Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1315 1316 [1317] 1318 1319 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 752778 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #19740 on: November 04, 2021, 03:25:48 PM »

Tried a couple on-topic posts on previous page.  Trying again.  I know we could have a political discussion forum here if we made a little effort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/11/04/bidens-doing-better-than-you-think/

Meanwhile, the media, having pronounced Biden no better than his predecessor on foreign policy and responsible for a loss of faith in American leadership (after ending a 20-year war), are now at pains to explain allies enthusiastic embrace of Biden at the Group of 20 and COP26 summits. He leaves with historic commitments to curtail deforestation and methane emissions.

So why are Biden poll numbers down? Why are so many wringing their hands about the fate of his presidency (some certain that the 45th president will be back in power in 2025)? And why were Virginias election results so poor?

Several factors explain the perception gap, not all of Bidens making. First, partisans on both sides and horserace-centric pundits in the media continually stress what Biden has not achieved. No paid family leave! Democrats didnt get even more taxes on the rich! Apparently, getting three-quarters of an ambitious agenda is no longer a victory. If losing out on paid family leave and expansion of Medicare coverage to vision and dental benefits while bringing home a bushel of other legislative results amounts to

DC Dems have about 6 months to swing momentum and blunt the very real perception of a bumbling Biden incapable of pulling the ropes of the big tent to keep it from collapsing on him. Unless Progs and Mod Dems pull together the tent will fall and the fascists will will fill the vacuum.

Biden still has a chance to salvage '22 and his presidency but the window has shrunk.

GO BIG was so idiotic as to be unimaginable.

It only underscored how fractured the party was and how impotent Biden is.

Not a great look.

GO HOME is becoming the alternative to the policy of GO SMART that Biden avoided.

It would have been relatively easy to bag a few big political wins, recover from covid, infrastructure bill, goose the economy, get the rich to pay taxes, but the dumb motherfuckers thought they had a 70% mandate.

They didn't.

heh

Larry I didn't know you were a graduate of the Kid-Red School of Political Discourse.

heh

Trodding over old ground and still going in the wrong direction.

heh

I suppose screaming "GO BIG" at an old man's limp dick might work from time to time.

I hope it works for you and Joe.

HEH

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19741 on: November 04, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »

Tried a couple on-topic posts on previous page.  Trying again.  I know we could have a political discussion forum here if we made a little effort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/11/04/bidens-doing-better-than-you-think/

Meanwhile, the media, having pronounced Biden no better than his predecessor on foreign policy and responsible for a loss of faith in American leadership (after ending a 20-year war), are now at pains to explain allies enthusiastic embrace of Biden at the Group of 20 and COP26 summits. He leaves with historic commitments to curtail deforestation and methane emissions.

So why are Biden poll numbers down? Why are so many wringing their hands about the fate of his presidency (some certain that the 45th president will be back in power in 2025)? And why were Virginias election results so poor?

Several factors explain the perception gap, not all of Bidens making. First, partisans on both sides and horserace-centric pundits in the media continually stress what Biden has not achieved. No paid family leave! Democrats didnt get even more taxes on the rich! Apparently, getting three-quarters of an ambitious agenda is no longer a victory. If losing out on paid family leave and expansion of Medicare coverage to vision and dental benefits while bringing home a bushel of other legislative results amounts to

DC Dems have about 6 months to swing momentum and blunt the very real perception of a bumbling Biden incapable of pulling the ropes of the big tent to keep it from collapsing on him. Unless Progs and Mod Dems pull together the tent will fall and the fascists will will fill the vacuum.

Biden still has a chance to salvage '22 and his presidency but the window has shrunk.

Not a great look.

GO HOME is becoming the alternative to the policy of GO SMART that Biden avoided.

It would have been relatively easy to bag a few big political wins, recover from covid, infrastructure bill, goose the economy, get the rich to pay taxes, but the dumb motherfuckers thought they had a 70% mandate.

They didn't.

heh

Larry I didn't know you were a graduate of the Kid-Red School of Political Discourse.

heh

heh

I suppose screaming "GO BIG" at an old man's limp dick might work from time to time.

HEH

Was I wrong about going big?

Evidently Joe thought it was a good idea.

Considering 98% of the Democratic Congress is on board with Joe Bidens policies why arent you yapping at the  two moderates pissing in the punch bowl?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:42:15 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19742 on: November 04, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »

Not a great look.

They didn't.

heh

heh

heh

HEH

Was I wrong about going big?

Evidently Joe thought it was a good idea.

Considering 98% of the Democratic Congress is on board with Joe Bidens policies why arent you yapping at the  two moderates pissing in the punch bowl?

Yes you were wrong.

It was political poison and you were told this in June of 2020.

You were advised Joe should be focused on a few issues that he could win and capitalize into political gains in '22.

and if he played it smart he could rebuild the Dem coalition and become a current day FDR with his own New Deal with a 2nd term.

Going Big started at $7 B and was cut to $4.5 billion and then $3.5 B and then $1.8 B.

As Dems understood they had a problem. 

And the problem went well beyond Manchin an Sinema.

Nobody knew what was in a then $3.5 trillion bill as it was never explained to the public how $3.5 T was to be spent..

It was a platform for the Repubs to sell as tax and spend Dems in a time of rising inflation.

And that is believable and marketable to the 70% of Americans who don't drink the Progressive Kool Aid..

And the Repubs used that platform well.

And I'm a Dem that is sympathetic to many of the BBB initiatives.

The marketing was inept.

and the intra party infighting doomed it.

And now it may sink Dems in '22 and '24.

You were so fucking wrong them and and you remain so fucking wrong now.

But keep on yelling GO BIG at an old man's limp dick.

It might work for you.

But it seems to have failed Joe.

LMAO

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:49:07 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19743 on: November 04, 2021, 04:04:15 PM »

To me, it seems pretty clear:

Had Manchin and Sinema gone along with this in the summer and the bills passed, such that action and change were being seen by November, the election might have looked a little different, because the Dem candidates would have had something done to talk about, rather than the abstractions of coulda/woulda/shoulda.

The problem wasn't "GO BIG," per se, but misjudging what those two would go along with and could therefore be expected to come about.

Talking about GO BIG, while showing DO NOTHING (from many perspectives, if not mine) was doomed to fail and always will be.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19744 on: November 04, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »

Unfortunately Biden seemed to prove he couldn't manage his own party. What confidence would voters have he could manage anything as complex as a $3.5 T transformative plan which would impact so many Americans? Even if the initiative were brilliant?.

Joe bit off more than he could gum.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #19745 on: November 04, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »

It is time for the USA to do a new Immigration Law, and we need to make all of our immigrants legal, so that they can join labor unions and so that they can all the police in the case of an emergency, etc. Biden and the Democrats need to work hard to put together a new Immigration Law and they need to work hard to make our immigrants legal. George W. Bush, and Jeb Bush, and other Republicans can help to win Republican votes in Congress for a new Immigration Law and to make our immigrants legal.

Now is the time to make our immigrants legal, and to write a new Immigration Law. And we need to make it easy for our good neighbors from Canada and Mexico, etc, to become legal in the USA. We can also use Mexican truck drivers, and Canadian truck drivers, etc.

And we need to invest in ports in Mexico.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19746 on: November 04, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »

Unfortunately Biden seemed to prove he couldn't manage his own party. What confidence would voters have he could manage anything as complex as a $3.5 T transformative plan which would impact so many Americans? Even if the initiative were brilliant?.

Had the bill passed, it would not have been Joe managing it, it would have been the responsible agencies which have handled far more money.

"Can't handle his own party" = Schumer not being able to handle two senators out of 50. No, Joe couldn't, either. I suspect he either had more confidence than he should have in himself or in Schumer, though possibly Manchin just flat out lied when he said what would bring him into the fold. (I would not be surprised by that last at all.)

If Biden was lied to, he has few avenues of response in the current Congress. Should he have never believed Manchin to start with?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19747 on: November 04, 2021, 04:31:56 PM »

Had the bill passed, it would not have been Joe managing it, it would have been the responsible agencies which have handled far more money.

"Can't handle his own party" = Schumer not being able to handle two senators out of 50. No, Joe couldn't, either. I suspect he either had more confidence than he should have in himself or in Schumer, though possibly Manchin just flat out lied when he said what would bring him into the fold. (I would not be surprised by that last at all.)

If Biden was lied to, he has few avenues of response in the current Congress. Should he have never believed Manchin to start with?!

Had the bill passed?

"Balls", said the Queen, If I had two, I'd be king".

What might have been.

The point was Joe thought he was lead dog in this shit-show.

Except he's been sniffing Manchin's ass for the past 6 months.

Biden told us he could negotiate with the other side and get stuff done.

But he couldn't negotiate successfully with his own party.

That was the message he sent to voters.

And American's saw its alpha-dog rolling over.

It wasn't a good look.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19748 on: November 04, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »

We've been asked what it is that we are afraid will not be taught as a result of banning CRT, given that CRT is not used in the schools. I provided a truncated answer, previously, but this is a fuller response.

From someone who teaches AP US History:

If you are confused as to why so many Americans are defending the confederate flag, monuments, and statues right now, I put together a quick Q&A, with questions from a hypothetical person with misconceptions and answers from my perspective as an AP U.S. History Teacher:

Q: What did the Confederacy stand for?
A: Rather than interpreting, let's go directly to the words of the Confederacy's Vice President, Alexander Stephens. In his "Cornerstone Speech" on March 21, 1861, he stated "The Constitution... rested upon the equality of races. This was an error. Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Q: But people keep saying heritage, not hate! They think the purpose of the flags and monuments are to honor confederate soldiers, right?
A: The vast majority of confederate flags flying over government buildings in the south were first put up in the 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement. So for the first hundred years after the Civil War ended, while relatives of those who fought in it were still alive, the confederate flag wasn't much of a symbol at all. But when Martin Luther King, Jr. and John Lewis were marching on Washington to get the Civil Rights Act (1964) and Voting Rights Act (1965) passed, leaders in the south felt compelled to fly confederate flags and put up monuments to honor people who had no living family members and had fought in a war that ended a century ago. Their purpose in doing this was to exhibit their displeasure with black people fighting for basic human rights that were guaranteed to them in the 14th and 15th Amendments but being withheld by racist policies and practices.

Q: But if we take down confederate statues and monuments, how will we teach about and remember the past?
A: Monuments and statues pose little educational relevance, whereas museums, the rightful place for Confederate paraphernalia, can provide more educational opportunities for citizens to learn about our country's history. The Civil War is important to learn about, and will always loom large in social studies curriculum. Removing monuments from public places and putting them in museums also allows us to avoid celebrating and honoring people who believed that tens of millions of black Americans should be legal property.

Q: But what if the Confederate flag symbol means something different to me?
A: Individuals aren't able to change the meaning of symbols that have been defined by history. When I hang a Bucs flag outside my house, to me, the Bucs might represent the best team in the NFL, but to the outside world, they represent an awful NFL team, since they haven't won a playoff game in 18 years. I can't change that meaning for everyone who drives by my house because it has been established for the whole world to see. If a Confederate flag stands for generic rebellion or southern pride to you, your personal interpretation forfeits any meaning once you display it publicly, as its meaning takes on the meaning it earned when a failed regime killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in an attempt to destroy America and keep black people enslaved forever.

Q: But my uncle posted a meme that said the Civil War/Confederacy was about state's rights and not slavery?
A: "A state's right to what?" - John Green

Q: Everyone is offended about everything these days. Should we take everything down that offends anyone?
A: The Confederacy literally existed to go against the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the idea that black people are human beings that deserve to live freely. If that doesn't upset or offend you, you are un-American.

Q: Taking these down goes against the First Amendment and freedom of speech, right?
A: No. Anyone can do whatever they want on their private property, on their social media, etc. Taking these down in public, or having private corporations like NASCAR ban them on their properties, has literally nothing to do with the Bill of Rights.

Q: How can people claim to be patriotic while supporting a flag that stood for a group of insurgent failures who tried to permanently destroy America and killed 300,000 Americans in the process?
A: No clue.

Q: So if I made a confederate flag my profile picture, or put a confederate bumper sticker on my car, what am I declaring to my friends, family, and the world?
A: That you support the Confederacy. To recap, the Confederacy stands for: slavery, white supremacy, treason, failure, and a desire to permanently destroy Selective history as it supports white supremacy.

It's no accident that:
You learned about Helen Keller instead of W.E.B, DuBois

You learned about the Watts and L.A. Riots, but not Tulsa or Wilmington.

You learned that George Washington's dentures were made from wood, rather than the teeth from slaves.

You learned about black ghettos, but not about Black Wall Street.

You learned about the New Deal, but not "red lining."

You learned about Tommie Smith's fist in the air at the 1968 Olympics, but not that he was sent home the next day and stripped of his medals.

You learned about "black crime," but white criminals were never lumped together and discussed in terms of their race.

You learned about "states rights" as the cause of the Civil War, but not that slavery was mentioned 80 times in the articles of secession.

Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don't have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.

Racism is perpetuated by people who refuse to learn or acknowledge this reality.

You have a choice.

- Jim Golden

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19749 on: November 04, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »

I can't speak too well about VA's race, but in NJ the real issues surrounding the governor's race had little to do with Biden, and much to do with property taxes, property taxes, and property taxes. The governor ran a pretty bad campaign and almost blew it to a guy who is really only about himself.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19750 on: November 04, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »

My friend drives a Honda CRT, I think.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19751 on: November 04, 2021, 04:34:44 PM »

Dem talking heads CRUSHING McCauliffe - to protect Biden.

Discuss.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19752 on: November 04, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »

Murphy wins NJ Governor:
https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/11/murphy-wins-bruising-nj-governors-race-narrowly-beating-ciattarelli-for-2nd-term.html

Its just amazing how those in charge continue to count all the Republican votes first, finding out how many Dem votes they need to come up with to overtake..

heh

This baseless allegation of election fraud is unacceptable.

I believe you would say "Stop it" or other such things.

Stop.

j
o
k
e

It is a blatant Orwellian call to a violent witch hunt playing out in schools and school systems across the country.

Bay on you hip shot mangy hound. You are the joke, neither funny nor complicated.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19753 on: November 04, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »

C'monnn, man...

Joe is simply ineffective

Eye test.  Ear test.  Whatever test.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile