Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964605 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #20160 on: August 21, 2021, 01:44:22 PM »

This one's for Chip (he appreciates home grown) and Bo (to research)

I posted this elsewhere.

TL's (Elba edit TimeLord) extension along with Smart's got me to pondering (always dangerous) and by my count brings to 8 the homegrown 1st round draft picks on this team. This is almost study worthy, but given FA, the salary cap, and player movement, there can't be too many contender quality NBA teams over the past 40 years (Red's 60s and 70s championships teams were almost all homegrown, with some notable exceptions: Nelson, Howell, Embry, Silas) built almost entirely with 1st round picks.

Whether PBS (EE-Pres Brad) and Coach U find that success remains to be seen, but PBS was CBS and should have a decent handle on chemistry, and which non-draft Celts (Al and Enes) are good fits. But as a long time C's fan, I kind of like it.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: August 21, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »

Interesting

But you just have to feel a deal is coming (Smart was dangled for a long time before the extension)

Brad - (unless Celts go out 24-12) - you are ON THE CLOCK.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: August 21, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »

Smart's been rumored as tradeable for years but IMO they're mostly hot take/click bait. I've never seen enough smoke to think anything was close to imminent. I could however see him as part of the next big deal though (Beal??) as the Cs could still use a more traditional PG and Marcus in my mind is more 6th man middle-linebacker special teams guy.

And I don't know what time zone your in, but I think Brad's got a lot of time to structure the team that he envisions.

chipstern

• View Profile
First Rounders
« Reply #20163 on: August 21, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »

First rounders don't always pan out. 

Sixers had Embid and Simmons, but they also had Okafor, Fultz, Noel. 

Knicks once passed on Nate Thurmond to take Art Heyman. 

But then had a run of excellent luck: 1964, Willis Reed [2], Howie Komives [2]; 1965, Bill Bradley [1], Dave Stallworth [1], Dick Van Arsdale [2]; 1966, Cazzie Russell [1]; 1967, Walt Frazier [1], Phil Jackson [2]

Komives and Walt Bellamy brought us Dave DeB, Cazzie Jerry Lucas, while Stallworht  and Mike Riordan brought back Ear Mnoroe.  We lost Van Arsdale in the expansion draft. 

Over the past 20 years, we traded away many of our best draft picks, such as Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye, David Lee, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler.  We also rolled the dice and came up craps on Weis, Sweetney, Hill, Balkman, Ntilikina. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: August 21, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »

Smart's been rumored as tradeable for years but IMO they're mostly hot take/click bait. I've never seen enough smoke to think anything was close to imminent. I could however see him as part of the next big deal though (Beal??) as the Cs could still use a more traditional PG and Marcus in my mind is more 6th man middle-linebacker special teams guy.

And I don't know what time zone your in, but I think Brad's got a lot of time to structure the team that he envisions.

Beal?

Lavine?

Lillard? 

Click Bait Wet Dreams. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: August 21, 2021, 02:22:08 PM »

Wow

Bank ill-informed (on Smart deals)

I am surprised

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: August 21, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »

Wow

Bank ill-informed (on Smart deals)

I am surprised

Kid- I don't pay as much attention to clickbait as you do.

Nor do I have the access to the late night deal negotiations and 3-team conference calls you get buzzed in on.

You'll have to share your call notes.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:29:53 PM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20167 on: August 21, 2021, 02:31:02 PM »

Smart in deal for Antonio
Smart for Wiseman
Smart for a lottery pick (2020)
Smart for 2 first rounders (this year)

etc
etc
etc

Should have taken HARDEN + for Jaylen, Smart +

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: August 21, 2021, 02:33:26 PM »

POSITIVE Stevens isnt just rolling with this group

They will be pretty good most nights

But the East seems wide open, given the teams having so much trouble staying healthy

Damn - even Hawks could sneak in, Heat BACK in - after MIL, BKN, PHI

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: August 21, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »

Fuck - you know INDY and Carlisle are looking top 4 as a goal as well.

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: First Rounders
« Reply #20170 on: August 21, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »

[/quote]

But then had a run of excellent luck: 1964, Willis Reed [2], Howie Komives [2]; 1965, Bill Bradley [1], Dave Stallworth [1], Dick Van Arsdale [2]; 1966, Cazzie Russell [1]; 1967, Walt Frazier [1], Phil Jackson [2]

Komives and Walt Bellamy brought us Dave DeB, Cazzie Jerry Lucas, while Stallworht  and Mike Riordan brought back Ear Mnoroe.  We lost Van Arsdale in the expansion draft. 

Over the past 20 years, we traded away many of our best draft picks, such as Trevor Ariza, Channing Frye, David Lee, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler.  We also rolled the dice and came up craps on Weis, Sweetney, Hill, Balkman, Ntilikina.

1st rounders don't always pan out, but having 8 is unusual and most are under control for years, (Tatum Brown, Smart, TL, for several years, Prichard, Romeo, Nesmith, G Williams for 2+ more) which suggests Brad, likes the youth, talent and chemistry of this group. And he brought in Al and Enes for size and clubhouse stuff.

Having said that I could see packaging Smart and some other recent 1st rounders/ or picks if someone attractive comes available.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:44:26 PM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: August 21, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »

Smart in deal for Antonio
Smart for Wiseman
Smart for a lottery pick (2020)
Smart for 2 first rounders (this year)

etc
etc
etc

Should have taken HARDEN + for Jaylen, Smart +

HEH

clickbait

just because some moron on the web wrote a wetdream trade scenario doesn't compel me to give it credence.

I think there was a Jaylen plus 3 1s for Butler trade (Bulls) kicked around that the Celts passed on.

I'm not a Harden fan.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: August 21, 2021, 02:43:24 PM »

Having said that I could see packaging Smart and some other recent 1st rounders/ or picks if someone attractive comes available.

Well, no

Smart is your to keep now.

Jaylen in a deal for a stud could happen

More likely three lesser guys go for a vet with not much left on deal

Horford and Schroder were excellent adds.  I dont think 24-12 - somewhere near there early - is out of the question.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:45:06 PM by kidcarter8 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: August 21, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »

Well, no

Smart is your to keep now.

Jaylen in a deal for a stud could happen

More likely three lesser guys go for a vet with not much left on deal

Horford and Schroder were excellent adds.  I dont think 24-12 - somewhere near there early - is out of the question.

LMAO

kid after telling me all the deals that you negotiated for Smart, you now say its unlikely he could be traded?

Kid right now the Celts have a young teams with 8 1st round picks, including 2 recent all-stars and a 1st team defensive team player.

That's not a bad core to add 5 more young 1st rounders to.

Or as an option to have to consider packaging some combo for another all-star calibre player.

YMMV

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: First Rounders
« Reply #20174 on: August 21, 2021, 03:11:31 PM »

1st rounders don't always pan out, but having 8 is unusual and most are under control for years, (Tatum Brown, Smart, TL, for several years, Prichard, Romeo, Nesmith, G Williams for 2+ more) which suggests Brad, likes the youth, talent and chemistry of this group. And he brought in Al and Enes for size and clubhouse stuff.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263911/Robert-Williams-Celtics-Agree-To-Four-Year-$54M-Extension
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1851