Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 909169 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #5400 on: April 20, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: April 20, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

yes - even then

not dealing this cat just to clear money

Decent backup pg at decent backup money.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: April 21, 2019, 04:54:27 AM »

Agree that Knix would like to keep Jr. Smith as backup and possible future PG Starter.  But Knox and Smith would be our only decent trade assets -- Trier and Dot could be sweeteners, but have limited value -- and one or both of them would go to bring in a vet starter, say an Aminu/PJ Tucker/Uber type who could start on a playoff team.  If Kyremba comes probably Knox goes and maybe Smith too.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: April 21, 2019, 05:06:11 AM »

UTES blew a key game.
With harden misfiring, the game was there for the taking.
Aroudn 2 mins left, Jingles missed an open 3 that would have put Utah up 2.  It was a 4-on-5 situation as Harden fell down on the baseline on an awkward shot.  Jingles misses, Gordon hit a 3, and HOU up 4.  And UTAh could never close the gap in the last 1:45.

Looked like Harden got away with a charge, but got 2 FT's.  (Maybe Gobert banged him before Harden whacked GoBear in the head(?).  Other end, Mitchell gets a friendly (makeup?) call,

MItch got a pretty good look for a tying 3, but in a semi-crowded area, and no Jazzmen under for the rebound.  Plus with 10 secs left he shot it at 7, so even if he made the tying shot, Rockettes would have plenty of time to get a winning shot off.
Didn't like the UTA out of bounds play much, and they had to run two and burn their final timeout just to get an iffy early shot.  Meh.

UTAH wins and it's a series.  Now they're just Roadkill playing for pride at Home in G4.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: April 21, 2019, 05:34:40 AM »

The killer Jazz quintet this year included Favors.  I can understand wanting to start either Crowder or Royce to guard Harden.  Makes perfect sense.  And they want Jingles out there for another 3-point shooter. 

But UTE defense is best with Gobert and Favors down low.
And then they'd have someone to switch on to Capela when Gobert challenges Harden.
You kind of start losing the battle early when you change your team to match the opp.

I don't know what the best solution is, but G3 Jingles missed a crucial late open 3 with 2 mins left that would have put Jazz up 2.
Then when Mitch missed a 3 with 15 secs left, Jingles man, PJ MotherTucker blasted past Farmer Joe and grabbed the rebound to seal the win. There were 3 jazzmen there, and Jingles simply didn't locate and box his man who crashed in from the baseline.
Crowder/Royce a better bet to have boxed PJT out.

Jingles hasn't been aggressive, hasn't been too effective, and he's the defensive weak link.  I think it was G1, where HOU gave Rubio 3 uncontested corner 3's and he made just 1.  So without a 2nd good 3-point threat, HOU could load up on Mitchell more, and the paint would be more crowded with Favors for Mitch drives.

I would probably just stick with my usual starting 5 (Favors & Jingles), and if Jingles can't guard Harden (mostly by funneling him to GoBear/Favor), and isn't scoring, then you bring in Crowder/Royce.  The main UTA strategy is to sit on Harden's left and force him to drive right.  Jingles can do that.  At the end of G3 it was often Rubio on a switch doing that, and he isn't tall enough to bother Harden's shot (Rubio was timid about even getting a hand close to the shot), so Harden just made 3's next to Rubio.

I'd just rather go to war with my best jazz Quintet.
Hard to believe Favors is just 27, hitting 28 this Summer.
Seems like he's been around forever.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: April 21, 2019, 07:54:45 AM »

Agree that Knix would like to keep Jr. Smith as backup and possible future PG Starter.  But Knox and Smith would be our only decent trade assets -- Trier and Dot could be sweeteners, but have limited value -- and one or both of them would go to bring in a vet starter, say an Aminu/PJ Tucker/Uber type who could start on a playoff team.  If Kyremba comes probably Knox goes and maybe Smith too.

I'm with Bo. I think it's more like DSJ is gone next year than he stays.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: April 21, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »

This is why I said deal Smith only for VALUE

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: April 21, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

++GS plays like a vet team and closes out quarters strongly.
Been killing Clips in last 3 mins of seemingly every quarter.
+
So what's with Bulldog Drummond?  Is he just a slug?  Low motor?  Doesn't care?  Not in good shape?
Sure he puts up numbers because he's huge.
But he's lazy on defense, lazy changing ends, doesn't bother doing small stuff, just reacts when the ball is near.
Bucks shot a lot of 3's when Drummond sagged and didn't close out.  Drum also 2-8 on FT's. 
Drummond should be having Embiid like dominance, but doesn't seem interested in working for that.

I thought SVG did a good job when he put together Drummond, Reg Jax, added Stan John.  I thought that looked like a genuine core.  But RegJax is always injured, hasn't improved and isn't much of a floor general.  Bucks ripped off their biggest lead in G3, going up 14.  So Reg Jax comes down, does some fancy dribbling and multi-fakes and winds up taking a contested 18 footer over a taller defender.  Ugly, and at the very wrong time.

My one takeaway from the last month of the season is how bad so many players are at reading the moment and understanding what is necessary.  usually after the other team has a big run, and a team needs to settle down and get a good shot and easy basket, you get these knuckleheads taking stupid difficult shots.  Drives me crazy.

Drummond has stagnated.  Gets his and is impactful every 5th game or so.  StanJohn already shipped out.  Nice athlete, strong defender, but limited offense.  Actually SJ is terrific on the break and started adding some dribble drive, but his J is just bad for now.

I have no idea why DET could never put together a bench.  But draft picks such as Ellenson and Kennard and StanJohn haven't panned out.  And since RegJax and Drummond stagnated, even adding Blake hasn't done much except put them in position to get thrashed by MIL.  The last month I saw DET 3 times and mostly just hoped Blake wouldn't hurt himself doing everything out there.  And of course he's very dinged up for these playoffs.  He's Mr Effort.

For years I was keen on adding Bledsoe.  And this year he finally busted out.  Still more of a combo G, but he's playing hard and with confidence and purpose.  Had injuries over the years.  I wanted RegJax too, though less sure if he's be a good starting PG.    He's still not consistent and doesn't run a team well.  Oftentimes DET looks better with Ish at the helm.

I was always down on Boogie and big on Drummond.  But looks like DET should have moved him while he was still intriguing.  Wha't his value now?  The new NBA isn't favorable for a load like Bulldog who isn't going to guard the 3-line at all.  Guy needs to get in shape and learn to make FT's.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: April 21, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »

Kennard has 49 points on 50% shooting

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: April 22, 2019, 01:11:28 AM »

Yeah, he's okay.
Coming around.
Is he going to become a legit starter? 
Or just a bench guy?
Or in between?
Not terribly consistent, and shooting his only calling card.
Playoff experience good for him.

Gallo has had a poor playoffs.
His one good game, the Clips won.
29% FG / 30% on 3's.
He should be their #1 scorer.
11-48 FG in the 3 L's.
1-13 on 3's in the last 2 games.
Ouch.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:43:54 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: April 22, 2019, 01:29:42 AM »

Last 10 DET Draft Picks:
2018 no 1st rounder
2017  #12   Luke Kennard
2016  #18   Henry Ellenson
2015  # 8   Stanley Johnson
2014    No 1st rounder
2013 # 8   Kentavious Caldwell-Pope   
2012 # 9   Andre Drummond
2011 # 8   Brandon Knight
2010 # 7  Greg Monroe
2009 #15 Austin Daye

Last 5 years, only 3 1st round picks and didn't get much.
Two draftees gone, and only Kennard left.

They got stuck in the rut of picking mostly 7-9.
These picks don't even seem bad, just a bunch of average guys, no one who popped.  Maybe Drummond qualifies.
Bulldog Drummond and KCP the only 2 starters in that list.

They had a few good 2nd round picks they moved on from too soon:
2012 #39   Khris Middleton
2014 #38   Spencer Dinwiddie
&
2018 #42   Bruce Brown

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:44:56 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: April 22, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »

Well.....

they have Maker from the Johnson deal

And going past 5 years Brandon Knight actually extends out to the acq of Griffin

Knight+ for Jennings
Jennings+ for T Harris
Harris+ for Griffin

Got nothing for Pope, true
Nothing for Ellenson
Nothing for Monroe (except some big years)

NBA is tough business.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: April 22, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »

Yeah, I thought SVG was building something with RegJax-KCP-StanJohn-Drummond.
Seems like pieces that fit together.  But RegJax didn't make a leap, and Drummond got sluggish.

I'd have to look see how/why those 2 1st rounders went.
And who they passed on with those picks.
But no big mistakes pop out.
Just the players they got had some talent but couldn't put it together or develop enough.
I still find KCP enigmatic.  He's really Courtly 2.0.  A decent two-way player who just is too passive.

My only real knock is year after year they did a poor job of outfitting a bench for years.

Sometimes you build a team and it doesn't work for whatever reason.  Injuries occur,
or chemistry is off (think WAS with Wall-Beal-Porter), young players fail to develop, money
issues force a GM's hand, etc.

I thought DET and WAS were two team that started building nicely in the 21st C Teens,
without it every coming together.  Blake was kind of a last ditch, Hail Mary move for DET.
which (barely) scraped them into the playoffs
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: April 22, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »

I'm with Bo. I think it's more like DSJ is gone next year than he stays.

Even if we don't sign a PG in Free Agency?

Would we re-sign Mudiay??
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: April 22, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »

Yeah, I thought SVG was building something with RegJax-KCP-StanJohn-Drummond.
Seems like pieces that fit together.  But RegJax didn't make a leap, and Drummond got sluggish.

I'd have to look see how/why those 2 1st rounders went.
And who they passed on with those picks.
But no big mistakes pop out.
Just the players they got had some talent but couldn't put it together or develop enough.
I still find KCP enigmatic.  He's really Courtly 2.0.  A decent two-way player who just is too passive.

My only real knock is year after year they did a poor job of outfitting a bench for years.

Sometimes you build a team and it doesn't work for whatever reason.  Injuries occur,
or chemistry is off (think WAS with Wall-Beal-Porter), young players fail to develop, money
issues force a GM's hand, etc.

I thought DET and WAS were two team that started building nicely in the 21st C Teens,
without it every coming together.  Blake was kind of a last ditch, Hail Mary move for DET.
which (barely) scraped them into the playoffs

Detroit -

Jackson is fine.  Stanley was overrated - and they get Maker now for him - one year left on deal.

Kennard will get extended off rook deal, with Jackson, Drummond and Griffin - and another middling pick this year which they may hit on......

Others for '19-20 ---- G Robinson III, Galloway, Mychialuk and Leur.

I dont know Bruce Brown and Khyri Thomas

Possibilities.......

Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1847