Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1852

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1018951 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #3255 on: December 31, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »

Anyone to watch on Spurs?

Bertans has been lighting it up.  Shooting 48% from 3 for the season.
49% FG; 91% FT.

Poeltl has been strong.  5 boards in 15 mins.  63% FG (same as his FT% though)

Pau might be back.

DeRozan and Poeltl...pretty decent return.  Plus a 2019 #1 pick. 

Way high first rounder.  But hey, could've been worse.  A lot worse. 

PS: I believe that Poeltl is the center the Raptors drafted with...wait for it...wait for it...WAIT FOR IT...The #1 pick the Knicks gifted them in the Bargnani Heist.  I believe this was the handiwork of Glen Grunwald, White Boy Pro Temps, and Donnie Walsh's parting present to Knicks fans. 

PPS:  Cathal Kelly of The Star wrote at the time, "What was new GM Masai Ujiri wearing when he negotiated this deal? A ski mask? Getting picks in return for a cap-sagging player everyone in the NBA knew you were aching to be rid of is theft."

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: December 31, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

KP can get out of here soon.

no reason to stay.  NONE.

Actually I was going to make that same suggestion about you, ClipperJane. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: December 31, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »

Why was Robinson not placed in the G League from the outset?

Basically because Kornet was.
So Mitch was our backup C.
And his defense/rim protection was a nice change of pace from Kant.

Otherwise, Fizz has said he prefers guys with the team, practicing and learning, rather than G-League.  There are advantages to both approaches, but I agree I'd rather see a guy every day and know what his work routine is and who's telling him what, rather than trusting an affiliate elsewhere. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: December 31, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »

I still think Frank would get a lot out of extended run in Westchester. He needs to lock in the things he’s shown glimpses of. He can pull double duty on concurrent home stands.

Enes needs to look at Greg Monroe to understand the future path of his career.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: December 31, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »

I still think Frank would get a lot out of extended run in Westchester. He needs to lock in the things he’s shown glimpses of. He can pull double duty on concurrent home stands.

Unless the Knicks are afraid Frank won't succeed there it is bizarre how we can't get him some G league appearances.
You can play a game for Westchester and be ahealthy DNP-Coaches Decision the next day --
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: December 31, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »

There are advantages to both approaches, but I agree I'd rather see a guy every day and know what his work routine is and who's telling him what, rather than trusting an affiliate elsewhere.

He isn't -- ELSEWHERE -- he would still be here.  LOL.

It's as if you think we place him in the G League and he is transported to another dimension.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »

Oh ... i see... MY screens offend the CHipwhich  BUT  Enes Kanter can go on a locker-room tirade and Chip loves the smell.

He is a competitor who wants to contribute and wants to win. 

When it was Joachim Noah you didn't like it.  CONGRATS CHIP!

With Enes your standard has doubled!! Yay!  Double Standard!!!

I wouldn't expect you to relate to that.

:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:07:18 PM by Kam »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: December 31, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »

Yes!

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: December 31, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

Once again to be clear...

Westchester is 90 minutes from MSG

When the Knicks are on a homestand one can play in the afternoon for Westchester and be wearing a Knicks jumpsuit that evening.

One can practice with the Knicks one morning ... under their watchful eyes ... and catch an Uber and play in a G League game that night.

Stop with the outdated perception of what a stint in the G League would be like.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: December 31, 2018, 06:11:18 PM »

LOL at the idea y'all got... Frank riding in the back of a greyhound squeezed between two fat businessmen on their way to Palooka-ville.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Pay no attention
« Reply #3265 on: December 31, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »

KP can get out of here soon.

no reason to stay.  NONE.

Actually I was going to make that same suggestion about you, ClipperJane.

Hey Nagel, pay no attention to your friend Chip. I want you here!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
Viva la Franc
« Reply #3266 on: January 01, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »

Why demote Franc to greenlight him?
You can simply start him for these Knix and tell him to take 10+ shots  a half.  Or alternatively, have him lead the 2nd unit with the same directive to shoot and drive.  It's not like Knix have a stable rotation to disrupt or are trying to Win.

Start Franc- Tim - Fort Knox - Vonleh - Kornet -- your scoring lineup and tell Franc to shoot and pass.  Let Franc be ball dominant with those scorers.  Then stick Franc out there with Courtly - Lance - Vonleh - Mitch -- your all-defense, quiet-offense players and let him again dominate and lead.

The true test anyway is how a knick pairs with KZ, which is still a ways off.  Maybe try to build Franc-Tim compatibility in the meantime.  Franc as a defender who lets Tim do some ballhandling/creating as well.

Re: Westchester.  You make it like Westchester Knix never have a road trip or that the Knix and Suburb NY Knix always play at Home at the same time.  You can probably find overlapping homestands here and there, but travel is the nature of things.  Anyway, my point was that I'd rather have hands-on and work with a player directly then leave it to others.  I don't think AAA ball would be useful for Franc's confidence or development. 

Just start him again and give him extended minutes.
Free Franc . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 01, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »

Speaking Frankly.
I thought this article was wrong on every count.
Writer lists 9 NBA do-overs teams would want if allowed (ie the Fultz -Tatum fiasco) and drafting Franc is #9?  Absurd. 
My comments at the end.

9. Knicks draft Frank Ntilikina No. 8 overall (2017)

This is simple: Ntilikina is already a sporadic bench-warmer for the Knicks, and even when he plays, it's not for that long and he doesn't do much with his time. This was Phil Jackson's pick, and what makes it even harder to swallow is the Knicks were reportedly very high on Donovan Mitchell, who went five picks later at No. 13 to the Nuggets (who promptly traded him to the Jazz).

The draft is a crapshoot, and in most cases it's just too easy to say a team "made a mistake" after you have the results of their early performance to guide your analysis. But Ntilikina was flawed from the start. He projects as an elite defender, and in limited time, he's already a guy who has played at that level defensively. But his offense is a mess, and it always has been, and I'm here to tell you there is a laundry list of guards who can't shoot who have gone in the lottery and wound up as disappointments: Emmanuel Mudiay, Elfrid Payton, Kris Dunn, Shabazz Muhammad, Dante Exum, Michael Carter-Williams, and on and on. Stretch it out to all perimeter players and you have Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson. Even Ricky Rubio and Tyreke Evans haven't been anywhere near the players they were expected to be. Not a single All-Star among any of those groups.

There is obviously more to a player than whether he can shoot or not, but you better be seriously elite at other things on the offensive end to make up for it -- i.e. John Wall and Russell Westbrook. There was absolutely no evidence that Ntilikina was ever going to be anything close to that kind of player. There is no question the Knicks would change this pick if they could, even with the understanding that Ntilikina won't turn 21 years old until next summer and still has plenty of time to improve.

1. "The draft is a crapshoot, and in most cases it's just too easy to say a team "made a mistake" after you have the results of their early performance to guide your analysis. But ..."

But then he goes on to play that game anyway.  Nobody knew that Don Mitchell was a potential all-star or would play like Dwayne Wade his rook season.  He went 13th for a reason (and I didn't even realize he was then traded to boot). Donovan's flaws were talked up, a bit slow, not much of a defender, sort of a combo guard, etc. 

And there was a good chance Knix would have taken Smith Jr if not Franc.  Though Phil prefers tall guards.  And Smith had the prior knee injury as a red flag.

2.  "But Ntilikina was flawed from the start ... his offense is a mess, and it always has been"

Who knew much about his offense?  I recall some were concerned that Franc didn't have a quick first step and worried he couldn't get to the NBA rim.  He was seen as fairly NBA ready for a 19 year old, savvy, confident, an orchestrator and defender.

3.  "there is a laundry list of guards who can't shoot who have gone in the lottery and wound up as disappointments: Emmanuel Mudiay, Elfrid Payton, Kris Dunn, Shabazz Muhammad, Dante Exum, Michael Carter-Williams ..."

Ignoring guys like Kidd, Ball, Rondo (not a lottery pick, but so what), PG's who couldn't shoot but make an impact with Defense, vision, effort.  Hell, Hall of Fame Pony Tarker couldn't shoot when he started.

Plus PG's take time to develop, so I wouldn't give up on Mud, Dunn or Exum (or Franc) yet.  Mud, Dunn & Elfrid were starting to come around this year before injuries got to the latter two.

4.  "and wound up as disappointments"  . . . "Not a single All-Star among any of those"

Was that the sound of goalposts moving?
So Franc is a disappointment if he doesn't make an all-star team.  Who was expecting to draft an all-star at #10.  Sure it happens, but is not a realistic expectation.

5.  "you better be seriously elite at other things on the offensive end to make up for it -- i.e. John Wall and Russell Westbrook.  There was absolutely no evidence that Ntilikina was ever going to be anything close to that kind of player."

Uh, Wall was an overall #1 pick.  Russ was the 4th pick.
That's blue chip territory.  no one thought Franc was going to be a franchise cornerstone getting a max contract. 
Comparing #10 pick Franc to all-stars is misguided.  Stupid.
If Franc turns into the passer/defender that Rubio is, we'd be satisfied.

6."There is no question the Knicks would change this pick if they could, even with the understanding that Ntilikina won't turn 21 years old until next summer and still has plenty of time to improve."

For Mitchell, sure.  Otherwise Collins, Adebayo even Kennard look like nice rotation players.  But Franc is still a solid pick with potential.
If he can get more consistent with his 3's, stop making next-station Euro-passes, be a little more aggressive and creative in scoring and passing, he'll be fine.  Or maybe he's Darrell Walker ...

To have drafting Franc as one of the Top 10 NBA mistakes of the past couple years is silly.  Just for the Knix, how about the Noah signing?  He's a $6M tax hit for the next few years while playing for MEMf.  Couldn't handle NYC, gave us nothing over 2 years and we're still paying him.  Give me a gerry mulligan on that . . .
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:06:30 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 01, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »

Yes!

You get stupider by the minute. Greg Monroe is contributing nicely on the second best team in the NBA. They play to win every night. Anyway, Enes is a different player.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 01, 2019, 03:45:18 AM »

Enes is a better scorer and rebounder and a worse passer and defender, though not by much. Both are 20 minute guys on a bad team, 10 minute guys on a good one. With those minute parameters, big stats won’t come. Setting good screens, getting hands up to contest, and other details are a better focus than getting post ups, not that they are mutually exclusive. He’s got to realize that with the holes in his game no serious team can accommodate him and hope to win despite the assets he has made his bread and butter. if he can’t adjust he won’t ever find a Monroe role down the line. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1852