Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751912 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #12525 on: July 22, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »

"I can't breathe."

https://news.yahoo.com/dashcam-video-shows-attack-aurora-221646998.html

I'm sure Al Sharpton will be on his way to Aurora this afternoon.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: July 22, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »

Nor should Pelosi allow McCarthy to drop a deuce into punchbowl and she should remove the turds pre-punch.

So you are backing in with "Pelosi gets to approve all appointments since she controls the House"?

JUst say so

Doesn't seem like this was the agreement though - and this is why McCarthy is pulling his stunt.

Pelosi wasn't happy with the concessions that led to the bill - and is acting out, seems to me.  I have long said she is very good at her job.  But McCarthy is no slouch at his.

Let's just watch it play out.
Ha e you read NOTHING anyone has posted in response? THERE IS NO AGREEMEMT. The Republicans rejected the bipartisan committee. Whether Pelosi was happy with the original compromise, which she voted for and supported, is irrelevant because the REPUBLICANS REJECTED THE BIPARTISAN COMMITTEE THEIR OWN PEOPLE NEGOTIATED. Once they did that, Pelosi used her powers as Speaker to create a select committee, which is a right Repo speakers exercised repeatedly. Unlike the bipartisan compromise committee the Republicans rejected, the select committee rests the power to conduct the hearings, choose members, subpoena witnesses, set the rules of procedure and select and call witnesses. If McCarthy did not want to vest those powers in the House majority, HE SHOULD NOT HAVE REJECTED THE BIPARTISAN COMPROMISE NEGOTIATED FOR HIM BY HIS HAND PICKED COMGRESSMAN, WHERE ALL THOSE POWERS WOULD BE SHARED EQUALLY BETWEEN THE PARTIES.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: July 22, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »

Mother Tucker: Fox News host Tucker Carlson called a Black police officer who said he was called the N-word while defending the Capitol on Jan. 6 an "angry, left-wing political activist" on Wednesday.

In April, Capitol police Officer Harry Dunn told "The ReidOut" host Joy Reid that Black officers fought a "different" battle than everybody else as they endured both physical trauma and racist slurs while fending off supporters of former President Donald Trump who stormed the Capitol.

Dunn is among the first people set to testify on July 27 before a new House committee created to investigate the Capitol riot. Ahead of Dunn's testimony, Carlson verbally attacked the officer's impartiality as a witness, citing past social media posts that involved Democratic lawmakers.

“Dunn will pretend to speak for the country's law enforcement community, but it turns out Dunn has very little in common with your average cop,” Carlson said on his show. “Dunn is an angry, left-wing political activist.”

https://news.yahoo.com/tucker-carlson-attacks-black-officer-130837313.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #12528 on: July 22, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »

The guilty (rioters and insurrectionists) are and will be punished.
That is the sole purpose of the committee I.e. find out who is guilty
which REQUIRES AN INVESTIGATION.
McCarthy's fear of the truth is self-evident.  It will hurt his chances to be Speaker.
But his walking away from a just and necessary inquiry
makes him look like a fool and an idiot.

That is not, apparently, what he fears.

All Kevin's fears are tied up in his appeasing Trump at all costs.
No Trump, no Speakership.
"Kevin can go F#€£ himself"!

Democrats don't have to waste their breathe making Republicans look bad.
Trump is doing a bang-up job of that.
With some good assists from DeSantis and Gaetz, and a few others stuffed in the clown car.
Keep that up, and the Red Tide might recede. (ha, been savin' that one)

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: July 22, 2021, 12:23:28 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/glue-holding-us-together-joe-090230167.html

As Democrats face a challenging set of congressional elections next year against well-funded Republicans and adverse historical trends, Biden is taking a hands-on approach to party organization, officials said, a contrast to the more laissez-faire approach of his Democratic predecessor Barack Obama.

The president has been a driving force as the Democratic National Committee sets fundraising records, strengthens its ties to state parties, and reaches out to more voters. Biden's big push comes as the Democrats face an uphill battle to keep control of Congress, where their narrow majorities have already made it hard for him to achieve major parts of his far-reaching legislative ambitions.

Biden is set to deliver a speech Friday on behalf of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe – his first public campaign event as president and perhaps a preview of more presidential politicking to come for congressional Democrats.

Biden has already been very involved in quieter efforts to strengthen and upgrade the DNC, aides said, from speaking at virtual fundraisers – which are closed to the public – to making regular calls with party officials. Aides say he has a vision for how to position Democrats heading into the midterms.

"He wants to help make sure the DNC has the resources they need, so he stays regularly engaged on this," said Jen O'Malley Dillon, the White House deputy chief of staff who serves as one of the president's liaisons to the DNC.

Biden's first priority is being president, O'Malley Dillon said, but "he does wear the hat of the head of the party, and he takes that very seriously."

Jaime Harrison, whom Biden hand-picked to be chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said the president is "the glue that is holding us all together" as the DNC and its affiliated committees look to a tough election season.

The DNC is in "constant communication" with Biden and his staff, Harrison said, and he expects the president to be active on the campaign trail next year for Democratic candidates.

"The president has always been a party guy," Harrison said.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: July 22, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.
No, kiid, they don't. Not anymore. On January 7, maybe, but since that time the Repos have rechecked their political needs and clearly decided it is not in their interest to do so any longer.

Now - on to other purpose -

Republicans feel the actions of BLM
SQUIRREL!
and others have been swept under the rug - and want investigation of that included in the commission's work.
Why? If BLM is related in any way to 1/6 that would be relevant. But they weren't. They are two unrelated subjects. The summer protests did not impact the security of the Capitol and did not motivate those who stormed the Capitol. That is why the negotiated bipartisan committee the Repos in the end rejected did not include it. It would be like a Benghazi committee looking into the USS Cole.
This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6

note:  yes, some in the Republican party want 1/6 in the rear view - totally - fearful of the next witch hunt that may be coming at their party

Democrats want to sully the reputation of Republicans who may be looking to run for office (see Trump) - possibly even looking to get some good legislators removed from their position (see McCarthy). This along with their well meaning looks into the horrid acts from 1/6.

It will all get done in time - and we will be better for it.  But let's be fair - follow the agreement,
JESUS LEAPING CHRIST THERE IS NO FUCKING AGREEMENT. THE REPUBLICANS KILLED THE BIPARTISAN COMMITTEE.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: July 22, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »

If Repos wanted the Committee Katko negotiated for they should have voted for it. They didn't. Pelosi only formed the select committee when the bipartisan negotiated committee was torpedoed by the Repos who have zero interest now in getting to the truth of 1/6. Try to keep up. It is not that hard.

Let's face it - both sides want answers re:  the extremists involved in 1/6 - and how moving forward a better job can be done tracking these miscreants.

No.

Your party explicitly does not want answers. Some do, but not McCarthy, who answers to Trump, and not McConnell. And certainly not Trump.

Jim Jordan is another who does not want answers. Greene, as well. I am less familiar with the other rep, besides Jordan, that Pelosi kicked.

But my suspicion is that Jordan is going to called as a witness, which is part of why he cannot be on the thing.

Remember that we still have not seen the footage of the tours given prior to 1/6 - those will either highlight a number of aberrant US Reps from the GOP or it will clear the lot of them from suspicion. But they need to come out and it could be that while Pelosi is not stating causes for actions that that might be among them.

Might.
Not to forget, Jim Jordan has an established history of looking the other way to ignore some pretty reprehensible conduct.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: July 22, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/7/21/2041160/-Monthly-child-tax-credit-payments-are-already-changing-lives-more-of-that-please-Democrats

Meanwhile .5% of congressional republicans have retained the capacity for governance or bipartisanship, the same percentage among the recent Covid deaths who went out and got the vaccine.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

« Reply #12533 on: July 22, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »

The Republicans rejected the bipartisan committee. Whether Pelosi was happy with the original compromise, which she voted for and supported, is irrelevant because the REPUBLICANS REJECTED THE BIPARTISAN COMMITTEE THEIR OWN PEOPLE NEGOTIATED. Once they did that, Pelosi used her powers as Speaker to create a select committee, which is a right Repo speakers exercised repeatedly. Unlike the bipartisan compromise committee the Republicans rejected, the select committee rests the power to conduct the hearings, choose members, subpoena witnesses, set the rules of procedure and select and call witnesses. If McCarthy did not want to vest those powers in the House majority, HE SHOULD NOT HAVE REJECTED THE BIPARTISAN COMPROMISE NEGOTIATED FOR HIM BY HIS HAND PICKED COMGRESSMAN, WHERE ALL THOSE POWERS WOULD BE SHARED EQUALLY BETWEEN THE PARTIES.

There is only one strategy in Congress:  paint the other party as insincere and too biased to conduct an impartial investigation.  If McCarthy torpedoes any bipartisan panel, then he's nicely set up to impugn the findings of any select committee and receive his Trump anointment.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »

Megyn Kelly gets skewered, as she should. I guess she hasn't been feeling relevant, lately.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/2021/7/21/22587338/megyn-kellys-vile-attack-on-naomi-osaka-s-e-cupp

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »

"I can't breathe."

Not at all racist, nope not you, Forrest!
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: July 22, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »

The guilty (rioters and insurrectionists) are and will be punished.
That is the sole purpose of the committee I.e. find out who is guilty
which REQUIRES AN INVESTIGATION.
McCarthy's fear of the truth is self-evident.  It will hurt his chances to be Speaker.
But his walking away from a just and necessary inquiry
makes him look like a fool and an idiot.

That is not, apparently, what he fears.

All Kevin's fears are tied up in his appeasing Trump at all costs.
No Trump, no Speakership.
"Kevin can go F#€£ himself"!

Democrats don't have to waste their breathe making Republicans look bad.
Trump is doing a bang-up job of that.
With some good assists from DeSantis and Gaetz, and a few others stuffed in the clown car.
Keep that up, and the Red Tide might recede. (ha, been savin' that one)

When the red tide recedes Florida hopes it takes DeSantis with it.

Holly Martins

« Reply #12537 on: July 22, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »

If BLM is related in any way to 1/6 that would be relevant. But they weren't....

It would be like a Benghazi committee looking into the USS Cole...

Yup. 

It's the post-truth era.  Relevance is another causalty.  (edit: and spelling, also a casualty...)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:45:34 PM by Barton3.0 »

Holly Martins

« Reply #12538 on: July 22, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »

"I can't breathe."

Not at all racist, nope not you, Forrest!

This needs a text link, Nate-Bed.  Am at work and can't watch videos.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: July 22, 2021, 12:42:24 PM »

No.

Your party explicitly does not want answers. Some do, but not McCarthy, who answers to Trump, and not McConnell. And certainly not Trump.

Jim Jordan is another who does not want answers. Greene, as well. I am less familiar with the other rep, besides Jordan, that Pelosi kicked.

But my suspicion is that Jordan is going to called as a witness, which is part of why he cannot be on the thing.

Remember that we still have not seen the footage of the tours given prior to 1/6 - those will either highlight a number of aberrant US Reps from the GOP or it will clear the lot of them from suspicion. But they need to come out and it could be that while Pelosi is not stating causes for actions that that might be among them.

Might.
Not to forget, Jim Jordan has an established history of looking the other way to ignore some pretty reprehensible conduct.

JJ looking away....

Damn.

That completely captures him in a way that can never be unseen.

That needs to be stenciled on every surface in all of his offices and done as a mural on the side of his house.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 2924