Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 900295 times)

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »

Ntilikina still feels like more of a 2 than a 1 to me. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »

Ntilikina still feels like more of a 2 than a 1 to me. And there's nothing wrong with that.

He has more/better true PG instincts than Mudiay or Burke IMO.

If i'm wrong about Frank i'll admit it, but one chaotic season ( Chief Backer in the org who just drafted you is gone, head coach doesn't have the time to develop you as he is on the block next ) where the team signed two veterans in front of you, (one new starter comes into the locker room after just three games), then traded for your putative replacement (who sucks btw) isn't enough time to formulate an opinion that he can't do that job he was drafted to do. No, not ready to predict his future as a non-PG.

Last season was a case study in how to turn a Quarter into three Nickles.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:44:35 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

As if starters' minutes will be any easier to come by with Burke, Baker and Mudiay vying for floortime.

I know getting the minutes will be tough for him.  This is what I have contended.

If anything, its Burke who is more on an Iverson-ish SG.  Trade Lee and give Burke backup minutes behind former college teammate Hardaway Jr.

Let Frank and Mudiay platoon the PG.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »

A heavy diet of pick up ball with NBA vets, strength & conditioning plus skills work is going to be more helpful to Frank in adjusting his playing style to be optimized for the NBA than international play in Euro style by FIBA rules. Getting time in w players on the team is also very positive and will take some of the hesitation that cost Frank last year out of his game.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

A heavy diet of pick up ball with NBA vets, strength & conditioning plus skills work is going to be more helpful to Frank in adjusting his playing style to be optimized for the NBA than international play in Euro style by FIBA rules. Getting time in w players on the team is also very positive and will take some of the hesitation that cost Frank last year out of his game.

That may be the case.

Not so much timorous as overly deferential at times. 

Also, when Frank was paired against the likes of Ball, Smith, Fox, he played well. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Manu Ginobli
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »

From the #57 pick in the second round to the Hall Of Fame. 

What a great, great competitor. 

No one more respected among his opponents, be it the Euro-Step or just the profile of a winner. 

Thanks for all the luster, sans the bluster. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:54:14 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »

As if starters' minutes will be any easier to come by with Burke, Baker and Mudiay vying for floortime.

I know getting the minutes will be tough for him.  This is what I have contended.

If anything, its Burke who is more on an Iverson-ish SG.  Trade Lee and give Burke backup minutes behind former college teammate Hardaway Jr.

Let Frank and Mudiay platoon the PG.

Certainly one possible way to go - though when Burke was effective last year he was on the ball.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »

He has more/better true PG instincts than Mudiay or Burke IMO.

If i'm wrong about Frank i'll admit it, but one chaotic season ( Chief Backer in the org who just drafted you is gone, head coach doesn't have the time to develop you as he is on the block next ) where the team signed two veterans in front of you, (one new starter comes into the locker room after just three games), then traded for your putative replacement (who sucks btw) isn't enough time to formulate an opinion that he can't do that job he was drafted to do. No, not ready to predict his future as a non-PG.

Last season was a case study in how to turn a Quarter into three Nickles.

He was drafted to play in the Triangle, not to play point guard.

I don't put too much stock into having to play the position for which you were drafted. Boris Diaw came into the league as a 2 and languished until he became a damn 5. Draymond Green was viewed as a 3, not as history altering 5. Iverson and Penny were drafted as point guards, Shawn Marion as a small forward, even Michael Jordan came into the L with uncertainty over whether he'd be a 1, 2, or a 3 (granted, different era and a tough comparison).

Point being - aside from Diaw, those guys didn't fail at their initial positions. Better fits were discovered.

I think Ntilikina's best position is next to a guard who creates for self and others. Usually, that's a point guard, sometimes it's James Harden or (sniff sniff) Manu Ginobili. For us, it will hopefully be RJ Barrett. But, today, I see Ntilikina looking like his best fit when he's sharing the back-court with Trey Burke. They'll share duties of bringing the ball up or leading fast breaks, but Burke would handle the rock more.

Not discounting that Ntilikina can eventually grow into that. Just feels he can contribute more as a 2 right now. Nothing wrong with that.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »

Rajon Rondo is a PG who doesn't think me first and create for himself. 

His strength isn't Shooting, it's QB'ing the team.

He's got a ring.

That's the template.

A pocket passing QB.

Neither Rajon nor Frank would fit better at SG than PG.

Most of your best examples were small-ball bigs.

Frank aint that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:52:28 PM by Kam »

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 28, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »

Who said think "me first"? Rondo creates for others.

Ntilikina has not shown that he's anything like Rondo. Wrong template. Rondo had incredible vision and patience, and he was bold when he needed to be. That ain't Frank.

I'd even add that Rondo is more selfish than Frank.

Frank is a George Hill type - a bit more athletic, hopefully, certainly more energetic, and if we're lucky a better spot up shooter. Maybe he develops the off-the-bounce game Hill never did (if he does, watch out). But his game, as far as we've seen, is nothing like Rondo. I think you completely missed my point (for example, I don't think it is relevant that the examples you liked best were small ball bigs, both because I had several guards on the list and because I simply was pointing out that views on fit often change in the early years of a prospect's career).

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:04:20 PM by thebizneverloses »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »

A good take on another aspect of our backcourt situation,

http://theknickswall.com/emmanuel-mudiay-longevity-question-knicks/
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »

Fiz taking advance credit for Mudiay's strong season

Lame.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »

Come on Kid, the article said Mudiay has a chance to rise as high as 4th guard, behind Hardaway, Burke, and Ntilikina, if he beats out Courtney Lee who may not even stay with the team. If he’s really changed his work ethic and honed his focus, he can achieve more. A Lance Stephenson backcourt bully off the bench role may be what he needs to aim for as a somewhat achievable career goal, rather than starting or star pg.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2018, 03:46:41 AM »

Fiz taking advance credit for Mudiay's strong season

Lame.

Speaking of lame, Fizdale did nothing of the sort. 

Just read the article, and of course, you completely misrepresent its conclusions and Fizdale's attempt to build up the kid's confidence and provide a nurturing support system. 

But then, handicapper that you are, seem to have already concluded with Biblical certitude that Ntilikina is a bust and that Mudiay is the putative starter. 

We shall see, won't we. 

I'm with Facil, here, and that for EM's immediate future something akin to an Avery Bradley/Rozier energizer role off the bench might be something to consider.  The highlights of his 24 point first quarter with Denver against the Celtics on their home court was a tantalizing hint at what EM might provide if he gets into a sustainable rhythm.  His inside/outside game was certainly clicking.  And while his offensive confidence was impressive--using his big body in the blocks, moving without the ball, and his jumper clicking off the dribble--what was absent from this particular highlight reel was any sense of command as a facilitator. 

Have to believe that Mudiay will get every opportunity to impress. 

Also, given how crowded the back court is, and projecting Burke, Hardaway, Ntilikina and Mudiay as rotation front runners, where does this leave Dotson, let alone Baker and Trier, not to mention the likely departure of Courtney Lee, who could be a terrific addition to a contender out West.  Hard to see a match or any draft picks or ending contracts coming our way. 

Scott Perry's ability to create a deal for Lee, and get some sort of assets in return, will be a signature move coming into the new season. 

Have to figure, given the glut of two way players in the back court, that Fizdale will relent on his desire to match up with size and length, and go with some three-guard alignments, to find added floor time for Hardaway and Dotson.  Trier looks to spend considerable time in Westchester unless he knocks everyone's socks off in training camp.  Knicks seem to still have some sort of expectation of Baker fulfilling a role, though at this time, it is difficult to discern.   

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »

LOL, if Mudiay has the first strong season of his career, FIZ can have all the credit he wants...

{AND if this site keeps making me do some kind of CAPTCHA VERIFICATION AND TRIVIA QUIZ to allow me to post, before EACH post, I will be posting about once a year)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:18:14 AM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1844