Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1852

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1074920 times)

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia time
« Reply #18195 on: April 16, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »

There have been 4 players to score 1500 points, grab 500 rebounds, and hand out 250 assists in their first 100 starts before their 21st birthday.

LeBron
Carmelo
Luka

Name the 4th?

r

j

b

He really wanted to say
j
m
m
r
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #18196 on: April 16, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

Not sure how kiid goes through life not understanding context.  Charitably I'd say he just rushes through resulting in misunderstanding, but it's also possible he just is incapable of comprehending much of the information he encounters.

As for ACL injuries, that linked article simply talks about the general population.  Merely states that basketball and other change of direction sports are ACL
injury risks  Pretty obvious those activities are where most ACL injuries occur.(skiing too because the stiff high ski boots transfer a lot of force to the knee, plus the torque associated with long skis).

But which basketball players are more susceptible to an ACL injury, when and why Occasionally it's just an awkward landing/takeoff, or maybe a player rolls into a guys knee bending it sideways or backwards too far (often that can be an MCL).
But I'd argue that awkward landings occur more when a player's body is exhausted.
Furthermore, ACL and other serious injuries also tend to occur more when a player has other lower limb injuries --  hamstring, hip, ankle -- which can compromise balance and natural motion, and those associated injuries are often caused by fatigue and overuse.

Most hoop ACL tears are on non-contact plays. 
Dr. Richard Steadman, who pioneered microfracture surgery and basically the field of modern sports knee surgery,is on record that most serious knee injuries occur when the muscles and ligaments are fatigued.  Steadman determine that most of his skiing patients knee injuries occurred by far late in the day.  According to him, the same held true for football and basketball.  Tired, worn-down ligaments and tendons tend to give way under repetitive stress when the joint is compromised by fatigue.  Not surprising.

I think of Bernard King going down at the tail end of a meaningless game, as he tried to catch up to a fast break late in a 4Q.
Not surprised that Jamal Murray crumpled with under 1 minute left in the game.
I'll try to look it up, but would be very interesting to see ACL tears per quarter for the last 30+ years.
(Achilles and other leg injuries most likely fit the same pattern of tired body parts giving way).
Edit: just checked in with Rose's ACL tear and here's the ESPN game headline:
Derrick Rose tears ACL late in Bulls' Game 1 win over 76ers
Rose crumbled to the ground after he drove the lane with about 1:20 left and the Bulls leading by 12.
Thanks Thibs!  (Follow the link and you can read Thibs being defensive about unnecessariyl risking/crippling his star player). I thought it was negligent when Randle played 35 or however many minutes recently in a 40 point blowout v. ORL.

Here's an article comparing Murrays' ACL injury to Rose's in that both occurred in compressed schedule shortened seasons.  Lotta injuries this year.

Btw, I was not surprised that Derrick Rose and Jeremy Lin both suffered serious knee injuries.  Their style involved getting very low when they cut to the basket.  Effective at evading Bigs in the paint, but puts tremendous strain on the knee joint.
And indeed, the ACL info says cutting or planting or jumping on a bent knee is high risk behavior.  They repeatedly drove inside and cut sharply while they were crouched very low to the ground.  It almost looked painful to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:10:35 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18197 on: April 16, 2021, 02:22:48 PM »

Here's a list of 97 players who have torn their ACL:
https://www.dallashoopscast.com/blog/nba-stars-who-returned-after-torn-acl/

Looks like Danny Manning and Nene played the most seasons (13) post-ACL surgery.
 Adult Al Harrington 12; Shaun the Sheep Livingston presumed to play 11 more years. But of course post-ACL longevity is only possible if it was torn when a player was fairly young.

Knick Trivia:

Name the 8 Knicks who tore their ACL.

Hint: 3 in the last ten years.
4 in the 80's; 1 in the early 90's
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:28:26 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #18198 on: April 16, 2021, 04:24:05 PM »

Wilt was fucking huge.

I'm pretty sure I've told you guys my brush with greatness re Wilt in April '67.

Re '73 I'm still irked that the Celts (4-3 losers to the Knicks in the ECF) didn't play Wilt in the '73 Finals and send him into retirement.

Havlicek ran into another 2 big slow guys, a fucking politician from Princeton ran him into a pitcher for the Chicago White Sox who set a mean pick, and dislocated his shoulder in G3 of that series. One arm Johnny (who usually played 40+ minutes) missed a game and missed minutes in G-5-6-7, but played left-hand, but...

Beating Wilt in the Finals again would have been fitting with his career arc.

Russell's first year as a coach, Alex Hannum's Sixers STOMPED on the Celtics. 

Alex Hannum being the last coach to have beaten the Celtics back in what, '57, '58, with the Bob Pettirt St. Louis Hakws. 

Much like Bill Sharman did in Wilt's autumn years with the Lakers, Hannum got Wilt to buy into more of a team game, not that he wasn't a team player, but Hannum and Sharman showed Wilt that he didnt have to do it all. 

In 1966-67, for the championship Sixers, Wilt's scoring was "down" to only 24.1 ppg [though his FG% was a career high of .683%], but he tallied his customary 24 + rebounds a game, while his assists were up to a Julius Randle-like [sarcasm] 7.8 a game over an average of 45.5 minutes. 

As per the Celtics beating Wilt one more time, the Lakers had the Celtics in their sights,  That game 7 loss was not on Wilt, but on that dickless egomaniac Van Bredakoff who decided to PROVE that "we can win without you" when Charmberlain was ready to come back in from a balky knee in a fourth quarter where the Lakers outscored the Celts 30-17 [Jerry West was his usual heroic self, notching 42-13-12 in a heartbreaking 108-106 loss].
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:56:30 PM by chipstern »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18199 on: April 16, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »

That Finals was one of my favorites, a 4th place aging Celtic team, heading for its last round-up, an underdog on the road against Lakers 3-headed monster.

Strange decision by VBK to sit Wilt with 5 mins to go, but he did get within a couple of points and if not for Don Nelson's famous bounce...

who knows maybe he'd be seen as a maverick genius.

Jack Kent Cooke had the balloons in the rafters and the USC marching band ready to march, but Red had a leprechaun and a cigar tp smoke. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:38:21 PM by bankshot1 »

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #18200 on: April 16, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »

That Finals was one of my favorites, a 4th place aging Celtic team, heading for its last round-up, an underdog on the road against Lakers 3-headed monster.

Strange decision by VBK to sit Wilt with 5 mins to go, but he did get within a couple of points and if not for Don Nelson's famous bounce...

Jack Kent Cooke had the balloons in the rafters and the USC marching band ready to march, but Red had a leprechaun and a cigar tp smoke.

HE? 

You mean JERRY WEST, dude. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18201 on: April 16, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »

HE? 

You mean JERRY WEST, dude.

No I was talking about VBK's coaching decision.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #18202 on: April 16, 2021, 06:43:37 PM »

I know. 

Coach VBK was a vile person. 

Elgin Baylor and Jerry West AND Wilt, deserved better. 

May he fry in Crisco for eternity, or be forced to French Kiss Kiid in Purgatory. 

chipstern

• View Profile
More Injuries
« Reply #18203 on: April 16, 2021, 06:47:35 PM »

FUCK

Adrian Wojnrowski: X-Rays negative and MRI coming tonight on Donovan Mitchell’s sprained right ankle, sources tell ESPN. – via

I love DM.  Hope he's okay. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Anyone?
« Reply #18204 on: April 16, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »

With an open roster spot after John Henson’s contract expired Thursday at midnight, the Knicks are leaning toward making a backcourt addition instead of another big man, according to league sources. One point guard on their radar is longtime European standout Mike James, who has played the last two seasons for CSKA Moscow, shooting over 40 percent from 3-point range. – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Anyone?
« Reply #18205 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »

With an open roster spot after John Henson’s contract expired Thursday at midnight, the Knicks are leaning toward making a backcourt addition instead of another big man, according to league sources. One point guard on their radar is longtime European standout Mike James, who has played the last two seasons for CSKA Moscow, shooting over 40 percent from 3-point range. – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

Marc Berman

With an open roster spot after John Henson’s contract expired Thursday at midnight, the Knicks are leaning toward making a backcourt addition instead of another big man, according to league sources.

One point guard on their radar is longtime European standout Mike James, who has played the last two seasons for CSKA Moscow, shooting over 40 percent from 3-point range.

It is unclear how the news of Alec Burks being put into COVID-19 health and safety protocols will affect the Knicks’ decision making.

This season, the 30-year-old James is averaging 19.3 points and 4.7 assists in 27 Euro-League games.

In late March, however, James was suspended following an altercation with head coach Dimitris Itoudis, and reportedly left Moscow for the Pacific Northwest to pursue the NBA again. He technically still is under contract.

“I can’t wait to retire and not talk to none of y’all anymore,” James tweeted after the ban.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18206 on: April 16, 2021, 07:31:35 PM »

1969 Game 7

Lakers missed NINETEEN free throws, 9 by Wilt.

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18207 on: April 16, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »

Oh fuck. Can we win without Alec?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Anyone?
« Reply #18208 on: April 16, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »

Very nice.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18209 on: April 16, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »

Chamberlain was also 2-11 from the FT line in a  1-point Game 4 loss.

Seriously.

Fuck Wilt.
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1852