Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764442 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6286 on: April 30, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »

FRANCE 24 English

23m  ·

In the war-torn country of #Afghanistan, people are seeking #therapy via TV shows. According to a national survey, over 84% of Afghans have been subject to, or have witnessed, a #traumatic event.

Yet there is little help available and many Afghans are unlikely to reach out to therapists as this is not the norm in their culture.

More to follow on FRANCE 24

https://f24.my/7bxb.f

--------------

Right now would be a great time for a Summer of Love in the Middle East, including in Afghanistan.

Peace, love, good music, togetherness, they can smoke pot and they can drink wine, and they can all help each other to move into a better future with peace and prosperity and good times instead of war.

The old Flower Children from the 1960s need to teach the Middle East how to have a Summer of Love, with live music in the park with people sitting around smoking pot loving each other and enjoying the music.

The police and armies can keep the people safe while the people have a Summer of Love.

Salute,

Tony V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_child

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:31:51 PM by FlyingVProd »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: April 30, 2021, 02:48:43 PM »

Sleepy Joe spilled the beans Wednesday.
Was anybody paying attention?

The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter." 
( New York Times transcript)

Well, then we don’t need to put millions of Americans out of work by eliminating all fossil fuels and rushing into electric cars.
For starters

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/30/politics/cnn-poll-voting-rights/index.html

The GOP's lies have taken hold of their members.

The country suffers from it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: April 30, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »

The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter."

Well, then we don’t need to put millions of Americans out of work by eliminating all fossil fuels and rushing into electric cars.
For starters

Wow,  you caught a man with a speech impediment making a slip!   Hold the presses!  25th amendment!   

BTW,  carbon dioxide is not the only greenhouse gas.   

And we're 5% of the world's population but create 15% of the greenhouse gases.  So what choices we make DO make a difference.  Especially since many countries look to the USA in their aspirations for prosperous standards of living.  Surely you can figure out the impact if the biggest energy users don't learn to conserve while asking other nations to do so.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: April 30, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »

And green cannot be idiotically reduced to one measure like electric cars.   It's everything- how crops are grown,  where and how mass transit is developed,  fixing methane leaks,  protecting carbon absorbing natural places like seagrass meadows,  oldgrowth forests,  wetlands,  rainforests,  natural prairie,  etc.   It likely will mean eating lower on the food chain and not demanding enormous houses with lights blazing in every room,  and not throwing tantrums when we're asked to help recycle and reuse.

In short,  it means setting aside selfishness and laziness and working harder for the common good of the world that gives us life.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: April 30, 2021, 03:59:06 PM »

Biden wants to invest in Amtrak, so I assume Amtrak is going to move into the future and start building high speed trains. It would be silly to spend money to build old out-dated trains, when instead we can have great high speed trains. I also like subways in urban areas.

Salute,

Tony V. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »

And green cannot be idiotically reduced to one measure like electric cars.
Obviously since cars add next to nothing to climate change.
If people want electric cars fine.
But don’t throw auto workers out of jobs to do so when it  will help tank the economy for no conceivable result on a pie-in-the-sky climate fantasy.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: April 30, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »

For starters

Wow,  you caught a man with a speech impediment making a slip!   Hold the presses!  25th amendment!   

And we're 5% of the world's population but create 15% of the greenhouse gases.  So what choices we make DO make a difference.  Especially since many countries look to the USA in their aspirations for prosperous standards of living.  Surely you can figure out the impact if the biggest energy users don't learn to conserve while asking other nations to do so.

Red is unfamiliar with the concept of moral suasion. That is an influential world leader can use its behavior, in this case the US committing to reduce its carbon footprint to guide others to adopt policies they might not otherwise consider.

Red's a fucking idiot.

barton

« Reply #6294 on: April 30, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »

Add the previous sentence or two,  and it changes the meaning....

Look, the climate crisis is not our fight alone. It’s a global fight. The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter...

IOW,  we're part of a global project,  and must act in ways that give other cooperating nations confidence that we're all pulling together.  If we do everything perfectly,  and others aren't inspired to follow suit,  then the battle is lost.   So we cut our emissions and help hold other nations to the same goal so that we DO matter.   

"Moral suasion" as Banks put it.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6295 on: April 30, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »

For starters

Go back to sleep gramps. Get back to us when you’re sober.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #6296 on: April 30, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »

But don’t throw auto workers out of jobs to do so when it  will help tank the economy for no conceivable result on a pie-in-the-sky climate fantasy.

More than nothing.   Vehicles are one fifth of our emissions in the US.   

Also,  workers are still needed to make electric cars, and because of their large and high tech batteries,  many more will be needed in the battery industry.   

And climate change is not fantasy,  except to people living inside their own recti.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: April 30, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »

For starters

Red is unfamiliar with the concept of moral suasion.

He doesn't care. Comprehension is irrelevant to him.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6298 on: April 30, 2021, 05:03:18 PM »

Fossil fuels power conventional autos and extracting, processing and burning oil products contribute to global warming

Who do you think is gonna build the electric cars, Cuzzo?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6299 on: April 30, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »

For starters

Red is unfamiliar with the concept of moral suasion. That is an influential world leader can use its behavior, in this case the US committing to reduce its carbon footprint to guide others to adopt policies they might not otherwise consider.

Red's a fucking idiot.

Red is a cut and paste shill.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 2929