Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 ... 1851

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 964515 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
More MUSINGS On Donovan
« Reply #24270 on: July 13, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »

Anyone who manages to pry Mitchell from Ainge at this point likely makes their team worse in the aggregate. I would like it to be someone else if anyone. Miami is fine. If that deal is cooking, I hope we are being used to junk up the price.

Would agree with FACIL as a Knicks booster, that if the price is RJ, OBI and IQ + _______?

No sale. 

I mean, could the 6'5" Quentin Grimes prove as significant a talent, offensively, defensively, and as a facilitator, as the 6'1" Donovan a year or two down the road?  A tall Tall TALL order, but while he ain't vaguely at a Donovan level presently, he certainly appears up to the challenge of winning the 2-spot and turning Fournier into a sixth man [let alone Cam, if we keep him]. 

A deal similar to the Minny deal for Gobert would not disturb me, so long as we can keep our core together, and not sunder chemistry.  We have an investment of both time AND spirit in RJ, Obi and IQ.  They are KNICKS, and have earned the right to move forward, and be part of a theoretical KNICKS ascension, this being Mitchell's FIFTH season, Julius & RJ's FOURTH season, the THIRD season for Obi & IQ, the SECOND season for Jericho, Quentin & Deuce [and Cam]. 

When...

WHEN?

When was the last time we had such a young squad, and year to year, season after season of continuity and DIDN'T EAT OUR YOUTH? 

Rod Strickland for Mo Cheeks anyone?  Dumping Trevor Ariza and David Lee?  Going all in on Melo when the price included Gallinari and Chandler and one of our last PGs of note, Felton, PLUS TWO, count 'em, TWO #1 Picks [one of which translated into PG par excellence Jamal Murray]?  The #1 picks we sundered for Eddy Curry, which turned into LaMarcus Aldrdige and Joachim Noah?  The #1 picks which went bye bye in the Marbury trade, one of which turned into Gordon Hayward? Punting on the #8 draft pick and offloading an ascendant Marcus Camby + an opportunity to draft Amare Stoudamire for the sweet temptation and instant gratification that was Antonio McDyess?

HELLO   

When was the last time we didn't eat our youth, mortgage our future, go all in for shiny objects and Re-UP our own developmental players, such as...MITCHELL ROBINSON. 

Mind you, I'm not making out our core of youth to be the last word in talent, but one cannot overstate the value of Year-By-Year coherence and chemistry, individual and collective GROWTH, and THAT is SIGNIFICANT. 

PS: Julius is surely on the clock, and can certainly make a case for himself after a desultory third season.  But Dig: EVERYTHING was messed up in 2021-22, not just Julius

PPS: We are also going to see what Thibs has under the hood, because with the addition of Brunson and Hartenstein, TT has his PG and a big who can stretch and shoot and pass and defend, and is surely on the clock as well, in terms of his vision on both DEFENSE & OFFENSE, and having the pieces to fully implement his vision. NO EXCUSES. We are seeing some of his signature defensive tenacity translate into the summer league puppies.  Offense?  STAY TUNED.   

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:49:29 PM by chipstern »

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #24271 on: July 13, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »

Donovan is not a "shiny object."

He's a fierce, super talented 25-year old NBA star.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #24272 on: July 13, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »

RJ may be a star in the making.

Or he might just be a quite a nice NBA player.

No one knows.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #24273 on: July 13, 2022, 06:53:23 PM »

Agree.  He is a great competitor, a signficant talent and a high character cat. 

Unquestionably.

If the cost is RJ Barrett?  Let alone Obi and IQ. 

Fuck him.  And Ainge, too. 

If the cost is Fournier and Rose and three-or four #1 picks? 

Welcome to NY. 

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #24274 on: July 13, 2022, 06:55:36 PM »

I hear you about RJ though.

It would be fucking great to see them playing together.

chipstern

• View Profile
NOT A DIG
« Reply #24275 on: July 13, 2022, 06:59:23 PM »

No one knows.

He's a KNICK, and has played like a committed, on the rise KNICK. 

From the inception.  Does that not count for SOMETHING?

You gonna write off last season.  Twenty points a game on this team with no fucking point, and all we can muster is quite nice. 

We disagree, Brother E.   And that mindset, of the grass being greener, never mind the manifest dedication and progress a 21 year old made in his third season,  is what I mean by the pursuit of shiny objects. 

Look at RJ's ascension and that of Jimmy Butler, who went from nice to DAWG in his fourth year. 

Also, I think Thibs would be disinclined to offload RJ, as he epitomizes what coach looks for in a competitor. 

Not a dig on Donovan Mitchell

A Brunson/Mitchell back court would be a little on the short side, but highly combustible, let alone with RJ at the three as their swiss army knife/attack dawg. 

We shall see. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:01:00 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24276 on: July 13, 2022, 08:30:32 PM »

Bravo.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24277 on: July 13, 2022, 10:58:56 PM »

Agree.  He is a great competitor, a signficant talent and a high character cat. 

Unquestionably.

If the cost is RJ Barrett?  Let alone Obi and IQ. 

Fuck him.  And Ainge, too. 

If the cost is Fournier and Rose and three-or four #1 picks? 

Welcome to NY.

Always have to put yourself in the shoes of the other GM

You havent done that here
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24278 on: July 14, 2022, 01:30:40 AM »

According to reports the CAA fuckery is all involved in bringing Mitchell to NY. I am now very worried about how this might go down.

I can live with Fournier, Rose, and either Deuce or IQ plus picks. Hard to argue that would not make us better.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: NOT A DIG
« Reply #24279 on: July 14, 2022, 01:21:50 PM »

No one knows.

He's a KNICK, and has played like a committed, on the rise KNICK. 

From the inception.  Does that not count for SOMETHING?

You gonna write off last season.  Twenty points a game on this team with no fucking point, and all we can muster is quite nice. 

We disagree, Brother E.   And that mindset, of the grass being greener, never mind the manifest dedication and progress a 21 year old made in his third season,  is what I mean by the pursuit of shiny objects. 

Look at RJ's ascension and that of Jimmy Butler, who went from nice to DAWG in his fourth year. 

Also, I think Thibs would be disinclined to offload RJ, as he epitomizes what coach looks for in a competitor. 

Not a dig on Donovan Mitchell

A Brunson/Mitchell back court would be a little on the short side, but highly combustible, let alone with RJ at the three as their swiss army knife/attack dawg. 

We shall see.

YOU ARE GIVING 30 MIL A YEAR TO A PLAAYER WHOSE HIGH PER IS 13.7.  THINK FOR A MINUTE.

No knock on BARRETT.    His contractual needs vs his positive effect on winning is the problem.  He is best as third/fourth best player on a team.

Sadly, now with just the one year left RJ's value is LOWER than when I wanted to deal him earlier.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:23:32 PM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24280 on: July 14, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »

Stat for the day

R J Barrett was not in the top 20 in FG attempted.   But he was in the top TEN in FG missed.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24281 on: July 14, 2022, 01:33:53 PM »

And EVERY player that took 17 shots per game averaged 20+.  RJ is in that groupp.  Good for him.

SIX of the 27 players averaging 20+ did it in less than 17 shots.

chipstern

• View Profile
YIKES
« Reply #24282 on: July 14, 2022, 01:35:34 PM »

According to reports the CAA fuckery is all involved in bringing Mitchell to NY. I am now very worried about how this might go down.

I can live with Fournier, Rose, and either Deuce or IQ plus picks. Hard to argue that would not make us better.

I am positively terrified that The KNICKS are going to give away the store. 

Maybe not RJ, but some combination of Grimes, Reddish, IQ, Obi...minimally

I don't care about "draft capital" to be sure. 

But this is a game of chicken between Perry & Ainge, to see who blinks first. 

The tribal drumbeat of idiot Knicks fans and media clowns like Vaccaro in the POST, asserting that we HAVE TO GIVE UP R.J. is so infantile, so instant gratification, so completely bereft of understanding RJ's growth curve and game.   

Again, DONOVAN MITCHELL is surely a game changer, and clearly what RJ and [AND] Julius need to ascend to their next level ARE BETTER PLAYERS, players who can rudder the offense, command defensive attention, create their own shots and do likewise for others. 

I believe, oddly enough, as per Kiid, that no, I am NOT PUTTING MYSELF in Ainge's head, but as per Facil, looking at the numbers, picks, and some combo of Fournier, Rose And ______, plus picks. 

I suspect the Knicks would be willing to give up Reddish and/or IQ, less inclined to give up Grimes or Obi, completely discinclined to part with RJ. 

SURELY a Brunson/Mitchell backcourt would be the bomb, and render either some of our current backcourt...REDUNDANT.  Least ways in terms of rotation minutes. 

Rose, McBride
Quickley, Grimes
Fournier, Reddish

Can Perry stare down Ainge? 

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #24283 on: July 14, 2022, 02:31:36 PM »

I'm not assuming that the deal will go through it all.

But if so, we're on the verge of having a much better team.

Course there will be a price. It's not just about giving Utah draft picks and players we don't like.

I love IQ and OB. And I think Grimes can really be something. But, yeah, if they're part of the deal, they're part of the deal.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #24284 on: July 14, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »

I'm not assuming that the deal will go through it all.

But if so, we're on the verge of having a much better team.

Course there will be a price. It's not just about giving Utah draft picks and players we don't like.

I love IQ and OB. And I think Grimes can really be something. But, yeah, if they're part of the deal, they're part of the deal.

I'm sorry, but if IQ AND OB are traded, I am not a happy camper. 
Pages: 1 ... 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 ... 1851