Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 2927

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 756291 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #10800 on: June 28, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »

Covid was a Boomer Remover from the job market, and that means something.

A surge of retirements during the pandemic is scrambling the Federal Reserve’s plans for taking the U.S. economy off life support.

“This is an extraordinarily unusual time, and we really don’t have a template of any experiences of a situation like this,” said Fed Chairman Jerome Powell in a press conference Wednesday following the central bank’s June meeting. “We have to be humble about our ability to understand the data.”

Throughout the pandemic, officials have emphasized that they were likely to hold interest rates near zero until the labor market returns to full employment, when everyone who wants a job can find one without pushing inflation up uncontrollably.

Full employment has always been notoriously hard to measure, but now it has gotten harder still. Officials look at a range of indicators, including the number of jobs created and the share of the adult population either working or looking for a job.

The rapid rise in retirements translates to fewer people available to work—meaning the labor market could hit the full employment threshold at lower levels of employment and a lower labor-force participation rate than before the pandemic.

Over the past few months the labor market has been recovering, as the economy reopens. But there were still 7.6 million fewer jobs in May than before the pandemic. Because of the retirement wave, the labor market could reach full employment before that gap has been fully made up.

Paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/recent-retirements-throw-wrench-into-feds-economic-recovery-plans-11623879150?mod=hp_major_pos1#cxrecs_s
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: June 28, 2021, 09:37:09 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/australian-scientist-only-foreigner-wuhan-092221107.html

The only foreign scientist at the Wuhan lab that some are blaming for the coronavirus says she didn't catch the virus and she doesn't believe that that lab was the origin of the disease.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #10803 on: June 28, 2021, 09:41:20 AM »

Banks,  it's a fair (and complex) question to ask what are the moral responsibilities of scientists,  and the engineers who apply their findings.   I know Einstein agonized over it.   When he furthered knowledge of the relationship between matter and energy, he realized a potential consequence of that,  and came out strongly opposed to applying that knowledge in the making of weapons.   But his influence was not sufficient to stop governments,  and teams of thousands of engineers,  who self-justified their work as protecting their nations.   By framing the genie as out of the bottle,  every major power could reason that "the other side will have this,  so we must have it,  too."  I'm sometimes astonished we're still here.   

Now we have CRISPR tech,  and while its doomsday aspects seem remote,  it's clear we should be having another "Einstein doubt" moment and really asking what's the worst that can happen.   And what are the ethical boundaries,  and how to enforce them.

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/crispr-revolution-what-you-need-know

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: June 28, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »

2 more mass shootings in Chicago over the weekend

I have hope for that fine city if they get the right leadership installed
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »

'cause all mass shootings are due to lapses in the mayor's office!
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: June 28, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »

I think it's kind and unreasonably hopeful of the press,  and rescuers,  to keep saying "over 150 unaccounted for, " in Surfside.  I think we know where they are.  When a 12 story stack of massive concrete slabs comes pancaking down on you,  you're probably not surviving.   The four survivors were miracles,  really.   And while it's true there could be voids in the basement parking garage, how many people are in their parking garage on a weekday night at 130 am?

Emily Dickinson had it right.   Hope is the thing with feathers. 

Im on the pavement

Oilcanary

• View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: June 28, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »

(from June 15 abc news report)

Lightfoot said officials at the White House reached out to her Tuesday morning to offer support.

"What we will likely learn as the details become clearer is that illegal guns continue to plague us," Lightfoot added. "Gun violence continues to have a deep and painful history in our city. Unfortunately, Chicago is not unique. We are part of a club of cities for which no one wants to belong, cities with mass shootings."

She pleaded for help from the federal government, saying, "This is a national problem."

"Cities individually cannot tackle this problem. We just cannot. In Chicago, we've done absolutely everything possible and we need help from the federal government," Lightfoot said. "When guns are so porous that they can come across our borders as we see every single day in Chicago, we know that we have to have a multi-jurisdictional, national solution to this horrible plague of gun violence."
Im on the pavement

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: June 28, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »

Another reason folks are just not jumping at these glorious job opportunities.

"Come work for us and in a few months we'll reward you with a pay cut!"

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #10809 on: June 28, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »

Another reason folks are just not jumping at these glorious job opportunities.

"Come work for us and in a few months we'll reward you with a pay cut!"
[]

Holly Martins

« Reply #10810 on: June 28, 2021, 10:55:11 AM »

This guest opinion from Joan of Arcadia is quite insightful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/opinion/britney-spears-amber-tamblyn.html

Holly Martins

« Reply #10811 on: June 28, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »

I have hope for that fine city if they get the right white leadership installed

(edited for clarification)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10812 on: June 28, 2021, 11:03:03 AM »

I have hope for that fine city if they get the right leadership installed

Man,  just shut the fuck up willya?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/shooter-who-killed-2-black-people-massachusetts-was-white-supremacist-police-say-2021-06-28/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #10813 on: June 28, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »

I have hope for that fine city if they get the right white leadership installed

(edited for clarification)
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: June 28, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »

I think it's kind and unreasonably hopeful of the press,  and rescuers,  to keep saying "over 150 unaccounted for, " in Surfside.  I think we know where they are.  When a 12 story stack of massive concrete slabs comes pancaking down on you,  you're probably not surviving.   The four survivors were miracles,  really.   And while it's true there could be voids in the basement parking garage, how many people are in their parking garage on a weekday night at 130 am?

Emily Dickinson had it right.   Hope is the thing with feathers.
So much for “ thoughts and prayers”. 
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 2927