Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 908150 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2018, 11:48:23 AM »

Burke ended the season as clearly the most assertive directing traffic and setting things up also getting to the shot he wanted and finishing. Turning himself into a pull up reliably from anywhere guy,

So do you start Burke because he is the furthest along?  or do you slot him in as the backup PG which is where he projects when the Knix have a genuine team?  And try to develop Mud and/or Franc as the starting PG? 

I'd go the latter route.
I'd choose Franc since he's young, more malleable and we need defense among the starters (Hardaway/Kanter/probably rook Knox).

But another option is go with Mud since this is his last year to prove out.  And Franc is a better off guard option, so can fill both roles.
Give Mud every op to be a legit starting PG, allow him to work through mistakes.  Go with it for half the season.  And then when KZ is coming back, evaluate if Mud has developed enough to remain the starter, or if it's Franc's turn.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »

Clyde:  "I grade (Durant) down......"

Sure - why wouldn't you?

But soon, with all the talent surrounding LBJ, Frazier will need to knock James down a notch as well - unless - unlike what has been reported - LBJ still domninates the rock and runs the show as he did in CLE

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

If Burke still seems furthest along in camp of the pgs, then the question is do Frank or EM seem like they are making progress and that one will ultimately get there. If so start the kid and run Burke as super sub. If the coaches don’t have confidence that Frank and EM have or will shortly turn the corner, then I think you start Burke so everyone else we are trying to develop can have the benefit of a competent pg. I Frankly expect Frankie to show enough growth to win the starting spot. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 30, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »

David West retires.
Nice career.
Tough guy.
Wrenched out Melo's shoulder one time.
Good mid-range J.

I remember the late part of that (LBJ/Melo/Wade/Bosh) draft.
After a mid-round run of Guards, there were 3 PF's said to be intriguing:  David West, Brian Cook and Mario Austin.
Supposedly NO was choosing between them.

West went #18, Cook 23, Austin dropped to 37.
West made a couple all-star teams, became a leader, and very solid on both ends.  Cook had a decent career but no standout skill.  Kind of West-lite, with an acceptable midrange J and okay boarding.  Austin had a weird go of it.  Somehow wound up with a collapsed lung and next thing was playing in Russia.  Never stepped on an NBA court.

Not being a draft guy or college follower I had no idea which of the 3 was best.  Not sure why that sticks in my head from 15 years back, except that I wanted to keep an eye on how it panned out.  Fairly big difference in outcomes.  The draft got it right. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 30, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »

Btw, that 2003 draft had some weirdness to it.
Darko taken #3.  Guy had a great physique and not much character.
Collected a paycheck for 10 years (just 463 games) totaling $52M.
Believe it or not, but Darko just turned 33 this Summer.

Jarvis Hayes #10 pick was said to be similar to Wade (#5 pick)
Troy Bell #16 pick had a 34 minute career.
Knick fans were excited somehow we got both Sweetney (#9 pick) and Magic Lampe (#31).  And somehow they both stunk.

Minny had a pick reinstated after being barred from the draft the previous 3 years due to the illegal Joe Smith signing.  So they drafted a skinny high school kid Ndubi Ebi (86 minute career) #26.  The next 3 players drafted all had 10+ year careers.

Speaking of, the 2nd round had 9 players who played 10 or more years.
Possibly a record.  Korver (and Zaza?) still going.
And 11 who never played in the NBA.
Plus 3 more who had a 2 game or less Nba career (including Knick 2nd rounder Slavko Vranes.  7'5" and a 3 minute career).

Very interesting draft.  One of my faves.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 30, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »

Burke ended the season as clearly the most assertive directing traffic and setting things up also getting to the shot he wanted and finishing. Turning himself into a pull up reliably from anywhere guy,

So do you start Burke because he is the furthest along?  or do you slot him in as the backup PG which is where he projects when the Knix have a genuine team?  And try to develop Mud and/or Franc as the starting PG? 

I'd go the latter route.
I'd choose Franc since he's young, more malleable and we need defense among the starters (Hardaway/Kanter/probably rook Knox).

But another option is go with Mud since this is his last year to prove out.  And Franc is a better off guard option, so can fill both roles.
Give Mud every op to be a legit starting PG, allow him to work through mistakes.  Go with it for half the season.  And then when KZ is coming back, evaluate if Mud has developed enough to remain the starter, or if it's Franc's turn.

I think the only negative is that you have to spend cap cash next year to keep EM.

If you "develop" Frank, that's the cheap route.

(I put develop in parentheses because I dont believe in the word being used interchangeably with PLAY. Development could certainly be achieved in a bench - or even G League - role))

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 30, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »

Slavko Vranes

5th tallest to play in the NBA

STILL playing professionally.

3 time Adriatic Legue champ
3-time Serbian League champ
Montenegran League champion
Euro Cup winner in 2011

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 30, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »

Btw, that 2003 draft had some weirdness to it.
Darko taken #3.  Guy had a great physique and not much character.
Collected a paycheck for 10 years (just 463 games) totaling $52M.
Believe it or not, but Darko just turned 33 this Summer.

Jarvis Hayes #10 pick was said to be similar to Wade (#5 pick)
Troy Bell #16 pick had a 34 minute career.
Knick fans were excited somehow we got both Sweetney (#9 pick) and Magic Lampe (#31).  And somehow they both stunk.

Minny had a pick reinstated after being barred from the draft the previous 3 years due to the illegal Joe Smith signing.  So they drafted a skinny high school kid Ndubi Ebi (86 minute career) #26.  The next 3 players drafted all had 10+ year careers.

Speaking of, the 2nd round had 9 players who played 10 or more years.
Possibly a record.  Korver (and Zaza?) still going.
And 11 who never played in the NBA.
Plus 3 more who had a 2 game or less Nba career (including Knick 2nd rounder Slavko Vranes.  7'5" and a 3 minute career).

Very interesting draft.  One of my faves.

Lampe had a solid Euro Career. 

I remember that Dick Vitale was aghast that the Knicks passed on Nick Collison to take Michael Sweetney. 

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 30, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

Is anyone ready to label Frankie a bust and think the knix should move-on, limited offensive skills and not good at defending the three? Right now I keep Burke and EM.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »

There's room for all 3, Luee.

No.  Of course no such labels just yet.

I think 4 years is fair for the league to judge - though a player's first team might move on sooner.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »

"I understand how deep our team is," Tatum said. "I just care about winning and doing what I can while I’m on the floor." He said he's "definitely gotten a lot stronger" this offseason, but the Celtics might still be leery of starting their prized 20-year-old at PF out of the gates. With Gordon Hayward healthy and Marcus Morris as the incumbent starter at PF, it's conceivable that Tatum will fill a sixth-man role -- at least initially. Regardless, Boston will find ways to get him 30+ minutes per game.

I dont see it

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 30, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »

No, but 25 mpg is doable.

Link to the 2003 draft.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2003.html

Collison ended up with shoulder problems which pushed him to the bench and more into a limited role, iirc.

I saw Lampe last year in China in a close game, and he was fairly lazy on both ends.  He was The Man and bombed in some clutch 3's, but also failed to box out so that his man got a late rebound and layup, failed to run the floor and his man got an early offense layup.  I have no idea the context of his time in China, and assume he played harder in Euroland (pretty sure he was in Russia for some years).  What I saw, he showed a good deal of skills, but also bad habits.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 30, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »

The Magic Lampe. I had some hopes. Glad he’s doing ok.

Tatum could easily get 30 minutes platooning with Hayward and Brown. I don’t think any of those three have a real leg up for minutes compared to the other two. I expect Hayward to be babied along somewhat, at least to the All Star break.

We’re putting Knox, Mario, Hardaway, and Thomas up against those guys. It could get rough.

Does Kanter get to bang with Baynes or does Al send him to the bench with nimble outside play?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 31, 2018, 12:37:35 AM »

The Houston Rockets traded Ryan Anderson and De'Anthony Melton to the Phoenix Suns for Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight, league sources tell ESPN.

HOU needed a backup PG since CP3 misses some games.
Knight is expensive but not as much as RyAnderson.
Chriss can rebound and run the floor, but doesn't really have a game yet.  Raw.
Looks like HOU saves a few $M as well.

Not earth-shaking but looks like a very solid Ryno dump for HOU.
Adds a backup PG, gets to test drive a young pogo stick PF, save some money.

Not sure I see much point for PHX.
Do they even have a PG now?
(not much point, get it?)
Maybe it's to make up for the year when they had 3.
Ayton and Josh Jackson aren't going to do much without a PG.

I would've traded them Muddy for Chriss (I think).
I'd go with Marquese's bounciness over Vonleh's no offense.
On 2nd thought probably better to have Mud and Vonleh than Chriss.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:27 AM »

I’m with you there on the second thought.

Houston catches a break. Knight and Chriss will be good depth pieces for them.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 1847