Voting closed: June 01, 2022, 11:20:06 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81

Author Topic: NBA  (Read 64952 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »

A series of statements will be presented about a mystery player.  Try to answer in as few clues as possible.

0-1 Clues: You are an NBA Savant
2-4 Clues: Experts consider you an expert
5-7 Clues: You know more about the NBA than the other 99%

Here are your first four clues

1. I was born in New Jersey and played 10 Seasons in the NBA for 3 Team with career per game averages of 17 pt 4 reb 3 ast.
2. I once was the career points leader for my final franchise but lost that designation in my final season.
3. I was drafted in the first round #12 by the Detroit Pistons
4. I was a two-time All-Star, even making the game in my Rookie campaign.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »

5. I was a 4-year Starter at Notre Dame

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »

6.  I never won a championship, but i was traded for the guy who was traded for the guy who helped the Pistons finally win.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

7.  After retiring from the Hornets as their #2 scorer all time I did TV color commentary for Detroit, New Jersey, and New York

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »

That's Kelly Tripucka.  Got it with a combination of New Jersey and picked #12 by Detroit. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »

That's Kelly Tripucka.  Got it with a combination of New Jersey and picked #12 by Detroit.

Correct!

After two frustrating seasons with the Jazz, he was traded to the Charlotte Hornets (a new expansion team at the time) for Mike Brown. In his first season with the Hornets, he returned to his All-Star form, leading the Hornets with 22.6 points per game.

In a game between the Hornets and the Jazz in 1989, shortly after Layden resigned as the Jazz's coach, Karl Malone expressed his devotion to Layden by writing "FRANK" on the heels of his sneakers. In a mock gesture, Tripucka responded by writing "DICK" on the back of his shoes (for then-Hornets coach Dick Harter).

The move was seen as a jab at Layden and Malone, who Tripucka felt ran him out of Utah. In Tripucka's second season with the Hornets, he averaged 15.6 points per game, but the team struggled, finishing one game behind their inaugural season's record. The 1990–91 season, Tripucka's third with the Hornets and tenth overall, saw him average career lows with only 7 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, as he came off the bench. Following the season, Tripucka retired from the NBA.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »

I was worried the New Jersey and Notre Dame clues would give it away.  Kudos to Yankguy.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »

Despite only 5 seasons with the team (the last three included playoffs), Tripucka was voted among the "50 Greatest Pistons" in 2008

Tripucka is one of 6 Pistons to score 40 in a playoff game.  The other 5 are:

• Dave Bing
  • Isiah Thomas
  • Jerry Stackhouse
  • Chauncey Billups
  • Rip Hamilton

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2018, 02:29:31 AM »

With Embiid out (rest) Drummond didn't do much 4Q, guarded by
Muscala and sometimes Wil.  One time Drum had Butler posted up and DET didn't get him the ball. 

Muscala played great.  Guarded Drummond well.  Snuffed out drives -- 3 blocks and forced kickouts often.  And he was bombing in 3's when DRummond didn't want to go out so far.  Plus on a Jose botch to end the 3Q.

Stanjohn was out (knee -- maybe why he couldn't hit a shot last game), making it easier for Butler.  So kind of an odd game.  Blake had 24 FT's.  Amir fouled out in just 16 mins.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »

Jamal Crawford hit a game winner for Phoenix last month, his tenth career winner in the last 10 secs of a game. Five active players, all headed to Springfield, have hit more. I'll be shocked if anyone can name all five without getting one wrong, despite that hint.

xxx 19
xxx 15
xxx 14
xxx 11
xxx  11
J Crossover 10
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:27:03 AM by thebizneverloses »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »

Jamal Crawford hit a game winner for Phoenix last month, his tenth career winner in the last 10 secs of a game. Five active players, all headed to Springfield, have hit more. I'll be shocked if anyone can name all five without getting one wrong, despite that hint.

xxx 19
xxx 15
xxx 14
xxx 11
xxx  11
J Crossover 10

lets go with

LeBron
KD
Harden
P. Gasol
Blake Griffin

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

I'd go with:
LeBJ
Wade
Melo
Dirk
Vince

well, we agreed on one ...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:50:54 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2018, 05:38:27 AM »

Where's our answer?

I guess I can try to look it up.

Okay i'll rank 'em while I wait:

Wade 19
Melo  15
Vince   14
LeBJ  11
Dirk 11
J Crossover 10

Ranking is somewhat tough.
Maybe flip Vince and Dirk(?)
Remember Vince was the go to guy on TOR & NJN.
And LeBJ low on the list as he used to be criticized for passing up last second shots.  He deferred to his passing gene, and in MIA, he shared those with Wade.

Melo (and Pierce) were the clutch gusy of their generation, and Melo was always the Guy to take end game shots his whole career (until OKC).

I went with the Old Guard, Bank with the younger crowd.
KD had to share last second shots with Westbrook and now Scurry/Klay.  And KD used to botch a lot of endgame situations in OKC.
harden sure gets ops and is probably getting close, though he seems to score a lot the last 3 to 5 mins, but his buzzer beaters seem to usually be off.  At least in my mind.

Blake had to share with CP3 (who is a pretty good guess himself).  While I wouldn't have thought of Pa Gasol at all.  Means you have to think of his MEMf days.  Kobe would have hogged all the LAL shots, except maybe for a rebound tip-in.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »

...Bank with the younger crowd...

I wagged it, off the top my Spalding, took about a minute. Almost went with Melo, as he's a chucker, but passed, something he rarely did. 

Dirk and Wade are probably on it. I like your list better.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »

Article on players/agents/contracts in the CBA (China Basketball Ass.)
https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/10/chinese-basketball-free-agents-negotiations-pierre-aaron-jackson/

Towards the end talks about how contracts in China have become more partially or non-guaranteed.  And how quickly teams bail on a US player not putting up BIG #'s.

This caught my eye:
A contract in China is 50-pages long because it’s written in both Chinese and English. We have a clause that says the English portion of the contract supersedes the Chinese portion. That way if there’s ever a dispute, the English portion is what prevails.”

Beyer said that some clubs insist that the Chinese portion supersedes the English section. Oftentimes, he says, this is because they’ve had a bad experience with a sleazy agent who changed terms in the English portion and proceeded to screw them over. However, most teams and agents are professional and just want to ensure everyone’s on the same page regarding the contract’s terms.

Well, under Chinese law every contract in China must be in Chinese and the Chinese version is always controlling over any translation.  Even if the contract specifies otherwise.  So such a clause would be unenforceable in China where the team and its money resides.
The English-controlling clause would be valid in US courts, but it would likely be hard to recoup money that way.  Though could help to negotiate a settlement.

They change the game rules for foreigners in China a lot, so I'm not even up on what the limits are.  The article says now it's only two foreigners allowed per team (a few years ago was 3), and they can play in a combined 6 quarters.  But I think it's not that 1 foreigner can play in the 4Q as the article states, but rather one at a time.  Which is maybe what they meant.  Or maybe you have to choose which of your 2 foreigners is your 4Q player.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81