Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964199 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Thibs
« Reply #16170 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »

This was a game we lose 99 times out of 100 over the past twenty years. 

TT is an interesting man.

It would appear that his response to the Toronto loss really fired up the Knicks on a level of...trust. 

Remember, how in his news conference Thibs took note of the good takeaways from that game, things that we did well. and how there was much for us to build on--as we were getting open looks through the kind of sharing and ball movement he preached, and that if you had a good shot, you had to take it, and that shots we were missing WOULD GO IN if we just stayed the course. 

Thibs took a diastrous performance, shrugged it of, and turned it into a teachable moment. 

THAT'S COACHING. 

He is transforming the culture.  MY GOD. 

He has raised the bar exceptionally high, and of all the plays last night, one that was particularly gratifying for me was a tenacious block by Kevin Knox, who hit all three of his shots in giving RJ's a breather on a night when he didn't have his legs under him, and only [ONLY] played 32 minutes, and Kevin played 16.  RJ neverthless had 5 boards, 3 steals, and a bllock.  In Quickley's 6 minute cameo, he had 2 assists. 

And while Thibs' trust and transformation in all-star Julius Randle has been the most obvious, Kiid's dubious told-you-so sneering about IQ notwithstanding, Thibs' influence on Elfrid Payton has been significant.  Elfrid took his threepoint clankers when he was open, as per Thibs' no-guitl philosophy, otherwise, competely outplayed Mike Conley, and was 10-15 with all of those sweet forays into the paint, plus 8 assists and only 1 turnover in a team leading 42 minutes. 

Thus Obi and Quickley have a palpable gold standard for what is expected of them, and how high the bar is, with Julius and Elfrid.  THIS IS A GOOD THING.  Not a redundacy, and raises the bar for vets and puppies alike. 

Thibs always liked vets, and short rotations, so in an odd way, the spate of injuries that we and most of the NBA have experienced, has been oddly beneficient to Thibs.

Noels, Burks and Obi (and perhaps Frank and Omari) can see their pathway to growth AND minutes in the dedication and discipline of Austin Rivers, who famously enraged his poor wife, missing him off of a long road trip when on his Tuesday day off, much to her chagrin, he made his way to the gym for extra shooting and conditioning, being reward with minutes by Thibs, and likewise responding with one of the great performances in Knicks history [SERIOUSLY].

Hahn spoke of how he felt that Austin was misused, a bad fit in Houston, as he needs to have the ball in his hand to do his thing, and both Harden and Westbrook were so ball dominant. 

Well, Austin Rivers raised the bar for Knicks fans and himself, and has backed it up.  Tyreese Haliburton?  God bless.  Great kid, real talent.  DJ, Rondo, Teague.  Solid vets, but....man, did Rose ever pull a rabbit our of his hat with Austin--great pickup, great contract. 

Elfrid & RJ.  Austin & Quick.  Potentially Frank & Burks.  And sundry combos thererof, not excluding Reggie Bullock, who also played a solid two-way game last night.   

We have won on the road, we have defended our home turf. 

We have beaten playoff teams the likes of Milwaukee, Atlanta, Indiana and Utah.  Hell, we were in the game against Toronto, up until we could not overcome our nightmarish shooting in the second half. 

PS: Randle Haters?  How DO You LIKE Our All Star Now?  23.1/12/7.4.  Want to focus on his 4.9 turnovers?  Of course you do.  Gimme a break.  As Hahn indicated, whether he is a path to another all-star aquisition for a long term keeper, a WIN-WIN for the Knicks.  Hahn referenced how in Knicks history, Walt Bellamy was a great player, a Hall of Famer, who was not an optimum fit with Willis, and the trade for Dave DeBusshere was transformative.  Different situation now, with Mitchell who scored 9, with 13 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks and only 2 fouls in 41 [FOURTY ONE] minutes.  At this point, I do believe Thibs would count himself pleased with Julius AND Mitchell, and not inclined to offer them up on the trading block.  Julius has responded to Thibs' challenge by arriving in the best shape of his life, taking the mantle of leadership Thibs conferred on him, on and off the floor, playing like an All-Star and leading like a Captain.  And last night we saw similar leadership by Elfrid and Austin.  DAMN. 

PPS: OKC, Denver, Charlotte and Brooklyn beckon over the next week.  Some serious challenges. 

PPPS: Go Knicks. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:11:26 PM by chipstern »

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #16171 on: January 07, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »

Just a quick stop post-I feel good for you guys, it seems you have something real to cheer for and get excited about after years of banging your heads against the wall.

Its a good distraction in these fucking insane times.

But I don't kid myself, I expect as the Knicks emerge into the sunlight, the old scars from the past, mostly healed (fucking '73-heh) will ache once more, and the Knicks-Celts becomes a tough ticket and must-see-TV. Which is the way it should be.

Enjoy!

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »

Just a quick stop post-I feel good for you guys, it seems you have something real to cheer for and get excited about after years of banging your heads against the wall.

But I don't kid myself, I expect as the Knicks emerge into the sunlight, the old scars from the past, mostly healed (fucking '73-heh) will ache once more, and the Knicks-Celts becomes a tough ticket and must-see-TV. Which is the way it should be.

Enjoy!

Celtics on the parquet at 1PM on Sunday the 17th.  Be fun to have a meaningful mano a mano steel cage match after all these years where the Knicks are not a patsy. 

PS: Payton Pritchard working out nicely for Coach Brad. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: January 07, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »

Enjoy!

Celtics on the parquet at 1PM on Sunday the 17th.  Be fun to have a meaningful mano a mano steel cage match after all these years where the Knicks are not a patsy. 

PS: Payton Pritchard working out nicely for Coach Brad.

The guy can play-he may not be a star, but his court sense is pretty high and he seems to get the flow of the game. I've been watching his + - and in almost all of the  games (which generally have been tight games) he's delivering "+" minutes. I'm still waiting for the league to throw some wrinkles at him and see how he adjusts, but so far way more than expected.

chipstern

• View Profile
Facil Alerts
« Reply #16174 on: January 07, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »

Bigs On The Radar.

Interesting piece in the Post by Berman. 

Omari reported out of shape.  Noels is reportedly not happy with his situation.  Denying it, but there it is.  Fired his agent in mid-December. 

Apparently both Taj Gibson AND Tyson Chandler are on the Knicks' radar. 

Can't keep playing Julius and Mitch 40+Plus a night. 

We shall see. 

Omari, Nerlens, Brazdeikis, Dennis could all be on a bus out of town. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: January 07, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »

Omari reported out of shape.  Noels is reportedly not happy with his situation.  Denying it, but there it is.  Fired his agent in mid-December.

"Omari is FAT"

- Kidcarter8
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: January 07, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »

Pritchard

No "wrinkles" to really throw at a guy who stands in the corner

He is hitting close to 60% of his 2 pt attempts when he gets them.  This is excellent.  And the expected (though maybe not 87% good) excellent FT%

Even with Theiss in OFF-DEF +/- at -3, better than only G Williams among guys that get decent minutes.  110 OFF, 113 DEF, Williams 107 and 113 - Teague just a tick better at 107 and 109

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2021.html

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: January 07, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »

New York's respective league executives of the Year

LEON ROSE and SANDY ALDERSON

chipstern

• View Profile
Come Out Come Out Wherever You Are
« Reply #16178 on: January 07, 2021, 03:38:58 PM »

Pharoah.  You Okay?

Your trenchant analysis is called for. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: January 07, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »

The most interesting thing is the pairing of Randle and Mitch working well.
Mitch blocking and disrupting layups.  Randle grabbing every board.  14 rebounds per last 6 games.  I said before the season that was a key dynamic -- whether they could be an effective tandem.  Early so far, but a lot of teams aren't even taking it inside against them, opting to jack 3's.  Which turns things into make/miss jump shooting and generates few FT's and helps Mitch stay out of foul trouble.

I'm not sure why teams don't put Randle in PnR's more and make him guard PG's on the perimeter on switches.  Randle is playing 40 mins a night and is our main fulcrum on O.  Why not wear him down more?

If you want to look for a Randle flaw, it's 2-19 on 3's in 4 January games.  Just like his 9-11 streak right before that, it'll balance out.  But you really don't want Randle and Elf hoisting many 3's.  And Randle isn't going to get his legs under him playing 40 mins a night.

I don't mind Randle's turnovers, since they're in the cause of team play and ball movement. Last year, he'd blindly spin into a double or triple team on dispiriting solo forays.  Also there's a clear path to cutting Randles turnovers down, by lowering his minutes some in the short term, and getting an orchestrating PG in the long term.

This "Hater" stuff is almost always dumb.  I've said before that if you want to build around Randle, fine, then find a 3&D SF and a PG.  I doubt winning is sustainable when your starting unit can't make 3's (just low-key RegBullox).
While your PF is your main facilitator, and your PG can't hit 3's off the ball.  And if we're going with Randle, then the ObiT pick is questionable, though I guess it was hedging our bets.  If Randle, RJB & Mitch are your core, then you need shooters at PG and SF.

For me, the two biggest takeaways are Randle and Mitch so far being a solid interior pairing.  Which is necessary if we plan to keep both.
The other nice surprise is Quickly, and especially the Quickly/Rivers pairing. 
Lastly, Elf has been real good lately, though 17 / 5  / 5 on 50% shooting isn't going to last.  But it's good to see him lobbing to Mitch, scoring on determined drives and using a floater nicely as well.

So far the Knix have been competitive.  2 or 3 of the W's could have been L's.  Coming back from 15+ down isn't easy or sustainable.
But at least the outlines of a future are there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:54:29 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: January 07, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »

Kyrie out tonight vs Philly

"Personal reasons"

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: January 07, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

Was Joe Ingles out last night?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: January 07, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »

Kyrie's tapeworm told him it was an inauspicious day.

Though another rumor has it that it was a sage overdose.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: January 07, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »

Ingles played, just not all that effectively.

Omari out & Taj back it looks like, to beef up our front line.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: January 07, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »

Was Joe Ingles out last night?

Wait - wait! Dont yell at me.  I can look it up.
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1851