Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756600 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10155 on: June 21, 2021, 12:02:27 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:57 AM »

"This is a terrorist attack against the LGBT community," (Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis quickly asserted after a pickup truck plowed into spectators prior to the start of the City’s Stonewall Pride Parade yesterday.

"This is exactly what it is. Hardly an accident. It was deliberate, it was premeditated, and it was targeted against a specific person. Luckily they missed that person, but unfortunately, they hit two other people."

Well, no.  That is not what happened.

The Gay Men Chorus’ President Justin Knight later confirmed in a statement that the driver of the truck was, in fact, a member of their group and hardly  committing an attack. The driver, 77
years  old and unable to March in the parade, got his foot stuck on the truck accelerator.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the tragic accident that occurred when the Stonewall Pride Parade was just getting started," Knight wrote. "Our fellow Chorus members were those injured and the driver was also a part of the Chorus family.

It turns out the driver knew both men who were hit. All three were members of the Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus according to the Florida Sun Sentinel.

But that didn’t stop the left from playing up the discredited “ terrorist attack”.
New York Times journalist Maggie Haberman and liberal writer Lesley Abravanel posted and retweeted statements implying the truck was part of "domestic terrorism."
Abravanel notably tweeted further
the toxic environment created by the laws of a bigot like @GovRonDeSantis & the encouragement of Trump’s terror fueled Turd Reich regime & #GQP made it entirely plausible.

The Police Department officially released a statement on Sunday confirming that the incident
was a tragic accident and "not a criminal act directed at anyone, or group of individuals.

In a later  statement, the mayor doesn't address or retract his initial comments.

Mayor was wrong...should've waited and ascertained exactly what happened before commenting.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: June 21, 2021, 09:03:16 AM »

Thatcis not the role of communion in the Catholic church.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10158 on: June 21, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »

More hair in my nose,  less on my head.   And less on lower legs,  which I'm told can be helped by using shoe liners instead of socks.

Speaking of car rammings that aren't accidents...

https://apnews.com/article/az-state-wire-arizona-police-abbe4e51dcb7de54b4e90f49a419fd19

You really wonder what is wrong with someone who would do this.   Clearly some rage,  and some disconnect from reality,  but how did they get there?

Wow.

Not that it is the main issue but you do realize the cops shot this guy, even though they were not in danger

Well,  yes,  of course they shot a guy who had just deliberately  run over six people and then backed up to run over some more people.   What is your point?   Who was not in mortal danger in this scenario?   You may want to reread.

Apply this to scenarios in which you did not like the outcome

Scenarios differ.   If a man critically injures six cyclists by ramming them with his truck,  and goes after more,  then this would seem a reasonable use of force against someone acting with homicidal intent.  Other incidents may differ.   Which is why police need to be screened and then trained in the ability to proportionate response.  A man who is simply fleeing cops because he feels threatened would call for a different response. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: June 21, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »

What's its role in the Catholic Church?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #10160 on: June 21, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »

"2,4,6,8,
Time to transubstantiate!"

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: June 21, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »

Mind control.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: June 21, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »

On the topic of government initiated atrocities, I present Canada (from research first published in 2013):

Lest We forget: The Starving of Indigenous Children in Canada as a Government Experiment during the 1940s...

As a 10-year-old boy, Alvin Dixon remembers having to milk cows during his stay at a residential school in Port Alberni, B.C. Yet, he was always fed only powdered milk.

Dixon, who is now 76 years old, was forcibly taken from his family in Bella Bella, on British Columbia’s northwest coast, when he was a child and relocated to Port Alberni, B.C., where he said he and many of his classmates were starved.

“We would be so hungry and we would steal these potatoes [from farmers' fields] and eat it raw,” he told CBC News.

Recently published research suggests Dixon’s experiences were part of a long-standing, government-run experiment designed by researchers to test the effects of malnutrition.

The research by food historian Ian Mosby has revealed the experiments involved at least 1,300 aboriginal people, most of them children.

In 1947, plans were developed for research on about 1,000 hungry aboriginal children in six residential schools in Port Alberni, B.C., Kenora, Ont., Schubenacadie, N.S., and Lethbridge, Alta.

One school deliberately held milk rations for two years to less than half the recommended amount in order to get a “baseline” reading for when the allowance was increased.

At another, children were divided into one group that received vitamin, iron and iodine supplements and one group that didn’t, according to Mosby’s research.

One school depressed levels of vitamin B1 to create another baseline before levels were boosted. A special enriched flour that couldn’t legally be sold elsewhere in Canada under food adulteration laws was used on children at another school.

And, so that all the results could be properly measured, one school was allowed none of those supplements.

“The term ‘guinea pig’ comes to mind quite quickly and readily, because that’s what we were, I guess,” said Dixon, who recalls having to fill out forms about his food consumption.

By the time he reached high school, Dixon said he remembers being smaller compared to his non-aboriginal classmates.

Malnutrition experiments began in Manitoba

According to Mosby’s research, the experiments began with a 1942 visit by government researchers to a number of remote reserve communities in northern Manitoba, including places such as The Pas and Norway House.

They found people who were hungry, beggared by a combination of the collapsing fur trade and declining government support. They also found a demoralized population marked by, in the words of the researchers, “shiftlessness, indolence, improvidence and inertia.”

The researchers suggested those problems — “so long regarded as inherent or hereditary traits in the Indian race” — were in fact the results of malnutrition.

Instead of recommending an increase in support, the researchers decided that isolated, dependent, hungry people would be ideal subjects for tests on the effects of different diets.

First Nation councillor demands apology

Today, the chief councillor of the Tseshaht First Nation in Port Alberni demanded an apology from the federal government.

“Canada has been sitting on this and hiding this information from the aboriginal people now since it first happened in the ’40s and ’50s,” said Hugh Braker, who added that the band is horrified by the revelations.

“There needs to be an apology done to the victims of the experimentation,” he added.

Cliff Atleo, president of the Nuu-Chah-nulth Tribal Council, said he wants all information about the tests to be made available to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which is studying the legacy of Canada’s residential schools.

“It’s hard not to get sick to the stomach, given that we are dealing with children at these schools, ” he said.

“This story … is really going to open up some old wounds, and scars that really run deep in our communities.”

Source: Warrior Publications

More on this here:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Administering-Colonial-Science%3A-Nutrition-Research-Mosby/025f9e544e94d696c3a4ec4deda614d782f0b3d7

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: June 21, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »

That is not the role of communion in the Catholic church.

I want to write a longer piece about those bishops who seek to keep some from the table of Christ, but for now I will say this: it is not you table (nor mine). Bishops, priests, etc. are neither the hosts nor the bouncers nor the ones who wrote the guest list. The Eucharist is the resurrected body of Christ given for the life of the world. Jesus Christ is the one who invites the guests (“all you who labor”); he is the host of those who come; he is the setter of the table; and he is the feast which is shared (“Take this, all of you. . .this is my body, this is my blood”). We are guests at the meal, and sometimes (by his calling) servers. So stay in your lane, please. The wait staff doesn’t get to exclude those who want to come. If you don’t like the company Christ calls (and, admittedly, it is a rag tag bunch of sinners, one and all), it’s you who need to leave the table, not them.

~John D. Whitney Sj

Obviously one member of the Society of Jesus clergy cannot speak for the entire Catholic Church, but he seems to be suggesting the same thing as the image I posted put forth.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: June 21, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »

it is the real physical presence of Christ for one thing. It is only to be given to Catholics in good standing, and unlike in other sects is not available for all. I attended Catholic church for years as a non-member and did not take.Communion. After our marriage my wife was told she could not take communion until our marriage was sanctified by the Church.

The Pope has advised the American bishops not to issue their instructions on communion, and to stop involving themselves in culture wars, but US bishops are one of the most conservative set of bishops and are.often at odds with Francis.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #10165 on: June 21, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »

The bishop of my former diocese, Fabian Bruskewitz,  was considered one of the most conservative bishops in the United States and would be,  if still serving,  very at odds with Francis.   

And even if he's a conservative bishop,  and the Bruskewitz was certainly that,  quite possibly the most conservative in America,  which would place him high in the runnin' for most conservative worldwide.... 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: June 21, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

I’m going to have to agree with Ham on this one. It’s a very public carrot for the clergy, letting it be known in front of the whole flock who has and who hasn’t been sufficiently sanctified in their doings for the preceding week. It helps with the whole behavior mod program much more than the damned to Hell bit.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: June 21, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 2927