Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 750682 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #14265 on: August 17, 2021, 11:34:24 AM »

Biden: “American forces should not fight in a war and die in a war that Afghan forces aren’t willing to fight in themselves.”

Does anybody disagree with this?

What war?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: August 17, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »

Imagine if we had a President who said, "Well, the Germans refuse to fight against the Nazis so we need to just let Germany fall to the Nazis." 

And we do not have any good patriotic Americans anymore. Our rich people are Bezos, and Gates, and I do not see them doing much for America, they are just out for themselves and their own agendas, they could care less about America.

And we have Elon Musk, and he is from South Africa, and we have Richard Branson who is British. None of those guys care about what is happening in Afghanistan.

Our best guys were the poor soldiers who never had power and who just did what they were told. If only we had good leaders at the top with vision. 

And some of the Arabs support the Taliban the same way that White Supremacists support the Nazis, they are on the same fucking team.  

It is all so frustrating. 

What is Spain saying? What is going on at the United Nations?

We cannot accept the Taliban returning to power.

Some people act like we are just going to stand aside and let the Taliban return to power, and it must not happen.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #14267 on: August 17, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »

Some Afghans were always going to welcome the Taliban back,  because they saw them (in spite of the oppression) as less corrupt than any civil government.  Taliban is the Pashto word for "students, " and refers to them all being raised in the madrassa system and its very disciplined approach to life.   For Pashtuns generally,  who are about fifty percent of Afghans,  Taliban rule means more Pashtun power.   For men,  it promises better job prospects when all women are forced from their present jobs (as has already begun,  per NYT,  in major cities) and vacancies need filling.   

Basically,  most ordinary people there aren't concerned with big-picture stuff,  like how great western secular government maybe possibly someday be.   Poor nations are full of poor people who have poor people priorities. 

Some are concerned about women's rights,  which may explain why the Taliban spokespeeps are singing happy songs about the New Improved Softer emirate they're bringing.   It'll be interesting to see if any of that is real -- one could hope that students fresh from the madrassa in the 90s are now older and wiser.   Sending women home suggests maybe not.   Maybe not chopping off your hands for swiping an orange is the best that can be expected.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: August 17, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »

Some people act like we are just going to stand aside and let the Taliban return to power, and it must not happen.

I trust you're okay with sending more American kids to fight the Taliban in what has been essentially a 40-year long Civil War.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: August 17, 2021, 12:54:10 PM »

Imagine if we had a President who said, "Well, the Germans refuse to fight against the Nazis so we need to just let Germany fall to the Nazis."

Dumb analogy.

(And we did say that.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #14270 on: August 17, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »

I trust you're okay with sending more American kids to fight the Taliban in what has been essentially a 40-year long Civil War.

Tony:

Standing aside and letting Taliban return is exactly the deal Trumpeo brokered.   You would do well to take some time and read the longer articles posted here,  and get informed on the issues.   

Maybe next time an Al Qaeda pops up in Afghanistan, we send a small CIA wetworks crew instead of spending a trillion trying to "nation build. "  Or simply tell the ruling Taliban: "You said you'd keep them out.   Stick to your pledge and we'll send you a few billion."  That's what the Mughal empire did when they had to deal with Afghans.   Pay them off.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: August 17, 2021, 01:14:21 PM »

We should have went in from the beginning with the intentions of transforming Afghanistan, we should have taken out the bad guys and then brought in ships full of cotton seeds, etc, and farming equipment, etc. The terrorism there is a symptom of the disease of the whole big picture in Afghanistan, we need to change the big picture to stop them from fostering terrorism. 

And if you go into Afghanistan right now and arm the women, and tell them what is happening so that they are fully aware, they need someone like Braveheart leading them to battle. Tell the women, if you want good human rights, and if you want good human rights for your daughters, then you need to fight right now. Now is the chance before all hope is lost.

They need to regain control, and then bring in the ships full of cotton seeds, etc, and they can plant apple trees, and whatever. 

The French Foreign Legion can help. The United Nations, can help. Spain can help. 

Bezos could go in and help if he cared. If I was the richest man in the world I would have already been fixing Afghanistan, I would be on the world news right now telling everyone my ideas on ways to save Afghanistan. 

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: August 17, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »

Biden already promised  he would send back a large and devastating force if the Taliban interrupted our withdrawal.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: August 17, 2021, 01:59:20 PM »

Biden already promised  he would send back a large and devastating force if the Taliban interrupted our withdrawal.
I didn't ask Biden. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: August 17, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »

Yeah

They aren't - which is hardly the point.

U.S. defense and intelligence officials appear to have severely underestimated the Taliban's military capabilities, and severely overestimated the power of the civilian government in Kabul and the Afghan Armed Forces supporting it.

The American flight from Kabul will be a stain on President Joe Biden's legacy and stand as a monument to American foreign policy hubris. After two decades, trillions of dollars, and hundreds of thousands of deaths, the Taliban are back in charge.

Biden will wear the shame of the Afghanistan tragedy. But so too will his three predecessors, including former President George W. Bush who embarked upon the open-ended conflict before shifting his attention to the similarly disastrous invasion and occupation of Iraq.

- DAVID BRENNAN
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: August 17, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »

I didn't ask Biden.
LOL!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: August 17, 2021, 02:05:25 PM »

I didn't ask Biden.
LOL!
You have a weird sense of humor.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: August 17, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »

Some Afghans were always going to welcome the Taliban back,  because they saw them (in spite of the oppression) as less corrupt than any civil government.  Taliban is the Pashto word for "students, " and refers to them all being raised in the madrassa system and its very disciplined approach to life.   For Pashtuns generally,  who are about fifty percent of Afghans,  Taliban rule means more Pashtun power.   For men,  it promises better job prospects when all women are forced from their present jobs (as has already begun,  per NYT,  in major cities) and vacancies need filling.   

Basically,  most ordinary people there aren't concerned with big-picture stuff,  like how great western secular government maybe possibly someday be.   Poor nations are full of poor people who have poor people priorities. 

Some are concerned about women's rights,  which may explain why the Taliban spokespeeps are singing happy songs about the New Improved Softer emirate they're bringing.   It'll be interesting to see if any of that is real -- one could hope that students fresh from the madrassa in the 90s are now older and wiser.   Sending women home suggests maybe not.   Maybe not chopping off your hands for swiping an orange is the best that can be expected.

What, like when I left school in 1964, and because married women were not allowed to work in almost all occupations there was a job vacancy for me?.
Man was king, and there were jobs for men, and jobs for women. Male rates of pay and female rates of pay.
The female rates of pay were less.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: August 17, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2021/08/17/biden-asks-americans-to-act-like-grown-ups--but-republicans-are-too-addicted-to-being-brats/

“Unfortunately, we have a serious obstacle to acting like a grown ass country: A loud-mouthed Republican minority who, like toddlers who refuse to put their pants on, insist on having a full-blown whiny baby tantrum.”
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: August 17, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »

Instead of people taking to the media in Afghanistan to tell people to fight, the media in Afghanistan has the Taliban telling the women not to worry, and they are telling people how nice the Taliban is and about what good leaders they will be.

It is all bullshit.

And Biden is not King of the world, we still have the United Nations, and Spain and France and others. The world must not go along with the transfer of power to the Taliban.

People need to go on the media in Afghanistan and tell the people to fight, they need someone like Braveheart leading them to battle. Just because Biden wants to turn Afghanistan over to the Taliban does not mean that the world needs to go along with it.

I do not approve of Biden's policy in Afghanistan.

Salute,

Tony V.

Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 2924