Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2228 2229 [2230] 2231 2232 ... 2715

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 498670 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #33436 on: March 06, 2023, 05:38:13 PM »

It was just last month when president Biden signed an executive order that called on all federal agencies to launch a whole of government approach to Equity

Federal agencies are now required to designate leaders to implement equity mandates and release yearly action plans to the public.

The order even gives agencies AI instructions. [ i] When designing, developing, acquiring, and using artificial intelligence and automated systems in the federal government, agencies shall do so, consistent with applicable law, in a manner that advances equity. [[/i]

But what does Equity mean?

Bill Maher asked American Bernie Sanders.

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher made the point that equality and equity mean two different things and asked Sanders how he would differentiate between equity and equality

I do not know what the answer to that is.
I think that, you know, equality is equality of opportunity. All right?

Maher then says
Equity I think is more a guarantee of outcome, is it not?
which Sanders says,
I think so?
So, which side do you come down on?
Maher asks.
Uh, Equality, said Sanders.

[/i]Maybe Sanders should be applauded for his ludicrous response.

After all he is right, for a change.
No, he is not. Neither Maher (no surprise, he is an idiot), you (also no surprise, to the extent you are not an idiot you are an intellectually dishonest PROVEN LIAR who would deliberately misstate matters for your own Comically Transparent Partisan purposes) or Sanders appears to understand the difference. Equity is not a guarantee of outcome, but a tool to allow for equality to be truly available for all.

The example I always give is from The Two Towers. Remember the scene on the battlements at Helm's Deep, where Legolas and Gimli are standing, while the army of Uruk Hai approach? Legolas, being tall (even taller in Tolkien, but Jackson made him the same height as the Rohirim) could could see over the battlements, but Gimli, a dwarf could not. That is equality: both had an equal opportunity to look, but Gimli, being too short, could not make use of that equality.

As Gimli jumps up and down, trying to see, Legolas looks at him and asks, "should I describe it to you, or would you like me to fetch you a box?" Equity is that box: not an equal outcome, but a tool that allows for an equal competition,  and understanding that some people face barriers that impact the ability to truly be equal. Gimli had height as his barrier, but there are societal and cultural barriers as well. Equity does not guarantee outcome but rather seeks to find away for outcomes to be based on equal talent and not unequal opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 05:39:48 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33437 on: March 06, 2023, 06:18:14 PM »

Thanks Lime.

I am afraid you lost Red at No.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryB!

• View Profile

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #33439 on: March 06, 2023, 08:46:46 PM »

It was just last month when president Biden signed an executive order that called on all federal agencies to launch a whole of government approach to Equity

Federal agencies are now required to designate leaders to implement equity mandates and release yearly action plans to the public.

The order even gives agencies AI instructions. [ i] When designing, developing, acquiring, and using artificial intelligence and automated systems in the federal government, agencies shall do so, consistent with applicable law, in a manner that advances equity. [[/i]

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher made the point that equality and equity mean two different things and asked Sanders how he would differentiate between equity and equality

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Yes he is.  Government does not have the luxury of curing inequalities with a box.
The best it can do is to ensure equal treatment under the laws it passes.
The rest is up to individuals.

Equity, no matter how you define it, is not guaranteeing equal outcomes because that, in  itself, simply is discriminatory.
As Jimmy Carter succinctly put it
Life is not Fair.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33440 on: March 06, 2023, 08:55:39 PM »

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Yes he is.  Government does not have the luxury of curing inequalities with a box.
Liar.

Equity, no matter how you define it, is not guaranteeing equal outcomes.
Tell that to Maher.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #33442 on: March 06, 2023, 09:35:05 PM »

As Gimli jumps up and down, trying to see, Legolas looks at him and asks, should I describe it to you, or would you like me to fetch you a box? Equity is that box - not an equal outcome, but a tool that allows for an equal competition,  and understanding that some people face barriers that impact the ability to truly be equal. Gimli had height as his barrier, but there are societal and cultural barriers as well. Equity does not guarantee outcome but rather seeks to find away for outcomes to be based on equal talent and not unequal opportunity.

I suppose they must
get really sad about, like, 
being really little and that.
People looking at them
and laughing at them.
Calling them names.
You know, like short arse...

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #33443 on: March 06, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Liar.

Tell that to Maher.
Why?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:39:31 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33444 on: March 06, 2023, 09:45:16 PM »

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Liar.

Tell that to Maher.
Why?
"Maher then says
Equity I think is more a guarantee of outcome, is it not?"

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #33445 on: March 06, 2023, 09:53:42 PM »

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Liar.

Tell that to Maher.
Why?
"Maher then says
Which it is as promised by politicians and social Justice advocates.
It is also impossible to achieve.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33446 on: March 06, 2023, 10:17:29 PM »

(Prepare to laugh)

Maher then says
which Sanders says,
I think so?
Maher asks.

No, he is not.
Liar.

Tell that to Maher.
Why?
"Maher then says
Liar.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #33447 on: March 06, 2023, 10:24:54 PM »

Maher then says
Liar.
Why did you leave off the answer by Sanders?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #33448 on: March 06, 2023, 11:10:50 PM »

Equity is the good Civil Rights that we all enjoy in America as a result of the work and struggle by many for a long time.

Equity is the fact that we receive 50,000 tourists everyday here in Anaheim as a result of people working for a long time to build up our Tourism Industry. And Equality is everyone having an equal shot at profiting from the Tourism here in Anaheim.

Equity can be lost from people being lazy and from people not working to make sure that they benefit from the work of generations before them. Many areas that used to be wealthy are poor now because the people stopped doing what it was that brought them success.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33449 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »

Maher then says
Liar.
Liar.
Why did you leave off the answer by Sanders?
Wby did you leave out the context which makes it clear i was specifically responding to Maher, Liar?
Pages: 1 ... 2228 2229 [2230] 2231 2232 ... 2715