Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 2926

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 755792 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10380 on: June 23, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »

God bless the good "Reverend".

May he outlast the alabastard televangelist scum and “Catholic” bishops intent on perverting the nation’s children with their blasphemy and constant outrageous lies and incitement to violence.
Fortunately, I don’t view those folks as moral arbiters either.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: June 23, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »

Maybe fac should clean up his own town, first: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/06/21/tortillas-thrown-latino-team-california-basketball-game/5296806001/

And

https://www.yahoo.com/now/asian-students-attacked-35-old-185725706.html

Coronado is a trumpy alabastard enclave, racist and insecure. The message that school is trying to teach its students is that racism works if you just practice it hard enough and it makes your sexism seem tame by comparison. Win-win for proto-fascists.

Mean junkie beach bums have been endemic to OB since at least the 70’s. When I read the bit, at least 4 candidates for the aggro crew sprang directly to mind from the current crop of miscreants. The fire pit scene is way more chill on other beaches where it’s harder to score meth.

You’ve given two examples of how letting republicans grow unchecked spreading their various poisons continues to degrade life everywhere in this country.

All I'm saying is that maybe you should start your revolution closer to home, Che.

The revolution is going fine here actually as are the exports. It’s our revolution, Hammy. We’ll carry you with us no matter to what level of bitchass you crank your kicking and screaming.

Unlike Che, I’m no doctor, but to the best of my knowledge no one has found a cure for Philly Snot-nose Disagreeable Ignorance Syndrome yet. I recommend you try leaches.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: June 23, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »

May he outlast the alabastard televangelist scum and “Catholic” bishops intent on perverting the nation’s children with their blasphemy and constant outrageous lies and incitement to violence.
Squeamish as I am about the politicization of the eucharist and the rightward leanings and cultural warrior stance of the US Catholic bishops, and as open to rebuke as the entire church leadership is in its treatment of abusing priests and their victims, I am not sure the Bishops incite violence.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: June 23, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »

Fortunately, I don’t view those folks as moral arbiters either.

Letting someone else serve as your moral arbiter seems like giving up a lot whoever that someone may be. Giving the responsibility to an imaginary friend is probably fine if they are truly morally exemplary in your imagining. Giving it to a regular person who claims to speak on behalf of your imaginary friend is how people wind up on the road to perdition. In the West, that road is usually marked with crosses which should always be taken as caution signs.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10384 on: June 23, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »

Does his "marked change" include apologizing?

For which transgression?
One would be a start.

"What do I have to apologize for? I believed her," Sharpton says. He says he regrets having resorted to "name-calling" against Pagones and that the case taught him to refrain from personal attacks in his activism. But he doesn't regret having stood for Brawley, he says.

Does his "marked change" include apologizing?

For which transgression?
One would be a start.

What do I have to apologize for? I believed her," Sharpton says. He says he regrets having resorted to "name-calling" against Pagones and that the case taught him to refrain from personal attacks in his activism. But he doesn't regret having stood for Brawley, he says.

https://www.npr.org/2013/01/19/169734710/the-rev-al-sharpton-in-six-true-false-statements

”Twenty years later, I have grown. I would still have stood up for Gavin Cato, but I would have also included in my utterances that there was no justification or excuse for violence or for the death of Yankel Rosenbaum. I would have shared a story about what happened when, as a young man, I was brought to the Jewish Theological Seminary by one of the civil rights leaders who had been an aide to Dr. King.

That day, I was introduced to Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel. Rabbi Heschel had marched with Dr. King in Selma in support of the Voting Rights Act. For doing so, Heschel was attacked by some in his community who were very conservative and thought a theologian should stay in his proper place.

He gave me a book and autographed it and, as we talked, I asked him about Dr. King -- the man and the hero.

That's when Dr. Heschel said to me: "Young man, only big men can achieve big things. Small men cannot fulfill big missions. Dr. King was a big man."

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/crown-heights-taught-al-sharpton-reflects-race-rhetoric-rage-split-city-article-1.949228
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #10385 on: June 23, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »

Leeches

If you're going with Medieval medicine, it's also hard to beat trepanation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

My real favorite is the one with heated wine glasses placed all over the back.  Super relaxing!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: June 23, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »

Squeamish as I am about the politicization of the eucharist and the rightward leanings and cultural warrior stance of the US Catholic bishops, and as open to rebuke as the entire church leadership is in its treatment of abusing priests and their victims, I am not sure the Bishops incite violence.

Definitely not all Bishops, but,

http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2021/01/12/capitol-riot-congress-trump-catholic-bishops-james-martin-239697

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: June 23, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »

What do I have to apologize for? I believed her," Sharpton says.

Fair enough.  I guess then it's too much to expect him to apologize for being a moron, then.

Her story was bullshit from day one. 

I don't think the biblical admonition against bearing false witness, one that I assume a Reverend knows well, allows an out for believing a bullshit tale. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:39:07 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10388 on: June 23, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »

Leeches

My real favorite is the one with heated wine glasses placed all over the back.  Super relaxing!

Cupping?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: June 23, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »

I think one of the chapters of Lime's literary project (The White Person's Guide on How Black People Should Protest), should be "How Al Sharpton Can Be Likeable and Not Offend Anyone."  I mean, if Hairy wants all 400-plus pages to just say "Don't" that's cool, too, but maybe this could go in the Notes section, or a David Foster Wallace-style footnote somewhere. 

Disclaimer:  I'm a midwesterner, and not really up on Sharpton's career and opinings the way NYers are.

It is just a little odd to me, from this limited perspective granted, that we had a RW president who got up every morning and said a dozen offensive racist misogynist violence-inciting things by breakfast and we had a large segment of the country making excuses or saying "oh, he just likes to riff," and then Sharpton mouths off a few times decades ago and vast tracts of the American demographic talk like the man's a monster.  It sometimes feels like a black man still can't put his feet up on the desk. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: June 23, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »

Why does "what about Donald Trump?"  play a role in a discussion about Al Sharpton?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: June 23, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »

Definitely not all Bishops, but,

http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2021/01/12/capitol-riot-congress-trump-catholic-bishops-james-martin-239697
Always liked Father Martin. I think Jesuits, historically, get a bad rap.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10392 on: June 23, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »

Leeches

Cupping?

That's it, thanks.  The heated air cools and then it contracts, creating a partial vacuum.  Alternative medicine has brought a revival of the practice.  Trepanation, however, has remained more limited in popularity.   I always ask for the "bowling ball special," but apparently there are insurance issues....

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: June 23, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »

What do I have to apologize for? I believed her," Sharpton says.

Fair enough.  I guess then it's too much to expect him to apologize for being a moron, then.

Her story was bullshit from day one. 

I don't think the biblical admonition against bearing false witness, one that I assume a Reverend knows well, allows an out for believing a bullshit tale.

Wasn't Sharpton found guilty of defaming the DA and had to pay a fine of about $100k?

Which I believe he paid.

He accepted his sentence.

He could have apologized for ruining an innocent man's reputation.

But he chose not to.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: June 23, 2021, 01:00:34 PM »

It is just a little odd to me, from this limited perspective granted, that we had a RW president who got up every morning and said a dozen offensive racist misogynist violence-inciting things by breakfast and we had a large segment of the country making excuses or saying "oh, he just likes to riff," and then Sharpton mouths off a few times decades ago and vast tracts of the American demographic talk like the man's a monster.  It sometimes feels like a black man still can't put his feet up on the desk.

It’s easier for white folks if they don’t have to think about what folks like Revered Al will have to say about their behavior.

They want religious leaders to treat them the way the FBI does when they are plotting a bloody coup. Anyone who doesn’t toe the line is subject to pasty and shrill slings and arrows. The Good Reverend doesn’t seem to mind.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 2926