Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751080 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #16020 on: September 10, 2021, 08:21:24 PM »

Joe Manchin has taken over the election reform and voter protection legislation guaranteeing it will pass and undo republican ratfucking on a number levels both of the older and the newer vintages.

Free national voter IDs from the feds via your local voting rights activists if necessary. Early voting expansion. Curbs on dark money and gerrymandering. 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_613a6127e4b0628d0958fbf9

That would be amazing!

And it would be a game changer.

Given that a filibuster downgrade would probably be necessary, and be of a form acceptable to Sinemanch, that would be quite the game changer.  I'm getting a little excited here,  not something I frequently experience with the US Senate.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I hope the moderates take a longer view and get the fuck out the way of all the legislation.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16021 on: September 10, 2021, 08:23:57 PM »

FDA insiders say vaccine mandate will take a year to implement and overcome lawsuits 

As you were.

So what?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: September 10, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »

American Mark Bingham, gay rugby player, 6'6", is a hero of 9/11...Flight 93.

The Mark Kendall Bingham Memorial Tournament or The Bingham Cup is a biennial international, non-professional, gay rugby union tournament first held in 2002.
It is named after Mark Bingham.
The most recent tournament was held in Amsterdam, Netherlands, in June 2018.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: September 11, 2021, 02:08:33 AM »

If you're ever running from the Mexican cartels in America never use a credit card because they can trace it and find out where you are.
Make sure you are armed...handguns and machine guns are best. They have them.
Make sure you have a reliable vehicle, they have new ones.
They'll shoot your dog.
They'll shoot girls in gas stations.
They are pure evil terrorists.
They kill children, women, men without blinking.
How come Mexican cartels are allowed to do whatever they like in America?
How come no one in America is safe from them?
They have tattooed White people on their payroll.
All shown in the movie 'Marksman' starring Liam Neeson.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:36:26 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: September 11, 2021, 03:17:23 AM »

Bambu is in a cargo cult

and all the cargo comes from Redbox
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: September 11, 2021, 08:38:17 AM »

I live about 100 miles from Mexico, and my city is a majority Latino.

We have two different worlds going on here, and it is all about how you want to live. For some people it is all about gangs and drugs and crime and they find that. For other people it is about Disneyland and sunshine and nice weather and beautiful women and for them it is a resort, and they find that here.

Some people complain about what a ghetto it is here, and for them they are miserable. Other people think this is the best place in the world and every meal is a chance to cook something spectacular, and for them this is paradise.

On the issue of Mexico, when I went to Mexico I saw extreme poverty, and I just wanted to help them. I especially wanted to help the children in Mexico. I saw hungry, dirty children, with lice in their hair. Our enemy in Mexico is poverty. The poverty is horrible.

So, the Mexicans come to the USA to escape the poverty in Mexico. And the good people who help them are good unions such as the United Farm Workers union. The Mexicans help to feed the world. California feeds the world.

I also support the Catholic Church, which helps the orphans in Mexico, etc. And also the Catholic Church provides schools, and hospitals in some areas where they are the only providers of those services.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:40:36 AM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: September 11, 2021, 08:54:58 AM »

http://www.vox.com/vox-conversations-podcast/22652755/vox-conversations-911-reign-terror-war-spencer-ackerman

Those who can see the excesses we have carried out in the bogus name of the War on Terror will largely read and nod, somberly.

Others will read it with either anger or disappointment, sure that America has done only what it had to do, that excess in the name of patriotism is not excess at all, and if we failed to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan as we promised, it is their own fault - and none (or maybe little) of ours that we sent over corrupt businessmen since they were having to deal with corrupt citizens of those foreign countries, anyway.

And if we killed civilians, well, none of them was truly innocent, since they had allowed their evil governments to thrive, anyway. (And blithely ignore that that is the exact excuse that Al Qaeda used to justify their attack on the US.)

I got in a lot of though in the winter following 9/11/2001 with a lot of the folks in my work community for observing that we (the United States) lost more citizens to cancer from smoking every single week than died from the 9/11 attacks.

Even today, that is a dangerous statement to make in too many circles.

Nor is the comparison to deaths from COVID-19 particularly welcome. Or to how many civilians we have been a party to killing over there vs. how many of ours were killed. How many children have we killed?

This is not the same as arguing that we should have done nothing, but we were lied to at the outset of the conflict in Iraq and have been lied to from the beginning about the conflict Afghanistan, in ways far too familiar and in ways new and infuriating.

And our countrymen go all "America, love it or leave it," in the face of objections to our excesses.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: September 11, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »

The love it or leave it folks tend not to love it and have for the most part already left it in their shriveled hearts and failing minds

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/9/11/2049889/-How-warped-are-Trump-loving-white-supremacist-Christian-nationalists-Enough-to-idolize-the-Taliban

facilitatorn

• View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: September 11, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »

As I remember 20 years ago, on 9/11/2001, I remember that we had a lot of people from the original New York Times forums who worked at the Twin Towers.

George W. Bush was President, and he was trying to pull the Western Hemisphere together to help the people of Latin America, Bush was trying to bring us together from the "Top of Alaska to the bottom of Chile." Bush told the world that we had some of the poorest people in the world right here in our back yard in Latin America. Instead of sending all of the jobs to China, Bush wanted to create jobs here in the Western Hemisphere.

Then, the terrorists attacked us, and all of the focus went from helping Latin America to fighting against the terrorists in the Middle East.

Rest in Peace to those who we lost.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #16031 on: September 11, 2021, 01:34:37 PM »

Thanks to Fac, for the Vox interview,  and also Josh,  for trenchant response - it does seem we've been lied to.

When will we learn that American exceptionalism, and exporting values by force,  is what breeds terrorism rather than prevents it.     

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: September 11, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »

We are one of several prominent constitutional democracies,  and we had a notable flowering of innovation and industry in the twentieth century.  We have a vibrant culture that's a hybrid grown from many different immigrant people.   It can all be great without having to the One Most Exceptional and the big World Cop.   We can be influential without letting the Treasury be looted.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: September 11, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »

Hopefully the US will start making those nuke missiles in Australia soon...as reported recently.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: September 11, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »

Hopefully the US will start making those nuke missiles in Australia soon...as reported recently.

If we have a good CIA, then we will not need nuclear missiles. We just surgically remove problems early. We keep the problems small, and we do not let the problems grow so huge that we need nukes.

When I worked at China Lake we were working on the Star Wars Missile Defense Program, we wanted to be able to shoot down missiles. So, there is that too, soon we will be able to shoot down missiles. And we already have a pretty good missile defense program, and so does Israel.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 2924