Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 918093 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #21720 on: December 15, 2021, 09:29:38 AM »

Good plan - though all the triumphant early cries of the over 41.5 wins bettors do crumble.

Need Charlotte to finish top 12, so we get pick 19.  Some interesting Euros.

Kentucky PG should be there for us - he is slated right now around 13-14

Consistently productive point guard with good size and length. Solid frame with plenty of room to add strength. Has nice combination of scoring and creating for point guard position. Has ball skills and vision to consistently create for others while his jumper is playable to the perimeter. Finishes well at rim due to physical tools. Has ability to defend both guard positions at next level due to instincts and length. Projects as high major starter with professional upside if game continues to progress.

https://247sports.com/player/tyty-washington-46057695/
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21721 on: December 15, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »

Fournier's lone made FG was a baseline cut when Poole paid too much attention to Randle, who made a nice pass.
That occurred 1Q immediately after Scurry hit one more 3 than RayAllen.
Would like to see more of that kind of action.
We've seen ObiT do well by backdooring down the baseline.
Otherwise at times I have flashbacks to Dantoni stating that he just doesn't like player movement.

GSW runs all sorts of screens, including Scurry screening a Big under the basket and then flaring away and leaving havoc.

Getting rid of David Lee was a good move even if everything we got back turned out to be useless.  Too bad we didn't get Dray Green in the deal ...
Btw, Kalenna Azubuike announces the Warrior games and does a nice job.  Sort of in the informative with humor style of Richard Jefferson. 
Well-spoken guy, knows the game and impressed me by actually knowing what was going on with the Knick team and players the last 5-10 games.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21722 on: December 15, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »

GSW runs all sorts of screens, including Scurry screening a Big under the basket and then flaring away and leaving havoc.

What Elephant said about watching the two offenses. Movement. Movement. Movement. We stand in the corners for 20 seconds. They move to the corners off action. Many alternative Knick histories out there. So much focus on if we had the seven pick not the eighth. But what if Kerr accepts the NYK job not GSW?

*** some coaches don't like movement because it leads to increased turnovers, GSW often among the leaders in most...but the upside, and the JOY OF WATCHING
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:02:27 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21723 on: December 15, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »

We do not have a Curry

Closest in terms of movement is Quickley.

What numbers would Immanuel put up of green-lighted at 35 minutes per night?  If we had added Lonzo Ball we could have found out.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #21724 on: December 15, 2021, 03:12:05 PM »

What Elephant said about watching the two offenses. Movement. Movement. Movement. We stand in the corners for 20 seconds. They move to the corners off action. Many alternative Knick histories out there. So much focus on if we had the seven pick not the eighth. But what if Kerr accepts the NYK job not GSW?

*** some coaches don't like movement because it leads to increased turnovers, GSW often among the leaders in most...but the upside, and the JOY OF WATCHING

Kerr accept the Knicks job?

From PHOOL JAGOFF? 

Kerr himself was recently quoted as to how he would've lasted two years, MAX, before being fired. 

What's his name, lasted a 1-1/2. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #21725 on: December 15, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »

The schedule lightens up now.  Knicks have a chance to right the ship and get back to .500 over the next 10 or so games.   

IF the team continues its struggle over this 'easy' stretch then I think the season is basically lost and we look at becoming sellers.

See what you can get for Fournier/Knox/Kemba maybe add Mitch or Noel into that bucket.   Stock the already stocked draft cupboard even more.

IF the team wins 7 of 10 or 8 of 11 then maybe it convinces the FO to be buyers and go after a guy like Turner using up some of our draft ammo.

Either way, we will have a better insight in 2-3 weeks.   We just gotta wait and see.   Making a move today becuase it's Dec 15 would be hasty.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #21726 on: December 15, 2021, 03:50:32 PM »

Addendum:  I love what Randle did for this team last year, but if you go back two years there were plenty here in this forum saying that building around Randle would not be easy.  He isn't switchable, he sometimes (okay often) tries to do too much, he gets into iso-mode and one-on-one mode sometimes and can shoot both teams into or out of the game.   In other words, not a top guy on a great team.   

I think we saw his ceiling last year as Top guy on a good team.   That was with everything falling into place and with him as the unquestioned team leader.   

Now that we try to replicate last year we see it's not that easy.   So trading Randle should not be 100% off the table.   We saw the best of Randle and we know what it takes to surround him with guys who don't want to take the ball out of his hands.   And even that team was limited.

Can Randle be the best player on a conference finalist?  The answer is no.   Who disagrees?

NO we aren't trading him for Buddy Heild like before last season.   But we have to ask ourselves if we are being foolish building around a player who isn't that dominant.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:52:13 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21727 on: December 15, 2021, 04:36:35 PM »

Either way, we will have a better insight in 2 to 3 weeks.   We just gotta wait and see.   Making a move today becuase its Dec 15 would be hasty.

AGREE.

And I would think any deal looks long past this season as well.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21728 on: December 15, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »

Contract Year Randle was surrounded by plenty of defenders.
And I don't mean to knock Randle, as it's not easy to come in in great shape from off-season workouts, and then be mentally and physically strong through the long NBA season grind.   Especially with the workhorse minutes Thibs doles out.
That was probably peak Randle.  But if you're going to build around Julius, then build around Julius, which means defenders and shooters (and a shot blocking C).

As for Big Picture, I endlessly harp on the need for a starting PG and how we're spinning our wheels and going nowhere without one.  Point out our weak defenders and the need for two-way players, and switchable wings.  Want more ballhandling, passing, movement, fewer minutes, etc. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21729 on: December 15, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »

I dont know Bo I think I was the only one around here who didnt think we were good enough with Walker/Rose

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Chamaco knows
« Reply #21730 on: December 15, 2021, 10:26:19 PM »

I dont know Bo I think I was the only one around here who didnt think we were good enough with Walker/Rose

Chamaco is always the "only one around here who..." KNOWS... ... ... ... ... ... ...  ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...  ... ... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ... ...  ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...  ... ... ... ... ... ... EVERYTHING

- Help Chamaco Cartero! -(he needs it much more than Andy Parker)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:14:34 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21731 on: December 16, 2021, 03:08:59 AM »

I thought our defense would suffer with Kemba and Fournier in place of Elf & Bullocks.

But we were lucky to pick up Kemba, otherwise we would have been just Rose & IQ (and for whatever reason Burks) at PG.  Just as we were lucky to nab Rose in the first place.  Of course, Rose has worked out grandly, and Kemba was the fall guy for this year's crappy defense.  Though we still play iffy D and lose without him.

I'm just watching a replay of the 4Q (earlier I only saw the last 5 mins of the 4Q earlier.

9 minutes to go and down 9.  Knix have a good defensive sequence, scrambling while GSW sprays the ball all around.  Grimes does a terrific job stifling a Damion Lee drive, so Lee has to flail and throw the ball awkwardly back out.   Iggy dumps it to Toscano posting up Knox on the left block with 4 then ... 3 ticks left.  Burks, maybe thinking Knox is a weak defender or the shot clock is soon to go off, does a weak double.  He's pseudo-doubling but not getting close enough to bother the offender or get a hand in.  So Professor Iguodala, Burk's man, screens McBrideofFrankenstein, whose man then cuts to the rim and gets a lays up just before the shot clock.  Either hard double and disrupt the ballhandler or defend your man.  Burks was too distracted to process/notice the screen.  Hell, he's jumping left as the pass goes right, right to the rim.  Bottom line: halfway no man's land defense is deadly.

Very next play, Randle doubles Scurry high up to get the ball out of his hands.  Knox comes over to cover the rolling Bjelica until Julius can recover.  But Burks retreats into the paint for no reason and leaves Iggy about 15' open.  Sure Iggy isn't the best 3-pointer, but is wide open, and could also quickly kick to Toscano in the left corner before Knox recovers from the right block.  B2B no-man land defensive plays from Burks.  Sure he's probably been out there 40 minutes already.  Maybe he doesn't trust Knox, who did his job well on both those defensive possessions.  But you can't just drift and get caught guarding noone.

This was actually a Burks speciality last year, where his man would be parked usually in the right corner, Burks would drift too far, venturing into the paint, and sometimes an alert Big would slide down from the elbow and set a baseline pick, so Burks would have zero ability to recover.  Burks would never be aware of the screen until far too late.  Burks loves to drift into the paint for no reason.

Very next play, Quix drifts far into the paint, his man passes up a wide open elbow 3, then relocates.  When Damion Lee gets the ball in the corner, Quix is so lost amidst the paint Big I'm not even sure he could see his man with the ball in the corner.

Plenty of defensive flaws in the 4Q when the Knix were trying to stay connected.  There's 3 staright bad defensive plays by our G's during one minute of play.  GSW presents minimal threat inside, so I have no idea why the Knix guards were drifting so far away from 3 point shooters.  Is this what Thibs wants?

When the game was close or tied early 4Q, Azubuike had a harsh assessment, bluntly stating that the Knix were garbage in crunch time and weren't going to win a close game in the last 5 mins.   At least not v. GSW.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 03:51:25 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21732 on: December 16, 2021, 04:08:45 AM »

I think most were relieved we found an additional PG. 
But everyone was aware that BOS dumped Kemba, where he had knee issues and couldn't defend anything, and then OKC waived Walker when no trade option manifested. 
Kemba was a low risk maneuver.  There were concerns that between Kemba and Rose they might miss a fair amount of games due to knee troubles. 

I miss our defensive identity.  I also miss opening night Fournier.  Where'd that guy go?

I'll add, either play Kemba or play McBride.
And for godssake start a PG. 
We have 3.5 of them.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21733 on: December 16, 2021, 04:35:11 AM »

Well, Burks was a human sieve on D mid-4Q.

7' mark, Knix down a mere 4 points, Burks turns his head to peak at the post-up, so his man cuts and beats him for an easy layup.  Next play he fronts Bjelica who simply catches a lob and lays it in.   Is Bjelica really a post up threat?  Could have used better team communication so a help defender could come over.  But also you can't front a Big 12' out.  At most front briefly and then shift back around.

Quickly the deficit back to 8.
For both of those plays, Randle and Knox were the Knick two Bigs ...
Without Mitch or Noel, there was no rim protection and not even a whiff of interior help defense. 

Not sure what Thibs was thinking.  Who are you going to stop with a lineup of McBride-IQ-Burks-Knox-Randle?  But Burks needs to know there's no rim protector on the court, and that Bjelica is a jump shooter, not a post-up dude.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #21734 on: December 16, 2021, 04:50:53 AM »

Awful 4Q D.
5' mark, GSW push.  A 3-on-3 break, but Rose just stays in the middle of the court guarding noone, until a long pass hits Poole on the elbow for a wide open 3.
Knix transition D has been awful all season (and last).

Next play, Randle just wanders deep into the paint, so his man Dray Green pops in a wide open 3.  Just wow.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 1848