Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 2928

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 758222 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #8776 on: June 07, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »

One important measure included in H.R. 1 is to require a paper record of every vote, so that outcomes can be verified independently.

But the bill needs to go further. Congress also should establish uniform rules for vote counting, certification and challenges. It should also clarify its own role in certifying the results of presidential elections to prevent the possibility that a future Congress would overturn a state’s popular vote.

Some of the areas that are addressed by H.R. 1, including protections for voting and provisions to limit gerrymandering, are also urgent, because the threats to electoral democracy are interlocking. Restricting participation in elections, and playing with district boundaries, both conduce to the election of more extreme politicians, who in turn are more likely to regard elections as purely partisan competitions waged without regard to the public interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/opinion/voting-law-rights-congress.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Editorials

Congress Needs to Defend Vote Counting, Not Just Vote Casting

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:29 PM »

One important measure included in H.R. 1 is to require a paper record of every vote, so that outcomes can be verified independently.

Pork for the US paper industries.

Dunder-Mifflen lobbyists worked double-time for this.

There's no bamboo in our ballots!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: June 07, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »

Congress also should establish uniform rules for vote counting, certification and challenges. It should also clarify its own role in certifying the results of presidential elections to prevent the possibility that a future Congress would overturn a state’s popular vote.

Then Congress is picking the President, not the Electoral College.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: June 07, 2021, 01:02:02 PM »

"Google it."

I did, Larry, and it turns out it's like Banks said. It's not enough to have the people's opinions align with yours. You gotta win elections. Politics.

Whether the "majority of Americans across the political spectrum want what you call progressive economic policies" kind of doesn't matter, if you don't win where you need to win, or generate enthusiasm in individual districts.

Only 16 districts split their votes in 2020
Districts carried by a presidential candidate of one major party and a House candidate of the other party in 2020

MARGIN   
DISTRICT   WINNER   PARTY   FLIPPED SEAT   HOUSE   PRESIDENT   DIFF.
NY-24   John Katkoi   R      R+10.2   D+9.1   +19.2
PA-01   Brian Fitzpatricki   R      R+13.1   D+5.8   +19.0
ME-02   Jared Goldeni   D      D+6.1   R+7.4   +13.5
CA-21   David Valadao   R   ✓   R+0.9   D+10.9   +11.8
CA-39   Young Kim   R   ✓   R+1.2   D+10.1   +11.3
NE-02   Don Baconi   R      R+4.6   D+6.5   +11.1
CA-25   Mike Garciai   R      R+0.1   D+10.1   +10.2
PA-08   Matt Cartwrighti   D      D+3.5   R+4.4   +8.0
NJ-03   Andy Kimi   D      D+7.8   R+0.2   +7.9
WI-03   Ron Kindi   D      D+2.7   R+4.7   +7.4
TX-24   Beth Van Duyne   R      R+1.3   D+5.4   +6.7
FL-27   María Elvira Salazar   R   ✓   R+2.7   D+3.2   +5.9
IL-17   Cheri Bustosi   D      D+4.1   R+1.6   +5.7
MI-08   Elissa Slotkini   D      D+3.6   R+0.8   +4.4
CA-48   Michelle Steel   R   ✓   R+2.1   D+1.5   +3.6
IA-03   Cindy Axnei   D      D+1.4   R+0.1   +1.5
i Incumbent in November 2020

SOURCES: THE COOK POLITICAL REPORT, DAILY KOS ELECTIONS

The GOP’s slight edge in these crossover seats is significant, as it continues a recent pattern in presidential contests of Republicans winning more districts with split outcomes. (Democrats previously held this advantage, from 2000 to 2008, but in 2010 they lost many seats in the South that had long been in their hands despite voters’ leaning toward the GOP at the presidential level.) However, while the GOP may have done somewhat better in the crossover seats in 2020, they still proved to be pivotal to the Democrats’ majority: The Democrats now hold 222 seats overall,4 and that’s in large part thanks to these seats. If they’d lost five or more of these split-ticket seats, Republicans would have gained control. In total, the average gap between the presidential and House margins in the 16 crossover seats was about 9.2 points, while the average difference in the remaining House seats was 4.4 points,5 indicative of just how close the presidential and House races ran together.

And that close alignment will likely be the reality moving forward. Even if the number of crossover seats increases in 2024, it would take a dramatic shift in our politics for enough voters to split their tickets to produce a lot of Democratic House members in seats carried by the GOP presidential nominee or vice versa. Now more than ever, these split-ticket outcomes are the exception, not the rule.

So, banks is right. It's about politics, not necessarily what the majority of Americans or the majority of American voters want.

https://theappeal.org/the-lab/polling-memos/voters-in-frontline-and-swing-districts-support-progressive-policies/

From January

If Manchin wasn’t cook blocking Biden’s BIG FUCKING POLICIES 2022 would be a Democratic blowout in spite of GOP voter suppression, redistricting and other efforts made to push the big lie.

Have a seat.

Guess you couldn't interpret the article I posted. Let me explain. And I'll try to use small words for your understanding.

Unless you win local elections, city and county and state bodies of law, through local politics, you will continue to struggle with power nationally, no matter what a FUCKING EXIT POLL SAYS about how people FEEL. Politic is not about how people FEEL. It's how about you get them to the polls and get them to actually vote.

Didn't Abrams prove that to you already, dummy?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: June 07, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »

It is important for there to be groups of good people to help the immigrants as they come to the USA.

The new immigrants believe in the American Dream, and they come from all over the world to America. They do not know how hard, and dangerous, the USA is. 

I was born here in America, and my family has been in the USA for hundreds of years, I even had a Great, Great, Grandfather who was the Chief of Police of Denver, Colorado, one hundred years ago. And yet I was homeless, and hungry, out on the streets for 2 years, here in America.

I was clean, sober, healthy, with work experience, and with an Associate in Arts degree, along with training as an actor, etc, and I was homeless and hungry out on the streets for 2 years, here in the USA.

Finally I had a nervous breakdown, and I ended up in the hospital, and I came out of the hospital homeless, and finally I got help, a lady from the Philippines helped me, and I attained a good doctor, etc, who helped me. But, the Americans never helped me, it was the immigrants from the Philippines who helped me. 

Our streets are full of homeless people, and there are even homeless Americans who have been in the USA for generations, and we need to do more to help people. And if it is hard for people who have been in the USA for generations, then you can only imagine how hard it is in the USA for our new immigrants. 

We also need to protect the women, we do not want some scumbag trying to turn the women into prostitutes, etc.

The USA is hard, and we need to do more to make the USA kinder, and gentler, and we need to help people instead of just leaving them out on the streets homeless.

We also need to create jobs for Americans, instead of sending all of the jobs to China and to other nations.

There is a lot that we can do to make the USA kinder, and we need to help our new immigrants who come here from all over the world.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: June 07, 2021, 01:34:37 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: June 07, 2021, 01:44:58 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/07/jen-psaki-fox-news-reporters-russian-chinese-propagandists

The republican party IS an slimy appendage of the Russian government.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8783 on: June 07, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »

"Google it."

I did, Larry, and it turns out it's like Banks said. It's not enough to have the people's opinions align with yours. You gotta win elections. Politics.

Whether the "majority of Americans across the political spectrum want what you call progressive economic policies" kind of doesn't matter, if you don't win where you need to win, or generate enthusiasm in individual districts.

Only 16 districts split their votes in 2020
Districts carried by a presidential candidate of one major party and a House candidate of the other party in 2020

MARGIN   
DISTRICT   WINNER   PARTY   FLIPPED SEAT   HOUSE   PRESIDENT   DIFF.
NY-24   John Katkoi   R      R+10.2   D+9.1   +19.2
PA-01   Brian Fitzpatricki   R      R+13.1   D+5.8   +19.0
ME-02   Jared Goldeni   D      D+6.1   R+7.4   +13.5
CA-21   David Valadao   R   ✓   R+0.9   D+10.9   +11.8
CA-39   Young Kim   R   ✓   R+1.2   D+10.1   +11.3
NE-02   Don Baconi   R      R+4.6   D+6.5   +11.1
CA-25   Mike Garciai   R      R+0.1   D+10.1   +10.2
PA-08   Matt Cartwrighti   D      D+3.5   R+4.4   +8.0
NJ-03   Andy Kimi   D      D+7.8   R+0.2   +7.9
WI-03   Ron Kindi   D      D+2.7   R+4.7   +7.4
TX-24   Beth Van Duyne   R      R+1.3   D+5.4   +6.7
FL-27   María Elvira Salazar   R   ✓   R+2.7   D+3.2   +5.9
IL-17   Cheri Bustosi   D      D+4.1   R+1.6   +5.7
MI-08   Elissa Slotkini   D      D+3.6   R+0.8   +4.4
CA-48   Michelle Steel   R   ✓   R+2.1   D+1.5   +3.6
IA-03   Cindy Axnei   D      D+1.4   R+0.1   +1.5
i Incumbent in November 2020

SOURCES: THE COOK POLITICAL REPORT, DAILY KOS ELECTIONS

The GOP’s slight edge in these crossover seats is significant, as it continues a recent pattern in presidential contests of Republicans winning more districts with split outcomes. (Democrats previously held this advantage, from 2000 to 2008, but in 2010 they lost many seats in the South that had long been in their hands despite voters’ leaning toward the GOP at the presidential level.) However, while the GOP may have done somewhat better in the crossover seats in 2020, they still proved to be pivotal to the Democrats’ majority: The Democrats now hold 222 seats overall,4 and that’s in large part thanks to these seats. If they’d lost five or more of these split-ticket seats, Republicans would have gained control. In total, the average gap between the presidential and House margins in the 16 crossover seats was about 9.2 points, while the average difference in the remaining House seats was 4.4 points,5 indicative of just how close the presidential and House races ran together.

And that close alignment will likely be the reality moving forward. Even if the number of crossover seats increases in 2024, it would take a dramatic shift in our politics for enough voters to split their tickets to produce a lot of Democratic House members in seats carried by the GOP presidential nominee or vice versa. Now more than ever, these split-ticket outcomes are the exception, not the rule.

So, banks is right. It's about politics, not necessarily what the majority of Americans or the majority of American voters want.

https://theappeal.org/the-lab/polling-memos/voters-in-frontline-and-swing-districts-support-progressive-policies/

From January

If Manchin wasn’t cook blocking Biden’s BIG FUCKING POLICIES 2022 would be a Democratic blowout in spite of GOP voter suppression, redistricting and other efforts made to push the big lie.

Have a seat.

Guess you couldn't interpret the article I posted. Let me explain. And I'll try to use small words for your understanding.

Unless you win local elections, city and county and state bodies of law, through local politics, you will continue to struggle with power nationally, no matter what a FUCKING EXIT POLL SAYS about how people FEEL. Politic is not about how people FEEL. It's how about you get them to the polls and get them to actually vote.

Didn't Abrams prove that to you already, dummy?

Elections are totally about how people feel. You have to make winning appeals to voters to off set the fear and resentment peddled by those who shoot for LCD.

I have preached on this page for years I you want influence you have to elect dog catchers, school boards and village clerks.

Which is why the Green Party can only act as spoilers in general elections.

Republicans nationalize their local elections which is how white people consistently vote against their own economic self interest.

You call me a dummy, do you have a Jeopardy! appearance replaying in syndication?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: June 07, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

Republicans take over if they pick up just five seats in the House and one in the Senate. Democratic retirements in competitive districts add to their challenge. Reapportionment of the House after the 2020 Census takes away seats from blue states like California. Republicans are poised to dominate the redrawing of district lines in growing states such as Texas and Florida.

“There is little margin for error,” said Rep. Ami Bera (D-Elk Grove), a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee official. “We have to run perfect races.”

https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-brace-2022-elections-little-090029230.html

Dems can't be like the Knicks, lose and then say, "We had a good run, and we're well positioned for next time because the polls show how much people like our positions".

Popular positions don't mean shit, if you don't get things done.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8785 on: June 07, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »

Republicans take over if they pick up just five seats in the House and one in the Senate. Democratic retirements in competitive districts add to their challenge. Reapportionment of the House after the 2020 Census takes away seats from blue states like California. Republicans are poised to dominate the redrawing of district lines in growing states such as Texas and Florida.

“There is little margin for error,” said Rep. Ami Bera (D-Elk Grove), a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee official. “We have to run perfect races.”

https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-brace-2022-elections-little-090029230.html

Dems can't be like the Knicks, lose and then say, "We had a good run, and we're well positioned for next time because the polls show how much people like our positions".

Popular positions don't mean shit, if you don't get things done.

Someone remind Joe Manchin of that fact.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: June 07, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

You call me a dummy, do you have a Jeopardy!

I'll take "Hyperthymesia" for $600, Alex. Oh, wait---forgot you were dead.

Being able to recall trivia is limited to essentially one kind of intelligence.

There are many people who know all the ins and outs of the game of baseball, but they've never actually played the game.

Rain Man knew what airlines not to fly. Did you want him piloting the plane?

Think about it. Because as far as this conversation on politicking goes, your not well positioned to win the argument.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: June 07, 2021, 02:37:52 PM »

People who can write in English use you’re as a contraction and your as a possessive pronoun.

You are a pointless Ass-face, ham. You are not well positioned to make, much less win, any argument.

Go dumpster diving, ham.

Maybe you can dig up a gently used clue with a mile or two left on it somewhere.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: June 07, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »

Yet another example of the police trying to do their job, and the people they go to protect turn on them. Happening a lot lately. Guess if you keep demonizing every cop in America, then there are enough idiots who think they are actually doing the right thing by attacking them.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2021/06/07/nightside-report-june-6-2021-massive-altercation-captured-on-video-in-greektown-oakland-county-police-issue-scam-alert-hot-and-humid-monday/

Expect more chaos, and more gun sales, and more idiocy.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: June 07, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »

Larry

I won my college residential area "Risk" competition, but I'm reasonably sure its doesn't make me a a great candidate for Sec of State or 5-Star General.

Your limp rebuttals using your resume to fend off valid arguments are fucking funny as hell and totally irrelevant.

"Jeopardy" that was some very funny shit.

You need to take a nap Larry.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:57:36 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 2928