Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 910686 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

The guy I am looking forward to seeing is Brad Wanamaker.  May be a real nice addition to their G rotation especially after Smahht depahts.

Not so down on Baynes as some of you.  Solid lunchpailer with underrated O skills.  And I do think Al is a pretty darn good 5 when asked to be.  Actually wish more teams would go BIG - hoping this small.......non positional trend dissipates.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 08, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »

blame in on the Bosa Nova and the 3-pointer

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 09, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »

I think the Celts get beaten up in the frontcourt this year by the Bucks, Bulls, Sixers, and Pistons among others. Al’s not getting any younger. Theis is alright, but Baynes, big as he is isn’t that good.

If there is a weakness its the 4 /5, but its relative to crazy depth (for now) the Celts have at at 3/4. Baynes added muscle and toughness and a tenacity on the boards that the Cs needed. And they held their own against most teams. Theis was showing real defensive skills before he was injured. Al is Al, and is not a 5. But he's way under-rated. he's a solid 2-way guy. And there is the new kid that if his alarm clock works might show something. And Jaylen Brown is turning into a 2-way monster that can be a PITA all over the court.   

I'm not too worried. Greek freak is a headache for everyone and Embiid is a match-up horror, but I've seen enough dominant 76ers centers lose to the Celts over the years.

Hoops is still a team game, where 1 on 5 usually doesnt win. and the Celts have bought into playing team D, the team is disciplined and deep (though a roster spot may be opening soon-Jabari Bird, google him) and are going to be a bitch to defend. I'm so looking forward to watching them play 2-way ball.

Yes, by all means GOOGLE Jabari Bird. 

Oh, are we being snarky?

Oh Chip you woke up from your nap, good.

I read your 5AM post earlier today and saw you were still sleepy and yawning and I didn't want to disturb your much needed slumber.

Is it from Insomnia? incontinence? Indigestion?

Well good luck with whatever it is that keeps you awake in the middle of the night, and makes you feel compelled to inform Elba you're tired at 5AM.

And my post was in response to Fac's Celtics observations, and I thought I did so in a straight forward manner, much as I did to yours about Auerbach.

There was no intended snark on my end. I guess its coming from elsewhere.

As to Jabari Bird's midnight troubles, given recent discussions and given kid's publicly stated appetite for Celtic leftovers and garbage I thought I'd give him a heads up that Ainge may be setting Jabari aside Sunday night, and he may be available for pick-up.

All the best, and here's hoping you enjoy a good nights sleep tonight.

But if i could suggest, perhaps if you removed the bug you got up your ass, that will result in a more uninterupted slumber.

Sweet dreams, Chip.

You humble me before my maker. 

Verily, I am not worthy. 

Oh, and...YAWN. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 09, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »

Bird.

heh.

No room for bad actors there.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 09, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »

I haven't seen any follows-up but supposedly Bird's in court tomorrow.

as an aside Knick's coulda had the orginal in the '78 draft but went with Michael Ray Richardson with the 4th pick (Bird was 6) and Spike Lee would have had to find a new foil and deal with an ethical dilemma

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 09, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

as an aside Knick's coulda had the orginal in the '78 draft but went with Michael Ray Richardson with the 4th pick (Bird was 6) and Spike Lee would have had to find a new foil and deal with an ethical dilemma

Red drafted Bird when he still had one more year of eligibility remaining, did he not, impervious to notions of instant gratification.  I reckon Larry was worth the one year wait, and an interval of sucking.  Something to be said for patience, vision, having a plan, and sticking to it. 

Pistol Pete played in Bird's rookie season, a shadow of himself, and Red wanted him back for another season, but The Pistol adjudged himself more harshly, and couldn't bear to play at something below his personal standards.  I always thought he was too harsh on himself, witness Bill Walton's phoenix-like ascension as a role player, spelling Parish.  Would like to think Pete could have endured as a canny veteran role player, but Pete didn't see himself that way, not out of misplaced ego, but because he didn't think he could bring it anymore.  A lost opportunity, to see Pistol Pete and Bird, as Larry was coming into full fucking bloom. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 09, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »

It was a wise move by Red, no doubt.  But even he admits he didnt know just how good LB was.

No great risk at all.  He knew he was at least getting a perimeter shooter.

Knicks were loaded at forward.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 09, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »

Red drafted Bird when he still had one more year of eligibility remaining, did he not, impervious to notions of instant gratification.  I reckon Larry was worth the one year wait, and an interval of sucking.  Something to be said for patience, vision, having a plan, and sticking to it. 

Pistol Pete played in Bird's rookie season, a shadow of himself, and Red wanted him back for another season, but The Pistol adjudged himself more harshly, and couldn't bear to play at something below his personal standards.  I always thought he was too harsh on himself, witness Bill Walton's phoenix-like ascension as a role player, spelling Parish.  Would like to think Pete could have endured as a canny veteran role player, but Pete didn't see himself that way, not out of misplaced ego, but because he didn't think he could bring it anymore.  A lost opportunity, to see Pistol Pete and Bird, as Larry was coming into full fucking bloom.

Red/Bird-yup he saw an opportunity, much like he did with orchestrating Russell and figuring out a solution to Jo-Jo White's military service obligation. He was special.

And it would have been something to see younger/healthier Maravich and Cowens with Bird. That could have been specatcular.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 09, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »

It was a wise move by Red, no doubt.  But even he admits he didnt know just how good LB was.

No great risk at all.  He knew he was at least getting a perimeter shooter.

Knicks were loaded at forward.

The risk was substantial. Auerbach had a year to sign him or Bird could have opted into the next year's draft and would have likely been the #1 or #2 . (Magic was #1 that year).

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »

Bird had no intention of tuning down Celts, who of course had plenty of cash.  They met his demand.  As all parties figured would occur.

But if you have factual evidence that it was ever in doubt, I'd be grateful.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »

Bird had no intention of tuning down Celts, who of course had plenty of cash.  They met his demand.  As all parties figured would occur.

But if you have factual evidence that it was ever in doubt, I'd be grateful.

Kid this is close to 40 years ago, but as I recall thefe was considerable talk as the deadline approached, and a fair amount of public negotiations, and considerable relief when he signed shortly before the deadline approached.

And it should be remembered, Bird became a star not when the Celtics drafted him after his junior year, but after his Sycamores went undefeated in his senior year, only to lose to Magic and Mich state, in the NCAA finals. Magic went #1 , Bird might have opted into that draft as a much bigger star, and gotten paid more like a #1 or $2 instead of a #6.

As to your beleif, that the "Celtics had plenty of cash" that is a phrase seldom used about the pre-Bird Celtics. The Celtics were the 4th team in Boston, and owned by a string of owners in the 60s 70s and 80s who generally ran the Celtics on the cheap.

Auerbach ran the team almost by himself, there wa little infra-strucutre it was him, Jan Volk (a lawyer/accountant), and Buddy Le Roux (trainer) that was about it.  To say the late 70's Celtic had plenty of cash is simply incorrect.

If Bird wanted to opt out he might have been avialbe to deeper pocket teams like the Lakers owned by Jack Kent Cooke or the Knicks owned by the conglomerate Gulf & Western, both who had far more financial resources than the Celtics.

If you have other specific knowledge of Bird's thinking at the time, and his negotiating strategy, please share.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »

Bird got about 4 times what Magic got.

As a #1, 2.....3 with another team he would not have gotten more.  Celts basically "bought" him, as was their right at the time

And if you check the stats and awards history LB was AWESOME his first 2 years at State - and conference player of the year as a junior.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »

Bird got about 4 times what Magic got.

As a #1, 2.....3 with another team he would not have gotten more.  Celts basically "bought" him, as was their right at the time

And if you check the stats and awards history LB was AWESOME his first 2 years at State - and conference player of the year as a junior.

Kid
Bird as a freshman (he left IU for Indy St) or as a sophmore is irrelevant, he became known as a Jr. and a national sensation as a senior. But there's a big difference  between a mid-major conference player of the year as a junior and AP player of the year as senior.

Bird had all the leverage in his contract situation and he got what he could get from the Celts.

Auerbach was on record as stating publicly that he was not going to make Bird the highest paid player on the Celts, and Bird and Co, said they weren't going to give any discounts. And they settled on a contract shortly before the deadline.

And Bird did not get 4X Magic money. Bird got about 650K Magic got $460K.

Do you just make shit up?

Larry got the "Great White hope" premium and would have gotten it from either the Lakers or Knicks if the Celtics didn't pay up. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:14:54 PM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2018, 10:23:22 PM »

Correction:

Bird got substantially more than Magic

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/10/15/824060/two-for-the-show-the-celtics-larry-bird-and-lakers-magic-johnson-have-the-hottest-hands-to-hit-the-beleaguered-nba-in-a-long-time

You mostly agreed with me in your last post

Forced arguments as always are down the hall.   ----->

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »

Correction:

Bird got substantially more than Magic

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/10/15/824060/two-for-the-show-the-celtics-larry-bird-and-lakers-magic-johnson-have-the-hottest-hands-to-hit-the-beleaguered-nba-in-a-long-time

You mostly agreed with me in your last post

Forced arguments as always are down the hall.   ----->

thanks for verifying my #s.

As I posted and as it says in the first paragraph of that article, Magic got $460K Bird got $650K,

4X 460 would have been almost $1.84 million.

Why did you make up 4X when a quick search can reveal the real $?

This is not a forced argument, I've pointed out your blanket observations were wrong.

If you had any recollection of the NBA pre-Bird and Magic you probably would not have tried to bullshit me.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1847