Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899415 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #12255 on: June 02, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »

Wes Unseld died age 74.
NBA Hall of Famer and Washington Wizards legend Wes Unseld dies

Just a 6'7" C in the 70's, but man was he tough and strong.  Wasn't a big scorer, but he sure could grab a rebound, kick a mean outlet pass, set a devastating screen.

I remember going to a few Net v. Bullets games in the mid/late 70's, and you just knew that Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld were going to dominate.  Two forces who complemented each other well. 

Won Rook of the Year & MVP in his debut season.
Was Finals MVP despite averaging just 9 points a game.
Hell, it was just a 44-38 team that Wes & the Big E took to the Title.
3.5 O-boards & 4 assists per for his career.

A pretty unique player.  Then coached WASH for a long time and then GM-ed them.  Abe Pollin loved Wes.  Unseld has to be the key player in WAS/BAL history.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: June 02, 2020, 01:49:19 PM »

Wes Unseld died age 74.
NBA Hall of Famer and Washington Wizards legend Wes Unseld dies

Just a 6'7" C in the 70's, but man was he tough and strong.  Wasn't a big scorer, but he sure could grab a rebound, kick a mean outlet pass, set a devastating screen.

I remember going to a few Net v. Bullets games in the mid/late 70's, and you just knew that Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld were going to dominate.  Two forces who complemented each other well. 

Won Rook of the Year & MVP in his debut season.
Was Finals MVP despite averaging just 9 points a game.
Hell, it was just a 44-38 team that Wes & the Big E took to the Title.
3.5 O-boards & 4 assists per for his career.

A pretty unique player.  Then coached WASH for a long time and then GM-ed them.  Abe Pollin loved Wes.  Unseld has to be the key player in WAS/BAL history.

6'7" Tall

And about

7'8" Wide

Didn't need to score, because he facilitated scoring.  And, oh yeah, he scored. 

Because for his entire career he was a FUCKING ROCK, good for 36  minutes a night, putting up 11ppg, grabbing 14 boards and distributing 4 dimes. 

Wes vs Willis was FUCKING EPIC Mano A Mano, no quarter given. 

That full court two handed outlet missle off of a board was a thing of  beauty. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: June 02, 2020, 01:55:45 PM »

RIP Wes Unseld

the stats really didn't do him justice

he was a tough SOB and almost as wide as he was tall and he could play

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »

Unseld always seemed like the kind of guy you hated to go up against; but you'd enjoy having as a teammate.

The Willis v Unseld battles were before my time.
I caught the Wash version of the Bullets, 2nd half of the 70's, just after the merger with the ABA.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Question?
« Reply #12259 on: June 02, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »

How on God's Green Earth did James Dolan manage to mess up the Garden/Knicks Messaging on George Floyd? 

I mean...

I know the man is a big Trump Contributor, but Good Golly Miss Molly, LOOK AT YOUR FAN BASE?

Duh?

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: Question?
« Reply #12260 on: June 02, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »

How on God's Green Earth did James Dolan manage to mess up the Garden/Knicks Messaging on George Floyd? 

I mean...

I know the man is a big Trump Contributor, but Good Golly Miss Molly, LOOK AT YOUR FAN BASE?

Duh?

Answer?

HOPELESS
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: June 03, 2020, 02:36:55 AM »

Dolan talks about a respectful work environment, and all I could think of is Anucha, Marbury cousins, the way Melo-Noah-KZ were treated.

When you have a combination of losing, a history of poor management, and you treat high-profile players like crapola, FA's aren't gonna come (except lower tier guys, or fellows who can get overpaid). 

Players talk and I really think the way Melo was treated at the end, the way KZ wanted out (and was sold for a bag of moldy beans), and Noah being banished doesn't sit well with NBA players.  Players know that NYK is mildly toxic. 

"Yesterday, I made a sincere attempt to provide my perspective on a very difficult issue, one that has no easy answers," Dolan wrote

Maybe the context is missing, but what's a difficult issue.  Racism is bad.  Police abuse of power is bad.  Police killing people or using unnecessary violence is bad.  Peaceful protests are wholly American.  1st A right to peaceful Assembly.  Violence is bad and problematic, but as we're seeing the violence is equally small groups of protesters and police using unnecessary violence.  What's difficult?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: June 03, 2020, 03:05:36 AM »

Well, the revived NBA talking 22 teams, basically anyone who still had a playoff chance.  They want to hold either some reg season games or have a play-in tourney (or both), then the playoffs.  Get more games in that way.

Not sure why they didn't cut it at 20, since there currently are 16 playoff teams and 4 more in the West who had a  chance of getting in.  Maybe for better E/W balance.  But they need 23 teams to vote for the proposal, so having 22 teams play, gets you just one vote shy of what's needed.

Knix of course not invited to play.
BTW, 2 more losses and we'd have the 2nd worst record, instead of the 6th worst.
Good thing we brought in all those vet F to take minutes away from our yute ...
I would have played Mitch and Knox more, though Mitch was foul prone, Knox didn't play well, and Portis is a fairly young vet at 25.  And Morris, when we had him, was the only bright spot (well, along with Mitch when he was on).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: June 03, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »

As were the Gus Johnson vs. Debusschere match-ups taking place at the same time.

All brutal but clean as a whistle.  No trash-talking or whining to the refs.  Totally different sport then. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

chipstern

• View Profile
EPIC
« Reply #12264 on: June 03, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »

As were the Gus Johnson vs. Debusschere match-ups taking place at the same time.

All brutal but clean as a whistle.  No trash-talking or whining to the refs.  Totally different sport then.

Gus vs Dave

Ab-So-FUCKING-Lutely

I was in a rush

Jack Marin vs. Bill Bradley

Earl Monroe Vs Walt Frazier

Kevin Loughery vs. Dick Barnett

Fucking

EPIC

Knicks Vs. Bullets
1970 Semi-Finals
Seven Games

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1970-nba-eastern-division-semifinals-bullets-vs-knicks.html

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: June 03, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »

Steve Stoute is not earning his keep.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: June 03, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: June 03, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

Word...Or Should I Say...TURD.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: June 03, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »

The Knicks are one of eight teams that won’t be included in the proposed restart at Disney’s Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Fla. But those teams may take part in a four-to-five team fall league and training camp to remain relevant in their respective markets, as ESPN reported has been discussed. The league doesn’t want teams going from March to December – when next season could start — without playing any games.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: EPIC
« Reply #12269 on: June 04, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »

Gus vs Dave

Ab-So-FUCKING-Lutely

I was in a rush

Jack Marin vs. Bill Bradley

Earl Monroe Vs Walt Frazier

Kevin Loughery vs. Dick Barnett

Fucking

EPIC

Knicks Vs. Bullets
1970 Semi-Finals
Seven Games

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1970-nba-eastern-division-semifinals-bullets-vs-knicks.html
Their conference finals the next season was also very competitive and exciting but an unpleasantly shocking ending.  I remember my Dad being devastated.   

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1971-nba-eastern-conference-finals-bullets-vs-knicks.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:49:07 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1844