ONLY when you need them.

MILLER! He earned it.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: May 28, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »

OK lets do the numbers.  15-20 guys per team bench. Another 15 bodies amongst various referees, official timekeepers, statisticians, radio and tv commentary for each squad.  Another 5 camera guys.  You're looking at around 50-60 bodies in the gym to hold a game.

If you are willing to commit to those bodies and play games, then play them and make it fair so that teams can warm up for playoffs/finish up playoff seeding and play the playoffs.

If that sounds like too much risk... DON'T DO ANY OF IT.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: May 28, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »

Its not like 400 players is all there is.  You can't use the same refs for every game.  Can't make the same 5 camera guys do every game.  There's probably another pool of 200 ancillary bodies who don't ever log a statistic that are needed to make it work as NBA entertainment.  So your 400 number is already out the window.  400 players still means another (just a guess) 200+ bodies as overhead.

And forget kiid's comment about athletes in their prime.  All it takes is for one color commentary guy or one towel handler/gatorade bringer to get sick and the whole enterprise is cast into risk. 

How's the saying go?  In for a dime, in for a dollar..  I don't think they plan to put things on hold if and when someone tests positive. I think they'll keep playing through it since they will have no other choice.  People will get sick.  Those people will be quarantined, but the show will go on.

That's why i personally think it's dumb and whoever wins may have an asterisk by their title anyway ... let's say the Bucks beat the Lakers because LeBron is quarantined.   It's bound to be criticized.   

But the alternative is waiting for a lot longer and with the money involved no one involved seriously wants to wait either. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: May 28, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »

I’d go Miller, Atkinson and NO THIBS.

heh

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: May 28, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »

And forget kiid's comment about athletes in their prime.  All it takes is for one color commentary guy or one towel handler/gatorade bringer to get sick and the whole enterprise is cast into risk.

READ THE PLAN.

No.  One player/camera guy/ broadcaster, referee testing positive will NOT shut down the enterprise.

What is at issue is that some teams may be LESSENED competitively if a star were out.  I guess its best to just liken it to any injury when discussing what ifs.

Please - dont piss on the party.  If the NBA games are coming, try to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:31:26 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: May 28, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »

I dont like the idea of 'ditching' any teams

12 games is a good enough run where a player getting minutes could open eyes for a new contract/more playing time, etc

And there are statistical equivalents to think of.  Each team should have the opportunity at equal games/equal stat sheets - and tankers need their games as well

Come on - who will be the first to post Knicks NEED to lose all 12?
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1848