Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899768 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #4860 on: March 17, 2019, 03:16:27 AM »

Did you see the fan encounter after a recent game.  Fan in stands yells SELL THE TEAM!  Dolan, below and going into the tunnel and with bodyguards around him, confronts the fan.

JD: "Oh so you think I should sell the team?  How'd you like not to come to games any more?
Fan: That's my opinion.
JD: That's not an opinion ... And that's rude.
(I guess the fan needed to say I think you should sell the team, so Dolan could recognize n opinion easier)
Fan: ...
JD: Maybe you can watch the games on TV from now on.
And he motions security to detain the fan.

I guess the fan was a bit surprised to be taking to Dolan.  But a very lame interaction.  I would have pointed out that the Knix have been a terrible team for much of the two decades Dolan has owned the team.  that there is a revolving door of players, coaches, management, and the only constant was the poor ownership.  Politely mention that the team has the worst record and just traded their best player for cap space.  That IMO the Knick would be better off as a team with a  better owner and more stable and competent management.

Then if Dolan was a jerk or unpleasant or told security to grab me, that's when I'd ask him how Phil Jackson was doing.  And Oakley.  And when he was going to bring Isiah back to fix things. 

IF any of you go to a Knick game, you should coach your section during halftime and arrange for a 3Q SELL THE TEAM chant.  If one section gets started, I imagine it could spread to the entire stadium.  Especially when the Knix are down double digits and playing poorly.  Thin-skinned Dolan would hate that.  Cameras would pan on to him to see his reaction.  And it would make all the sports news.   CHip?  Miras? Whoever the hell actually attends these games anymore ...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:25:20 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: March 17, 2019, 03:44:44 AM »

Milwaukee Bucks guard Malcolm Brogdon is expected to miss six to eight weeks with a minor plantar fascia tear in his right foot, league sources told ESPN.

There is optimism that he could return closer to the six-week mark, sources said.

Based on that timeline, the Bucks could potentially be without Brogdon deep into the playoffs. With the first round set to begin in less than a month, he certainly won't be playing in that series. The tentative start date for the second round, meanwhile, is April 29 or 30, which is right at the beginning of the reported timeline.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: March 17, 2019, 04:35:32 AM »

Sterling Brown, who I’d want as next man up has a lingering wrist issue. More George Hill now, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:40:31 AM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:32 AM »

We.are.just.so.bad.

I know they're young. I know there's not a ton of talent there. But at this point, I can't glimpse anything the coach is accomplishing.

This hasn't been an inspiring season from Fizdale. Dealt a very poor hand, sure, but the rotations have been too wacky and inconsistent for my tastes, meaning nobody developed a sense of their role. Without that, it's hard to implement a proper identity. He gets some credit for building confidence in Mudiay, DSJ, and in particular Mitch and Vonleh. But I'm not sure Ntilikina and Knox have developed as much as they could have in a more structured environment.

Let's see how he does next year. He won't have the same excuses (he'll have different ones, mind you). I'm not saying all hope is lost, but I'm really hoping to see a lot more from Fiz next year.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: March 17, 2019, 07:18:03 AM »

I understand that mix and match lineups and everybody gets to start  for extended stretches (and not just in their hometowns a la Larry Brown) is unconventional and generally frowned upon.  But I've liked it -- think it's been useful, interesting and fun.

The only ones who didn't play much were Courtly & Lance, and other than trying to raise their trade value, there was no reason to play such decent vets much.    Noah another vet who was unwanted, though that largely predated Fiz and was apparently for different reasons.

Franc's main problem has been poor play.  And some minor dings.  And of course we've had Mud/Burke and now Jr. Smith/Mud and Franc hasn't beaten anybody out.  While the SG slot has had a lot of guys competing hard.

Knox has been given a ton of minutes and ops and has been up and down like most rooks.  KK had a terrific Dec. and a stretch where he was really good in 1Q's.  Hopefully all this experience pays off down the road.

Dot, Mitch, Vonleh, Trier have all done well.
Zonja hasn't.  Kornet has been interesting.  Started as a sharpshooter, but has morphed into a pretty good interior defender.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: March 17, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »

Sterling Brown, who I’d want as next man up has a lingering wrist issue. More George Hill now, I guess.

Ilyasova, Snell, Connaughton

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: March 17, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »

Ntilikina clearly isn't viewed as a point guard. I don't think the expectation has ever been that he'd beat out those guys for time at the 1. He's competing for wing minutes.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: March 17, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »

I also expect Hill will be called on to play more, if he's up to the extra minutes.

If Franc can't be at least a backup PG, then he's fairly useless and likely not long for this league.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: March 17, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »

I understand that mix and match lineups and everybody gets to start  for extended stretches (and not just in their hometowns a la Larry Brown) is unconventional and generally frowned upon.  But I've liked it -- think it's been useful, interesting and fun.

The only ones who didn't play much were Courtly & Lance, and other than trying to raise their trade value, there was no reason to play such decent vets much.    Noah another vet who was unwanted, though that largely predated Fiz and was apparently for different reasons.

Franc's main problem has been poor play.  And some minor dings.  And of course we've had Mud/Burke and now Jr. Smith/Mud and Franc hasn't beaten anybody out.  While the SG slot has had a lot of guys competing hard.

Knox has been given a ton of minutes and ops and has been up and down like most rooks.  KK had a terrific Dec. and a stretch where he was really good in 1Q's.  Hopefully all this experience pays off down the road.

Dot, Mitch, Vonleh, Trier have all done well.
Zonja hasn't.  Kornet has been interesting.  Started as a sharpshooter, but has morphed into a pretty good interior defender.

Generally speaking, mix and match lineups make a lot of sense when the coach has a philosophy of playing hot-hand lineups.  That can be very much fun as players truly compete and complement each other's play.

My favorite instance of this happened when the Yankees after a decade of drudgery were putting together Munson, Lyle, Rivers and that gang of players who in their formative years really showed the spark of something special. 

I find the Knicks games unwatchable because I see no such sparks. Every game provides a statistical standout or two but the inevitable, conscripted losing is unbearable.  The NBA is responsible for this shitshow across the league.  And the normalization of disingenuous "we really are trying to win" rhetoric is simply teaching kids that adults are all full of sh@t.

If there every was a year to introduce a system and stick to it hell or high water, this was it.  I don't care if we sign five FAs all of whom are great - I don't see a systematic foundation for playing any kind of even "let's pretend"  the right way.

We have drifted a long way from Kansas without heart, a brain, or a lucky charm.

I also disagree on Franc.  His play is predictably immature for good reason - he's a freakin' kid. Same deal with most of our roster.  No amount of diet or conditioning is going to change that.  That said, Fizdale has done nothing to mold these guys in a way that they could contribute within their means.  And regardless of age, these kids should be working on conditioning day and night - no excuses.

Zonja is the canary in the coal mine.  He is an absolutely obvious bust.  If he sticks around longer than having the time to clean out his locker then we need to start asking for Fizdale's replacement. The ship be stinking.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: March 17, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »

Hezonja!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: March 17, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »

Sucks when Mudiay has to play so many minutes.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: March 17, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »

Just awaiting that #5 pick to arrive in a weak draft.

Spencer Pearlman's recent assessment of the draft is...I dunno...just a tad bit depressing given how bad we are this year, unless you are the king of homers.

Yes, it may work out just fine, but rather ironic that one of the worst seasons in our history is also one of the most PowerBall like drafts in memory (Zion or bust!), as I can recall. We won it with Ewing, but I was barely a fan then so means little to me and those born later than most here.

The tinge of hope in free agency is highly prevalent, but is really one of those things where you do wonder if fans' hopes are once again too high, too low, or too "balanced" in contrarianism as seems to be the dynamic of Knick fans based on my experience.

Anyway...we'll all "live," Dolan will still own the team, and the Nets will still have fewer fans for now.

We shall over...something
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:33:50 PM by PrezIke »

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: March 17, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/03/16/mike-gribanovs-pre-ncaa-tournament-2019-big-board/

Maybe he's off as there's always a "chance," sure, but basically, his view is if you don't get Zion, the next 3 picks he would trade down from. Is that normal?? This seems really quite bad for teams that don't win the lottery, or is highly risky for all teams as bad, or about as close to where we are.

If we had a "typical Knicks" season of being in the 6-9 pick range, this of ALL years, based on evidence - and he is basing it on evidence not "feelings" - would be more ideal as we'd get better value.

The risk-reward is better with Zion the prize, but some "big" prospects are not really showing enough to warrant top 5. That's the real f**k you to us. We always whined that top 5 was needed to get top talent, but one of the few seasons we are in that range, is one of the seasons where we don't see that kind of talent available after #1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:49:38 PM by PrezIke »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: March 17, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »

He's a fucking loon.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:56 PM »

He's a fucking loon.

Why would you say that?

As far as I understand he's using data to support his findings over the course of this season in college hoops.

He makes these points on the latest KnicksFilmSchool Podcast.

I'll be real. I think we have reason to worry, and good reason to suspect we could trade our pick, or it will turn into a decent NBA player, but not what some might expect from a top 5 pick...unrealistically or not.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 1844