Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751410 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #13785 on: August 11, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »

Clearly the issue of defunding or not defunding the police (as well as what it means) involves national politicians in the Senate, the House, and the White House.

How do I know that?

Because Senator Tuberville put forth an amendment calling for punishment of communities that defund their police,

Senator Booker was excited about that proposed amendment:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/08/11/cory-booker-tommy-tuberville-defund-the-police-newday-vpx.cnn
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13786 on: August 11, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »

Clearly the issue of defunding or not defunding the police (as well as what it means) involves national politicians in the Senate, the House, and the White House.

How do I know that?

Because Senator Tuberville put forth an amendment calling for punishment of communities that defund their police,

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/08/11/cory-booker-tommy-tuberville-defund-the-police-newday-vpx.cnn

Masterful bit of trolling by Sen. Booker.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: August 11, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »

TALIBAN SEIZING CITIES AS US PULLS OUT

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: August 11, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »

What Bo doesn't say was that while China did a very good job containing the virus in country, they were wholly indifferent to the rest of the world getting infected and suffering due to their actions, and lied and covered up their complicity and allowed the virus to spread globally.

Mostly an incorrect appraisal.  Local officials largely covered things up, partly because a big political confab was scheduled.  Mistakes were made in not understanding how transmissible the virus was.  A culture of secrecy and not taking responsibility.  Etc.   But China reacted once the scope of the Wuhan outbreak became clear. 

One of the incidents which convinced the Chinese Gov't to act and be more forthcoming was when a positive case turned up in Thailand circa mid-January which convinced the CH medical experts and leadership that the virus was highly contagious and needed to be dealt with more openly.   That is, China was slow initially and messed up its handling, so that a whole city and much of a province became a viral hotspot.  But then China took strong effective measures.  There was no disregard for other countries.  Central China got hit hard.  China faced reality once they realized the virus made its way to Thailand so quickly.

The funny thing is China seemingly was expected to recognize and be prepared to handle and snuff out a novel coronavirus pandemic.  But the US had time to prepare -- China started its lockdowns on Jan 22, by Feb 22 the virus was in No. Italy and sure to spread in borderless Europe.  And yet those 15 initial US cases that Trump talked about became the world's worst national outbreak.  Why is China held to a higher standard, when the richer and more high-tech US couldn't manage to stop or effectively reduce transmissions, despite a couple months of lead time and greater information available?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »

BOYCOTT BEIJING OLYMPIAD!!!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: August 11, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »

What Bo doesn't say was that while China did a very good job containing the virus in country, they were wholly indifferent to the rest of the world getting infected and suffering due to their actions, and lied and covered up their complicity and allowed the virus to spread globally.

Mostly an incorrect appraisal.  Local officials largely covered things up, partly because a big political confab was scheduled.  Mistakes were made in not understanding how transmissible the virus was.  A culture of secrecy and not taking responsibility.  Etc.   But China reacted once the scope of the Wuhan outbreak became clear. 

One of the incidents which convinced the Chinese Gov't to act and be more forthcoming was when a positive case turned up in Thailand circa mid-January which convinced the CH medical experts and leadership that the virus was highly contagious and needed to be dealt with more openly.   That is, China was slow initially and messed up its handling, so that a whole city and much of a province became a viral hotspot.  But then China took strong effective measures.  There was no disregard for other countries.  Central China got hit hard.  China faced reality once they realized the virus made its way to Thailand so quickly.

The funny thing is China seemingly was expected to recognize and be prepared to handle and snuff out a novel coronavirus pandemic.  But the US had time to prepare -- China started its lockdowns on Jan 22, by Feb 22 the virus was in No. Italy and sure to spread in borderless Europe.  And yet those 15 initial US cases that Trump talked about became the world's worst national outbreak.  Why is China held to a higher standard, when the richer and more high-tech US couldn't manage to stop or effectively reduce transmissions, despite a couple months of lead time and greater information available?

I am Xi Jinping  and I approved the above message.

中共中央主要负责人

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: August 11, 2021, 10:56:23 AM »

China has an ongoing outbreak of delta variant.  Last I heard it was up to 300 positive cases in over a dozen provinces.  It is believed that a Russian flight crew member deposited virus in a plane.  Two of the Nanjing cleaning crew caught the virus and spread it locally.  By the time this was identified, the virus had escaped Nanjing.

China has been very vigilant about what are called here import cases.  Primarily at airports but also along borders, some of which can be fairly porous and loosely regulated in far flung regions.  Back last fall there were two family members who became sick and tested positive in SH.  Traced back to the airport.  So the entire block was quarantined for 2+ weeks, blocked off with safety tape, while workers in hazmat suits interacted with them and disinfected.  The medical personnel and guards and others involved were not permitted to return home, with temporary housing for them built on site on the cordoned-off street.  Much contact tracing and lots of testing undertaken to help contain that minor outbreak.

2 cases unchecked can become 200, then 2000, then 2 million.
Which is why the new outbreak is so alarming.  300 cases is a big number, spread across roughly 15 disparate locations.  Hard to contain and contact trace.  One infected person had gone to a 3000 seat theater in a different town on vacation.  It's also the more transmissible Delta variant.
So China is very concerned this could get out of hand.
Which could require a month long national lockdown, which no one wants.

Another issue is China only has roughly a 50% vaccination rate.  Partly because the Chinese vaccines are reported to be only 50% - 72% effective, while the risk of contracting the virus is quite low.  While CH pharmaceutical companies have had plenty of scandals over the past 2 decades, so institutional trust is low.

I assume many of the officials being sacked are at the airport and involved in Nanjing health protection and planning, failing to protect citizens from imported airplane-related cases.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: August 11, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »

中共中央主要负责人

So ya got nothing ...

Explain to me why China was expected to snuff out a previously unknown coronavirus that appeared without warning.  While the US had a month and a half or more to prepare, knowing what was coming, and yet was still was completely unable to stop transmission?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Holly Martins

« Reply #13794 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »

中共中央主要负责人

Well,  now I better understand your moniker,  Red State.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: August 11, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »

"I don't think zero tolerance can be sustained," Xi Chen, a health economist at the Yale School of Public Health, told The Associated Press. "Even if you can lock down all the regions in China, people might still die, and more might die due to hunger or loss of jobs."

Nomura, a Japanese investment bank, downgraded its growth forecast for the Chinese economy from 8.9 percent to 8.2 percent, citing "draconian measures" by the government.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/china-weighs-whether-abandon-covid-zero-tolerance-approach-n1276333

Holly Martins

« Reply #13796 on: August 11, 2021, 11:14:51 AM »

中共中央主要负责人

So ya got nothing ...

Explain to me why China was expected to snuff out a previously unknown coronavirus that appeared without warning.  While the US had a month and a half or more to prepare, knowing what was coming, and yet was still was completely unable to stop transmission?

I agree there's a double standard.   I think part of the response grew from an unreasonable expectation that a place that had the world's foremost research center on coronaviruses, the WIV,  would be better poised to handle, and snuff out, a new coronavirus,  especially after the 2004 experience.   I think this expectation is driven by ignorance of the difficulties and complexities of identifying and developing action on sneaky novel infections.   It wasn't like the Wuhan Institute had a bat mobile (har) with which they could zoom out into the hot zone and save the day like caped superheroes.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: August 11, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »

It wasn't like the Wuhan Institute had a bat mobile (har) with which they could zoom out into the hot zone and save the day like caped superheroes.

I don't see why that would have helped.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: August 11, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »

Red is just trying to deflect blame from the gross indifference, homicidal tendencies, lying, and incompetence that define the circle-jerk junta of the republican party that leads inevitably and predictably to so much loss and so much death.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: August 11, 2021, 11:56:13 AM »

How do I know that?

I'm sure Coach Tuberville can draw up a game plan, but I assume that Red is embarrassed by good coach's grasp of federalism.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 2924