Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 2921

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 745123 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #23610 on: January 31, 2022, 01:50:37 PM »

Biden looks stupid for guaranteeing a black woman SCOTUS. Good pols never put their own balls in a vise.
Nonsense, Forrest. Plenty of highly qualified African American candidates. The Repos criticizing him on this issue would find something wrong with any process he used. No reason for him to pay attention to any of that criticism.
Easier to ignore it.
Truth is Biden never considered anyone except black women, in his campaign promises and his presidency.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23611 on: January 31, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »

Biden looks stupid for guaranteeing a black woman SCOTUS. Good pols never put their own balls in a vise.
Nonsense, Forrest. Plenty of highly qualified African American candidates. The Repos criticizing him on this issue would find something wrong with any process he used. No reason for him to pay attention to any of that criticism.
Easier to ignore it.
Truth is Biden never considered anyone except black women, in his campaign promises and his presidency.
And?
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #23612 on: January 31, 2022, 02:11:21 PM »

He campaign promised to act so the Court would look more like America.  So that's what he's doing.  What's the problem?  One aim of SCOTUS which has been stated repeatedly is that its nine jurists embody the spectrum of life experiences amd perspectives that is America.

The net political effect for Biden will be negative. Up to 76 per cent in some polls say Biden is appointing a black woman(while not giving a whit about anyone else) solely to curry favor with black voters.
In reality that is an insult to blacks.
But if diversity is the goal and only a woman can meet those standards then it would be best to define diversity.
Dr. King had an opinion that it has more to do with things other than the skin color.

Consider the argument put forth by University of Tennessee Law Professor Benjamin Barton in an OpEd in the Wall Street Journal.
Today the court has become increasingly homogeneous. Recent justices have come from remarkably similar background and the reported front-runner, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, would fit right in.

Judge Jackson grew up in a major metropolitan area, and her father was a lawyer. She would be the fifth sitting justice to fit that profile. She earned both her bachelor  and law degrees at Harvard and would be the seventh justice with an Ivy League undergraduate degree and the eighth graduate of Harvard or Yale law school.

She clerked for Justice Stephen Breyer and would be the sixth justice to have served as a Supreme Court clerk. Two of her prospective colleagues, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, likewise succeeded the justices for whom they clerked. After clerking, Judge Jackson worked at an elite Washington law firm focusing on appellate litigation, as did five other current justices. She has served as a federal appellate judge, like every other justice but Elena Kagan, and would be the fourth justice from the District of Columbia Circuit.

She did serve as a federal district judge Sonia Sotomayor is the only current justice with that experience), on the U.S. Sentencing Commission and as a public defender. Yet on the whole, her experiences from Harvard on greatly resemble those of the justices already on the bench.
She is extremely well qualified in the conventional term achievement in elite academic and legal competitions, But is that all that matters?

Professor Barton offers a different view of diversity in choosing the pre-ordained Black Woman.

Mr. Biden may want to look closely at another name reportedly on his short list: Judge J. Michelle Childs.
She is  a product of the Columbia, S.C., public school system who earned a scholarship to the University of South Florida and got her law degree at the University of South Carolina both public institutions. She made partner at a Columbia law firm practicing labor and employment law and has worked in state government and served as a state and federal trial judge.
Both she and Judge Jackson are highly qualified to serve on the court, but in terms of sheer diversity, Judge Childs has an advantage.

In the end, short of unforeseen scandals, real or imagined, Biden will get a black woman as he has promised for over 2 years.

And it will have little if any effect on the midterms.

You were not content posting a bunch of Bullshit you had to Pile it Higher and Deeper... and keep the words and name of Dr. King out of your mouth.
Is it just me or was there a major disconnect between what RED appears to have written himself and the quote? Prof Barton has nothing to say about the black female thing, just thinks Biden should consider other demographic and political issues as well.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23613 on: January 31, 2022, 02:18:30 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?
And?
It is an insult to all Americans and specifically non-whites.
By doubling down on this policy Biden will continue losing not only minorities but also any clear-minded, rational person.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:40:07 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23614 on: January 31, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »

Here is a link with some info on some of the natural hot springs in Nevada...

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nevada/7-hot-springs-nv-you-visit-in-winter/

When I was a kid we used to soak in the natural hot springs in Nevada on the Filippini Ranch.

My parents owned a lot of land sixty miles outside of Battle Mountain, Nevada, and they tried to do a cattle ranch like in the television show Bonanza, but it did not work out. But for a while we had our own commune going on in Nevada, we had a whole bunch of people all living together in Nevada.

Nevada is a great place for the hippies, and for the flower children, and for the immigrants, and for the homeless people, they can have communes at the hot springs. They can bring in architects from Greece, and from Rome, and from Spain, and they can build apartment complexes like in Santorini, Greece, complete with swimming pools and tennis courts, and they can also be close to the natural hot springs.

Instead of waiting for 5 years for HUD housing, or for the refugees living on military bases, it would be better to build housing in Nevada.

And they can do trade with San Francisco, and they can raise beef for McDonald's, etc. And they can raise pigs, and chickens, etc, and they can help to feed San Francisco.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23615 on: January 31, 2022, 02:37:38 PM »

Is it just me or was there a major disconnect between what RED appears to have written himself and the quote? Prof Barton has nothing to say about the black female thing, just thinks Biden should consider other demographic and political issues as well.
And so do most Americans.
Especially after a year of his administration that was marked by his insistence that only a black woman would be considered for Vice President.
My post was an answer to Barton claiming SCOTUS needs to reflect diversity.
But his definition of diversity is based solely on sex and skin color.
Now we see democrats splitting into camps on just who is the best black woman for the job.
I do not see how his limited range of candidates will sit well with other non-white minorities.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:40:32 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23616 on: January 31, 2022, 02:53:54 PM »

Especially after a year of his administration that was marked by his insistence that only a black woman would be considered for Vice President.
Now we see democrats splitting into camps on just who is the best black woman for the job.
I do not see how his limited range of candidates will sit well with other non-white minorities.

Federalist Society

Shut up
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23617 on: January 31, 2022, 03:15:30 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?
And?
By doubling down on this policy Biden will continue losing not only minorities but also any clear-minded, rational person.

Clear minded rational people understand that President Biden is the best defense against the shitty wishes of fuckwads like you. Stop fucking up democracy, Red. Self-deport already. You are a useless wrongheaded burden on society.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #23619 on: January 31, 2022, 03:26:29 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?
And?
How would you know what a clear minded rational person would think? No one will care outside of your right wing sources.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23620 on: January 31, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?
And?
How would you know what a clear minded rational person would think? No one will care outside of your right wing sources.
That is not an opinion. It is a fact.  Note my  use of the word CONTINUE which is reflected in all polling.
If you conclude that Biden, by focusing only on black women, is not offending other minorities and whites  you are mistaken.
But if you maintain only right wing sources care  then party on dude.

Holly Martins

« Reply #23621 on: January 31, 2022, 03:48:30 PM »

Oddly, when I looked at my post, that was not the definition I gave.  But I did say diversity of life experience and perspectives.  The fact that being a black woman in America offers certain experiences and perspectives that, say, Neil Gorsuch does not have seems to be troubling to you. 

No one here said that diversity is based solely on sex and skin color.  If you want to argue that no ethnic, religious, demographic considerations should ever influence the selection of justices, then make that argument.  But I think these kinds of metrics of diversity have been in play since Louis Brandeis, and met with approval from both parties.

Were whites offended when Sotomayor was appointed?  If so, was their offense warranted?   

Holly Martins

« Reply #23622 on: January 31, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »

Yep, Prof seemed more advocating the fine idea that SCOTUS need not be so much a Yale/Harvard club. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23623 on: January 31, 2022, 04:10:18 PM »

Easier to ignore it.
And?
And?

Clear minded rational people understand that President Biden is the best defense against the shitty wishes of fuckwads like you. Stop fucking up democracy, Red. Self-deport already. You are a useless wrongheaded burden on society.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #23624 on: January 31, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »

Oddly, when I looked at my post, that was not the definition I gave.
It was exactly. But why apologize for it? 
Of course a Black woman would have different experiences and perspectives that, say, Neil Gorsuch does not have. But that would be true of ANY candidate.
The question that troubles most voters is why substitute exclusion for diversity? A SCOTUS appointment is a big deal for a Presidents so why narrowly define the qualifications?   Under the restraint imposed by Biden a modern version of Thurgood Marshall would never be found.
Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 2921