Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 765140 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #5910 on: April 24, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »

So Oil thinks there can be no trans Republicans.

Who else can't be in the party, pal?

Heh.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: April 24, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »

Oh, those polls!

Mason Dixon Polling and Strategy released a poll indicating 72 percent of independents oppose packing the Supreme Court.

The poll asked, “Do you feel President Joe Biden should or should not back a plan proposed by Congressional Democrats to increase the number of Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States from nine members to thirteen members?”
Thirty-three percent of Democrats said no, 95 percent of Republicans said no, and 72 percent of independents said no.

Seventy-eight percent of independents also said they were familiar with the issue of “court-packing.”

Mason Dixon said, “A total of 1,100 registered voters were interviewed nationwide by telephone” from April 15 through April 19, 2021. The margin for error is no more than ±3 percentage points.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5912 on: April 24, 2021, 05:14:27 PM »

As for getting your scientific estimates from EXXON, lol!
Sure.
An energy company would not want to know the facts.

ROFLMAO!

I bet you believed in the research pr scented by the tobacco industry.

What a shill. What a sucker.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5913 on: April 24, 2021, 05:16:28 PM »

Who else can't be in the party, pal?

Heh.

To paraphrase an old saying, “A trans person supporting the GOP is like a chicken supporting  Col. Sanders!”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5914 on: April 24, 2021, 05:18:19 PM »

Oh, those polls!

Mason Dixon Polling and Strategy released a poll indicating 72 percent of independents oppose packing the Supreme Court.

The poll asked, “Do you feel President Joe Biden should or should not back a plan proposed by Congressional Democrats to increase the number of Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States from nine members to thirteen members?”
Thirty-three percent of Democrats said no, 95 percent of Republicans said no, and 72 percent of independents said no.

Seventy-eight percent of independents also said they were familiar with the issue of “court-packing.”

Mason Dixon said, “A total of 1,100 registered voters were interviewed nationwide by telephone” from April 15 through April 19, 2021. The margin for error is no more than ±3 percentage points.

They’ll feel better after they’ve eaten their peas and discover not only were they good for them they tasted pretty damn well.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: April 24, 2021, 06:46:52 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cheerleaders-snapchat-profanity-gets-us-supreme-courts-attention-2021-04-23

It's a clear cut case.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean diddly for the SCOTUS ruling to come.

A decision in favor of Levy, according to the district and its supporters, could make it harder for teachers and administrators to curb bullying, racism, cheating and invasions of privacy, all frequently occurring online, outside school property or during off hours.

What say you to this then, Josh?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: April 24, 2021, 06:48:46 PM »

Some thoughts on the shooting in Columbus:
From what I have seen of the video I believe this inexperienced officer was too quick to shoot.
Whether he will be charged for his actions is not my concern at this time; improving policing policy and procedures is.
Was the girl in pink, up against the car parked halfway in the street, in imminent danger of being
killed by a 16 yr-old wielding a steak knife?  I would have to say no.
The girl being attacked was facing Ms.Bryant and would have made every attempt to defend herself and it appears to me that she was just about to kick Ms.Bryant as the shots were fired.
I find it hard to believe that a teenage girl has any skills at using a knife to inflict mortal wounds in
a matter of seconds.
I find it hard to believe that two police officers could not disarm a teenage girl with a knife using their clubs, mace, tasers or hand -to-hand combat skills they had been taught.
And I find it beyond belief that 4 shots were fired at what appears point-blank range.
The argument that there is no way to not "shoot-to-kill" seems absurd to me.  I have fired a handgun and it is just as easy to shoot someon in the butt as it is to shoot someone in the back four times.
These shootings are starting to look contagious, like teenage suicides leading to more.
The shooting in Chicago:  Why didn't the kid throw the gun out where the chasing officer would see it?
Bottom line: police are trained to shoot first and ask questions later.  That has got to change and their training has got to improve.
And we as a society must change so that so many interactions between police and the public do not become potential life and death situations.

(As for the rumor that the girl will the knife was the one who called 911, you have to be in a special class of stupidity to believe that and pass it on.)

It speaks

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: April 24, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »

The proposals explicitly aimed at combating the climate crisis or transitioning the country away from fossil fuels saw the more marked partisan divides. For instance, 76 percent of Democrats said they would support spending $174 billion to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, including expanding the country’s EV charging network, while just 28 percent of Republicans said the same.

What’s lost in that debate is perspective. 

The In­ternational En­ergy Agency in 2016 es­ti­mated that
if 50% of all new cars were electric, pe­troleum use would con­tinue to grow be­cause of “trucks, avi­a­tion and the petro-chem­i­cal in­dus­try and we don’t have ma­jor al­ter­na­tives to oil products there.

Exxon Mo­bile estimated more re­cently that
if all new cars were elec­tric by 2025, and the world’s ENTIRE fleet were elec­tric by 2040, liq­uid-fuel de­mand in 2040 would be the same as 2013’s.

The heavy equipment needed for min­ing bat­tery-re­lated min­er­als gen­er­ates emis­sions too. An electric car sit­ting in the  garage, not dis­placing a sig­nif­i­cant amount of gaso­line-pow­ered trans­porta­tion  still suck­s power out of a wall socket, which can make it a net emis­sions con­trib­u­tor.

The bottom line in the battle against “ global climate challenges “ is that EV’s replacing liquid-fueled autos is the proverbial tempest in a teapot.

The shards of that teapot are getting ground to dust in the tempest. We are rapidly developing better batteries, large and small.

Don’t worry. We’ll be taking your keys long before you have to change out your vehicle.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

barton

« Reply #5919 on: April 24, 2021, 07:03:37 PM »

As for getting your scientific estimates from EXXON, lol!
Sure.
An energy company would not want to know the facts.

ROFLMAO!

I bet you believed in the research pr scented by the tobacco industry.

What a shill. What a sucker.

When someone thinks an oil company can be trusted not to massage their data to promote oil,  I figure the chat's over.   I note that Oil's more substantive points Red omitted from his quote and declined to answer.   

barton

« Reply #5920 on: April 24, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »

He just acknowledged there is one.   And wondered what haven they would find in the GOP.   A question you can't answer either,  for obvious reasons.   

barton

« Reply #5921 on: April 24, 2021, 07:16:58 PM »

I find it hard to believe that a teenage girl has any skills at using a knife to inflict mortal wounds in
a matter of seconds...

DJ,  I agree some of your questions are important and deserve investigation.   However,  you should not find it hard to believe anyone can inflict a mortal wound with a steak knife (or similar) in a second or two.   It happens.  And it can happen in a street fight even where skill levels are low.   Multiple arteries lie not far from the surface of a human body and can be opened up with one slash.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: April 24, 2021, 07:24:26 PM »

Watching Season 1 Episode 7 of West Wing - The State Dinner

A hurricane rushing through the Atlantic with a US ship in its sights....

(Democrat) President Bartlett only has connection with a 3rd class seaman - and speaks to him with calm and respect - in such a devastating time of distress

I cannot help thinking - this is how President Bush and President Trump would have also handled a similar crisis

We are too often not together in our appreciation for the trials and the challenges that belie men in the top spot.  We really should be more often.

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/10/the-west-wing-season-1-episode-7-review-the-state-dinner/

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: April 24, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »

He just acknowledged there is one.   And wondered what haven they would find in the GOP.   A question you can't answer either,  for obvious reasons.   

Your implication, Barton - is that a trans person could not possibly have conservative values.

That because the last Republican president was against people of altered gender serving in the military, for instance, that this group of people need disagree with the entirety of that man's (and his party's) platform.

Such folly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:36:10 PM by kidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5924 on: April 24, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »

From what I have seen of the video I believe this inexperienced officer was too quick to shoot.
Whether he will be charged for his actions is not my concern at this time; improving policing policy and procedures is.
Was the girl in pink, up against the car parked halfway in the street, in imminent danger of being
killed by a 16 yr-old wielding a steak knife?  I would have to say no.
The girl being attacked was facing Ms.Bryant and would have made every attempt to defend herself and it appears to me that she was just about to kick Ms.Bryant as the shots were fired.
a matter of seconds.
I find it hard to believe that two police officers could not disarm a teenage girl with a knife using their clubs, mace, tasers or hand -to-hand combat skills they had been taught.
And I find it beyond belief that 4 shots were fired at what appears point-blank range.
The argument that there is no way to not "shoot-to-kill" seems absurd to me.  I have fired a handgun and it is just as easy to shoot someon in the butt as it is to shoot someone in the back four times.
These shootings are starting to look contagious, like teenage suicides leading to more.
The shooting in Chicago:  Why didn't the kid throw the gun out where the chasing officer would see it?
Bottom line: police are trained to shoot first and ask questions later.  That has got to change and their training has got to improve.
And we as a society must change so that so many interactions between police and the public do not become potential life and death situations.

(As for the rumor that the girl will the knife was the one who called 911, you have to be in a special class of stupidity to believe that and pass it on.)

It speaks

And makes a lot of sense.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 2929